• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Mario 1.04 patch changes

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Here are doc's changes. The ones with the (??) marks I'm not sure about. If someone would like to help me test that would be neat :D

Edit some of these are incorrect! Will delete/add more after testing :D

dash attack ~ unchanged
Jabs ~ unchanged
f.tilt ~ unchanged
d.tilt ~ unchanged
utilt ~damage increase from 6% to 7%
usmash ~ unchanged
f.smash ~ slightly bigger hitbox and slightly less ending lag
d.smash ~ unchanged
tornado ~ damage decreased from 9% to 8%
dair ~damage decreased from 12% - 15% to 10% - 12%, seems easier to di out, less ending lag though
uair ~ damage increased from 7% to 7.5%
fair ~ knockback increased from 160 to 170 (kills 9% earlier now)
nair ~ unchanged
pills ~ unchanged
cape ~ unchanged
upb ~ damage decreased from 14% tot 13%, height slightly increased! (knockback slightly nerfed??) (faster startup ??)
throw pummel ~ unchanged
dthrow ~ unchanged (??)
uthrow ~ unchanged
fthrow ~ damage from 9% to 8%, absolutely no endinglag after throw making it great for chasing offstage
bthrow ~ damage from 13% to 12%, knockback nerfed (kills mario at the end of the stage around 160% now with vectoring..
Higher first jump (grounded) (??)
A bit heavier

Summary

Buffs:
utilt damage boost 1%
uair damage boost 0.5%
fsmash slightly bigger hitbox and slightly less ending lag

upb recovers a bit higher <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
dair less ending lagg
first jump height increased (??)
A bit heavier

fthrow has 0 ending lag after the throw making it great for offstage chase
fair knockback buff

Nerfs:
bthrow hugely nerfed. Doesn't kill nomore whatsoever lol + damage decrease 1%
dair damage decrease 2 - 3%
fthrow damage decrease 1%
upb damage decrease 1%
tornado damage decrease 1%

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Why the hell was he nerfed? I thought people were saying he was bad in this game.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Up B always did 13% though. I tried to second Dr. Mario and Up B was the only move I landed so I remember damn well how much it did.

He wasn't even nerfed that much though. He can land his best kill move with more ease due to reduction in lag and larger hitbox. If Up B does have more vertical distance, that means his recovery is better as well. He's also heavier which means you can last on the battlefield. I'd sure as hell take doing just a little less damage if these are the payoffs.

Last edited:

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
Dr. Mario didn't get touched that much, honestly. I've been used Fthrow alot before this patch, so it's nice to hear that the move has been sped up since it's a good tool for pressure.

UpB getting more distance is great. One of the Doc's combos at low percents can now connect on most of the cast (Dthrow to sweetspotted UpB).

If anything, Mario got slightly nerfed in damage since his Utilt went down one percent, while Doc's Utilt went up a lil. The only significant nerf here to Doc (besides the Backthrow, which was already subpar in strength) is his dair change, since it's a easier to vector out of the hits. However, I need to test Doc's weight change, since Mario and Luigi also got the same weight change.

Last edited:

Dobbston

Smash Apprentice
The only confirmed change here is that Dair does a bit less dmg but has a bit less landing lag. Also, Dair to Ftilt combos on most characters now at low percents.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Dr. Mario is a much better character as of this patch IMO. Well, maybe not much, but, yeah. All of the nerfs are purely little things, the buffs more than make up for it. AND a bigger FSmash hitbox?! That's CRAZY

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Double posting because I did some relevant testing with Up+B 1 and Up+B 2.

As it turns out, as of this patch, Up+B 1's vertical distance now matches Up+B 2's pretty well (it's either close or the same.) Literally the only reason for Up+B 2 to exist is horizontal momentum now....

So Up+B does go further I think, vertically only.

All I want for Doc now is more damage buffs. Upair should be doing 8, 9, maybe even 10% due to its reduced followup potential, UpTilt is fine as is (maybe 8%?). All of Doc's A moves should do more than Mario's though....

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Double posting because I did some relevant testing with Up+B 1 and Up+B 2.

