• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't give up on DLC too quickly

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Get out of here, if you think ROB didn't save video games then you're just an idiot.
And you're a brainwashed toady who's only going with what the elitests are saying simply to avoid conflict. :ohwell: Also, as I've been saying, Super Mario Bros was huge in the arcades and was ultimately what made people buy the system both in the US and Japan. Attaching an infinite amount of significance to what was essentially was a flop and didn't offer anything to Nintendo in forms of gameplay is pointless.

Also, it's funny how all this ROB praise is coming less then week after people were talking about not even buying the game because he was in it. Where were these talks when he appeared in F-Zero GX, the various Wario Ware games, and Mario Kart DS? He's suddenly in Brawl and people out of their sheer depression declare him as the equivalent of Mr. Game and Watch when he clearly isn't. Mr. Game and Watch was basically Nintendo's first mascot and was part of what was essentially Nintendo's first console and would later inspire Itoi (who created the GaW and was basically Miyamoto mentor) to go on and create the Game Boy. Can the same be said about ROB? No, it can't unless you fabricate a story of his "infinite greatness" like many people have been doing these past couple of days./rant

Like I said in another thread, give it a few months and people will once again question why he made the cut in the first place.

*add in* Also, I want to see articles explaining why ROB is so siginificant to Nintendo and gaming itself. If you give me something that was produced in the last week I swear to God I'll come to your house and beat you to death with a frozen salmon...

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
R.O.B was a gimmick that everyone said "Woah that looks cool.. but I don't think I'm going to buy it.." you know.. sorta like the PS3.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I DO question while he made it into Brawl, but I'm not particularly bothered about it.

The point is, R.O.B. wasn't popular, hardly anyone bought him, but he WAS on of the (main) reasons retailers started stocking games consoles again.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
R.O.B was a gimmick that everyone said "Woah that looks cool.. but I don't think I'm going to buy it.." you know.. sorta like the PS3.
:laugh: Nice comparison, a little on the fanboy side but it made me laugh none-the-less. But really, that's exactly the case. Also, if you want to talk about video games icons, how about Pac-man? I hate the guy's guts but it's more then obvious that he had an impact on the video game industry.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
*Taken from the article itself*

It worked. Not entirely, of course. Buyers aren't stupid, even when they're being remarkably shortsighted. The strategy of marketing the NES as a toy (along with favorable consignment terms), convinced enough retailers in the New York City area in the summer of 1985 to stock the product for a valid test market.Everyone assumed that would be the end of it. New York City was the area that had been hardest hit by the crash, it had been the dumping ground for millions of discounted Atari 2600 cartridges that were still cluttering up bargain stores and .99 cent bins. If the NES could sell here, there was a slight chance it might work elsewhere. The smart money had Nintendo of America out of business by January.

How did it work? Beautifully. The commercials touting the R.O.B and the light gun as "The Toy of The Future" didn't fool any kid under fifteen for a second. They knew what they were seeing -- this was a video game! Consumers weren't tired of video games, they were tired of bad video games. The commercials also gave kids a powerful argument to convince their gun-shy parents to purchase the product. "Oh no, Mom, it's not a video game -- it's a toy robot! See the robot? Can I have it, Mom? Please, please, please, please, please?!?"

By the end of its first year, Nintendo had sold one million NES systems. Retailers, analysts, and consumer electronics journalists remained skeptical, considering it a temporary aberration. The second year, the company dropped R.O.B., and just sold the gray box on its own. "Aha!" the smart people said, "Here's where the rubber meets the road! Video games are dead and you don't even have R.O.B. as a cover anymore." That year Nintendo of America sold three million systems. There was no longer any doubt, video games were back and Nintendo was the future.

Highlighted for emphasis. Also, I said articles and notice how even the journalists who contributed to the article believe that Nintendo could have done it without ROB.

*add in* Also, the fact that the quote in your sig comes directly from the article further proves my point.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't loading stages and screenshots from the SD card be considered save data? Additionally, for those who don't know, Guitar Hero 3 is getting DLC on Wii.

