• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Double Jump Cancel Missile Canceling

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Sure we all know about the short hop missile canceling on stages like Pokemon Stadium, Yoshi's Story, and Green Greens. I watched a video of someone doing tricks with Samus (a lot with an action replay, such as continuous SHFFL missile-ing), and one was a double jump cancel missile cancel. he was able to missile cancel similar to on pokemon stadium, but on stages like battlefield and dreamland. it looked like he was rappidly pressing jump to use his double jump as soon as possible to get him high enough to the platform to missile cancel. is this how its done? i can barely even get it once.

AIDS

Smash Lord
i belive the video you are reffering to is phanna mint 3, and pokemon stadium all you need to do is short hop, but yes it is difficult but phanna explained he trained himself to press X and Y one after the other before he missled and drops down into a missle, so it was instint!

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i belive the video you are reffering to is phanna mint 3, and pokemon stadium all you need to do is short hop, but yes it is difficult but phanna explained he trained himself to press X and Y one after the other before he missled and drops down into a missle, so it was instint!
yea i know how to do it on stadium.... a lil too well if u see my matches lol. i wanna start seeing how many missiles i fire per match on that stage. its the battlefield and dremland that i cant missile spam as well on. il have to try that pressing x and y right after each other. it sounds like it would work pretty good.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
u dont need to double jump on dreamland fyi
Uh...I'm pretty sure you do...I would be amazed if you don't need to. Video proof?

Corigames

Smash Hero
Pfft, I can single jump Yoshi story 64 platform MC cancel.

Seriously though, jusdt jump twice and fire, drop down and fire, lather, rinse, and repeat.

3Years

Smash Lord
Uh...I'm pretty sure you do...I would be amazed if you don't need to. Video proof?
its just a full jump no short hop on dreamland but on battlefield (**** i hate that map) all u need 2 do is Double Jump PMC which is pretty difficult but practice and u can get it:chuckle:

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
A few things...

#1 - The only video I have ever made using AR debug mode (frame-by-frame) was the first time I put up the Lowrider just because I was showing it COULD be done, not that I had spent more than 3 seconds trying it at that point. The next time I played Smash, I practiced it, and put it up my latest Samus video (see last link in #2).

#2 - There are 3 videos that match your description:
  • Phanna Phun - first video I debuted the DJC PMC for levels like Battlefield, Jungle Japes, Dreamland 64, and any other platform whose height is between short hop and full jump height.
  • Phannacies - had only left-facing SHFFMC, and at the end, double homing missiles on Battlefield
  • Enter the Samus - have alternating SHFFMCs, and missile spam on all platform heights
The videos get better the more experience I had, of course. I'm not sure which one you've seen, but I'd watch the last one for sure if I were you. Again, everything in the video was played manually, you can't hear game sounds if it's frame-by-frame sped up, nor can you taunt or use the c-stick in debug mode.

As for the actual technique, it's not too hard. My preference is to position my right thumb with the thumb tip over Y and the thumb base (between knuckle and joint) over the X. I then roll my thumb from tip to base to quickly press Y -> X to jump and then quickly double jump (a technique commonly referred to as double-jump cancelling, or DJC). For a level like Battlefield, the fastest you can do this, the better. For a level like Dreamland 64, it's good to start practicing there, but once you're really good at it, you have to actually intentionally slow down how fast you DJC in order to still make the platform.

And Watty makes the same point I saw Esam make once. "You don't HAVE to do this". No, of course not, you could full jump and be hella slow.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I only look at frames when people ask me specific questions that I don't know, and the rest I either learn from answering those kinds of questions or from other reliable sources like Mew2King.

For instance, this was totally new to me, and I still haven't gotten a chance to test it since I don't have version 1.2:

---Note, Samus's roll in SSBM Version 1.2 lasts 27 frames (4-30) instaed of 20 frames, so she's had quite an upgrade in her rolls since the game's release (according to SuperDoodleMan's Gameshark research with his copy of SSBM)

AIDS

Smash Lord
but you did not study frame data before hand, cause your samus is probably the most technical ever! and you always seemed to be very educated on these things and you must done a lot of practise to peform the stuff in enter the samus, i still cant double missle sadly, with all the technical stuff i do i find it hard to double missle...

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
phanna is amazing lol i was waiting for u to reply.
those videos are so insane that theyr all without AR. sorry i underestimated u lol.
iv got the basic stadium and YS PMCs perfect, but now im working on firing a homing missile on my way up. il have to try ur method on DJM PMCs. also, i didnt know that u can full hop PMC on dreamland, and even tho its slower, its better than no PMC

Top Bottom