As it turns out, as of this patch, Up+B 1's vertical distance now matches Up+B 2's pretty well (it's either close or the same.) Literally the only reason for Up+B 2 to exist is horizontal momentum now....

So Up+B does go further I think, vertically only.

All I want for Doc now is more damage buffs. Upair should be doing 8, 9, maybe even 10% due to its reduced followup potential, UpTilt is fine as is (maybe 8%?). All of Doc's A moves should do more than Mario's though....
Thanks!! I'll add the op. Upb def. Got a recovery boost, it also seems faster. I was mashing upb when I got trapped in sheik's/robin's jabcombo and got out a lot more.

Also some more buffs: fair knockback increased to 170 instead of 160. Which means that, for example jiggs, will die 9% earlier!!

Fsmash' hitbox got SLIGHTLY buffed from above, which means it's greater to punish landings. It's also SLIGHTLY less punishable on whiff and block. Which is good. It doesn't have a sweetspot like mario's fsmash so it's waaay better.

Also he is heavier.

His first jump got buffed as well? Someone test this please!!

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Here are doc's changes. The ones with the (??) marks I'm not sure about. If someone would like to help me test that would be neat :D

dash attack ~ unchanged
Jabs ~ unchanged
f.tilt ~ unchanged
d.tilt ~ unchanged
utilt ~damage increase from 6% to 7% Nope, it was already 7%.
usmash ~ unchanged
f.smash ~ slightly bigger hitbox and slightly less ending lag Nope, same.
d.smash ~ unchanged
tornado ~ damage decreased from 9% to 8% Nope, it was always 8%.
dair ~damage decreased from 12% - 15% to 10% - 12%, seems easier to di out, less ending lag though This is correct on both counts.
uair ~ damage increased from 7% to 7.5% Nope, it does 7.75% in both versions.
fair ~ knockback increased from 160 to 170 (kills 9% earlier now) This is correct.
nair ~ unchanged
pills ~ unchanged
cape ~ unchanged
upb ~ damage decreased from 14% tot 13%, height slightly increased! (knockback slightly nerfed??) (faster startup ??) Nope, it was always 13%. Height unchanged.
throw pummel ~ unchanged
dthrow ~ unchanged (??)
uthrow ~ unchanged
fthrow ~ damage from 9% to 8%, absolutely no endinglag after throw making it great for chasing offstage Nope, it was always 8%. No change in end lag.
bthrow ~ damage from 13% to 12%, knockback nerfed (kills mario at the end of the stage around 160% now with vectoring..
Higher first jump (grounded) (??) Nope it was always 12%. Knockback unchanged.
A bit heavier Nope.
Confirmed with side-by-side hardware.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Can I ask if the vertically angled Up+B 1 goes higher than it did in 1.0.3? I feel like it does but I CAN'T tell perfectly. What leads me to that conclusion is how it almost matches Up+B 2's vertical angle height now...

Edit: Looked at the post again, I guess not. Damn. Well this does mean his vertical Up+B was never bad to begin with, that's a plus!

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
pretty sure a lot is correct:
00:50 -> utilt did 6%
01:14 -> upb did 14%
01:26 -> tornado did 9% (this one i'm really sure about)
01:48 -> bthrow did 13%
01:56 -> fthrow did 9% (plus it feels way faster now after throwing

Last edited:

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
Thanks!! I'll add the op. Upb def. Got a recovery boost, it also seems faster. I was mashing upb when I got trapped in sheik's/robin's jabcombo and got out a lot more.

Also some more buffs: fair knockback increased to 170 instead of 160. Which means that, for example jiggs, will die 9% earlier!!
Fair buff? That's nice. Do you know if there's been a buff to his sour spot as well?

Astronut

Smash Apprentice
I did some testing with Doc's up-b on Battlefield (using the platforms as reference) with 1.0.3 and 1.0.4. I didn't notice any changes in height :(

Edit: Actually, I only tested his grounded up-b. I'm not sure about his aerial one. (And I already updated my 1.0.3 3DS to 1.0.4 so I can't test it anymore lol) Someone pls confirm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom