• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Dr. Mario Social Thread - Witches? Dragons?...I've seen worse walk into my office.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Haven't tested yet, but most likely yes. May even be better to combo into bair (or Fair pls?) instead of Uair with this trajectory. But yeah it's still useful from what I know
Just tested and it doesn't seem to be as good for combos anymore. You can try to get a dash attack or f-tilt off of it, but the combo above doesn't work anymore unfortunately. I guess it can be replaced with more U-tilts instead.

waterfall6464

Smash Cadet
I was messing around on training mode with Doc and found out that down throw --> tornado is a true combo... I did it on the edge of the stage on Fox when he was at 100% and it was a KO. You have to immediately double jump before the tornado to connect with it. The timing is tricky on higher percents, as I couldn't make the combo work over 112%.

Edit: Tested it on Falcon, it works to about 135% on him

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Just tested and it doesn't seem to be as good for combos anymore. You can try to get a dash attack or f-tilt off of it, but the combo above doesn't work anymore unfortunately. I guess it can be replaced with more U-tilts instead.
Yeah tested it as well. But I think killing off the sides is an improvement at least

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Hey guys, how is doc in smash 4 compared to melee?
A bit worse, though still viable. The speed nerf and terrible recovery compared to everyone else limits him, but his damage and kill power are excellent. With customs, he is a very solid character, since his recovery and neutral can see improvements.

Defex

Smash Cadet
NNID
toot1231
Hey guys, how is doc in smash 4 compared to melee?
a lot worse.
in melee he had an amazing fair and chain grabs. wavedashing covered his poor speed. in smash 4 he's slow, pills bounce really high, fair cannot combo off of throw.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
a lot worse.
in melee he had an amazing fair and chain grabs. wavedashing covered his poor speed. in smash 4 he's slow, pills bounce really high, fair cannot combo off of throw.
Here's the thing though. I don't think he's worse. He's got a bit different play style and options is all. If you think about it, all the characters are worse than in melee anyway. There is no wavedashing or chain grabs. Doc's recovery wasn't really nerfed much in the transfer from melee to Sm4sh from my research either. Doc is certainly a character you should play smart with if you want to be good though

D

Deleted member

a lot worse.
Pretty much why I don't main him anymore, yeah.

Dobbston

Smash Apprentice
I just really wish Dr. Mario's aerials were a lot safer on guard since losing pill and wavedash approaches hurt so bad. Also, I thought that Dthrow to Fair did combo on some characters or did it turn out that it can always be DIed?

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
I just really wish Dr. Mario's aerials were a lot safer on guard since losing pill and wavedash approaches hurt so bad. Also, I thought that Dthrow to Fair did combo on some characters or did it turn out that it can always be DIed?
Well, patches are welcome if there's ever another. I still have no idea about dthrow to fair, honestly. Timing is very strict from what know, and it only works within a set amount of percent for each individual fighter. But I think it's most likely around 100% for most characters. Of course, it's not reliable but still sort of possible

Last edited:

Dobbston

Smash Apprentice
I almost wish Dr. Mario still had his 7 hit Dair, despite its horrible lag, since it was nice to just be able to throw it out defensively and have it throw off opponents.

Well, patches are welcome if there's ever another. I still have no idea about dthrow to fair, honestly. Timing is very strict from what know, and it only works within a set amount of percent for each individual fighter. But I think it's most likely around 100% for most characters. Of course, it's not reliable but still sort of possible
You can test some of the percentages listed in the Dr. Mario Combo thread; I did the percentages a while back but they should still work.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
D-throw to F-air is not a combo in Smash 4. D-throw to Super Jump Punch works on the other hand. As for aerials, try b-air and short hop u-air I guess? It doesn't suck that his aerials aren't too safe, but I think Doc's real strength is in his ground game in spite of the low dash speed (his air speed isn't much better tbh). Poking with pills and D-tilt/F-tilt and mixing things up with grab is generally a good gameplan. Doc has to be patient when approach or wait for the opponent to come to him.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Do you mean that the opponent can always DI to escape?

Yeah, sorry. The positioning is good for it, but it's easily escapable. Ever since I started playing Doc, I've tried to do this during matches and the opponent would jump or airdodge out of it. :ohwell: SJP is generally better.

