• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down Tilt

burrhe

Smash Cadet
The down tilt seems like I should be able to get some guaranteed follow ups (especially when it trips), but I'm having trouble getting anything out of it.
Does anyone know what causes the tripping of the enemy hit? It seems just random atm and I just need some practice to learn when to commit to a chase down.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Down tilt can be followed by down b at 0-low percents. It doesn't even matter if they trip honestly. They're either going to get combo'd or they get hit with DK's down tilt and the down b puts pressure on their shield and pushes them back.

I've found this is much better on the edge, where i hope for them not to trip. As down b can't push them back with there not being anymore stage left. If they continue shielding, their shield breaks and they simply fall off the stage and die.

Neon!

Smash Lord
If the opponent does trip and you are close enough, fully charged punch will always connect which is very damaging

Chief Chili

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChiefChili
3DS FC
4399-0356-3573
Down tilt can be followed by down b at 0-low percents. It doesn't even matter if they trip honestly. They're either going to get combo'd or they get hit with DK's down tilt and the down b puts pressure on their shield and pushes them back.

I've found this is much better on the edge, where i hope for them not to trip. As down b can't push them back with there not being anymore stage left. If they continue shielding, their shield breaks and they simply fall off the stage and die.
I always tend to go for a f smash which I think is a bad habit. Thanks for the tips.

Also I think we may have played a few days ago in For Glory? You were a green DK and I was white DK. You were a very good player and I got bodied haha but ggs it was a good learning experience.

UNCjer

Smash Rookie
Grab always connects and you might be able to follow up on the grab depending on the situation.

Example at 0%:

D-tilt -> Grab -> F-Throw (Upwards) -> U-air

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
I always tend to go for a f smash which I think is a bad habit. Thanks for the tips.

Also I think we may have played a few days ago in For Glory? You were a green DK and I was white DK. You were a very good player and I got bodied haha but ggs it was a good learning experience.
By chance do you recall the name of the green DK?

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Dtilt is also useful for locking someone if you are lucky enough to have someone not tech.

Only thing I have found that people don't tech that also leaves you close enough is sh dair at around 14-18% (take into account rage)

sh-dair->2 d-tilts->side-b-> anything (depending on how good someone is at mashing)

Not always practical but stylish and fun if you are playing someone who doesn't tech.

Also I don't really want to share much anti DK tech, but jumping out of shield destroys destroys just throwing out d-tilt into down-b carelessly. But I wouldn't worry to much out it since a lot of air moves don't have the range they did in brawl.

Last edited:

RiotLettuce

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiotLettuce
3DS FC
0877-2587-1813
Some good uses I find out of downtilt could be more down tilts as a get away from me hit especially on top of the edge you can just repeat downtilt and hit most people out of their double jump leaving an obvious recovery. Or there's downtilt trip into side b into uair when they get out. However the easiest for me is downtilt into grab. Most of the time if you downtilt, even if it doesn't trip, it's almost guaranteed you're gonna get the grab. Then depending on what you prefer to do with a grab, play with your food how you like.

Also another thing I like doing at higher percentages is burying them with side b then swatting at them continuously with dtilt if you're unsure they'll break out before your fsmash can connect.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599

Haha Yeah i think i remember that. It's extremely rare playing against another DK on for glory but it usually leads to some fun matches.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
The down tilt seems like I should be able to get some guaranteed follow ups (especially when it trips), but I'm having trouble getting anything out of it.
Does anyone know what causes the tripping of the enemy hit? It seems just random atm and I just need some practice to learn when to commit to a chase down.
down-tilt into dash attack, down-tilt into grab, and at low damage, down-tilt into donkey-punch :p

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
I tend to use it as a disrupter and also just for the slapping the feet sound effect, so tasty. I find they're usually open for grabbing if you follow immediately.

Roager

Smash Ace
I usually follow it up with grab. The other good option is to just wait and try to play the wakeup game. Down-B has a wide enough hitbox that you can punish rolls pretty easily. Doesn't require as much fron your reflexes that way.

Gloman600

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gloman600
does a dtilt resulting in a trip at the edge of stage affect recovery at all do they trip of stage and unable to recover?

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
You cannot be tripped while in the air.

Donging

Smash Rookie
at low percents i find it easier to simply go with an option off of just reaction time, regardless of whether or not they trip, since even the slightest hesitation will likely mean your opponent is gonna mash roll back/get up attack. So basically, if you're not getting follow ups off of d-tilt, practice reacting as quickly as possibly with your follow up, rather than trying to get a read or go for a chase. That in mind, here's some good follow-ups at different percents:

