• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
I was able to do it plenty of times on the GCC. As for doing it consistently, that's another story....
Dude lets talk, the video NEEDS to have that in it. I completly stopped doing anything on the video the moment I seen the tech and realized how important it is.

SimplyChrono

Smash Cadet
NNID
SimplyChrono
3DS FC
0147-1307-4927
Last edited:

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
OMFG I DID IT aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I recorded hands doing it with video I will upload it right now

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
I'm starting to, now that I got "how" to do it in my head I am just going to keep trying to do it until i can do it without thinking

SimplyChrono

Smash Cadet
NNID
SimplyChrono
3DS FC
0147-1307-4927
I'm starting to, now that I got "how" to do it in my head I am just going to keep trying to do it until i can do it without thinking
I see, i'm pretty much in the same boat as you, just gotta practice more.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

Mega Man/Lucario match up. Customs are gone now but what could I do differently to improve in this match up? I played pretty well but forced to time him out hard game 3.

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
@Sneaks - Biggest thing you can do to improve would be to zoom the camera in on the top screen. ha You seem to jump a lot without doing anything, most of those times you should be putting something out there like a pellet. Especially against a fast char like Sheik. You go for a falling Uair way to often. Not nearly enough pellets, there are times when you should be jabbing and you go for a CB. You seem to favor Uair and CB in situations that don't call for it. Avoid random Fsmash, especially if opponent is above you. You seem to stick a MB into the ground/wall and then abandon it. Pick it up more often and play with it, it misses you. You seem to throw moves out at random, when they are not likely to hit. That video reminds me of how crappy the DS version is.

For reference, here is a recent Sheik match of mine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD4Cc-WwVQM

@ SSGuy SSGuy - Switch to root beer. Not specific to the match up, but you should get in the habit of shooting a pellet as you land from an UpB. You should try adding some drop>jump>nair when coming off the ledge, as opposed to almost always just the simple step up. Jumping down throw MB>Fair was getting a little predictable. Where's the Zigma?. Would have liked to see more Zdrops. I don't recall seeing any up-angled MB, you tend to use pellets to hit a jumping opponent. Nice shirt, no advice on shirt choice :3 When you throw/hit your opponent away from the stage, don't wait so long before you do something. Throw a MB at them while they're around the border of the screen, give them something to deal with as they come in. It'll either hit them, or they'll try and avoid it making it easy to land something else(or you miss, but you'll have plenty of time to do something else by the time they reach you).

The only real match-up specific advice I have is that Skull Barrier did jack**** for you. I'm not sure if you really make use of Leaf Shield, but you probably would have gotten way more utility out of it. Ok, well it worked a bit in the last match, but not enough to be worthwhile. But this is coming from a person who doesn't like any customs, so take that with a grain of salt.

You've got good movement, but you seem to stick with only a few moves. I didn't see much dtilt, CB, MB air chasing, aggresive Bair, grabbing. While your clearly not predictable with what you do, I feel like you're not getting the most out of Mega Man. Great short hop pellet game, tho.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Had one of the closest matches of my life on Anthers Ladder. Prompted me to ask how some of you guys fight the matchup against Bowser? I always seem to struggle against them, for the obvious reasons. Thoughts?

SimplyChrono

Smash Cadet
NNID
SimplyChrono
3DS FC
0147-1307-4927
Had one of the closest matches of my life on Anthers Ladder. Prompted me to ask how some of you guys fight the matchup against Bowser? I always seem to struggle against them, for the obvious reasons. Thoughts?

I would not say you were really struggling that much but you were on losing since the beginning of the match (lol at that SD at the start) so props for the comeback.
Your megaman was pretty on point against that bowser so i can't say much, one thing i would suggest you use more is up-smash OOS though, it is really really good specially against bowser since bowser doesn't have anything safe to land with.

D

Deleted member

I would not say you were really struggling that much but you were on losing since the beginning of the match (lol at that SD at the start) so props for the comeback.
Your megaman was pretty on point against that bowser so i can't say much, one thing i would suggest you use more is up-smash OOS though, it is really really good specially against bowser since bowser doesn't have anything safe to land with.
Towards the end, I'm not sure why I didn't. But to be honest, Bowser always intimidates me. Especially a solid one. But looking back, I don't think I did 1 USmash out of shield. And I'm not sure why!

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172

Yeah, your Metal Blade > utilt setups were well executed. I'd definitely say use usmash to punish some of Bowser's landings instead of grabs. That will set you up for my next suggestion: Air Shooter. Use that against aerial Bowsers more often. He hates that move.

