• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Dr. Mario Social Thread - Witches? Dragons?...I've seen worse walk into my office.

WaraWaraRicey

Smash Rookie
NNID
WhiteRice
3DS FC
3222-6851-0554
To be fair I think a lot of Melee vets really like Sheik in this game haha. While mastering multiple characters might lessen the strengths overall of a primary one you play I do think it's good to take a step back from playing the same character over and over sometimes.

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
I don't know if it's just me, but I love playing practically every character. Now, am I good with every character? Hell, no. But no matter what character I play, I usually find some sort of fun or interesting aspect about them that makes them a blast to use.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
In case nobody knew:

You can hit confirm 2 Jabs -> Up-B on light floaty characters even if buffer shield. Some might be able to mash out with something, but anyhow...

Examples of who this works on: G&W, Rosalina, Jigglypuff, Pit/Dark Pit, Little Mac, Duck Hunt

I didn't test absolutely everyone but basically on some characters, Doc has a KO confirm out of his 2 frame Jab.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Dr. Mario is a ****en baller in this game. I dunno what it is but whenever I play him I can't help but go absolutely ham 24/7.

Also I made a controls-tag for him and I put Dr. at the start of the name, so when I play him I'm Dr. Dre
Super late to reply to this but yeah, that's part of Doc's charm. If you win you generally crush someone with amazing reads or by going ham. He's a very fun, honest character.

Then you turn on customs and he gets pretty silly.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
In case nobody knew:

You can hit confirm 2 Jabs -> Up-B on light floaty characters even if buffer shield. Some might be able to mash out with something, but anyhow...

Examples of who this works on: G&W, Rosalina, Jigglypuff, Pit/Dark Pit, Little Mac, Duck Hunt

I didn't test absolutely everyone but basically on some characters, Doc has a KO confirm out of his 2 frame Jab.
That's pretty cool. Now that I think of it, this can probably work on the majority of the cast. Fox can 2 jab into up smash, so I don't see why not

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
That's pretty cool. Now that I think of it, this can probably work on the majority of the cast. Fox can 2 jab into up smash, so I don't see why not
The reason Fox can do that partly has to do with his Jab not having set knockback (like Link's).

Doc's Jab has set knockback, but more than Mario's. Most characters his Jab leaves him about neutral on hit, but vs the really light floaty characters you're at least +3 if they do nothing but hold shield.

If your opponent buffers airdodge by accident then go ahead and F-smash.

Last edited:

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Wassup dudes. I'm working on doc at the moment trying to develop a play style with him, but it's hard to do anything good without a gamecube adapter.

:pow:

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
Wassup dudes. I'm working on doc at the moment trying to develop a play style with him, but it's hard to do anything good without a gamecube adapter.

Try a Pro Controller. It's a bit more expensive, but it works just as good as a GC controller imo. The C-stick will take some getting used to, though.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

You can do what I do and work with the gamepad/Pro Controller. Switch your grab and shield buttons and be happy.

Doc is actually pretty simple to play imo once you understand what his moves are for. His inherent gameplan is defensive, so don't be afraid to wait and shield a lot. Remember that any time your opponent touches your shield, a 3 frame Up-B that kills at 130% can never be disrespected, not to mention a 14% B-air that can hit short characters on the ground.

Get used to edgeguarding with and spacing Tornado to throw off your opponent, learn a few grab followups, and you should be good to go.

I find Doc really fun because his tools for punishing mistakes and capitalizing for KOs are really good, and his 3 frame Up-B can punish a lot of pressure for massive damage/knockback.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
The reason Fox can do that partly has to do with his Jab not having set knockback (like Link's).

Doc's Jab has set knockback, but more than Mario's. Most characters his Jab leaves him about neutral on hit, but vs the really light floaty characters you're at least +3 if they do nothing but hold shield.

If your opponent buffers airdodge by accident then go ahead and F-smash.
Ok. Never got around to testing it. Thanks

Cezz624

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cezz624
3DS FC
2964-9447-5535

Have you tried getting the may flash gamecube adapter? It's just as good as the official one.

Does anyone find it difficult to use Dr. Mario's pills defensively or offensively? For example, when I try to space Dr. Mario's pills against an opponent, they power-shield or avoid it and are able to grab/attack me due to the move's lag. I have tried B-reversed pills and while they do function better, I still have the same issue more or less. Do I need more practice, a change in play style perhaps?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
There are three ways I use Pills.

1. grounded pills to stop people from running (good against stuff like Sonic spindash)
2. To punish commitments in midrange conservatively
3. For juggling and edgeguarding

I never really think of them as core offensive/defensive tools, but they can help slow down your opponent and keep your opponent's neutral game a little more predictable.

