• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doubles tier list?

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I never said he had bad hitboxes on nair haha. Didn't know about the foot not having a hurtbox. Is it only during his nair?

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Here are some poor priority nairs.

Even Samus' nair which has good priority isn't that much different than Fox's:

Her foot hurtbox actually extends outside of the hitboxes unlike Fox's, So yes, Fox's nair does have good priority, not sure why you don't think so.

I wouldn't go as far to say that Mario's nair has bad priority. The hitboxes are correctly placed and he has above average frame data. He is also such a small character that the absence of a body hitbox doesn't affect his ability to hit/trade.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Her foot hurtbox actually extends outside of the hitboxes unlike Fox's, So yes, Fox's nair does have good priority, not sure why you don't think so.
Yeah, I guess if you compare his nair to some of the worst nairs in the game on a bunch of low tiers it's not terrible. lol I'm not sure why we're comparing nairs to other nairs in the first place. Most characters do not try to out-nair Fox. They stay on the ground and use their good hitboxes to get easy trades or outright beat Fox when he SHFFLs. As soon as you start comparing Fox's nair to the attacks that other characters frequently use vs. it, it's apparent that the priority is pretty bad. Just look at all the hitboxes Peach, Marth, Sheik, Falcon, and other top tiers have to beat a Fox nair. There's no shortage of choices, which is pretty relevant when nair is one of Fox's major tools for approaching. This is why we don't see top Fox players using a stereotypical "I'm gonna fly across the stage with my nairplane" strategy anymore. It gets beat by every relevant character in a variety of ways, so players instead abuse Fox's speed to wait for really good opportunities to nair.

Last edited:
1. How do you figure? Outside of dair, bair, and utilt, all of Falco's moves are really susceptible to trades, and outside of lasers, he has a very limited range of attack. Fsmash is probably his farthest reaching hitbox, and it's extremely slow and risky. This idea that spacies have good priority has been spread since the dawn of time, most famously with the claim that their nairs have good priority when that's not the case at all and people just don't understand how the game works. I'd trade all of Falco's aerials for most other top tiers' in a heartbeat, and his aerials aren't even his worst area of priority. If you think this is good priority, you're delusional (it's even worse than it looks because FFing increases the effect of hitbox dragging):

2. Not sure how aerial shine makes CC obsolete. I see spacies getting wrecked by CC left and right because outside of their dairs, their other moves are too weak to even link into shine. Marth can outspace CCs, Sheik can fair, Peach can FC any aerial except dair, Falcon can knee/stomp, Jiggs can bair and drift away, etc. Falco specifically also can't very well DD grab vs. CC spam because he's too slow and his grab punishes are too weak. There's a reason Fox vs. Falco and spacie dittos see a ton of CCing vs. each other.
+2 for your avatar bones.

My main qualm was the understanding of fox and falco has having low priority. I mean we are making a list of characters and their performance in teams. This means we take a look at all characters respectively and should make a scale based off of that. Fox having 3 out of 10 is just downplaying his ability. As for Falco those moves you mentioned are pretty much the only moves I believe you would be using in teams until you landed a solid hit to start your punish. In which case pretty much ll moves are viable at that point.

The main point with Fox/Falco aerials is there disjoint compared to other characters. This fox one you have is actually quite good when fox comes at an opponent either from diagonally above or diagonally below if you look at the disjoint he has. He is rather weak behind him due to the tail, but then you have Bair to cover that side of his body. Point being is that Fox/Falco probably have some of the better neutral attacks in the whole game compared to many other characters. Now, that encompasses stuff like what happens when you land a hit. Fox Nair is probably a bit more useful in most situations than Sheik's Nair since its so weak on a weak hit.