Mega Man/Lucario match up. Customs are gone now but what could I do differently to improve in this match up? I played pretty well but forced to time him out hard game 3.
You should pummel more when you grab. You're throwing away damage (almost literally) when you don't! You can typically get one pummel in from 30-70%. Two from 80-120%. Three from 130% and up. His pummel is slow but it hurts a lot.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, your Metal Blade > utilt setups were well executed. I'd definitely say use usmash to punish some of Bowser's landings instead of grabs. That will set you up for my next suggestion: Air Shooter. Use that against aerial Bowsers more often. He hates that move.
Ay yi yi. I wish I'd have thought of that. You're absolutely right. Reviewing the match, I had so many USmash opportunities. As Chrono said, he doesn't have many landing options, so Air Shooter would have been wonders. That's GREAT info! Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
You should pummel more when you grab. You're throwing away damage (almost literally) when you don't!
... was that intentional? Cause i lol'ed XD.

Gotta say i don't pummel as much as well, when i do i usually just go for one even at higher percents cause i'm afraid people might just mash out of it.

D

Deleted member

Man, I can't figure out the Mega/Lucario match up. This was needed though. My last two I lost. I think I panic, because I lost to a Lucario in tourney, many moons ago. I was totally bodying him, but once he got to 150%, he killed my first stock. And then my second, when I was at, like 40%. So I panic and try to rush the character.

D

Deleted member

Got to practice the Sheik match up with a YouTube'er called Mittenkiss.
We played quite a bit of matches -- I recorded 3 to upload and analyze.

But this kind of demonstrates my frustration with the matchup. Even trying to be safe can be difficult with Mega. However, Leaf Shield seemed to have thrown her off at times. Other than that, I think I chalk it up, again, to some edge-guarding/edge pressure.

I never know what's really safe to use on her. I tried to chase her after Bouncing Fish, and she can attack out of that. That threw me off guard.

I hope to continue working on this matchup. It's pretty tough.

SimplyChrono

Smash Cadet
NNID
SimplyChrono
3DS FC
0147-1307-4927

Got to practice the Sheik match up with a YouTube'er called Mittenkiss.
We played quite a bit of matches -- I recorded 3 to upload and analyze.

But this kind of demonstrates my frustration with the matchup. Even trying to be safe can be difficult with Mega. However, Leaf Shield seemed to have thrown her off at times. Other than that, I think I chalk it up, again, to some edge-guarding/edge pressure.

I never know what's really safe to use on her. I tried to chase her after Bouncing Fish, and she can attack out of that. That threw me off guard.

I hope to continue working on this matchup. It's pretty tough.
There really isn't anything megaman can throw out that is completly safe against sheik (maybe perfectly spaced lemons) just by the sheer amount of speed sheik has so i don't blame you at being frustated with the MU.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Yea I find it near jmpossible to edgeguard sheik. Vanish can stage spike you if you miss it, and bouncing fish allows her good mix ups.

D

Deleted member

You have to edgeguard/gimp Sheik.
Yeah. That's what I'm learning; an aggressive off-stage/edgeguarding pressure game seems to really help, in this matchup.

There really isn't anything megaman can throw out that is completly safe against sheik (maybe perfectly spaced lemons) just by the sheer amount of speed sheik has so i don't blame you at being frustated with the MU.
Yeah. I'm thinking that spacing is really critical in this matchup.

How do you even edgeguard vanish/bouncing fish?

Most of the times i either miss whatever i am trying to hit or get bouncing fished to the teeth.
One thing I've found to be really helpful, is ledge-trumping. I've played about 3 different Sheik's, recently, and have been successful with getting a ledge-trump BAir, DAir, or something else, through edge-guarding them. I also leaf-stooled my opponent, in one of my matches, as a gimp. So, I'd say mixup your edge-guard pressure game. I honestly think that's where Mega can shine nicely in this matchup.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Yea I find it near jmpossible to edgeguard sheik. Vanish can stage spike you if you miss it, and bouncing fish allows her good mix ups.
Forget stage spiking, it can outright kill you.
Yeah. That's what I'm learning; an aggressive off-stage/edgeguarding pressure game seems to really help, in this matchup.

Yeah. I'm thinking that spacing is really critical in this matchup.

