• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down+B for Recovery...?

Timeless

Smash Rookie
I'm not a well known G&W player, but some people I know see me as a good G&W player. (good enough to join a team)
G&W has been moved to one of my main characters that I use to play with, and in local turnaments.

Well, now to the main point of using Down+B as a form of recovery.
I've noticed when you use Down+B in the air, you seem to slow down. Now I only use this when I know its going to be hard to reach the ledge (higher percents) because I either become vulnerable or I cannot reach the sweatspot. (I sweatspot perfectly)

When you use the bucket, you must be falling toward the stage at a high enough velocity and full directional influince. Slightly tap down+b in order to use the bucket, you will slow down a bit. Continue to use the directional influince even when the bucket is being used, then after it is over use your double jump and finally up+b.
NOTE: I only use this at higher percents, and use the bucket about lower mid stage, enough to get the enemy thinking I'm going to die or enough that I can sweatspot.

I've noticed people always get cocky when they think they got me beat, but I always manage to sweatspot the ledge and finish them for a kill. :chuckle:

Then again, you may just ignore me but you could at least try it on your own.
Edit: There is one downfall I forgot to leave out, is dont collect a projectile while doing this or else you will die.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
Not sure about this. G&W falls pretty slow as it is, leaving lots of room for DI. I normally don't have problems getting back on the stage. I'll try it out and tell you what I think.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Lol, I could imagine link throwing a bomb at you and you die. Stupid things like that, like how DK is dead if you use an airbourne dk punch...

Nakamaru

Smash Master
Better not to use it. It will actualy hinder his recovery just slightly. It is good to use against say a samus or falco because it wont hurt you that much. Test it out in hyrule and you'll see that he will fall just a little short of his regular recovery mark.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It is useful for turning around after you get hit from behind with something like pk thunder, but otherwise, yeah it doesn't help recovery at all.

nocsha

Smash Cadet
:( i tried it it doesn't work especially if you are fighting a ness or samus pk thunder or flash in bucket or charge hit in bucket i fell down and died:(

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
No, if they're ledgehogging you don't sweetspot, actually.

I used this today vs my friend's Link and it made him miss a bomb thrown at me.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
One thing I use down B for is to fake out my opponent who's edgeguarding me. I've seen Dire do this a few times. When you down B, it sounds almost like you're up B'ing, and your opponent who's hanging on the edge might roll off or something and then you can use up B.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
One thing I use down B for is to fake out my opponent who's edgeguarding me. I've seen Dire do this a few times. When you down B, it sounds almost like you're up B'ing, and your opponent who's hanging on the edge might roll off or something and then you can use up B.
My point exactly.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
The only situation i can imagine is stalling under a ledge thats being edge guarded for example an edge hopping marth, and even then it'd probably be more likely to kill you than save you..

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
The only situation i can imagine is stalling under a ledge thats being edge guarded for example an edge hopping marth, and even then it'd probably be more likely to kill you than save you..
You're number two to say the exact same thing I did.

E_Ress

Smash Cadet
On most stages and situations, G&W is either:
1. Dead off the top
2. Dead off the side
3. Can recover from any point (assuming he still has his second jump)

So as a recovery tactic, no.

As an interesting mindgame (as people have been saying), definitely.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I still think the conclusion is that its basically useless except mind games, and therefore busted as a useful recovery. I don't think theres much more insight into this and the thread might as well get closed by a mod or something unless there are any great G+W players that could let us on to any other uses of the "Down-B Recovery"

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Why would you use it three times? o_O

Anyway, like I said before, it's basically to throw your opponent off...and if they're hanging on the ledge they might roll away because they think you up B'd. It's not gamebreaking, but it's not bad to use every once in a while.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Why would you use it three times? o_O.
You wouldn't, because it doesn't do anything other than slow you down. In fact, you shouldn't use it at all for recovery.

And for the seventh time, yes, you can do it to hope for a roll.

Recovery? No.
Mindgames? Yes.
Lock.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
It mindgames well because: G&W makes the same sound as upB with downB; G&W is hard to see on places like Final Destination.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
That's a good point and it's a good thing you touched on that, the fact that most people play a black GAW leads to him being difficult to read in some levels, and it's all responses to sounds and whatever color his moves can produce.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I went and tested this on several different levels, and since game and watch is so light, it'd only workd in amssively wide levels, and you need to remember it kills your vertical height,it's no cape, so three would most likely kill you if you got them off

Top Bottom