• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong?

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Hey, so I'm trying reeeeally hard to get into SSB64. TANK64 helped me get 64 and copy of smash since I don't have a computer to play online with, so I've been practicing every day for about an hour. I'm having trouble learning DK, though, and he's the character I'm going to main because I don't really like anyone else in the game, save for Fox, I suppose.

As I've seen, there are no DK mains, and if there are, I can't seem to find any videos of them. The only matches of DK are just good players using him.

How can I learn DK and his combos?

The reason I'm making a DK thread is because I felt the other one didn't serve helpful to my questions (it was pretty silly tbh).

Any help would be appreciated. SSB64 is my favourite smash game, and it's about time I learned how to play it correctly.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
First work on your basics. Learn DK's grab range, the movement and attack ranges of his Up-B and other attacks. Work on basic things like always Z-cancelling, Up-B out of shield, pivot grabs, etc.

There aren't many DK mains, but most good players can use DK to a competitive extent. Boom does quite well with DK. Those matches you found should serve as a good starting point

DK doesn't have a huge number of applicable combos, some of the really basic ones you can do in practice mode are:

Aerial > Grab
This one is important, especially on shields.

Grab > F-Throw > jump throw > ?? > F-Air/Up-B/Giant Punch
This one is character and percentage dependent, you'll just have to work on memorising it. You may have to fast-fall during the ?? part. Knocks opponents off the edge, characters with bad recoveries may die simply from using this. F-Air doesn't actually spike, just sends them downwards and may let you edgeguard at slightly higher percents. Giant Punch is very specific - it will always hit a Jiggs at 10-20% damage unless they mash out.

D-Air on standing opponent > U-Smash
Simple enough. Easy kills.

D-Air on opponent not on the ground > (D-Tilt) > Down-B > whatever/Giant Punch
If you catch an enemy by surprise and get to the ground in time, tap Down-B and you should get them, whereupon you can jump and U-Air or Giant Punch etc. D-Tilt can be inserted if the opponent doesn't get knocked down (super low percentages).

Tent combos
Repeated B-Throws and F-Throws. Teaches you DK's grab range. You should ocnvert basically any grab in the **** tent on Hyrule to a kill. Can be ended with a jump U-Air > U-Smash, Giant Punch or simple U-Smash.

There are more, like hop U-Air > platdrop U-Air > repeat, hmm

Just play vs good players and watch matches, it'll come to you.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i would hold up on the multiposts lest you anger the gods mods of the forum

cargo hold infinite will probably work a few times, but it's pretty easy to mess up and there is a surefire way to get out...also some hardasses will ban it in tournaments, but that's pretty rare from what i've seen

jab will knock them down before you can grab and it's a bit laggy, so they have to miss the tech and grab asap (this might not even work)

M!nt

Smash Champion
The DK infinite hold works and a lot of people don't know how to get out of it. but, its a real **** move, and a surefire way to make people annoyed.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Good attitude, but it's useless against good players. IDK how jiggs gets out of it (should prolly look that up lol) but most characters can just jab (kirby can duck it) right after the release

Basically it doesn't work, unless you're playing against noobs you're gonna have a hard time getting anything out of it.

I would really recommend playing a little online whenever possible; this isn't like melee--I've never seen anyone pick up the game offline and get up to competitive levels without online (the obvious exceptions are great players who predate online e.g. Kefit). Getting good without online would be like getting good without going to tourneys in melee; improbable even if you are lucky enough to have tank and sheer to play with.

Isai and boom know everything that the metagame does about DK. Watching their videos will do you much more good than watching a DK main's videos (the only really good North American DK main I know of is PD, and he's semi-retired AFAIK). Again, it's not melee; everyone plays everyone and watching Isai's anything is better than watching anyone else's anything ('cept possibly Jousuke's samus)

Plat-drop uairs are cool, you should learn them.

Also creating a new thread for this is meh. Just post in the old one, we'll be serious if there's stuff to be serious about.

DK gets so little love it's sad. I'd main him just to make him more appreciated if winning wasn't so much fun.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Awesome. Thanks so much Battlecow. I appreciate that post a lot. :>

Looks like Kirby's duck is just as gay as it is in Melee lol @_@

Guess I'll just go watch Isai's DK matches now. That's kind of depressing to know, tbh...

My goal is honestly to be the best DK, though. I've wanted to be good at this game since I was a little kid, so this is my chance, haha

Guess I should fix my computer up soon.

Also, is there a ssb64 controller adapter for the computer? I can't use a GCN controller. Way too funky for ssb. <_<

Edit: It looks like a lot of isai's dk matches are old. is it safe to assume the dk metagame hasn't changed a lot over the past 10 years?

ballin4life

Smash Hero
OP go here http://www.youtube.com/user/swebits98/videos

and watch videos of Morgen as DK too.

I would really recommend playing a little online whenever possible; this isn't like melee--I've never seen anyone pick up the game offline and get up to competitive levels without online (the obvious exceptions are great players who predate online e.g. Kefit). Getting good without online would be like getting good without going to tourneys in melee; improbable even if you are lucky enough to have tank and sheer to play with.
Haha either way it's gonna be great to play you man. Console onlies are often surprisingly legit (lookin' at you Drunk E Ness) so that was just me blowing hot air.
two battlecows in one!

also AFAIK kefit doesn't predate online ...

Peek~

Smash Lord
Have your back to your opponent often cause Bair is better than Fair.

Grab alot.

Jab -> Grab chase is great.

B-Up startup beats EVERYTHING, or clashes.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
isai's dk metagame from old vids is a great start. Dunno how much dk metagame has advanced cuz like ppl have said, he isn't a widely played char. I know he and boom had a few dk ditto matches from genesis that are < 1 year old.

