• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Downsmash: It has some utillity

GofG

Smash Champion
When I was playing against my friend's fox, I found that smashing down on the c-stick was a decent way of getting a bat in. When he's behind me, a downsmash with no charge will knock him directly into the air and, if I hit forward smash immediatly, I can get a bat in at most percentages.

Really, I was kind of amazed at how fast it comes out when I used it accidently like this the first time. It may still be Ness's worst move, but it's not completely useless. Or maybe it is, my Ness is still kind of newb.

Try it out sometime. Maybe come back and tell me there's a better way to get a combo started when there's a spacie right behind you.

Masky

Smash Master
Down smash is a terrible move :( In that situation, my personal preference would probably be to try to land a DjCed bair even though that might not work if your opponent is expecting it, so it's good to see different ideas. Maybe you can even do a bair or uair juggle after the down smash instead of the bat if there's enough time?

I think that Simna said once that he used down smash to YYG Marth while edgeguarding, with the yo-yo hanging off the edge (iirc) :eek:

GofG

Smash Champion
Hmm... The thing is... I dunno, it just seems like dsmash literally hits on the second frame. When speed is of the essence, I find myself throwing it out there. Like when I need to interrupt a dash attack or something.

It also has the advantage of being a disjointed hitbox, and at most percentages it will knock a spacie up to the perfect height to be able to get a bat in. Because of the postlag on the dsmash, though, it'd be hard to get much else in.

I haven't really experimented with it much. I'm thinking there might be enough time to get a grab in, though.

The thing about DjCing a bair is that it doesn't really set itself up for a combo, and my DjC isn't fast enough yet.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Dsmash is terrible. There is always, 100% of the time, a better move to use than a dsmash. Even if it hits on the second frame, you seem to forget the attack has to FINISH, which leaves you very very open, especially if your attack misses.

Plus, Ness can't combo. The D-smash is DIable at any percent.

Fhed

Smash Apprentice
Well i find it actually helpful if u know when and how to use it. This week i pulled a crazy combo from using it. I was playing my friend who was playing with shiek. He just recovered and grabbed on the ledge on FD. I then waited for him to approach me, so then i did the down smash. It popped the sheik into the air and i followed it with a DjC up air. That shot the shiek into the air. Then i jumped into the air as Sheik approached the ground and fired the pk thunder and shot myself towards sheik killing him.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
The fact that D-smash is CAPABLE of setting up people isn't the issue, the fact is, the attack is slow, it's predictable, and there is always, 100% of the time, in EVERY situation, a better move.

Levitas

the moon
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that probably wasn't a combo. It was probably an uninterrupted string of attacks.

However, no marths expect a yoyo to appear in between the platforms of battlefield when they're trying to keep you on a side platform with fairs. And in other random instances, I can see it working out.

Fortunately, Ness has a better move for just about every situation possible. I, for one, am really glad that he doesn't have to rely on a "smash" that has less knockback than the average tilt, but with much more lag, and less stun/damage. What a bad move.

EDIT: lol @ near simultaneous reply

DD151

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... The thing is... I dunno, it just seems like dsmash literally hits on the second frame.
more like the twelfth frame

it's pretty slow

furthermore i seriously doubt that dsmash can stun anyone for at least the 63 or so frames it takes for dsmash to end from when the hitbox first comes out and for fsmash to come out

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
One bad part about the D smash is you must turn around to hit the person for fullest damage. The more time from the execution to hit the opponent the weaker it is.

Levitas

the moon
lol, turning around is the least of this attack's issues. Turning around only takes 1 frame, btw.

On the other hand, yyging off Dsmash is both unexpected and sweet when it happens.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Yea but you can't turn around while running toward your opponent or wavedashing to your opponent.

Levitas

the moon
Actually, you can turn around during a wavedash. for the record. Or you could turn around, then wavedash. Your choice.

Top Bottom