You are right these are not the best priority. Marth/Roy probably have the best priority. They just may not have the best traits in other areas to make up that priority. Again, I do not believe fox/falco have as low as you gave them was the whole start of this. Falco is a bit interesting too when you include lasers. I am not sure whether to classify them as priority, but it does an amazing job of simply stopping other characters for hitting with hit. It is just good in combination with Falco as a character. Additionally, for ground moves they have good ground priority as well due to having such high damage. Falco's Ftilt/Utilt clanks with marth's weak Fsmash. Or their jabs will clanks with a variety of tilts from characters as well. I suppose not to forget about invincible shine and invincible body parts on dsmash/usmash as well. Overall, fox/falco just have good moves to generally win or draw or trade with many other attacks in the game.

2) After thinking about it CC is probably not a good indication of what priority defines.

Last edited:

phish-it

Smash Champion
Yeah, I guess if you compare his nair to some of the worst nairs in the game on a bunch of low tiers it's not terrible. lol I'm not sure why we're comparing nairs to other nairs in the first place. Most characters do not try to out-nair Fox. They stay on the ground and use their good hitboxes to get easy trades or outright beat Fox when he SHFFLs. As soon as you start comparing Fox's nair to the attacks that other characters frequently use vs. it, it's apparent that the priority is pretty bad. Just look at all the hitboxes Peach, Marth, Sheik, Falcon, and other top tiers have to beat a Fox nair. There's no shortage of choices, which is pretty relevant when nair is one of Fox's major tools for approaching. This is why we don't see top Fox players using a stereotypical "I'm gonna fly across the stage with my nairplane" strategy anymore. It gets beat by every relevant character in a variety of ways, so players instead abuse Fox's speed to wait for really good opportunities to nair.
You said the priority on Fox's was bad, so I gave you some examples of some nairs with actual bad priority. I'm not arguing Fox has top tier priority, I'm arguing that based on a 1-10 scale in relation to all 26 characters, his priority is above average.

JKJ

Smash Ace
Fox priority is not the theme of this thread.
He has above average priority. Probably like a 6. If Marth is a 10, Fox is probably a 5 or 6.
Back to the ability to make a viable doubles tier list.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
SS Tier
Fox x Fox

S Tier
Fox x Jiggs

A Tier (no order)
Fox x Peach
Fox x Sheik
Sheik x Peach

Others aren't relevant

1MachGO

Smash Ace
SS Tier
Fox x Fox

S Tier
Fox x Jiggs

A Tier (no order)
Fox x Peach
Fox x Sheik
Sheik x Peach

Others aren't relevant
Fox + Jiggs and Fox + Sheik are definitely better than double Fox. Pikachu is also a top tier pick in doubles and is highly underrated.

SSBM_HypnoToad

THE HypnoToad?
1. Fox
2. Jigglypuff
3. Peach
4. Sheik
5. Marth
6. Captain Falcon
7. Dr. Mario
8. Ganondorf
9. Luigi
10. Mario
11. Samus
12. Young Link
13. Link
14. Pikachu
15. Yoshi
16. G&W
17. Roy
18. Sopo
19. Ice Climbers
20. DK
21. Pichu
22. MewTwo
23. Bowser
24. Kirby
25. Ness
26. Zelda

S P O N G E

Smash Cadet
1. Fox
2. Jigglypuff
3. Peach
4. Sheik
5. Marth
6. Captain Falcon
7. Dr. Mario
8. Ganondorf
9. Luigi
10. Mario
11. Samus
12. Young Link
13. Link
14. Pikachu
15. Yoshi
16. G&W
17. Roy
18. Sopo
19. Ice Climbers
20. DK
21. Pichu
22. MewTwo
23. Bowser
24. Kirby
25. Ness
26. Zelda
Sopo better than Ice Climbers? Also where Falco at.