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
Speaking of pills, which do you guys prefer: Standard Megavitamins or Fast Capsule? I go with vanilla vitamins, but sometimes I can get punished against a fast moving foe. The throwing lag is nowhere near as long with Fast Capsule and is good for fast poking, but I love the trajectories of the regular pills (especially near the edge).

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Have you tried getting the may flash gamecube adapter? It's just as good as the official one.

Does anyone find it difficult to use Dr. Mario's pills defensively or offensively? For example, when I try to space Dr. Mario's pills against an opponent, they power-shield or avoid it and are able to grab/attack me due to the move's lag. I have tried B-reversed pills and while they do function better, I still have the same issue more or less. Do I need more practice, a change in play style perhaps?
Don't rely on pills too much. Spacing with back air works better at close range, but you have to play smart and mix it up between those two options. I start the match with pills and use them at a distance to force people to approach. Not as much for the damage value. If they are unlucky enough to get hit while approaching you, you may be able to follow up, so look out for that.

EDIT: You can also use pills to edge guard!

Last edited:

Cezz624

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cezz624
3DS FC
2964-9447-5535
Thanks for the tips, A2Z.

@ Cezz624 Cezz624 Dude, long time no hearing from you!

Oh well, nothing much really. I've just been lurking the boards for quite a bit. I'm still actively playing Smash Bros though. So, did you get that gamecube adapter yet? Your gonna need it. My friend has been trying to use the Wii U Pro Controller but he claims he gets lag when ever he tries to play online or sometimes even some local battles. (Maybe it's just his controller but I'm not sure.)

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
Reddit has done their "tier" lists for no customs, and characters with customs.

What are your opinions, Docs? Keep in mind that reddit allowed users to vote, meaning that position of certain characters may be off for a variety of reasons, such as low tournament representation, or being overrated. In case you can't view the image, Doc sits at top of D Tier, and with customs on he's second to last in C Tier.

Regardless, I remember how the Doc boards were active when customs were allowed, as it gave Soaring Tornado, Fast Capsule and Ol' One Two (His 2332 custom set) their chance to shine. Everybody acknowledges that Custom DK is way better, so probably Doc went unnoticed in both customs off and customs on. Again.

Also I like how Pac-Man went up really high, while Robin with customs apparently goes down...

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Reddit has done their "tier" lists for no customs, and characters with customs.

What are your opinions, Docs? Keep in mind that reddit allowed users to vote, meaning that position of certain characters may be off for a variety of reasons, such as low tournament representation, or being overrated. In case you can't view the image, Doc sits at top of D Tier, and with customs on he's second to last in C Tier.

Regardless, I remember how the Doc boards were active when customs were allowed, as it gave Soaring Tornado, Fast Capsule and Ol' One Two (His 2332 custom set) their chance to shine. Everybody acknowledges that Custom DK is way better, so probably Doc went unnoticed in both customs off and customs on. Again.

Also I like how Pac-Man went up really high, while Robin with customs apparently goes down...
Personally, I find that Dr. Mario has many decent combos and could definitely be ranked closer to Mario, even with his recovery. Mario's recovery itself isn't much better, as I occaisionally play him and am not too terrible as the character. But don't forget the recovery potential that Boss showed at a Xanadu once with Doc's down B (he made it go pretty high, look it up). Basically, Doc could still be ranked higher. Not to complain. At least Doc isn't ranked like last time.

Dr.M44

Smash Rookie
NNID
The_Skilled44
hi :D im a new Doc player

Does anyone know if Doc can combo into Fair?

Im really dying to know, Doc's fair is my fav. move

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Im really dying to know, Doc's fair is my fav. move
From what I know, there's no garaunteed combo to Fair yet, but I've gotten some lucky DTilts into a Fair low to the ground occaisionally. I personally am hoping for the upcoming patch update to do something to change that.

But hi, welcome, Doc was a good idea to pick up!

Last edited:

Dr.M44

Smash Rookie
NNID
The_Skilled44
From what I know, there's no garaunteed combo to Fair yet, but I've gotten some lucky DTilts into a Fair low to the ground occaisionally. I personally am hoping for the upcoming patch update to do something to change that.

But hi, welcome, Doc was a good idea to pick up!
Alright well I hope the update gives him some kind of combo to fair too. I know that Doc's end part of his dash attack COMBOS into fair on some characters but the setup is so situational its not likely that anyone will do it

Last edited:

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
You can combo into fair from Dthrow, but the timing is incredibly strict to where you're better off just using Dthrow to read the opponent.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Figured I'd go into the social threads and share my silhouettes... Hope you enjoy!

Fun fact- the first thing I sold in my Redbubble store was a Dr. Mario travel mug.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
You can combo into fair from Dthrow, but the timing is incredibly strict to where you're better off just using Dthrow to read the opponent.