One thing I've found to be really helpful, is ledge-trumping. I've played about 3 different Sheik's, recently, and have been successful with getting a ledge-trump BAir, DAir, or something else, through edge-guarding them. I also leaf-stooled my opponent, in one of my matches, as a gimp. So, I'd say mixup your edge-guard pressure game. I honestly think that's where Mega can shine nicely in this matchup.
Well, will try to keep that in mind from now on.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
what do you think of this battle I had against another Megaman? I think it was really even, FSmash where key here. Please give me feed back on my Megamam to see what else can I improve! Also I tried just filming the upper screen but it doesnt show the damage so I filmed both

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Rate my Mega Man from a scale of 1-10 and why? What are the next things I need to work on? Been taking my Mega Man a bit more seriously lately and I've been using him more often in SmashLadder and aanst my buddies, and for once I was able to ignore my pockets for a while. Been having a few difficulties in my recent tournaments and I wanna put a stop to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6974gSHN7g :4lucas::4samus::4yoshi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmaUG_0afh0 :4yoshi: (same Yoshi as in the previous video), 2nd match only

Also, the Yoshi player takes the most priority, please give me any avice on what I can do to defeat him. He was in our state's PR for the first season before he move away for a bit and now he's back, I lose to him the fair majority of the time and I wanna take all the help I can to beat him next time.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Rate my Mega Man from a scale of 1-10 and why? What are the next things I need to work on? Been taking my Mega Man a bit more seriously lately and I've been using him more often in SmashLadder and aanst my buddies, and for once I was able to ignore my pockets for a while. Been having a few difficulties in my recent tournaments and I wanna put a stop to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6974gSHN7g :4lucas::4samus::4yoshi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmaUG_0afh0 :4yoshi: (same Yoshi as in the previous video), 2nd match only

Also, the Yoshi player takes the most priority, please give me any avice on what I can do to defeat him. He was in our state's PR for the first season before he move away for a bit and now he's back, I lose to him the fair majority of the time and I wanna take all the help I can to beat him next time.
I will watch them later (I mean, any video of Megaman from after the last update is good due to the lack of videos of Megaman) one thing I can tell you for now is you could see the video of a tournament finals I had against a Yoshi that beat me, it should be in this thread, Ive fought the matchup a lot of times with my friends and Ive had to change my playstyles many times for keeping up with Yoshi

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
For the first video I can tell you you play kind of like me, pelleting a lot and throwing mb to make grabs which is fine, just add some thing to your gameplay, first of all mix up, dthrow to fair doesnt always work, try using more up throw and try juggling your opponent and fthrow and try to jump and throw a diagonal mb to them, I will suggest you to keep bthrow fresh for KOs, other thing is that you need to work on your punishes since there where time you could clearly grab and bthrow your opponent probably to their doom amd you didnt.. try using grabs more for punishes and as for Yoshi, dont do much smash attacks in front of it (maybe an upsmash after a missed grab), dont over use pellets because Yoshi can easily jump them or cancel them with its attacks, try using more diagonal up metalblade to mess with its approaches, not so sure about this but I think doing dthrow to nair is more guaranteed to combo than dthrow to fair, in battlefield you have an advantage against Yoshi because over there you can upthrow Yoshi and the platforms allow you to safely spam upairs, also dont try gimping Yoshi off stage that much because Yoshi can easily gimp you and youll have a hard time gimping it, another thing you should do and this is not only with Yoshi is when someone is grabbing the ledge and you predict a rolling get or they attacking on the ledge you should run a little bit and pivot fsmash to the exact distamce the shot will still hit them, one thing that gets me the most stocks from Yoshis is when they are at kill percentages, jump amd baiting an attack from Yoshi so I can jump again amd bair, or when Yoshi is coming back on stage while still on the air wait for ito attack or airdodge and bair it
on the second video you played much better and you even did the pivot fsmash thing, great! So the only thing I can tell you is the falling MB to uptilt is really useful against Yoshi becase the is not reason for it to stay graund at such a distance and the eggs his throw can be thrown diagonally, overall you did great and danger wrap did help a lot!

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
Some shaky stuff Pika Kong! One thing I discovered is that I could use the stand for my WiiU gamepad to hold my phone perfectly level. Rest your phone in it, the smaller one without the charger, and try and tilt it. Your phone should remain level(unless it's too fat to even fit inside), then it's just a matter of stacking a bunch of stuff so the video is eye level to the TV.

Downloaded and will watch in a bit. I may end up editing this post.

Last edited:

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Bleh havent posted in a while

Also got a match from Xlvan321

He uses some forward glide tossing

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace

Watched a little of 1 and 3 and I watched 2 completely.. The dude on the 3rd video knows how to make a DITCIT but it is still young so it seems he had a hard time applying it correctly, overall good battles! Keep improving your DITCIT

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Watched a little of 1 and 3 and I watched 2 completely.. The dude on the 3rd video knows how to make a DITCIT but it is still young so it seems he had a hard time applying it correctly, overall good battles! Keep improving your DITCIT
Uuuh, it the guy on the third vid is xIvan321, then yeah,of course he knows how to do it, isn't he the one who made the thread on how to toss it forward XD?

