• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong's dash attack is infuriating at times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agosta44

Smash Ace
Rolling into the edge and immediately charging Giant Punch ~40% of the time the momentum sends me off the edge while charging, causing me to lose a stock half the time.

Literally the most infuriating thing about this game.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
This has never occurred to me ever.

So you are saying that you use dash attack near the ledge that you end up sliding off?

Agosta44

Smash Ace
This has never occurred to me ever.

So you are saying that you use dash attack near the ledge that you end up sliding off?
Yep, it's been happening to me since the 3DS version released.

Edit: before anyone mentions "get good" or other drivel I've done well over 1500 matches with Donkey Kong between both versions.

Last edited:

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
hmm, well I want to know how to reproduce this because I feel like it could be a good ledge mind game, as far as SDing from this I guess you have to just have the mental awareness to be ready to cancel the donkey punch if you accidentally start charging.

I have SD'd by accidentally charging punch, but it is usually because I panic.

Agosta44

Smash Ace
hmm, well I want to know how to reproduce this because I feel like it could be a good ledge mind game, as far as SDing from this I guess you have to just have the mental awareness to be ready to cancel the donkey punch if you accidentally start charging.

I have SD'd by accidentally charging punch, but it is usually because I panic.
It happens a lot when I roll into the ledge to try and catch people in range of the roll, then immediately mash B to start the punch. I wind up sliding off the ledge and he falls immediately downwards. It's more of a hindrance than anything.

If I had a better setup to record I would upload when it happens.

edit: to be honest I'm amazed this has never happened to you.

Last edited:

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
Yeah, I know what you're talking about. The dash attack puts you as far on the edge as you can be without falling off, and then winding up your punch slides you off. This happened to me in teams with a Villager a couple times. My teammate would plant a tree near the edge, I'd roll as close to the edge as I could, then I'd start charging a punch and slip off the stage. It'd be cool if DK's dash attack was like DKC.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
happens all the time. thank god aerial canceling the mega punch isnt as ******** as brawl

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
I flip a **** every time I cancel my wind offstage into an airdodge. It's the worst way to lose a stock.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Yeah when you dash attack near the ledge, if you buffer a punch you slide off every time. It's just one of those annoying little things you have to keep in the back of your mind. Thankfully air dodging offstage isn't as crippling bad for your vertical recovery. If you realize that you messed up and cancel it asap you should be fine.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
light-press shield to cancel charging without airdodging, then just jump to the ledge

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Since this is still potentially an annoying issue every now and then, I thought id just share that if anyone ever rolls or slides to the edge that a small hop while still on stage, to charge, is the best prevention of this.

Luigi player

Smash Master
You should know that if you have some momentum some specials will make you fall off of edges. DKs neutralB is one of them... I'm already used to if from Brawl, so I know when I could fall down and stop charging immediately (or wait a little bit before charging to make sure I didn't fall). If you're used to this it shouldn't cause you to SD.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Yeah, ive died many a time to that.

I die more to accidental Fair though since thats such a LONG animation, if youre anywhere near the ledge when you use it by accident youre done for. Ive been gimped sub 20% because i got pushed JUUUUST over the ledge so i did a Fair when i was trying to do a Ftilt and sunk into the abyss.
Thats so irritating....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom