• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Dr. Mario Social Thread - Witches? Dragons?...I've seen worse walk into my office.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Try Perfect Pivot F-smash if you haven't already. You won't be disappointed.

Yeah it's universal tech, but on Doc in particular whose F-smash is really strong in close range, this is pretty efficient.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834

Yeah it's universal tech, but on Doc in particular whose F-smash is really strong in close range, this is pretty efficient.
Done it already, can confirm that it's definitely something to implement into your play.

Also another thing. If you have to recover vertically, jumping and then doing Dr Tornado works better than jumping afterward if you can't mash to get much height and only float. Not to mention it's occasionally a good mix up when an opponent is attempting to edgeguard you. Obviously you shouldn't do it too much cause you can really get gimped, but remember you can still jump before Dr Tornado in some situations. Mostly more vertical recoveries than anything.

Also if I'm wrong and this is actually a really bad idea/absolute death, tell me pls. It shouldn't be though

Dobbston

Smash Apprentice
Also if I'm wrong and this is actually a really bad idea/absolute death, tell me pls. It shouldn't be though
It's true that jumping and wall jumping give the tornado extra vertical height when using it but I don't like going for it unless I absolutely have to have the extra height since it costs a double jump. You do have to use this trick on some stages if you want to edgeguard low, like with Dair or something, where you can't wall jump back up.

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
It's true that jumping and wall jumping give the tornado extra vertical height when using it but I don't like going for it unless I absolutely have to have the extra height since it costs a double jump. You do have to use this trick on some stages if you want to edgeguard low, like with Dair or something, where you can't wall jump back up.
Yeah I get what you mean. Its not safe, but rarely I take advantage of it because it mixes up recovery a little. Just a reminder that it's still an option for that extremely small chance you'll need it.

Dr.SMASHING

Smash Apprentice
NNID
coolSean
3DS FC
3110-4089-5828
I like Dr.Mario in this Smash. Even though he was nerfed, I still think he's good, although any edgeguard attempt destroys him...

TheGreatMetagod

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGreatMetagod
Is it known that Doctor Mario can angle his up-b? I've been surfing the boards, but I've seen no mention of it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Is it known that Doctor Mario can angle his up-b? I've been surfing the boards, but I've seen no mention of it.
Known forever since like...Melee lol.

What's a little less obvious is that angling your Up-B is actually really important for doing certain edgeguards without SDing.

TheGreatMetagod

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGreatMetagod
Known forever since like...Melee lol.

What's a little less obvious is that angling your Up-B is actually really important for doing certain edgeguards without SDing.
Not everyone has played Melee. I just noticed that most Docs I play don't angle it.

Cezz624

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cezz624
3DS FC
2964-9447-5535

How can one perform a perfect pivot F-smash during the heat of battle? Whenever I try to perform the attack during a match, I always end up dash attacking by accident. I've been using the control stick and A to do it. Is there an easier way to perform it?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
How can one perform a perfect pivot F-smash during the heat of battle? Whenever I try to perform the attack during a match, I always end up dash attacking by accident. I've been using the control stick and A to do it. Is there an easier way to perform it?
Map smash attacks to the c-stick. Makes things infinitely easier for any character.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Does Dr Mario have good kill set-ups that your opponent can't DI out of? Just wondering if he has any?

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Does Dr Mario have good kill set-ups that your opponent can't DI out of? Just wondering if he has any?
Doc doesn't really have "guaranteed" KO confirms. As in strict combos into kill moves. The key thing about playing Doc is he has a lot of KO moves that aren't actually very difficult to land. Most of the time you'll kill people in juggle reads (with Up-B or F-air), pressuring them to press buttons when they're on the defensive (catching rolls/dodges/oos options with U-smash/F-smash/Up-B), or during edgeguards (with Tornado or D-air). Doc has no shortage of moves for capitalizing on opponents in these types of situations.

On floaties though you can do Jab2 -> Up-B, which after the 2nd Jab is an unblockable string. They can jump out of it, but it's still a really strong and relatively safe setup. Still not a bad mixup on non-floaties given the Up-B is fast enough to interrupt or punish them for trying to mash out.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I just landed a down throw sweet spotted forward air above 100% with a single jump. (No reads) That is NOT supposed to happen.