EDIT: It does register as a true combo though according to the gif...Maybe the percent window is just small. I wish I could investigate further, but I don't have my 3DS atm.

Last edited:

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
It's really hard to combo since the timing is strict, though it's easier on characters with fast falling speeds. Dthrow into fair is really only feasible at ko percents, while Dthrow into UpB works until late percents.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
I almost wish Dr. Mario still had his 7 hit Dair, despite its horrible lag, since it was nice to just be able to throw it out defensively and have it throw off opponents.

You can test some of the percentages listed in the Dr. Mario Combo thread; I did the percentages a while back but they should still work.
Yeah I know there are possible ways to connect the fair (and I saw the percent list a while ago, thanks though) but it's very unreliable and, of course, as said before has a very strict time frame. I try not to rely too much on it, because Doc isn't powerless without it. Actually, I think fair is still somewhat reliable without having a guaranteed setup though. I've gotten so many KO's with it in the past week or so now without a guaranteed way into it

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Another thing about this combo I've seen in the gif is that it's obviously in training mode so....I think I'd like to see it outside of training mode with DI and an opponents reaction to dthrow put into the mix. Just to see how well it works. I'm not sure if I have the timing down, but I'll do my best to test it myself when I can in a match

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
Evening gents, just sticking my head in here to say whats up.

Been spending the last few weeks trying to settle on an alt for my fox - Dr Mario and Mario ended up sticking for me. With Dr M its just that dair and down special options that I really like that made me want to keep using him in conjunction with Mario.

Hopefully be around a bit more to pick up info etc.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Do anyone here uses Doc's down-b as a ledge guarding tool? I find it to be VERY helpful.
Also, it's very good on the ground against spot dodging players when they're in high percentages.

:pow:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Do anyone here uses Doc's down-b as a ledge guarding tool? I find it to be VERY helpful.
Also, it's very good on the ground against spot dodging players when they're in high percentages.

Tornado and D-air edgeguards are one of the big reasons why I like Doc and find him hugely underrated. Good low edgeguards are actually not particularly common in this game. Doc Tornado is one of few good high priority lingering moves that straight up kills people offstage, while D-air either beats or trades with a lot of things, and drags your opponent for gimps, which is especially nice when they get meteored in a trade.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834

Yes. I do it, and am trying to do it more often because it's very useful to me

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
When used sparingly, reversed Up+B edgeguards are AMAZING because they come out of nowhere, aren't really that punishable (you pretty much immediately snap to ledge), and have a pretty good chance of KOing the victim.

Amingo

Smash Apprentice
Greetings,

Out of all characters that got cut in Brawl, Doc Mario and Mewtwo were the ones I always had interest in playing and I’m glad they return.

Did Doc suffer any changes in his transition from Melee to smash 4?

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Greetings,

Out of all characters that got cut in Brawl, Doc Mario and Mewtwo were the ones I always had interest in playing and I’m glad they return.

Did Doc suffer any changes in his transition from Melee to smash 4?
He runs a lot more slowly and his Melee-esque recovery is really bad compared to the other characters, but he does tons of damage and knockback, has an excellent combo game, has a buffed Doc Tornado and Super Jump Punch, and his d-air, u-smash and f-air hit horizontally now. So buffs and nerfs all around.

Amingo

Smash Apprentice
He runs a lot more slowly and his Melee-esque recovery is really bad compared to the other characters, but he does tons of damage and knockback, has an excellent combo game, has a buffed Doc Tornado and Super Jump Punch, and his d-air, u-smash and f-air hit horizontally now. So buffs and nerfs all around.
Is he better or worse than what he was in Melee?

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Is he better or worse than what he was in Melee?
In terms of tier list position he's definitely worse, but still viable. Probably on the lower end of the cast with custom moves off. With customs on, he likely jumps to mid or mid-high, so he's about Melee level with that. Fast Capsules, both Super Sheet customs and Soaring Tornado are really good.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
In terms of tier list position he's definitely worse, but still viable. Probably on the lower end of the cast with custom moves off. With customs on, he likely jumps to mid or mid-high, so he's about Melee level with that. Fast Capsules, both Super Sheet customs and Soaring Tornado are really good.
Of course he's worse. He's not bad though. I play him better than Mario, so it's all about your own abilities in a sense.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Doc is very very different from Mario in enough ways to be a vastly unique experience.

