• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Dr. Mario Social Thread - Witches? Dragons?...I've seen worse walk into my office.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
I only want a few things.

• Ground speed increase
  • Increase in full jump height, second jump height and up-b distance
  • Less lag on pills

There are other things I would like that would just be icing on the cake (adjusting the angle on up air so that it compliments Doc's mobility and can lead into better combos, less startup and landing lag on dair), but that's about it.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
My only problem is that most of his combos are just strings. Its pretty annoying that up air doesn't really do much.
Dude, Doc's up-air string is very underrated. You can juggle combo your opponent into kill confirm moves like f-smash, d-smash, etc. You can even ledge trap your opponent if he/she tries to recover underneath. It's a legit stage spike! (If they tech, then it won't be legit)

Dr. Mario's horizontal up-air is just like the brawl version of Mario, which I love so much.

:pow:

Last edited:

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Dude, Doc's up-air string is very underrated. You can juggle combo your opponent into kill confirm moves like f-smash, d-smash, etc. You can even ledge trap your opponent if he/she tries to recover underneath. It's a legit stage spike! (If they tech, then it won't be legit)

Dr. Mario's horizontal up-air is just like the brawl version of Mario, which I love so much.

Its lack of hitstun is the problem. You can barely combo with it, and 90 percent of the time your better off using a different option like back air. It doesn't true combo until like 60, at which point your opponent is sent so far you'll only get a couple of hits.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
The hitstun isn't the problem. It's the angle. You can combo into stuff at lower percents (around 40 something).

E.g. Off of falling up air or with the use of platforms.

But, the trajectory is so horizontal that Doc cannot follow his opponent consistently.

Last edited:

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I doubt Bayonetta is that far lower on the tier list though. Still has amazing options and some good kill setups.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
So 2ManyCooks is competing at Get On My Level, a highly stacked national in Toronto, Canada. So far, his team (Alberta) got 2nd in the crew battles.

Singles and Doubles haven't started (supposed to start on Saturday), but here are his singles and doubles pools.

https://smash.gg/tournament/get-on-...phaseId":3928}&sort_by=startAt&order=1&page=2 - 2MC is in Pool D1, alongside C3PO

https://smash.gg/tournament/get-on-my-level-2016-good-game-con-ft-hbox-2/brackets/11096/3929 - 2MC is teaming up with Alphicans, a really strong Little Mac player, with Sheik and Fox(?) as secondaries. They are in Pool C1, alongside AnTi/Ally and Croi/Drake.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
2ManyCooks narrowly loses to C3PO, after a very close set & a Game 3's UpB that, with a little more %, would have killed.
The sound of silence is growing on me, but i'm not losing hope in our best player, he still played fairly well. I have tons of things to say about it so i'll try to contact him as soon as i can. While i'm not the greatest myself, i've been around for a while, and i have the fundamentals to perhaps help with some of the play & choices done in the match.
Either way, let's hope 2MC does a strong losers run, it's not going to be easy tho, as threats such as Iceninja ( Palu/Doc is fairly hard to be honest ) are also in losers. I can't access the bracket of Top 96 but hopefully, he won't have to fight such an hard opponent as Iceninja, even though i'm convinced in his battle to still do it.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
I just watched the set against C3PO. Goddamn that DI in the last game. Unfortunate for 2MC, but he did very well in the second and third game.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Ok, the brackets for Top 96 are up. Here's a list of notable players in 2MC's bracket:

Ally, SuperKelGirls, Mr. E, Nom (Played on the Michagan A team).

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
So 2MC has to fight BugDoctor, then the winner of Deathorse vs SGKels, then the loser of Red X vs Ally.
Won't be easy, but we're still hoping.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Welp, that was a fun run. 2MC got 49th at GOML.

I watched that C3PO match again, and I honestly wonder why 2MC didn't Up Tilt C3PO when he approached him. Rage Up Tilt is strong.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Anyone interested in some friendly doc dittos? The only doc I have played against is A2Z.
Of course, I've known him since the Brawl era.

Last edited:

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Heh, played a few matches on for glory (yeah, bad idea :( ) and I was reminded of how underrated Up Tilt is, esp. with rage. I killed a Yoshi that kept using dair at 150 % and I had 82%. Beat it cleanly.

atticusfinch7

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Doc is unusual in the sense that he only combos heavier characters effectively. As opposed to most characters that get decent combos on midweights, but even harder combos on heavier characters, Doc only seems to do well in his combos against heavies/fastfallers. I've been able to string about 75% or more on characters like Corrin in a short amount of time, but against a character like Kirby I can hardly get anything.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I feel like Doc is unusual in the sense that he only combos heavier characters effectively. As opposed to most characters that get decent combos on midweights, but even harder combos on heavier characters, Doc only seems to do well in his combos against heavies/fastfallers. I've been able to string about 75% or more on characters like Corrin in a short amount of time, but against a character like Kirby I can hardly get anything.
That's kind of just par for the course for power-based characters. And Kirby is second only to Jigglypuff when it comes to dodging true combos.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip

What's up fellow Docs! Feels like it's been awhile since I've stop by here. Oh, This video is a friendly match. Enjoy.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Just wanted to let everyone know that 2MC will be competing at 2GGT KTAR Saga. Believe it's this weekend. Check his Twitter or 2GGaming's for more information.

