• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DotA 2: 6.83 patch, The International 5 on the way!

Turazrok

Smash Master
I feel as though I would be crushed :/ I'm also pretty sure some of you have yet to add me on steam.
It's just turaz guys c'mon now

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Add me too, berd111

Mid-only games are kind of silly, it's a 5v5 team game, I'd rather just get a few people together and play sometime. 1v1's are cool, but 5v5's are actually DotA. lol

Edit: This OP is a little out-dated.
My favorite Hero just got updated, Elder Titan, haven't played him in a couple years. Stoked!

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
i really really love the idea of just playing the game, no unlocks via characters. that's what makes this game look good vs LoL

my only gripe is not being able to play without sitting through a tutorial, which i wont do cuz i know how to play.

is there anyway to NOT dredge through the DOTA 2 tutorial and just play?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Old accounts dont have to. If you make a new one, they make you play the tut before you get any of the top tabs (such as TODAY, STORE, PLAY, etc) so essentially you can't do anything until you do the tut. There is probably a console work around, but my opinion is that i would waste more time searching and learning by trial and error than it would take to just do the tutorial (its not that bad.. you clear like 4-5 waves, buy 2 items and kill a razor-bot)

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
There's a way to bypass it, but it involves doing some fancy file stuff. Similar to the method of deleting old 'item-builds' that people made before the 'suggested-build' UI patch.
Dota is fun.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
i really really love the idea of just playing the game, no unlocks via characters. that's what makes this game look good vs LoL

my only gripe is not being able to play without sitting through a tutorial, which i wont do cuz i know how to play.

is there anyway to NOT dredge through the DOTA 2 tutorial and just play?

There is a way to speed it up from the console and possibly a way to ignore it entirely. Im not sure what the command is but you can just google it.
If you play with a party you can ignore it too. You'll stay on the map screen but you'll still get the ready button, so you can play games. At this point all its there for is to discourage making smurfs for the same reasons you've stated. Its an awful tutorial if you want to learn how to play dota.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Its a great tut if you know how to play dota and you just need an introduction to the controls. But yeah, it doesn't actually teach anything about how to play the game well.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I found the tutorial pretty fun, and I've been playing DotA 2 for ages. Hoping that they'll let us have map building tools and make campaigns and stuff.

Also if the stuff Cyborgmatt's been digging up, you'll get an item for completing each tutorial section.

Beat!

Smash Master
The tutorial is skippable.

Picked a random instruction from a google search, but it looks like what I did when I played at a cafe:

Go to your games library and do the following.

Right click on DOTA 2 > Properties > Set Launch Options

-console

Launch DOTA 2 and then activate console by either the ~ (Tilde) key or the \ key (Bindings seem to vary)

Enter this console command

dota_new_user 0

The tutorial doesn't take that long to play through, though. 15 minutes, tops.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
You only need to go through the first two tutorial missions to "complete" it. There is a lot more to it, and its pretty fun. Great way for someone like me to get used to dota again after such a long time with out playing it.

New players are forced to play it, while returning players are not required to play it.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Pretty excited for todays games, less excited that my fantasy team is rocked as 4/5 of my teams are in the bottom half of winners bracket.

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
I still don't understand how Alliance can be 14-0 against all of these amazing teams...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Wow, that final match. From start to finish, nothing but amazement.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
I think the fifth match was a bit lackluster, losing 2 lanes of rax for **** all was just a terrible play.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
If anyone wants to do some games let me know

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It's to make up for the random and bad rename/changed voice :c

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
I play Dota 2, but never thought to check the forums I visit most to see if there was a Dota 2 thread. There is.

Hi

Lizalfos

Smash Master
So is this the equivalent of a DOTA 2 Discussion thread, or did I just bump a thread for a super old update? If its the latter is there any active DOTA thread at all? Thanks

wezai

Smash Journeyman
I've been using PlayDota to discuss anything related to Dota lately, but a bump in this thread is always good. I can't stop playing Ability Draft to the point that I didn't even play TB or Phoenix yet. But when the hype wears out I'll be back to the good and old captain's mode or even some unraked AP/SD games.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
I'd imagine a lot of the people just use steam to discuss things, rather than think of this topic.

That said, Ability Draft is amazing. It's fantastic that I don't have to go to D2Ware for some crazy shenanigans. Phoenix is pretty fun, Terrorblade's model looks like garbage.

Also I can't edit the title of the topic anymore since the forum shift, so it's made it look a bit more silly now since it used to change with updates.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
^ That explains a lot hahah.

And about TB's model: Holy moly, that looks horrible. From small things such was walking animation, to big things such as texture quality, particle effects and speech... All of them feel like they were rushed. Or maybe I'm just feeling nostalgic about its wc3 counterpart, as it's pretty hard to top Illidan's model itself. But in the end, I feel like the his Dota 2 model is just bad, while Phoenix model itself is one of the best. :p

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Today I learned that Witch doc's healing aura + Storm Spirit's little lightning slow nuke work together in ability draft. I was on the receiving end of repeated slowing powered up right-clicks. It was grueling to say the least.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah, the toggles+Storm spirits ability is pretty nuts.

Had a fun one with Silencer the other day with AM's mana burn, Greater Bash, Curse of the Silent and Warlock golems. Was delicious.

Top Bottom