• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down throw into a down smash

REanimat0r

Smash Rookie
I watch a lot of falco videos where they grab, downthrow and down smash (or downtilt/reflector/ect.). I don't get why people use that so much because it's really easy to tech, but then I don't understand why I don't see a lot of people tech it. When I play as falco, most of the people tech my down throws so i've gotten out of the habit of doing it for the most part but when I watch pros play falco and do it their opponent never techs it. I honestly think it's a good set-up, it's just so easy to get out of.

So why is it used so much?
And why do a lot of people not tech it?

Fonz

Smash Ace
Other light characters can't tech it as well, like jiggly. I like mixing up uthrow and dthrow vs foxes. Dthrow regrab uthrow shine bair or something similar.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
what ive learned is, dthrow to dsmash is so easy to tech out of, that pros dont expect it and so dont see it coming.

Edg

Smash Cadet
Well, its really a metagame issue. The majority of the falco players would downthrow to downsmash/tilt/shine so people started teching out of the throw. Now, I see falco players techchase right after the downthrow, expecting them to tech out anyway(i really dont like falcos other throws, so if you catch them in the grab its really your only option). Now people are starting to not tech or tech in place so falcos are starting to dsmash again. On top of that theres always the problem of fox teching it and people not knowing how to tech.

@ce

Smash Apprentice
easy, if u dont have predictable throws then itll catch em. also, a throwee has less of a chance to tech or di properly if they are thrown the instant they are grabbed.

REanimat0r

Smash Rookie
Well I see Bombsoldier downthrow sometimes three maybe even four times or more in a battle against marths. Personally, I like to throw up, jump spike shine/up-tilt. I know that when some characters are at low percentages and they tech it you can still hit them right after but it's just so easy to tech, it's just one of those things I expect pros to get out of the habit of doing. I can see why people wouldn't expect it though.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
well the best time to use dthrow to dsmash is against jiggs...u have to be very careful with a highly advanced fox...because even if they cant tech they can do other stuff...if they are very fast they can actually have the possiblity of shining u b4 u do anything to them...peace

-hiroshi
uber-worst fl smasher

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
it usually ***** my friend who plays fox because he would always try to shine out of my dthrows, and i would try and shine too but it would cancel out. but when i used a dsmash immediately out of it his shine didn't hit me and he got smashed. sometimes i'd get lucky and shieldgrab him like 4 times then dthrow -> dsmash.

A-Laon

Smash Master
Personally, I almost never use this. I usually prefer to just rack up damage with a good series of grab attacks and a forward throw; however, in the event I use the dthrow, I actually rarely even try an immediate follow-up but instead chase their tech by laser rushing to keep the pressure on. D-throw to D-smash just doesn't do anything for me.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Personally, I almost never use this. I usually prefer to just rack up damage with a good series of grab attacks and a forward throw; however, in the event I use the dthrow, I actually rarely even try an immediate follow-up but instead chase their tech by laser rushing to keep the pressure on. D-throw to D-smash just doesn't do anything for me.
That's cause everyone in Pittsburgh who plays Fox knows a way around this and everyone else techs, so in the Pittsburgh metagame, it's terrible. Techchasing with SHL to grab though is fun.

th0rn

Smash Lord
If the fox can get the right timing on the shine he can do it before you can get anything off.

Top Bottom