• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down-smash discussion

Hax

Smash Champion
what's up, this is the same as the nikita discussion thread i made, but for down-smash. like the nikita, i haven't found much of a use for this move. whenever i plant it the other player just uses a disjointed move to get rid of it. yes, even lasers get rid of the mine which is pretty g@y. any uses for this?

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
You can make good use of platforms for the mines on certain stages such as the new starfox stage (forgot name), shadow moses, the everpopular battlefield, etc....they work well at hindering your opponent's mobility, and you can catch them when they are forced to get grounded trying to avoid a mine with Snake's ownage tilts.

I sometimes plant a full charged one after a KO. Then hope that my opponent doesn't blow it up in his invincibility frames when he comes back next stock (usually doesn't on big stages). Otherwise I usually plant it between my opponent and I after knocking them far, and then hang back and launch nikitas.

Hmm..and you might want to take into account how much damage you have on yourself and relate that to whether you want to charge your mine or not, if you choose to plant one at all (in case you blow yourself up on it). At high damage I don't usually risk having one down, or else just a regular uncharged dsmash that I camp behind.

I mean you can't avoid them detonating it with projectiles/disjointed hits...you'd just have to use it sparingly depending on the character matchup...They're a blessing and a curse really....

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
rusty's right. A dsmash is primarily used to limit your opponents mobility, allowing you more control of the map. And by that, I mean you control the mine, where it goes and when. Best used on platform stages, where Snake's long reach and multiple projectiles can really take control of the stage. Just put it on a platform or wherever you don't want your opponent to be, and you have officially started messing with his head.

Now it all depends on what you do after you set the mine.

DrakeFreedom

Smash Cadet
another use for the down smash is if you and your opponent is close enough you can grab him and throw him FORWARD into the mine i found that is works very well but that is very situational

imnotIAM

Smash Rookie
its funny how many times I have walked right into my own mine, but I have also found that throwing them on it works really well. A lot of times they try to avoid it for a while but forget about it rather quick. I try to push them towards it using my nikitas or even remote mines.

good mind game.

Taalcon

Smash Journeyman
Hax, stick a mine on a platform, like one on battlefield. If I remember right, if the other guy hits it with a sword from beneath, it hits him, even if he's under the platform.

kevc

Smash Cadet
its funny how many times I have walked right into my own mine, but I have also found that throwing them on it works really well. A lot of times they try to avoid it for a while but forget about it rather quick. I try to push them towards it using my nikitas or even remote mines.

good mind game.
lol happens to me as well, sometimes i plant the down smash then decide its time to do a mortar slide....half way through my slide i realize i just mined that spot split second after...you kno what happens... lol

i think the key to using these are to make them forget about it so they will walk into it eventually, while you avoid it at all costs

rigapeen

Smash Apprentice
theyre best on edges and platforms. doesnt do that much on the edge but it does limit their options. if you are good you can throw people into mines. against some characters i'll put a mine dead in the middle of the stage and start dropping/picking up mines and throwing them at the opponent right when they explode. someone should think of a name for this btw.

like all projectiles, even if they suck like fox's laser, you have to use them all the time or else your opponent is free to do whatever he wants.
so, if your opponent is good, putting a mine on the edge stops him from landing on the ledge without grabbing, and it stops him from doing a ledge A attack thing. you'll probably never kill him but you have to do it.

MightyRoar

Smash Rookie
the problem with the dsmash is that your opponent can see where you're planting it. it's not so much of a problem on your part though, because you can also manually detonate your dsmash by throwing a grenade at it. this works especially well when others try to short hop over it or when they forget that its there (i believe the mine is less visible if you charge it, but i'm not so sure about that. i haven't tested it yet). using nikita works well too, but requires more planning and controlling where your opponent goes.

Slaymaker

Smash Rookie
Well heres a tactic everyone uses with Snake, most of the time if they leave the mine where it is... Either one of you forget it in the heat of battle so the one with the better mind keeps from getting blown out of the stage.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
You should never forget where you plant your mine. That's a given. Always have a portion of your brain kept specifically for remembering where that mine is. It could ruin your whole stock if you got blasted by your own mine.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
You should never forget where you plant your mine. That's a given. Always have a portion of your brain kept specifically for remembering where that mine is. It could ruin your whole stock if you got blasted by your own mine.

Top Bottom