• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down B spike, Anyone else use it?

canswer

Smash Cadet
DBS (Down B spike) with Ganondorf are not only an awfully bad *** way to end someones stock, but I seem to be using it even more then Ganon's already feared stomp (down air). and I'm not talking about a suicide spike, most of the time I use the DBS i don't even leave the level (it spikes at an angle, so there is no need to leave the level sometimes) and 95% of the time i DON'T die.

there several different ways which the DBS can be effective,

if people are hanging form the edge if you time it right and jump right before they do, and down B immediately as they are getting back on, you will spike them to their doom. (doesn't work if they roll on)

jumping from platforms of battle field or other levels with platforms and using the DBS similar to Ganon's regular spike works, it is just a tad more risky. ALWAYS save a jump for this method, it is possible to jump once Down b off the level jump and up B back. you just can get out of control and jump twice cause that = death.
One awesome thing about this method is that if you jump off and DBS into someones up b usually they will get spiked and you will be hit by there up B putting you back on the level very easily.

So the way i see it Ganondorf has two very bad *** spikes, and if you mix and match well enough it will be very difficult to tell how they will be ***** next.

Sorry i don't have videos up, i'm trying to make a combo video that will demonstrate what i'm talking about, But Vista FTL

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
i find the down b spike to be far too situational, but there have been times where i have used it well or by accident.

down b edge cancelled into another down b (off stage) to spike my opponent. (this was complete luck thou)
but as u mentioned if timed right down b can be used to spike without putting urself at risk

Metal_Dave

Smash Journeyman
Don't rely too much on it unless someone is going to edge guard me from high above with an u-air then for sure I go surprise them with a down b and spike them to their death. ^_^

:034:

Smash Hero
Was a lot more useful in Melee since the angle was different (not to mention that if you messed up you could easily make it back). Now dair is just a lot better, it has a much larger hitbox (disjointed), it's stronger and quicker.

I'm interested in seeing your video, though. It'll have to be pretty **** amazing to be convincing to us, though.

echos

Smash Journeyman
I agree Canswer it can be useful just don't get reckless with it don't put your self in a situation where you will gimp yourself on getting back on the stage

canswer

Smash Cadet
Now dair is just a lot better, it has a much larger hitbox (disjointed), it's stronger and quicker.

I'm interested in seeing your video, though. It'll have to be pretty **** amazing to be convincing to us, though.

I agree the Dair overall is more reliable, but there are things the DBS can do that Dair just can't

off the top of my head i have a replay were i DBS a jigglypuff through the edge of battlefield, jiggly was flying pressed up against the slanted underside and i jumped and down b'd right on top for the spike, pretty sexy kill. there is no way a Dair could spike like that.

I'm just saying that I've messed with DBS ALOT and for awile i forgot about Dair altogether, having both is almost unfair :)

Don't worry the video will blow your nuts off :) i just have 271 replays to sort out

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Yeah, the down-B meteor was easier to pull off in Melee (mainly because it gave you another jump afterwards) so I don't use it too much these days. But if you can pull it off in Brawl consistently and live... Kudos.

Phazon Warrior

Smash Cadet
Pulling off a Wizard Foot spike in Brawl is bit harder, mainly because the Wizard Foot also sends the opponent upward. I personally have killed more by sending people flying than spiking downward with the Wizard Foot spike.

If you could pull off the Wizard Foot spike more consistently in a low risk method, it would be very useful.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Personally I think the Down-B spike is just a novelty. I dunno, maybe it combos into the ground hit? =/

canswer

Smash Cadet
Well IMO the Down B spike is just as good as Dair, just different situations. with enough practice the Down B spike is just as practical, once i get some videos up it may help...

