• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't give up on DLC too quickly

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I also did some research and an average character download would be slightly larger than an N64 VC game. (150 - 180 blocks or so, give or take.)

Black/Light

Smash Master
The only DLC I personally REALLLY want to happen is DLC taunts. A list of 9 taunts to choose from would be great!

And IF theres DLC for characters (which I think is very possible with the Wii's hardware and online support. Likely. . .thats a whole other thing) than I think these characters are already done, balanced and are ready to fight and Sakurai would have just wanted to reveal them later with the use of DLC. Im very much sure that he and his team aint still making characters.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I think that DLC could be a reality if nintendo sees that are a lot of people that wants it. i think that at least, updates are a must, specially balance updates, marth broken.. let's make that every move do 1-2% less of damage.. or tweaks like that...

but, it would be GODLY nice if with some updates they add things like some stickers and throphies ( regulary) some custom map content (like warp pipes, question marks blocks or new backgrounds), new stages (less regulary) and a new character balance wise (let's say, like, per six months, or an annual character)

And for the people without wifi? hell i'm in chile and in some places there is wifi in the parks! doubt that they don't known noone with wifi... if he/she has a wii, just bring your smash save data and download the latest patch... if he/she doesn't have a wii.. then bring the wii and download your patch (I've heard that every wii is wi fi compatible from factory)

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
A hard drive could plug right into the back of the wii, and DLC(haracters) are not effected by being balanced anyway since some characters are a bit broken regardless coughMARTHcough
yes but Nintendo, being in the business for awhile, knows that allowing an external HDD = INSTANT HAX!!1

Why does everyone think that 1 char. would need a gb or something?
even at a small size, if every 3rd wii game did it, it would add up shortly and not be very managable, believe me if Nintendo did it, third parties would want to do it too.

The only DLC I personally REALLLY want to happen is DLC taunts. A list of 9 taunts to choose from would be great!
reasonable expectations FTW

(I've heard that every wii is wi fi compatible from factory)
yes.

.:Alex:.

Smash Cadet
DLC has so much potential. The only main problems are storage and playing against people online who have certain DL content (such as characters and stages) when you don't, or vice versa.

The problem for storage is that if extra content such as characters are stored onto an SD card, you could only use them whenever the SD card is in the console which could cause problems. So they simply make it so extra content can be saved only to the Wii console itself and the problem is kinda solved. They don't even need to release an HDD, just some sort of memory expansion would be good.

Of course, each time you connect Brawl to WFC it could check for recent updates and download necessary data. If they give extra characters and stages out for free (which I really think they should, as it would be kinda pointless to charge 30-60 Wii Points for them. They already give out extra wii channels for free so I see free DLC very likely) then it will download them, otherwise just the data required to stop the game from crashing.

Okay, they may not be the best ideas, but it can work and it definitely is possible. Now let's just hope they do it!

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Considering a 1gb SD card could hold an estimated 45 characters, I don't see what the big deal is about "more space" is. I don't expect Nintendo to release a ton of DLC characters, assuming they do any at all (which is unlikely as it is), and they also would not be free, period.

Nintendo would have to pay a team to create the characters (Sakurai would probably not be involved aside from giving an okay), and then they would make the money back from that by selling the characters in the Wii shop channel. I also expect they would be closer to 200 points each or so.

Another way they might release them is via new releases. A new game comes out, they can include a Smash Bros character on the disk that can be copied over to the Wii/SD card and used in Brawl. If Zak and Wiki included a Mega Man playable character for Brawl (since it was a Capcom game) then there is no doubt the game would become popular and sell.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
because you can't play content off of an SD card. you can store it there, but you have to put the content on the internal memory to play it. (much to my dismay with VC games and game saves)

kitsuneboy_geoff

Smash Apprentice
because you can't play content off of an SD card. you can store it there, but you have to put the content on the internal memory to play it. (much to my dismay with VC games and game saves)
Do you have proof of this? Just because the VC console games don't play off of SD cards doesn't mean that the Wii is not capable of reading data off of them on the fly.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
it's not just VC, it's everything, the first thing I did when I booted up Zelda TP was try to have another 3 saves on my SD card and be able to load saves from internal or SD but you can't. So far anything that is on the SD card even though it is in the system is storage only.

many people have speculated that Nintendo's memory solution will not be an external HDD but simply a downloadable patch that makes playing off of an SD card possible, for all we know it's just an anti-piracy thing

here is hoping that they do that, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Sakurai already stated that Brawl can play saved stages off the SD card, in the update for the stage builder. Unless it was just worded poorly...

Anyway, if it can read stages off of it and the game was set up to allow imported characters as it does stages, it should be able to read those off of it as well. Besides, if the game can't read from an SD card, a hard drive won't do any good because it wouldn't be able to read from that either (especially since the SD support is already there, but the Wii has no hard drive support at the moment so there wouldn't be a way to add compatibility in a game even if you wanted to).

knightofsouls

Smash Cadet
Imagine if they did have DLC, Sakurai would be like "Yeah, you probably hated the character roster, BUT Guess What? Not to worry, We have developed multiple character additions, and plan to release 1 new character a month..."

