• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Double Vision: an Ice Climbers video guide to desynching

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
ycz: I'm not really interested in single-player modes, so I'm afraid I don't have scores for HRC and 10MM. Probably has something to do with my addiction to the C-stick... I feel lost without it.

Tommy Tipper: I'm glad you liked the videos, because your Triforce of Power was a big inspiration to me (next time just use a different font face and color ;)).

Everyone else: thank you very much for the high praise. Saying "I'm trying the Ice Climbers because of your video" is the greatest compliment I could have received. So thank you :).

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I use Windows Movie Maker (sucks and crashes every 3-5 minutes whenever I work on something long) for capturing and editing, with some Photoshoppery to create more complicated still images than WMM will do. Hardware-wise, I use this card; it's a wonderful card, though I had to do some hunting to find updated drivers (stock drivers didn't work so well). It captures great, though, and I really recommend it.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
I recently got a TV capture card for my computer and celebrated by spending a few days making an IC training video. The result is Double Vision, a little visual guide to Ice Climber desynching. It runs about five minutes long and shows all the major forms of desynching, including rolls/dodges, dash dances, pivots, fast falls, landing ice blocks, and edge recoveries, as well as some simple applications of desynch techniques to pull off stunts like Nanapults. I intended to make a visual accompaniment to Exarch's excellent Guide to Desynching, so I focused on making examples of the thirteen desynchs Exarch describes in his thread, also keeping his terminology to make things easier to follow.

I highly recommend reading the Guide to Desynching before watching this video, particularly if you're unfamiliar with IC desynching.

I tried to put in overlaid instructions on performing a lot of the desynchs, but most are just too complicated, so I had to settle on only explaining the simple stuff. For the rest, please see Exarch's post.

Anyways, here are the videos, available on FilePlanet:

Double Vision (small) (320x240, 18mb)
Double Vision (large) (640x480, 35mb)

You can use the following links if you don't want to sign up for a (free!) FilePlanet account. The downloads won't be as fast as FilePlanet, though. If you have a choice, please use the FilePlanet links -- these alternate links are hosted by my university, which is liable to yell at me if I use too much of their bandwidth.

Double Vision (small)
Double Vision (large)

Quick disclaimer: there's no chain throwing in this video; I'm saving those techniques for a separate video. Also, I realize the few "combos" in this video could be DI'd out of, rolled through, blocked, etc etc etc. The intent was to show possible uses of these techniques, not to give positive examples of them being used in a real match. Desynching is a neat trick, but it alone will not win most of your battles. It's up to you to find creative, effective ways to mix these tricks into your Ice Climber game.

That said... please let me know what you think! :)

(Note to moderators: this is a cross-post from the IC forum. I couldn't find any forum rules saying I shouldn't do this, so if I'm being bad, please add a note to the Video Discussion rules page forbidding this type of post.)

Hey, would you be able to by chance re-upload the video again in some downloadable state? both are broken.

Top Bottom