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
I know what tornado spikes are, I've seen a lot of them from Luigi players in matches I've watched. I get the basic idea with them, but is there any specific way to mash tornado to get it with Doc? Sometimes when I try this I end up gimping myself, though it's most likely just because my mashing (as always) could be better. I personally haven't tried it much myself but I would like it explained anyway

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
You have to hit the very bottom of the hitbox with Doc and rise so you get 1 hit as far as I know. Luigi's is much easier and I've pulled it off several times.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Doc doesn't really have "guaranteed" KO confirms. As in strict combos into kill moves. The key thing about playing Doc is he has a lot of KO moves that aren't actually very difficult to land. Most of the time you'll kill people in juggle reads (with Up-B or F-air), pressuring them to press buttons when they're on the defensive (catching rolls/dodges/oos options with U-smash/F-smash/Up-B), or during edgeguards (with Tornado or D-air). Doc has no shortage of moves for capitalizing on opponents in these types of situations.

On floaties though you can do Jab2 -> Up-B, which after the 2nd Jab is an unblockable string. They can jump out of it, but it's still a really strong and relatively safe setup. Still not a bad mixup on non-floaties given the Up-B is fast enough to interrupt or punish them for trying to mash out.
I know those already, but thanks for the info though. As for that Jab2 -> Up-B, I'll have to practice it, but that's good to know so thanks.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Excuse me, but... I need some help with a matchup thread, specifically the R.O.B - Dr. Mario matchup.
http://smashboards.com/threads/r-o-b-matchup-analysis-27-dr-mario.407206/
While I've tried to play him for a bit to see how he compares to Mario, (as we've already covered the Mario matchup) he's much, much different compared to the plumber. Slower, tougher, and generally more defensive, I've noticed. For reference, here's the regular Mario matchup thread.
http://smashboards.com/threads/r-o-b-matchup-analysis-17-mario.401048/

Besides being different, I know that there are at least a few constants between both, that can be said first:

• Both of their N-Airs are decent at getting out of combos, however, since Dr. Mario's does more damage the longer it's out, it could be used to drop down on an enemy, I think? Besides that, R.O.B only has his N-Air to truly space an enemy out, since it swirls around him. With it being slow, either Mario could drop down and N-Air him.

• Capes can reflect R.O.B's projectiles, while fireballs/pills potentially are able to pressure R.O.B as he approaches/you're trying to approach.

• Up-tilt can still be used to juggle, although I think it stops becoming effective 10% earlier.

That being said, I know that there are differences that make this matchup notable compared to the Mario one:
• Both U-Smash and U-Air send your enemy at different angles than Mario's attacks. U-Smash is weird; It sends the enemy diagonally, but... If you hit them with the front of Doc's head, it sends them in the opposite direction, vice versa with the back. Depending on where you are on the stage, you might want different hitboxes to hit your opponent. So, it's a better move than Mario's, but only if you know how to use it, I believe?
U-Air's the same deal, except reversed; If you hit them with the back of Doc's legs, it hits them backward, vice versa with the front. I think this means that you could potentially combo it into Doc's other aerials, instead of keeping them in the air like Mario would. If that's the case, then I'd guess this move is most useful at low percents.

• B-Air and F-Air are much more powerful, and probably more versatile. B-Air just straight up kills near the edge, unlike Mario's, while F-Air can kill R.O.B near 80% if he's in the air.

• D-Air allows Doc to potentially approach an enemy on the ground, or even diagonally, like his N-Air. I think this makes it more versatile than D-Air, especially since Doc already has Mario's D-Air in his Dr. Tornado, but better.

• Dr. Tornado is able to move, albeit a small amount, and can beat out some projectiles.

• Obviously, Dr. Mario is slower, has a smaller jump, and does more damage, which makes him more defensive. Also, without his cape being able to stall him in the air, his recovery is overall worse, although his Down-B helps with going horizontal.