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
1. Fox
2. Jigglypuff
3. Peach
4. Sheik
5. Marth
6. Captain Falcon
7. Dr. Mario
8. Ganondorf
9. Luigi
10. Mario
11. Samus
12. Young Link
13. Link
14. Pikachu
15. Yoshi
16. G&W
17. Roy
18. Sopo
19. Ice Climbers
20. DK
21. Pichu
22. MewTwo
23. Bowser
24. Kirby
25. Ness
26. Zelda
Yoshi isn't that good in teams... his only kill move is dsmash (hits on both sides) and I cant see many useful team combos.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
1. Fox
2. Jigglypuff
3. Peach
4. Sheik
5. Marth
6. Captain Falcon
7. Dr. Mario
8. Ganondorf
9. Luigi
10. Mario
11. Samus
12. Young Link
13. Link
14. Pikachu
15. Yoshi
16. G&W
17. Roy
18. Sopo
19. Ice Climbers
20. DK
21. Pichu
22. MewTwo
23. Bowser
24. Kirby
25. Ness
26. Zelda
Marth is way too high and Pikachu is way too low.

JKJ

Smash Ace
Yoshi Fox or Double Yoshi is amazing. I entered a tourney as double yoshi and did pretty well even though comparatively we werent that good at the time.

toiletduck

Smash Rookie
Fox and Jiggz are top tier in no particular order

then...

sheik, cf (at highest highest lvl), peach

then...

falco

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
I did not read through all of the comments but I will make an argument that Ganondorf is pretty solid in teams.

Def better than Falcon because he can throw out hit boxes, lives longer, and has a better horizontal recovery which imo is more important in teams than vertical recovery since gimps are more likely to occur. Ganon isn't a teams god but I feel like he is better than Falcon in teams.

S:
Fox
Jiggs

A:
Sheik/Peach

B:
Ganondorf/Falco
Marth
Falcon

I tied Ganondorf with Falco because Ganondorf is a better teams character because of recovery and the big hitboxes but Falco is a better character overall so I feel like that could easily come into play in teams. The B tier in my list was difficult to make.... I don't think anyone would have any arguments with the Top 4 on my list.

For people that put IC's on this list at all.... Why? Its hardly IC's, its just SOPO since the first 5 seconds Nana is gone. IC's suck on teams... imo.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Samus is waaaay underrated. I think she's one of the better teammates out there: she lives long, her projectiles are great assists (like Falco's lasers and any other projectile though, they have to be used correctly), and decent OoS options (up-b, d-smash) to escape pressure when sandwiched.

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
Samus is waaaay underrated. I think she's one of the better teammates out there: she lives long, her projectiles are great assists (like Falco's lasers and any other projectile though, they have to be used correctly), and decent OoS options (up-b, d-smash) to escape pressure when sandwiched.
I think she will just be juggled in the air a lot... Like Peach can get the ground easily but Samus will be juggled until a KO it seems like...

S P O N G E

Smash Cadet
IC's are really strong at supporting in 2v2, strong quick smashes can clean up kills really easily

not to mention wobbling
Yeah but you can't really wobble because the person who your wobbling's team mate will just break it up

Mr. Jam

Smash Apprentice
I thought about this a lot and in my opinion the very best team combo would be falco puff.

Puff could rest someone and Falco could wake them up from across the stage in no time.

S P O N G E

Smash Cadet
I thought about this a lot and in my opinion the very best team combo would be falco puff.

Puff could rest someone and Falco could wake them up from across the stage in no time.
That seems like it would work but im sure it's not that easy. Falco could be occupied elsewhere.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I think she will just be juggled in the air a lot... Like Peach can get the ground easily but Samus will be juggled until a KO it seems like...
Not necessarily. She can stall and move through the air with bomb jumps, as well as create f-air walls to help her deal when chased in the air.

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
Obviously biased here but I feel like people sleep on mid tier mains in Doubles.... Ganon walls off half the stage with aerials, Pikachu can gimp like crazy, and Doc can use pills to build damage. Samus imo is alright in teams but the missles are too much of a liability to the teammate. Doc uses pills but its not detrimental to the team.

I also believe Marth, IC's and Falcon blow in teams. Falcon can be good at high levels but that is about it. IC's do not need an explanation and Marth gets gimped by every character in doubles easily.

Top Bottom