Last edited:

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Hey fellow Doctors. Ive been lurking for a while so I decided to pop up. Im KCs residential Doc main. So uh hi everybody

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
I havent uploaded any yet, but I'm gonna start doing it now! But yeah I have come forth from the shadows :) I actually had a tournament tonight and got 5th out of 12. Lost to a Luigi who timed me out on Duck Hunt (but hes one of our best local players) then lost to a mac KO punch but eh. Decided I might as well start posting in the Doc boards :)
Sorry I dont have any footage of me atm but Ill do my best to rectify that

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
2MC Got 33rd at KTAR Saga Singles, and 7th in Doubles. Probably could have done better, but pretty impressive nevertheless. He and Alphicans actually beat quite a few SoCal teams but of course, none of those matches was streamed. :(

On an unrelated note, I've been checking out some of the Doc skin mods on Gamebanana. Some of these are really good.

http://gamebanana.com/skins/145625 - Docolate Bar.

http://gamebanana.com/skins/147237 - Miracle Cure Skin.

http://gamebanana.com/skins/146047 - Metal Mario

http://gamebanana.com/skins/145701 - Phoenix Wright

http://gamebanana.com/skins/147639 - Dr. Mario with a Virus-Themed Lab Coat (personal favorite).

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
2MC Got 33rd at KTAR Saga Singles, and 7th in Doubles. Probably could have done better, but pretty impressive nevertheless. He and Alphicans actually beat quite a few SoCal teams but of course, none of those matches was streamed. :(

On an unrelated note, I've been checking out some of the Doc skin mods on Gamebanana. Some of these are really good.

http://gamebanana.com/skins/145625 - Docolate Bar.

http://gamebanana.com/skins/147237 - Miracle Cure Skin.

http://gamebanana.com/skins/146047 - Metal Mario

http://gamebanana.com/skins/145701 - Phoenix Wright

http://gamebanana.com/skins/147639 - Dr. Mario with a Virus-Themed Lab Coat (personal favorite).
Kind of sad VoiD vs 2MC wasnt streamed, the fact that he took 1 game off of VoiD is fairly impressive.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
download.png
Yeah I use Dark Pit to cover Docs worse MUs
Also I was wondering if I could have some comments on this. This is my current gameplan for bracket and was wondering if some of you could give some insight into some of these MUs or where I could move what

Last edited:

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 112986 Yeah I use Dark Pit to cover Docs worse MUs
Also I was wondering if I could have some comments on this. This is my current gameplan for bracket and was wondering if some of you could give some insight into some of these MUs or where I could move what
I've made this a couple months ago:

Now that i'm better at some matchups, i think Bayonetta, Yoshi & Ryu can move on to -1. Sheik & ZSS maybe as well, especially with the latest results of 2MC against Exodia which goes in that direction. I could have also stretched to include some matchups that are ambigious in terms or even or our favor, such as Mario.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
http://smashboards.com/tiers/#4,10,16.Doc's Matchups#11.Unsure#39,5,2.40:60 or Worse#51,58,45,10,47,1.45:55#9,30,49,35,16,21,28,25.50:50#26,29,4,14,27,8,42,37,56,41,44,40,54,52,23,3,12,50,24,31,53,6,36,38,17,13,7.55:45#43,20,48,46,55,22,19,32,34,33,15.60:40#18,57.1,6,1,1,1,1,4

Made this just now. I don't see a lot of the matchups listed as disadvantages as disadvantages. In some cases (e.g. Wario and Mewtwo), neither character can easily approach each other. Luigi is annoying and I might make a special section for him in the future, but I still think it's even.

Also, Roy is significantly easier than Marth/Lucina. Range sucks, approaches aren't great, gets comboed harder, can challenge his Up-B, etc. I've only listed it as a slight advantage because he has great ground mobility.

Edit: I had Bowser, Zard and Palutena as slight advantages before, but now I'm not quite sure where to rank them.

Last edited:

Capt. Tin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Capt.Tin
Palutena : Doc is 45:55. Back Air isn't as good / safe as it is in other matchups as her's is completely invulnerable so it will almost always beat it out.

Doc's difficulty landing also makes her strong up-air dangerous at higher percents if it doesn't KO.

From what I've heard she generally does well against the Mario Bros.

Charizard I'd argue is 50:50 just as his Rock Smash and Fly's super amour will break out of combos (Fly will sometimes kill at higher percents) and his range is deadly especially against Doc. When I play the matchup I generally find it difficult to approach due to his aforementioned range and also his strength.

Last edited:

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
You shouldn't go crazy on heavies in general and you should play a very lame bait and punish game. Zard is not very safe and has issues landing. Rock Smash does not break shields unless your shield is very weak.

Be wary of landing because Zard can punish unsafe landings with Flare Blitz. However, if Zard doesn't space it properly and you shield, punish with up smash. He does not have time to jump or tech if he tries to hit you on the ground.

Jab->grab is annoying but not a true combo, and something you should be aware of.

Fly is a very Yolo option and is used if the Zard players think you will press a button. Like Rock Smash, you should watch out for it and bait it.

On an unrelated note, the tweet below sums up Doc in a nutshell: misunderstood.

https://twitter.com/TEG_2ManyCooks/status/759390364557946880?s=09

Last edited:

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
What's up fellow Doctors, it's been awhile since I stop by here. I've been thinking of contributing to the Dr. Mario boards, but this awesome place has been inactive for quite awhile now. Hopefully this place will become more active in the future.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
2MC got 2nd at Alberta BeatDown, out of 146 entrants. He lost 3-2 and then 3-1 to Blacktwins' Mario in GF. Videos should be up on YouTube, but if anyone is interested, check out EdmontonGamers Twitch channel.

EDIT: Doc's Down-B can trade with certain moves (Fox Illusion) and he can combo off of the trade (e.g. Down-B -> trade -> Up-B).

Last edited:
Top Bottom