• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Download-A-Character

raul

Smash Lord
Ok, I have an idea and I think alot of people would like this. Since SSBB is planning on having internet play, why not have 4 or 5 characters that could be bought with WII points on the WIIshop channel? Nintendo could have a survey with every Brawl game pruchase or send out one out via Nintendo website, asking fans to select maybe a few characters that they would like to be downloadable. I think it benefits both Nintendo and fans. Fans get a few extra characters and Nintendo gets some more money, via the purchase of WII points.

People could use Wii points to purchase maybe 3 characters and maybe some stages. Also, perhaps stages could or characters from Melee that were not in Brawl could be downloaded for free, so those who miss Pichu (hahaha) or Dr. Mario could play them in Brawl.

The major debate has been whether to actually charge for the characters. I don't see why if each character and stage was worth 2-400 Wii points that people wouldn't be interested.
If each character was worth even 200 Wii points, you could get all 3 characters and the stages for $20 rather than paying for each individual character.

The other idea that was mentioned by another poster was to download an update. The update then would be opened in the game unlocking a new character, stage, etc.
This may actually be the better way to go about it.

Anybody else think its a good idea? Any ways to improve the idea?

]

Albiel

Smash Apprentice
It's a great idea, but I'm not sure Sakurai's gonna go for it...I wouldn't think you would have to pay money for a character...
Agreed. Besides, I think that $60 would be a little steep for 3 characters.

Cog

Smash Apprentice
Also, what about the people who don't buy the characters and play a person online who has them. How would the person's game be able to see and fight a character that they themselves don't have. So, maybe the characters should be free, that way everyone could download them. But, this still would get in the way of the people who dont have them and still go online to fight. IDK just speculation

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
I personally don't like it. It makes more sense to earn it, rather than spend more money (other than buying the game) to have to buy more characters :|. Not like I have a money tree in the backyard.

Also you may want to lower the price from your example, since it's just the same or a little less than what the games going to sell for lol. (60$ for the game and then another 60$ for 3 characters lol o_O)

raul

Smash Lord
Also, what about the people who don't buy the characters and play a person online who has them. How would the person's game be able to see and fight a character that they themselves don't have. So, maybe the characters should be free, that way everyone could download them. But, this still would get in the way of the people who dont have them and still go online to fight. IDK just speculation
No, no that makes sense. This is another thing I didn't think of. Another valid post. Nothing wrong with that. Perhaps free characters are the way to go in that case. Still that whole, some can't get online does pose a problem.

raul

Smash Lord
I personally don't like it. It makes more sense to earn it, rather than spend more money (other than buying the game) to have to buy more characters :|. Not like I have a money tree in the backyard.

Also you may want to lower the price from your example, since it's just the same or a little less than what the games going to sell for lol. (60$ for the game and then another 60$ for 3 characters lol o_O)
Yeah I'm just going to remove the example since some won't read the post properly.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
WAY too expensive, I am not going to pay more for three characters than the game. also I dont think downloadable characters would unless they were free. if you could download them free, why wouldnt you? and besidesif you go with brawl online it may just GIVE you the characters automaticaly, so the game knows they exist when you challenge someone else.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
PS3 and xbox360 games have extra downloadable content, I don't see why the Wii can't have it. Unless Nintendo is just cheap like that.

Believe it or not there are people THAT stupid who would pay anything for more characters, I personally think is a bad idea.
They would of course charge a reasonable price. Disregard the high price the OP mentioned.

I don't know how the wii point system works, that might get in the way of this idea.

Hallowed Storm

Smash Journeyman
We're already paying a lot of money for Brawl. I don't see why we should have to pay even more money to get characters that should have been included in the game in the first place.

I mean-- it's a good idea, but I just don't think that Brawl is the right game for it.

Anyways, some people don't have internet connections. This would be a MAJOR disadvantage.

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
the idea is great, but really expensive per character. If they could set that up, maybe 300 pts for a character and 700 for a stage (if stages are included as well). this could also work with items, AT's and Pokemon.

T-major

Smash Champion
this is an absolutely horrible idea... why the hell should I have to pay to get all the characters? I don't have that kind of money; even if I did, I sure as hell wouldn't be happy about spending it on something that should be in the game to begin with!

Metalknux

Smash Ace
Ok, I have an idea and I think alot of people would like this. Since SSBB is planning on having internet play, why not have 4 or 5 characters that could be bought with WII points on the WIIshop channel? Nintendo could have a survey with every Brawl game pruchase or send out one out via Nintendo website, asking fans to select maybe a few characters that they would like to be downloadable. I think it benefits both Nintendo and fans. Fans get a few extra characters and Nintendo gets some more money, via the purchase of WII points. Now I am sure this could be come expensive for the fans considering it cost USD $20 TO obtain 2,000 WII points. So maybe a fair number of WII points would be 3 thousand. So if they are 3 character for example at 2,000 WII points each = 6,000 WII points for all 3 characters.

Anybody else think its a good idea?

]

This is really starting to bug me...
Why don't you put your character support icons in your sig?

Glinth

Smash Journeyman
****ing ******** =_=
why the **** would I want
to pay for something that they could
just make unlockable?