These contrasts make me enjoy him a lot, and I'm pretty much established as a Doc primary because I'm no bueno with Mario.

D

Deleted member

I realized I don't go to this thread as much as I originally expected. That stinks..

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
This tech isn't unique to Doc, but his applications of it are probably among the most interesting.

On stages with walls (not including Omega Pac-Land where you can't walljump but including FD), you can buffer a walljump from the ledge by quickly doing a Dashdance motion after grabbing the ledge.

This is a way to ledgehop B-air without using your 2nd jump (though it doesn't send you very far into the stage). However in terms of edgeguard options, this is where things get really cool.

You can for instance do walljump U-air/Cape and regrab the ledge.

Walljump D-air allows you to deny ledge sweetspots or people hugging the stage pretty consistently if set up correctly.

I suggest people try it out.

Another thing is Fullhop Pill is glitchy. Apparently if I'm seeing things right, it puts you in a state where you are effectively 1 frame from touching the ground while your Special Animation is ending. Now if that sounds confusing, just remember that 1 frame state transitions are the reason why we had glitches like ISJR in Brawl.

Why does this matter for Doc? Because buffering any aerial during this window will put you in your landing lag animation, even for ones that normally autocancel before the hitbox is active. Most IMPORTANTLY, this applies to D-air, which has a landing hitbox, so it's technically an option after fullhop Pill to defend yourself if people are trying to catch your landing.

Last edited:

Dobbston

Smash Apprentice
Just a couple tricks that could be useful:

-Using the cape to grab the ledge after an edge hopped pill

-Shield grabbing out of a shield slide from a dashing shield works better than dash grabbing most of the time and Dr. Mario gets a pretty decent shield slide

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Okay, so I know for a fact that Fox and Robin have very good percent range for garaunteed Dthrow to Fair, but does anybody happen to know any other characters that are easy to pull this off on? Just a few of the big ones pls if you know any. I'll take notes on ones I find meanwhile

EDIT: Captain Falcon also is very vulnerable to this setup, as well as Ganon and Palutena. All of these setups you can look for at around 95%.

Strange enough, Sheik can be hit by this setup around 60%, so maybe in stages with smaller blast zones, that can give you an early KO hopefully.

Last edited:

Dobbston

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so I know for a fact that Fox and Robin have very good percent range for garaunteed Dthrow to Fair, but does anybody happen to know any other characters that are easy to pull this off on? Just a few of the big ones pls if you know any. I'll take notes on ones I find meanwhile

EDIT: Captain Falcon also is very vulnerable to this setup
There are percents listed for Dthrow to Fair (22 dmg) in the combo thread. Fox, Falco, Meta Knight, ZSS, Marth, Lucina, Captain Falcon, Pikachu, Duck Hunt, Diddy, Little Mac, Mega Man, and Olimar are some of the major characters that Dthrow to Fair (22 dmg) is effective on.

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
There are percents listed for Dthrow to Fair (22 dmg) in the combo thread. Fox, Falco, Meta Knight, ZSS, Marth, Lucina, Captain Falcon, Pikachu, Duck Hunt, Diddy, Little Mac, Mega Man, and Olimar are some of the major characters that Dthrow to Fair (22 dmg) is effective on.
Yeah I know about the list, thanks. I was curious as to which ones were best to take advantage of

Dobbston

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I know about the list, thanks. I was curious as to which ones were best to take advantage of
The characters I just listed have a good percent range, 40 percent or more, for Dthrow to Fair (22 dmg).

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
The characters I just listed have a good percent range, 40 percent or more, for Dthrow to Fair (22 dmg).
Yep. I found it works best at around 95% on most who have that good percent range, especially since you can kill from that percent

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I see the folks here are all business. So Dr. Mario now has more games than Star Fox. Rejoice.

Mirax96

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mirax96
3DS FC
4081-5489-7344
Even if I play better with other characters (even Mario)... I just can't stop using the Doc!
I dunno why, I just find him cool.

Besides...

Read my signature

Top Bottom