• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Double Team - evasion clause need not apply

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Double Team got a major buff from the transition from Brawl.

Basic stuff to know:
  • First activation frame is 4 credit to @Croi for finding that.
  • You can "reverse" it depending on what direction you hold the control stick.
  • You can use it based on reaction.
  • Incredible knock back, especially at high %. (I've killed a Palutena trying to UAir me when she was at 24% and I was at around 140%)
So the thing what interests me the most about this move is how we can do this on reaction. If you are a ninja and can react and input something in 12 frames... Any attack 16 frames or more can be Double Teamed on reaction.

Just be careful to not do it where you can get punished afterwards. Spacing with Lucario is super important in this game.

So let's make a list of moves that can be Double Teamed on reaction.
  • Yoshi's/Bowser's Down B
  • Yoshi's Eggs
  • Marth's/Lucina's Shield Breaker
  • Ike FSmash
  • Lucario Aura Sphere
  • Kirby Smashes
  • Samus Charge Shot and Missiles
  • Mario/Luigi Fireball
  • Wario Bike
  • Link/Toon Link/Pit/Dark Pit Arrows
  • Zelda Din's Fire
  • Zelda Phantom Slash
  • Sheik Bouncing Fish
  • Sheik Flash Bomb
  • Greninja fully charged Water Shuriken
  • Ness PK Thunder (all variants)
I know there is a lot more, but I will probably add to this list when I get home (since I am on break). Thoughts?

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Two thumbs up to the max for this thread. Some to add for now:
  • Zelda's Dins Fire
  • Zelda's Phantom Slash
  • Sheik's Bouncing Fish
  • Sheik's Flash Bomb

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Some more moves we can punish on reaction:
  • Greninja's Shadow Sneak (the shadow on the ground is what's to be aware of, but only pay attention to him disappearing)
  • Ness' PK Fire
  • Captain Falcon's Falcon Punch
  • Captain Falcon's Raptor Boost
  • Ike's Eruption
  • Ike's Aether (coming from above if we're beside the ledge. Reversing Double Team would be best)
  • Charizard's Flare Blitz
  • Charizard's Rock Smash
  • Pikachu's ThunderJolt
  • Pikachu's Skull Bash
  • Pikachu's Thunder (airborne)

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
I would think so.

Once we get better at the game and can react better we may be able to use this tool more effectively.

Even if you use DT once and utterly fail at it your opponent knows you may try to use it again, which can lead to many mind games and may make your opponent try to limit their own options. As a player I wouldn't want to risk dying at 30% to a DT, lol.

For example we know to be weary of Marth's Counter, so many of us would discourage throwing FSmashes out.

When we are at around 50%ish and the opponent is at around 100%ish DT is one of the moves that'll kill most characters where Force Palm wouldn't.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Villager Side-B
DHD side-b

Also if you know the timing you can downb megaman's side-B

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Guys, I feel like a nub. I didn't realize until now how much further Reverse Double Team covers compared to the normal one.

Reverse covers like 1/2 of the Omega Balloon Fight stage. Regular seems to cover between a 1/4-1/3 of the stage.

If you are unfamiliar with how to do the Reverse one and to see the distance for yourself, perform Double Team with your back facing the ledge. Perform Double Team and hold your control stick towards the ledge of the stage and weeeeeeee.

(Don't hate on me for still playing the 3DS ver, I do it since it is right next to my bed when I want to squeeze some practice in when I want to sorta sleep.)

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
Guys, I feel like a nub. I didn't realize until now how much further Reverse Double Team covers compared to the normal one.

Reverse covers like 1/2 of the Omega Balloon Fight stage. Regular seems to cover between a 1/4-1/3 of the stage.

If you are unfamiliar with how to do the Reverse one and to see the distance for yourself, perform Double Team with your back facing the ledge. Perform Double Team and hold your control stick towards the ledge of the stage and weeeeeeee.

(Don't hate on me for still playing the 3DS ver, I do it since it is right next to my bed when I want to squeeze some practice in when I want to sorta sleep.)
wow, I guess I always knew that reverse was longer, but WOW, that's pretty far.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Reverse Double Team really is amazing & is superior to the regular DT slide attack. There's too many occasions where the Reversed distance connects in a way that guarantees punishing moves like Dash Attack or any other full-on committed move, that the regular DT just can't do even when turned facing away.

There should be a video comparison of the distance range between the DT & RDT. I'm thinking about making it.

Top Bottom