In general, I think Dr. Mario is more defensive than Mario, having a harder time approaching, but his moves are good for knocking people off of you and probably better than killing. While this isn't a gameplay difference, I'd bet that most players choosing him over Mario are more defensive minded, wanting to punish you for your mistakes.

kacol321

Smash Rookie
NNID
OGzoidberg
The very bottom of the first hit of tornado spikes and so does the very top of the third hit. I've found that if you're under them in the air and you tornado you can hit the first hit, float down a bit, mash back up to hit the third hit to meteor them, then float down and mash away works. Im not really 100% this always works but i've gotten it once.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Oh, I've loved playing as him so far. His differences are just subtle enough, that you can do so much other stuff than with Mario. It's just hard to remember all of that in the middle of a fight.

ChaosDanny

Smash Rookie
NNID
RetroG1259
Dr. Mario is such a fun character and a joy to main. I recently been testing his recovery and I have to say that it's not that bad imo. Here have a look.
The first pic is up b distance comparison:
http://imgur.com/X8nKIOA

Second pic is his recovery (With tornado):
http://imgur.com/7kuO2TI

And last pic is recovery without it:
http://imgur.com/p4PMJ3B

Just wanted to share this with you guys. Any thoughts or opinions?

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, as long as he isn't super obvious, his recovery can get the job done most of the time. The think most people who don't play dock fail to realize is that while doc may not have the longest recovery, he still has the tools to **** you up if you don't respect it. Nado and Jump Punch can turn an attempted gimp into a kill for doc if the opponent is hapless.

That said, outside of fairly non-commital edgeguards, Doc should have his feet on the ground far more than Mario.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I wish doc's dair had a spike after it's combo animation. That'll be sick! haha

:pow:

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
I wish doc's dair had a spike after it's combo animation. That'll be sick! haha

:pow:
That would be awesome. I wish it just autocanceled though. Or had less end lag frames.

But you know what the most random spike ever would be? If Doc's Nair spiked at ONLY the heel when falling down on top of an opponent. If that existed I would absolutely worship Sakurai.

*Cough* Patch 1.0.9? *cough*

arncakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
arncakes
If doc's dair had a weak spike (like kirby's) and auto cancelled, I honestly think he would be a waaay better character. SH Dair would be amazing in neutral.

ChaosDanny

Smash Rookie
NNID
RetroG1259
Honestly I'd lke him to have more range on smash attacks and better down b distance. I'd think he's pretty solid where he is now.

ChaosDanny

Smash Rookie
NNID
RetroG1259
Hey guys. Nobody is really replying to my Doc play in the critique thread. I'd be glad if you guys can tell me on things I should improve on.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I'll admit, I still find myself playing Doc alot even after moving over to Mario as a main. Still a lot more fun to use, and a character I go back to every now and then to teach myself patience in neutral, since he has better tools for stuffing and punishing reckless approaches than Mario.

Last edited:

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
Yo, Doc main right here, because i like the games, the character in Melee, etc

Instead of complaining about the multiples flaws of our character, we should focus on what's great on him.
Even as a rather defensive/balanced oriented character with relatively bad mobillity, Doc remains quite enjoyable to play for most of us. His combo ability & strings is just insane.
I've heard some ppl complaining about the new fsmash, that has been changed so we can't really chain it as much. I disagree, it was a great buff, because if your opponent doesn't know the MU ( Which they probably don't ) , regrabbing after it is a nice possibility, at 20-30%, you can hit them behind you, get them right in front of you, and basically do anything, really cool attack overall.
Also, our combos really are versatile: Some may prefer the straight damage & go for options such as BackAir out of our DThrow, some might try to get it as long as they can, using our UAir who's often leading to another grab.
B-Reversed Pills are a nice way to get right back into the action, love that, even through i still find unfortunate that our pills are so weak compared to Melee, but anyway.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Hey, that's a good philosophy... If we're going to be positive, then, what are the best moments all of you have had with your Medical Licenses?

I caped a Mewtwo's Shadow Ball, got killed by one in return, and at the end won from a match of tennis. It was glorious.

Top Bottom