• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doubles Partners for Pokemon Trainer

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
The Zelda boards have a thread like this, and I personally think it's a good idea. They take individual characters and discuss how well that particular character does as a doubles partner with Zelda. I think the PT boards could benefit from a thread like this. If y'all agree, who should we discuss first? If not, Retro, lock this.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
We've had this discussion before, but if you're willing to keep this updated on a weekly-ish basis (Like the Starter and Counterpick stages thread) then I don't have a problem with this.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Well, I'll try. Soooooooooo......................

I think we should try to do it in an orderly way (that's what she said). How about we start with Bowser and go alphabetically. Thoughts on Bowser and PT as doubles partners?

Well, here's mine.

I don't think they would be exceptionally good partners, but it might work.

Squirtle is a very quick character. His attacks come out very fast (jab on frame 1 if nothing else) and his movement is very good, especially in the air. Not top mention his aerial mobility. Bowser is very slow but very powerful. They could help cover each other's bases somewhat.

I think for some reason, and I have no idea why, that Ivysaur and Bowser might actually complement each other somewhere close to decently. Ivy is good at racking up damage, and Bowser is a powerful force for KO's. Maybe it could work.

Charizard and Bowser together on the field would be two of the hardest hitters in the game. Even if they get hit waaaay more than their opponents, they would only need to land a few hits to deal some major damage and KO's. Plus, they both possess great longevity, so it might also be viable.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Bestiarius is my homey, so I'll add my $0.02 where I can. I already posted this elsewhere, but I'l post it again for emphasis. My team partner is a Ganondorf main. He plays pikachu and wario every now and then, but we're known for being low tier and proud of it. (We founded my crew, now sitting on 8 members with Toby as an honorary out of state member ^_^)

This is how teaming with the Dorf goes down.

Squirtle + Dorf = squirtle juggles the opponent and Dorf kills both them AND Squirtle.

Ivy + Dorf = get gimped all the time. That being said, my most epic team combo was when I had my opponent in bullet seed, and BOOM warlock punch.

Zard + Dorf: animals die, crops wither, buildings crumble and the world is destroyed in the most apocalyptic way possible. This is the place where people come to die.

Mind you the Dorf I play with is effing amazing. Once beat one of my state's top 3 player's Samus (that's a 95-5 MU).

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Well what you guys ahve to realize is that in doubles it mainly is two 1v1s happenin at the same time, with people square dancing their opponents away and switching the 1v1 at different times during the battle. So the logic of fast and weak + slow and strong, isnt really that great in doubles.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I tried teaming with a Bowser one time...not pretty. XD Bowser gets wrecked in doubles, from what I've seen.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I've teamed with Zig before: Squirtle Charizard baterry ftw. Though I srsly want to experiment with your jiggz and wario for teams.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Ok, this is pretty disorganized, but we seem to agree that Bowser sucks as a doubles partner. How about we discuss the next one suggested? Who do y'all want to see discussed?

Toby.

Smash Master
characters that i know are good with pt in doubles:

ness
snake
wario
mk
marth
GW

PT and ness has so many tricks.

also, double pt can be decent. double squirtle is ****. plus ivysaurs grab is far enough away from its body to make it incredibly easy for the other ivy to come along and upsmash :3

Miles.

Smash Champion
seriously when i teamed with AD I felt that we could beat anyone, because we didnt have to talk we knew how each other as a pt main would move and play,,,

and our opponents where always one step behind,

pts biggest advantage in teams is your teammate protects your switches, and switching gets people to be stupid.

it is a really good bait.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Yeah, as I always say, it usually helps to know how the person plays when teaming, it overall boils down to that.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Then PT it is. What character combinations (as in the Terrible Trio) work well? What are some good strategies? What are the strengths and weaknesses of this team?

Toby.

Smash Master
Random things:

Squirtle + charizard = sliding rock smashes and flamethrowers.

Ivysaur + anyone = lots of free safe attacks from each grab.

Double squirtle is super good at splitting opponents up and double teaming a single person. One turtle in the air and one on the ground is easy to manage and wrecks **** up.

If somebody gets hit by flamethrower and your team mate is around they almost always get a free attack. Charge a smash to stop them DI'ing out of the flame. Charizard can cancel the flame, giving the other person a free grab. If its squirtle, fthrow into charizard upsmash.

zeta

Smash Journeyman
so when doing pt with my doubles partner luigi

bullet seed into anything that pushes back into bullet seed is ****

zards grab release into luigi's fire upper cut has won/brought us back to many times to count

squirtles grab release to jabs from both sides is rediculous ****

some quick thoughts right there maybe i'll do more later

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppppppppppppiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yeah, Bomber and I did well as double PT. We pretty much crushed everyone except for skilled ranked players. As far as our best lineup, it would probably have to be Charizard and Squirtle, ie the two we start with. Water Gun to Rock Smash is raaaaaaaaape. Charizard does well in doubles provided your teammate doesn't allow him to get double teamed, and Squirtle's great at applying pressure, thus making it much more difficult for the enemy to focus all their efforts on Charizard. I don't even think our Ivysaur got gimped at all. Bottom line, two PT mains know the weaknesses of their characters and are great at covering them in doubles.

I've also teamed with a Wario before in doubles, and Toby is right. Wario makes for a great partner. Like Squirtle, Wario's great at pressure, so Charizard can't get gangbanged. With timing, Wario's fthrow to Rock Smash is really, really good, and enemies don't see that coming, haha. Wario hates being grabbed, but in doubles people have a harder time grab releasing him with a partner roaming around, so Wario makes for a great doubles partner with lots of characters, really.

Although I haven't teamed with my friend's Ness in a tournament, Ness and Charizard work well, too. If Ness gets weak, just Flamethrower him. Heals him really fast.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
The only problem I see with Ivysaur is having good cover when you decide to use BS. Not saying you should spam it because your parter may not be able to provide good cover all the time but even so, it is important that you get good cover when using it.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Looking at the Ash and MOTHA EFFIN GARY vids, it looks like the did best when they were both Charizard. Is that a good pair to have out (that's what she said)? I mean, double your Rock Smashes; double your fun!

Top Bottom