Benefit the fans WTF? How would it benefit me?!
I'm barely going to be able to afford brawl as is, why would
I want to have to pay even more to get a few extra characters?!
=_=

If they cant go online...how can it not be fair? How would it effect them if they can't connect with someone who does have the character?
Because it's not fair for some people if others can get a character that they can't...

Arteen

Smash Lord
Because it's not fair for some people if others can get a character that they can't...
If they can't get online, then that's their problem. It's not fair to prevent everyone from getting new content just because some people won't have ways to access it.

Anyways, I think downloadable characters for Brawl would be great, assuming the obvious that the content wasn't already finished be the game's release and removed from the retail version as a way to milk money out of consumers, of course. I don't think Sakurai would allow something like that. Assuming that this extra content is developed after the game's release, I don't see why it would be a bad thing. I'm certain people would have liked new characters and stages for Melee, too.

Jackbandit

Smash Rookie
Why dont they have a vote for characters using the submit function and every six months months or so, the character with most votes becomes free to download

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
The only downside I can see is for people who don't have the money or can't go online.

Also, too MANY characters available would be a bit messy to deal with online.

raul

Smash Lord
well, it's not a bad idea, but paying $60 for 3 characters? now that's absurd and insane
Yes I screwed up with the numbers.. That is my fault and I apologize for the ridiculous over estimation. I shall edit the original post for this reason.

If they cant go online...how can it not be fair? How would it effect them if they can't connect with someone who does have the character?
Makes sense to me. But more people will cry that it is unfair.

This is really starting to bug me...
Why don't you put your character support icons in your sig?
I loved to, but for whatever reason I am unable to edit my sig to allow picture files of any kind. I'm currently working on the problem. There's your explantation. Was it worth worrying about? Discuss the topic not my sig.

For every one that posts this: You do realize that there are whole games like Donkey Kong 64, Sonic games and Legend of Zelda games on the wii shop that people who don't have online access can't get to. What's the difference there?

If they can't get online, then that's their problem. It's not fair to prevent everyone from getting new content just because some people won't have ways to access it.

Anyways, I think downloadable characters for Brawl would be great, assuming the obvious that the content wasn't already finished be the game's release and removed from the retail version as a way to milk money out of consumers, of course. I don't think Sakurai would allow something like that. Assuming that this extra content is developed after the game's release, I don't see why it would be a bad thing. I'm certain people would have liked new characters and stages for Melee, too.
Nice idea getting the Melee stuff incorporated.

The only downside I can see is for people who don't have the money or can't go online.

Also, too MANY characters available would be a bit messy to deal with online.
fir point again. There could always be a limited of characters so that it would be over whelming, say 3 characters.

na it's not going to happen
period
please close thread
What is the point in this post? Close your membership for pointless comments like that.

Any way, a lot of great post for the most part. I shall edit my original thread to the suggestions and the criticisms those of you talked about.

My personal feeling is that I screwed up the whole wii points thing so give me a few to edit it.

Thanks again and great ideas,
--Raul

Oh and one more thing:

]

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Why dont they have a vote for characters using the submit function and every six months months or so, the character with most votes becomes free to download
This is almost the exact same method I was pondering on. Have a game update that releases every 6 months, and players basically receive a downloadable package including a new stage, a new character, a couple new pokeballs/AT's, and an item or two.

Quite frankly, I think this would be an awesome way to keep fans drawn into the game, as if they won't be already. ^_^

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
what I think they should do is (if they do plan on releasing downloadable content for Brawl):

I dont know how to explain it that well....but you download the update and then you unlock whatever the downloadable thingymajiger was....so for example.....if you downloaded a character, you unlock the character in the game instead of you download it and dundundunDUN! you start out with the character or stage or w/e...

did I explain myself ok?

Super_alex2

Smash Journeyman
$20 a character?!?!? no way! and this has been thought of before. I think it would be better if they were UPDATES, such as like a month or two after brawls release they started adding on things such as characters or stages. Having these downloadable from the get-go would be a scam.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I have to pay more $ out of my pocket if I want additional cool characters?! Hmmm.....*ponders*

I kind of like this idea 50/50 % wise. No more, no less.

Dragothel

Smash Journeyman
I think its a really cool idea, but theres no way it'll work, just because of the fact that some people can't get online.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
this is an absolutely horrible idea... why the hell should I have to pay to get all the characters? I don't have that kind of money; even if I did, I sure as hell wouldn't be happy about spending it on something that should be in the game to begin with!
They start developing the characters after the game comes out, and charge a small amount for em. Its not withholding content that should have been in the game, its adding extra content.

So many people here BEG to have their weird little characters... I don't see why you guys are against something that would get you more characters.

I think its a really cool idea, but theres no way it'll work, just because of the fact that some people can't get online.
People in third world countries. j/k

raul

Smash Lord
what I think they should do is (if they do plan on releasing downloadable content for Brawl):

I dont know how to explain it that well....but you download the update and then you unlock whatever the downloadable thingymajiger was....so for example.....if you downloaded a character, you unlock the character in the game instead of you download it and dundundunDUN! you start out with the character or stage or w/e...

did I explain myself ok?

No I get it and that's a pretty cool way to do it too. Perhaps thats the best way to do if it were to be done at all.

Also to all others, I have updated the orignal post so go ahead and check that out.

Top Bottom