Makes sense. Most people aren't frame perfect. It looks like it barely can reach as well. May not be able to hit every character? Although, Zero Suit is pretty light....

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
I don't want to say it's incredibly strict, but there are a couple factors with this setup that make it really situational. While there is data detailing what is the optimal percent to throw the opponent, the things that makes this rather difficult are:

1. Timing the jump immediately after Dthrow ends
2. Deciding whether to do a double jump or a single jump (Usually it's one jump unless your opponent is floaty)
3. Doing Doc's fair right as soon as you jump
4. Making sure you connect with the sweetspot instead of the sourspot. This is always my biggest issue because if you press fair too quickly, you'll combo with the sourspot, but you'll get no knockback.
5. And being character dependent.

It being character dependent may not be too much of a bad thing, but from experience floaties will need to be launched at Dthrow way earlier compared to somebody like Little Mac or ZSS. Though this combo is easy to practice on anybody that has fast vertical falling speeds like Fox.

Red-Ruby

Smash Cadet
As you can see in my sig, Doctor Mario is my main alongside Mario.
I always use Mario to outspeed my friends and be very aggressive, and then when they think they found out my playstyle I change to the Doctor and play more defensively but with some amazing smashes. Then when they least expect it I go crazy with the Doc following them wherever they go.
The fun part is that my friends don't know the difference between Mario and Dr Mario a lot, so I can play around with that very nicely, same moves, but very different approaches.

I love (Doctor) Mario so much in this game!

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I'm really feeling Doc in this game. D-air > D-tilt > D-air combo is sick, works best at low % though.

Last edited:

SmashFactionNC

Smash Cadet
Warning Received
I wonder who (in the staff) first proposed Dr. Mario for a Smash 4 . Either way , approved ! Megavitamins for everyone ! :colorful:
Triple thumbs up(:

My avatar is now relevant.

I approve this message!

Huh. Never thought of chiaining D-tilts with D-airs. I'll try practicing that
I could see it! You could also D-air to D-tilit to up B in their body after the knockback of the D-tilt

Glad to have the ol' Doc back. He'll probably be one of my secondary mains after my primary mains Luigi and Robin the Boy Wonder with a Monotone Voice because I prefer some of his move differences over normal Mario... Plus Dr. Mario is simply styling in this game and he has a nicer blue costume compared to Melee. :awesome:
Agreed :D

Initially, I wondered "why did they bring him back?", despite the fact that I loved Doc in Melee and preferred him over Mario. I even felt a little negative about his inclusion back into the series...

But I jist can't resist the black coat, electricity, megavitamins and the return of the Mahreeoh Tornado, so I welcome his return with open arms!
Yes! I think people are sleeping on his potential. Never sleep on the Doc.

Yet no Alt. Costume of him. XD
PLEASE MAKE THIS A THING

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
@ SmashFactionNC SmashFactionNC , word of advice, double-posting and beyond is frowned upon 'round here.

Your enthusiasm for Doc is wonderful, but you may want to use the edit button in future, just letting you know~

SmashFactionNC

Smash Cadet
I'm really glad the Doc is back. I couldn't get much from him in melee, since I started to main him just a bit before I stopped playing melee :(

Looking forward to make him my main veteran character here.
He is definitely veteran worthy. If not general worthy.

At first, I was confused.

And then, I laughed.

I laughed and laughed until I remembered how much I love Doc.

Love this guy. The Doctor is in and he's ready to operate on your damage scores!
I think the Doc brings out the emotion in all of us.

All hail the Doc!
The Doc needs to be higher tier!!

Yeah, same. What if Dr. Mario happens to be even better than Mario?
How would you like to pay? Debit or death?

Shroomed dominates with this combo!

Zegend

Smash Cadet
Hi, I'm Zegend. I'm a ROB main for the most part but Dr Mario is really fun, so I'm probably going to be spending more time around here. Nice to meet you all.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Also tested the up smash's new trajectory, and it is definitely easier to KO with the up smash on an edge compared to off the top

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Is U-smash still useful in low percent combos with the new trajectory? I remember being able to do stuff like U-tilt > U-tilt > U-tilt > U-smash > U-air > B-air before. I haven't played 1.0.6 Doc yet.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Is U-smash still useful in low percent combos with the new trajectory? I remember being able to do stuff like U-tilt > U-tilt > U-tilt > U-smash > U-air > B-air before. I haven't played 1.0.6 Doc yet.
Haven't tested yet, but most likely yes. May even be better to combo into bair (or Fair pls?) instead of Uair with this trajectory. But yeah it's still useful from what I know

Last edited:
Top Bottom