Also i can't watch it right now but i will say that i think ditcit is not so easy to use in a match.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, I only watched the first one, because my work computer REALLY sucks (good ole virtualization).
But some things to keep in mind against Fox, in the first match:

1. Fox doesn't have a kill throw. So don't be afraid to stay in shield. I heard this once from a top player (NAKAT or ZeRo, can't remember which). Of course, you don't want to allow Fox to get throw happy and gain stage control. But seriously, you will find yourself living SO much longer. I keep this in mind, specifically whenever I get the first kill on Fox, and they predictably try to force an USmash or DSmash.
  2. Specifically at kill percents, careful of your usage of your specials. I'm guilty myself, but I've been trying to optimize it more. You are most mobile with Mega's lemons. So, against fast characters, try to utilize that the most. Sometimes, it's best to land empty (without using a move), so you can shield immediately after, or roll. That's how you lost your first stock, in the first match; you were throwing the Metal Blade down (which all of us Mega Man mains do), and he NAired you to an USmash. As I mentioned earlier, The more you stay in shield against Fox (or characters with no kill throw), you will live longer.
Second match:

1. If it's anything I've learned from watching high level play, is try not to air-dodge (especially at kill percents). You almost lost your first stock with that air dodge. What I've noticed, is that most characters have a guaranteed follow up after a throw. There's nothing you can do about it, so what I do, is instead try to jump out of it, in case they try to bait my air-dodge. And if they don't, then they were supposed to get the follow up anyway. I, instead, try to work on my DI, to make it harder to do the follow up. Alternatively, like for combo heavy characters like Luigi, I Rush out of it, to avoid landing into another grab.
  2. Make sure you tech. You could've avoided the USmash in your first stock, if you teched (since you hit the ground). I miss it too sometimes, do to trying to tech too early. But Fox's like to use soft-NAirs or DAirs and follow up with a smash. So just keep that in mind. Almost lost your second stock to a USmash, but your Leaf Shield saved you! :)
  3. Lastly, you rolled quite a bit. And sometimes it was predictable. What I do instead of rolling to gain ensure that I can avoid punishes, is run away and use a pivot lemon, and short hop back if they are too close. Remember, you want to keep your right spacing with your opponents, which is especially important when fighting characters that rush down. My rule of thumb (that I never remember until too late) is to keep your distance. Especially if they know you approach after lemons or MB. Force them to come to you, and lemons are great because they are the lowest of commitment.
Of course, wifi is hard to judge. I say all of this, but I accidentally roll all the time, trying to dash and shield. And many of my tricks don't work sometimes, depending on the lag. But I did read one time, that aMSa (in regards to Melee), when prepping for a match, will try many different techniques, and if they aren't working, he will try to use them less in his gameplay, to reduce the amount of time he is punished. So remember, if something isn't working, or you see your opponent out-maneuvering you, try to cut that from your play.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
wow thank you so much, I really appreciate that info as it helps allot. I hope I am showing some improvement in my game play O_O

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
That is a good fox. Two big things that anyone playing a good fox should look out for.

Fox can get you in a semi-infinite combo he does jab 1 jab 2 then repeats without going into the jab finishing move. It slowly pushes you across the map. Haven't really figured a way to avoid it. I heard if they do it frame perfect it is inescapable.

Also they do a dair to Usmash combo that is a true combo at certain percents so look for that.

Also what they said about being safe in shield is correct especially at high percents they will go for the sliding Usmash a lot so be aware of it and don't do any laggy moves on the ground.

D

Deleted member

That is a good fox. Two big things that anyone playing a good fox should look out for.

Fox can get you in a semi-infinite combo he does jab 1 jab 2 then repeats without going into the jab finishing move. It slowly pushes you across the map. Haven't really figured a way to avoid it. I heard if they do it frame perfect it is inescapable.

Also they do a dair to Usmash combo that is a true combo at certain percents so look for that.

Also what they said about being safe in shield is correct especially at high percents they will go for the sliding Usmash a lot so be aware of it and don't do any laggy moves on the ground.
You can DI his jab infinite. Hold down+away and shield (like in his rapid jab combo). Might be percent based, but I've found that it works pretty consistently, as Mega Man's heaviness helps with that.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227

The second video, against Lucas, he was going on the same routine a lot of the time, and you were kinda going along with him. Every time he would approach by jumping and using an aerial, you could have predicted that after some times and used more short hop uairs, diagonal MBs or just shielding. Also when on the ledge, mix up more. Go for a roll, a jump then up B onto the stage, etc. I know that at high percents you get less invencibility and Lucas's dsmash and usmash are multi hit, but even at low percents, your opponent wasn't even trying to read your get up option, he was just throwing out dsmashes.
You also lost a lot of opportunities to get a grab and some follow ups and instead just shot a pellet at him when he missed an attack/grab.

Top Bottom