0 - ~40:
  1. Down-B: considered by most to be the most basic bnb follow-up off of d-tilt. Works great even w/o the trip since this move DESTROYS shields now. Practice only hitting B one time so that you only get the two hits, anymore and DK slaps the ground for an unnecessary amount of time, allowing the opponent to drift back down and punish with an aerial. this option can and WILL get punished by jumping out of shield and approaching DK in the air with basically any attack, since Down-b only hits grounded opponents. Does around 20%.
  2. F-Smash: Literally only connects when you get a trip and your reaction speed is fast enough. When done correctly, DK will be pulling his hands back for the attack while the opponent is still in the tripping animation. Guaranteed with a trip and properly timed inputs. Additionally, this move has great shield-push, making it somewhat safe on shield as long as they don't get a perfect shield. Does just shy of 30%, making it the second most optimal choice for d-tilts at early %
  3. GIANT PUNCHUUUUU: Same as above, except does just shy of 40%. Keep in mind that a not fully charged punch has a few more frames of start up than a fully-charged one, so be advised as experienced players can roll away no problem. Personally, I avoid using this because i like to save my super armor punch for a sneaky KO.
  4. F-tilt: Basically your safest option, fastest option to use. Only does about 16-17%.
  5. Dash Grab: D-tilt is the best way for DK to get grabs at low percents. Even without the trip, you can usually force your opponents shield out just by poking at their feet. At higher-mid percents, Jab 1 into grab is an easier confirm. Once you have the grab, Cargo Uthrow into just about any aerial for solid damage. On big-bodies and a few fast fallers (the only two characters i know for sure are Ike and Shiek), you can do the notorious m2k b-air into up-b for a 62% true combo.
50 - ~70
  1. Dash Grab: Needs to be spaced really well since a lot of characters will fall just outside of DK's dash grab range around this percent. With buffed Cargo Uthrow, this is the percent you want to look for a grab to take an early stock.
  2. Dash Attack: Your best bet for straight damage. Confirms with trip consistently since dash attack goes a super-long distance in this game. Try to read their double jump and line up a b-air afterwards, and set up for an edgeguard.
80+

this is the percent where d-tilt becomes significantly less useful. it's good for spacing, since its a quick move with decent range, but not much else. as previously mentioned, you can try to read your opponents jump, at which point your best bet is trying to shark with an u-air or b-air. IMO, the most useful way to utilize this move at higher percents is to slap away characters that have a tough time snapping to the ledge to set up an edgeguard. As long as you're ready to take any trades that might go down, you can usually follow up with a D-air offstage to end a stock, but that works at a setup at much lower percents as well.

That's about it! anyone else feel free to add on. I've been playing with DK for a few months now and these are some of the follow-ups i've found useful with d-tilt

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
at low percents i find it easier to simply go with an option off of just reaction time, regardless of whether or not they trip, since even the slightest hesitation will likely mean your opponent is gonna mash roll back/get up attack. So basically, if you're not getting follow ups off of d-tilt, practice reacting as quickly as possibly with your follow up, rather than trying to get a read or go for a chase. That in mind, here's some good follow-ups at different percents:

0 - ~40:
  1. Down-B: considered by most to be the most basic bnb follow-up off of d-tilt. Works great even w/o the trip since this move DESTROYS shields now. Practice only hitting B one time so that you only get the two hits, anymore and DK slaps the ground for an unnecessary amount of time, allowing the opponent to drift back down and punish with an aerial. this option can and WILL get punished by jumping out of shield and approaching DK in the air with basically any attack, since Down-b only hits grounded opponents. Does around 20%.
  2. F-Smash: Literally only connects when you get a trip and your reaction speed is fast enough. When done correctly, DK will be pulling his hands back for the attack while the opponent is still in the tripping animation. Guaranteed with a trip and properly timed inputs. Additionally, this move has great shield-push, making it somewhat safe on shield as long as they don't get a perfect shield. Does just shy of 30%, making it the second most optimal choice for d-tilts at early %
  3. GIANT PUNCHUUUUU: Same as above, except does just shy of 40%. Keep in mind that a not fully charged punch has a few more frames of start up than a fully-charged one, so be advised as experienced players can roll away no problem. Personally, I avoid using this because i like to save my super armor punch for a sneaky KO.
  4. F-tilt: Basically your safest option, fastest option to use. Only does about 16-17%.
  5. Dash Grab: D-tilt is the best way for DK to get grabs at low percents. Even without the trip, you can usually force your opponents shield out just by poking at their feet. At higher-mid percents, Jab 1 into grab is an easier confirm. Once you have the grab, Cargo Uthrow into just about any aerial for solid damage. On big-bodies and a few fast fallers (the only two characters i know for sure are Ike and Shiek), you can do the notorious m2k b-air into up-b for a 62% true combo.
50 - ~70
  1. Dash Grab: Needs to be spaced really well since a lot of characters will fall just outside of DK's dash grab range around this percent. With buffed Cargo Uthrow, this is the percent you want to look for a grab to take an early stock.
  2. Dash Attack: Your best bet for straight damage. Confirms with trip consistently since dash attack goes a super-long distance in this game. Try to read their double jump and line up a b-air afterwards, and set up for an edgeguard.
80+

this is the percent where d-tilt becomes significantly less useful. it's good for spacing, since its a quick move with decent range, but not much else. as previously mentioned, you can try to read your opponents jump, at which point your best bet is trying to shark with an u-air or b-air. IMO, the most useful way to utilize this move at higher percents is to slap away characters that have a tough time snapping to the ledge to set up an edgeguard. As long as you're ready to take any trades that might go down, you can usually follow up with a D-air offstage to end a stock, but that works at a setup at much lower percents as well.

That's about it! anyone else feel free to add on. I've been playing with DK for a few months now and these are some of the follow-ups i've found useful with d-tilt
Nice post. I'd like to add that around 100% Dtilt can force a tech chase on non-floaty characters. You can punish any techs from that situation with a read and punish any missed techs with a running Punch for the KO. I also don't think Ftilt is ever worth going for on a trip if you can help it.

The hesitation from trying to react to the trip is something that I think a lot of people probably have problems with. I'd rather get punished for buffering my combo whether or not they trip, than to miss the combo because I messed up and waited too long. I think Dash Grab out of trip is a pretty lenient hitconfirm combo that most people should go for at low %'s, especially since DK's grab is so devastating now.

Top Bottom