I guess you can't blame people for not reading so many pages but whatever, I'll repeat myself: Characters are only slightly bigger than N64 games. To say "characters are too big" you may as well say N64 games are too big. Nintendo also plans to release 300 block games and Wiiware, double the space a character would take up.

Also considering the "Cut data from Brawl" thread, it's possible many files may not even require downloads...
To the bolded part - EXACTLY.

People before you post, make SURE you read or at least try to just read through everything on the topic quickly before replying.

Topics where we have a bunch of posters who post things WITHOUT reading replies is a bad, spammed up topic.

The wii has basically no storage. No storage = No room for downloadable characters

No room for downloadable characters

take out "room for"

No downloadable characters

there we go.
Ok, you were one of those people who did not read the part about SSBB characters not taking up a lot of space. Make sure you read the whole topic before posting, or at least just scan through it.

Let me quote myself
BTW, according to the data that was ripped from the game, the characters only take up about 12MB - 17MB each.
Yeah 512 MB is a lot actually.

Sure, it's 100-200x less space than a PS3 or a Xbox360 has with a hard drive, but 512MB is enough for downloadable characters and updates. Not to mention they could just store it on a SD card, like others said.
[/quote]

While the Wii has 100-200x less space than a PS3 or an Xbox360, 512 MB IS STILL A LOT OF SPACE. Sure 512MB can't store tens of thousands of MP3 files, or hundreds of hours of high resolution movies or videos like a PS3's 80 GB HD can, but 512 MB is enough to hold a lot of game data and gameplay changse and characters.

Also, another post I made:

yes but Nintendo, being in the business for awhile, knows that allowing an external HDD = INSTANT HAX!!1

even at a small size, if every 3rd wii game did it, it would add up shortly and not be very managable, believe me if Nintendo did it, third parties would want to do it too.
They could make it so you have to delete the update from a game, if you want to download another update from another game. You can just redownload the patch again if you're playing a game.

For Example: Smash Bros Brawl has downloadable updates, and so does some other game. Lets call that other game "Mario 5" for reference. Ok, so if you want to play Super Smash Bros Brawl, you can download the update. But now you want to play "Mario 5", which also has downloadable updates. Simply, just delete all the update files for SSBB, then download the update for "Mario 5". If you want to play SSBB again, you'll just delete the files for "Mario 5", and redownload the updates for SSBB again.

Similar to if you had too many Virtual Console games, you just delete some, then download more. If you want to play a VC game you deleted, just redownload it.

Sure it may be a little inconvenient and annoying to delete stuff, then download it, then delete the other stuff to download something else but it works.
[/quote]

So even if all the Wii games in the world had downloadable updates/gameplay changes, it wouldn't be too much a problem because you can just delete the updates, and download them later if you're playing that game that had the downloadable updates.

Revven

FrankerZ
I just really believe that Nintendo isn't going to do it because they won't want to or don't want to, possibly can't (although doubtful). Nintendo is a very stubborn company and often times is afraid to try anything new that deals with online. But, if there's any one glimmer of hope, its that Nintendo WAS trying a way of DLC in D/P (Diamond and Pearl). They updated the game so that in the one snowy region the snow would glimmer/sparkle. It clearly was a test for DLC... so maybe Nintendo was testing it to get ready to do more of it in the future. Who knows.

All I can say is: don't get your hopes up.

MrSplitter

Smash Rookie
I think DLC is very possible and would be a great move for Nintendo especially if it downloaded on its own using WiiConnect24…

Picture this: After unlocking all the characters in the game you think to yourself, you think “Self… Now what?” Well then you go to sleep. The next morning you get up, turn on your Wii and proceed to boot up SSBB only to be greeted with a “New Challenger Approaching!” screen.
Wouldn’t that just be awesome?
After all wasn’t that one of the original WiiConnect24 ideas touted by Nintendo?

Honestly I don’t believe that we will get DLC (Trying not to get my hopes up) however I do believe that it is quite possible even with the limited memory of the system. And there is no reason the Wii could not read game data from an SD card. Just because it currently doesn’t does not mean that it can’t.

Top Bottom