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
yea im gonna agree with canswer here as long as you do it in the right situation it can be just about as useful as Dair plus people will not see this one coming i mean to be honest ganon is famous for murdering with thwo moves, murder choke and Dair so it would be nice to throw this little bit in, oh and if you fight people who air dodge spikes alot this could be useful cause of that split second of start up which they would probably air dodge in then you come and spike them

Metal_Dave

Smash Journeyman
off the top of my head i have a replay were i DBS a jigglypuff through the edge of battlefield, jiggly was flying pressed up against the slanted underside and i jumped and down b'd right on top for the spike, pretty sexy kill. there is no way a Dair could spike like that.
Yeah I was about to mention this, since I felt like playing around with DBS I actually got a nasty spike through the slope near the edge of Final D against a Diddy Kong last night. When I saw this I was just in shock. Hopefully I can get it to work more often.

theEffinBear

Smash Apprentice
The low startup lag on the aerial Murder Kick is probably its biggest advantage over the d-air for spiking purposes. It was recently mentioned on another topic (don't recall where or who said it, alas) that Ganon's aerial Murder Kick will override Falco's forward-B. The low startup lag on the down-B may even mean that a Falco can't see your Murder Kick and delay his forward-B on reaction, the way he can see the windup for the Thunderstomp (and I could swear that sometimes a Falco's Illusion will pass straight through my lightning boots unscathed...).

Yeah I was about to mention this, since I felt like playing around with DBS I actually got a nasty spike through the slope near the edge of Final D against a Diddy Kong last night. When I saw this I was just in shock. Hopefully I can get it to work more often.
This made me think of stages with pass-through floors, like Delfino and Halberd: has anyone tried aerial Murder Kicking people when they attempt to recover/attack through the stage itself? (And if so, has it yielded great success?) I'd bet it's easier to aerial Murder Kick someone through the floor than Thunderstorm, especially given what you (Metal_Dave) and Canswer have seen.

/RtEB

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
I'm working on the Down Special Spike now. I still die every so often but I'm getting better little by little.

I like to refer to Ganon's D-Air spike as "Das Boot". Just throwing that out there lol.

canswer

Smash Cadet
I'm working on the Down Special Spike now. I still die every so often but I'm getting better little by little.

I like to refer to Ganon's D-Air spike as "Das Boot". Just throwing that out there lol.
KEEP WORKING ON IT

trust me once it clicks, you will understand :)

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman

Know whats awesome, i live in germany and they sell DAS BOOT haha, plus drinking age is 16 muahhaa

oh adn back to ganon DBS is definitely viable i dunno i just never really get into the right position to use it, im working on it also though

LinkSceptile333

Smash Journeyman
There is a time for everything and in my opinion, his dair should be used more than his down special for spiking matters. I mean, there are certain times you can and should use it, but it's a little too risky.

canswer

Smash Cadet
Now that i've been using the DBS ALOT i almost never kill myself (and when i do i bring the other guy with me) it just takes practice, and remember never to double jump and down b off the level thats almost cetain suicide. practice full jumping, down b off the level, jump turn around and up b, it works nice.

i get killed more often these days when i'm right on the edge of the stage (with my back to the edge) and down b just as i get hit pushing me just off the stage, but i already pressed down b so i shot straight down.. pisses me off, does this happen to anyone else?

ShadowDigo

Smash Cadet
I discovered the DBS today and I can use it without falling off the stage.
Like this, this is near the edge of the stage:

******G*E
/----------\

G = Ganondorf
E = enemy
------ = stage
/\ = edges
***** = empty spaces (the boards won't let me put more than one space together)

In this position, I do a short hop down b and the opponent gets spiked while I'm still on the stage.
I'm sorry I haven't got a camera to record it.

brawler15

Smash Cadet
Can someone post a vid of this? I recently started to use Ganon and I found him to be a lot better than I thought

Kenjii

Smash Cadet
DBS works great against Snake. It's great to jump from the edge and then do a down+B on them. They get spiked backwards from me, so they definitely go off the stage.

@ShadowDigo: I've done it too. It's not too hard. The angle launched is about 40 degrees down when looking strait ahead.

canswer

Smash Cadet
Ugh, i have about ummm.. maybe 40 - 50 down b spikes saved on replays, but i have to wait on some guy to help me get then on the internet, so far ive been waiting a month... >.<

BUT it should happen eventually ...

Top Bottom