Imagine how fun that would make the game? knowing every month you will get a new character?

I hope Sakurai wasn't lien when he was talking about "How overboard he went with his character roster"

Yeah, I hope they do, but latest signs really aren't promising, particularly because Sakurai let me down on the roster.

Its not impossible that Nintendo may release an expansion for Brawl in the future. Possible new levels and characters uploaded by a disc.

MysticJon

Smash Cadet
i dont think anyones giving up totally on DLC, but some people seem to think that more characters will be made available as DLC and that is just very unlikely in my opinion.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
yes but Nintendo, being in the business for awhile, knows that allowing an external HDD = INSTANT HAX!!1

even at a small size, if every 3rd wii game did it, it would add up shortly and not be very managable, believe me if Nintendo did it, third parties would want to do it too.
They could make it so you have to delete the update from a game, if you want to download another update from another game. You can just redownload the patch again if you're playing a game.

For Example: Smash Bros Brawl has downloadable updates, and so does some other game. Lets call that other game "Mario 5" for reference. Ok, so if you want to play Super Smash Bros Brawl, you can download the update. But now you want to play "Mario 5", which also has downloadable updates. Simply, just delete all the update files for SSBB, then download the update for "Mario 5". If you want to play SSBB again, you'll just delete the files for "Mario 5", and redownload the updates for SSBB again.

Similar to if you had too many Virtual Console games, you just delete some, then download more. If you want to play a VC game you deleted, just redownload it.

Sure it may be a little inconvenient and annoying to delete stuff, then download it, then delete the other stuff to download something else but it works.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
DLC is very unlikely.

I mean, when has Nintendo ever been "on it" with the whole online thing.

(Virtual Console shoulda been much cheaper/FREE.)

.:Alex:.

Smash Cadet
It's incredibly interesting to note that there is quite a lot of unused character data on the disc, INCLUDING Dixie Kong, Plusle and Minun (think of them as an Ice Climbers version of Pichu), Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, Roy, Toon Sheik and Toon Zelda!!

While a lot them were probably developed and scrapped at an early stage, there is still a portion of their data there. Some of them, like Toon Zelda/Sheik seem REALLY random. Hopefully (don't hold your breath though), they might offer these as DLC (it's much easier and therefore much more possible than completely new characters that are not at all on the disc). There is also a lot of missing music and AT's that were actually seen and used in the demos!! Why were these removed from the game?

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
God, I can't stand this bull**** about "Wii games can't read off the SD card directly".

Excite Truck cries because he is forgotten.

Excite Truck could read MP3 files from the SD card to be played in-game. Sakurai himself stated that stages can be read off the SD card. The same goes for screenshots.

God ****ing ****it, everytime some idiot doesn't read a kitten dies of AIDS.

Black/Light

Smash Master
God, I can't stand this bull**** about "Wii games can't read off the SD card directly".

Excite Truck cries because he is forgotten.

Excite Truck could read MP3 files from the SD card to be played in-game. Sakurai himself stated that stages can be read off the SD card. The same goes for screenshots.

God ****ing ****it, everytime some idiot doesn't read a kitten dies of AIDS.
Yes, I do wonder why people look pass this. HardWare wise I don't see there being any problem. Really, look at WiiWare/ Wii GH3 and ETruck. . . if thats possible than I don't see why this would be any different.

And like I said, the only way I see this happening is if Sakurai already has the characters made and ready to go but just chose to make them DLC for later reveals.

And DLC taunts are all Im asking for.
I want more d*** taunts!

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
The wii has basically no storage. No storage = No room for downloadable characters

No room for downloadable characters

take out "room for"

No downloadable characters

there we go.
Congratulations, a kitten now has died of AIDS.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Thanks, you just killed another kitten with AIDS.

Protip: Try to read EVERYTHING.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Thanks, you just killed another kitten with AIDS.

Protip: Try to read EVERYTHING.
You're talking to a person that believes that ROB saved the video game industry when there's mountains of evidence showing it's was Super Mario Bros; enough said. Still, I very seriously doubt there will be downloadable content simply because Sakurai believes he "outdone himself" and "the fans just seeing their favorite characters, even if they don't move, makes them happy." We're talking about a man that takes years to realise his own mistakes let alone admit to them.

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land
You're talking to a person that believes that ROB saved the video game industry when there's mountains of evidence showing it's was Super Mario Bros;
How about you educate yourself more, I searched in alot of videogame sites which all of them confirmed this.

It isn't that i don't want downloadable content, it is just really unlikely.

Noxin

Smash Cadet
im a little dissapointed with the roster but i still like it
it would be really nice to see DLC but i wouldnt be to upset if it wasnt

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
Oh I've always been aware of loading MP3s off of Excite truck, but that doesn't really help our current situation unless we want to stream music, which would be cool, but I've yet to see more, prove me wrong smash bros, I DARE you, you game.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I don't deny that the Wii can read SD data, but I ask you this:

Why do we have to put GAME DATA on our Wii for the disc to read it?!

The SD card reads stages, screenshots, and music. But NOT Game Data. Why is this? We can't deny the possibility it would be the same as game data with bigger files like character data etc.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Yes, you ASSUME it will be Game Data, and you ASSUME it can't read Game Data. However, we don't know the exact set-up for all this to work. Wii games can't read SAVE DATA from SD cards, that's a fact, but save data != game data.

By that logic, Guitar Hero 3 songs can also be considered impossible, because the songs are in fact game data.

cynar

Smash Apprentice
you guys are really getting desperate for characters to be in the game, just get over it. The game is done, there is no DLC. Wait til the next smash

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Then why can't Game Data be read from the SD card? I just don't get it. It would probably be easy for Nintendo to fix too, and may as well work as an external HD, since some SD cards you can get are bigger than the Wii's internal memory anyway...

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Then why can't Game Data be read from the SD card? I just don't get it. It would probably be easy for Nintendo to fix too, and may as well work as an external HD, since some SD cards you can get are bigger than the Wii's internal memory anyway...
What isn't bigger than the wii's internal memory..

Also, GH3 is getting downloadable content meaning it is possible some how.. some way for it to function on the wii

If they really wanted to make DLC for brawl, they could.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
How about you educate yourself more, I searched in alot of videogame sites which all of them confirmed this.

It isn't that i don't want downloadable content, it is just really unlikely.
Right despite the fact that Stack Up and Gyromite had terrible sales, was only sold with the NES in North America for a very limited amount of time, and wasn't even an initial part of the Famicom in Japan. :psycho: If any of what you said about ROB was true, there would definately be more respect for him and he'd probably be Nintendo's current main mascot, not Mario. Look, I know you want more people to like ROB simply so the complaining about the roster will come to a close but to put him on a non-existant pedestal is as close to brainwashing as it gets.

*add in* Also, the fact that you have a high post count doesn't mean that everything you say is right because there seems to be a belief about that here for some reason...

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Right despite the fact that Stack Up and Gyromite had terrible sales, was only sold with the NES in North America for a very limited amount of time, and wasn't even an initial part of the Famicom in Japan. :psycho: If any of what you said about ROB was true, there would definately be more respect for him and he'd probably be Nintendo's current main mascot, not Mario. Look, I know you want more people to like ROB simply so the complaining about the roster will come to a close but to put him on a non-existant pedestal is as close to brainwashing as it gets.

*add in* Also, the fact that you have a high post count doesn't mean that everything you say is right because there seems to be a belief about that here for some reason...
Get out of here, if you think ROB didn't save video games then you're just an idiot.

However people who are saying that its impossible for there to be Downloadable Content are just as much idiots.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Do you know why R.O.B. saved videogames?

After the videogames crash of 1983, western retailers refused to stock games consoles. At all, because they worried it might happen again.

After Atari epic failed at everything as usual, Nintendo decided to localise the Famicom in the west, under the name "Nintendo Entertainment System", to help warm retailers and customers up to the idea, rather than calling it a "console". They also promoted R.O.B. himself as a robotic toy to go with the console.

While R.O.B. himself didn't sell well, he is one of the reasons retailers decided to stock the NES and ultimately save "modern" videogaming.

EDIT: He does have a higher post count, but that doesn't mean anything, what he said is right anyway, R.O.B. saved videogaming.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
is this still the DLC page? ok

there has been dLC on previous games yes, but aside from music, has any of it been able to run off of the SD card rather than internal memory YET? I don't think so, there have been patches, and games where you can send levels, there are always miis, etc, but it's always in internal memory

there is a difference between streaming from the SD card (only works with music) PUTTING it in the internal memory, and finally actually PLAYING data on the SD card (which to my knowledge hasn't happened yet)

I'm not saying itś impossible, I'm just saying it would have to be a first, and it is less likely because of that

we have to see how the level editor levels work, if you can play them off of the SD card that will be something but if you can only do it off the internal memory then we are screwed.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Yes, you ASSUME it will be Game Data, and you ASSUME it can't read Game Data. However, we don't know the exact set-up for all this to work. Wii games can't read SAVE DATA from SD cards, that's a fact, but save data != game data.

By that logic, Guitar Hero 3 songs can also be considered impossible, because the songs are in fact game data.
Wouldn't loading stages and screenshots from the SD card be considered save data? Additionally, for those who don't know, Guitar Hero 3 is getting DLC on Wii.

I guess you can't blame people for not reading so many pages but whatever, I'll repeat myself: Characters are only slightly bigger than N64 games. To say "characters are too big" you may as well say N64 games are too big. Nintendo also plans to release 300 block games and Wiiware, double the space a character would take up.

Also considering the "Cut data from Brawl" thread, it's possible many files may not even require downloads...

Top Bottom