Battlecow

Play to Win
OP go here http://www.youtube.com/user/swebits98/videos

and watch videos of Morgen as DK too.

two battlecows in one!

also AFAIK kefit doesn't predate online ...
Watching Swebits' vids to learn 64 is like watching Dark to learn how to play melee, moony. baaaaaad idea. Good combos, fun, no resemblance to how the game ought to be played.

Also console-onlies can be... OK, not better than that. None of them would be able to beat me, for instance, and I'm pretty bad.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
When you have a community of good players that are constantly playing each other it advances the metagame a lot faster and farther than a group of 2-4 friends that have no outside influence. Peru has a large community (~30 players?) of console players that got very good just by playing each other. So really its large community > small group. The main difference you usually see between the two is that the spacing of the large community is much better than the small group.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Watching Swebits' vids to learn 64 is like watching Dark to learn how to play melee, moony. baaaaaad idea. Good combos, fun, no resemblance to how the game ought to be played.
I can maybe agree for some characters, but the DK stuff is more straightforward IMO.

Also console-onlies can be... OK, not better than that. None of them would be able to beat me, for instance, and I'm pretty bad.
hehehe. curious - do you think Tank could beat you?

also i played some console-only guy once in a tournament who beat me. he basically played a maximum cheapness kirby and I had a bad day. but he was pretty good.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Dont focus to much on the combos if your planning on maining DK. Its not his biggest strength.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I can maybe agree for some characters, but the DK stuff is more straightforward IMO.

hehehe. curious - do you think Tank could beat you?

also i played some console-only guy once in a tournament who beat me. he basically played a maximum cheapness kirby and I had a bad day. but he was pretty good.
Those vids are TAS, JUST SAYING

IDK if tank could beat me. He looks and sounds mad good, but so does sheer, and I beat sheer, so... maybe? But the point's moot because he put his time in online. I remember playing him on galaxy back when he started off. I'm mostly console only these days as well; what I'm arguing for is that online is necessary to get a start and to realize what playing great players is really like/what you should do.

IDK how possible it is to get good with 2 people to practice against. If it's Tacna, and you've got 50+ people, then sure. but Tank and sheer alone? ehhhhhh.

That said, I do like the DK attitude. DK's the ****, I wish I got to play against him more.

Эикельманн [РУС]

whoa, wtf. you can beat sheer irl? daaaaaamn. guess you must be infinitely better than me right now ;_;

thanks for like my attitude ;D I really want to get super duper good at this game, so I suppose online is the only way to do that ):

who's tacna ;o

tank and i are driving up to a smashfest in georgia for 64 only, btw. a samus named "darth" is hosting, whoever that guy is, and moogle may show up. his jiggs is **** :>

Battlecow

Play to Win
Um, when I say "I can beat sheer," what I really mean is "Sheer has an incredible big gigantic glowing weakspot where dashgrab falcons are concerned and I play a meh-ish dashy grabby falcon"

Darth Rancorous is cool, I've never met him but he's definitely like one of the most committed console guys.

Never say never, you can probably get insanely high-level without online... it'll just be hard as hell. But definitely see if you can't play online somehow, I trek over to an engineering library on the campus of my town's college when I need some online practice, so, y'know... there's often a way, even if it's awkward at first.

TANK64

Smash Lord
I hate you...

But agree that he should def play online.

But disagree that console players can only be "ok" lol

SSBPete

Smash Lord
Morgen's DK is actually really good for learning DK. He uses simple combos and basic edgeguards that are efficient. I personally learned a lot from those videos.

Battlecow

Play to Win
anyway my point is I know multiple people that are pretty good from console only
In North America?

No way brah. Not unless they predate online, or unless your definition of "pretty good" is nowhere near as good as Eikelmann wants to get.

TANK64

Smash Lord
@Ballin', I've played online for literally like a week back in the day; I'm about as console only as it gets.

The most important thing I think is playing people who main all the chars. For example I don't really play Pika, so playing against a really good Pika main would be a "weakness" of mine or something I'm not as used to doing- Where as online kids play Pika/Kirby all day. Videos help, but experience is unparallelled. That's why online is such a great idea, not because the players are SO good. The average online player is better, but still sucks.

who's tacna ;o
A city of smash pros in Peru...

ballin4life

Smash Hero
In North America?

No way brah. Not unless they predate online, or unless your definition of "pretty good" is nowhere near as good as Eikelmann wants to get.
we've played on console once. would you say i'm "pretty good"? (i know it was MINIMUM POWER battlecow, but still. or i guess you could go by the time we played online haha)

i played someone this week who is basically as good as me, and I don't think he's ever played online. he's definitely watched youtube videos and stuff, but afaik no kailera. i'd say drunk-e-ness and darth rancorous are both pretty good as well. and that's not to mention the random kirby guy that beat me in a CGC tournament.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Nah man, you've played online pretty extensively.

Drunk-E's good, but not as good as Eikelmann's talking (and I maintain he'd get better with online practice real fast). Darth Ranc, IDK, I don't wanna talk **** about guys I haven't played, but I'll MM him any day of the week with half the cast, and I'm certainly nothing all that special by online standards. Like I said, legit guy, but online takes him from legit to very good.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I only asked whether I was "pretty good" for the sake of comparison to these other people I'm talking about (not because I think I am an example of a "console-only" player according to your definition).

I do agree that online makes you better, just as a function of overall practice. Like I don't get any better because I don't play against people very often, so I don't get enough practice to improve.

Эикельманн [РУС]

just as an idea of how good i want to get

i'd like to **** everyone with dk, ok. ok.

c:

IF ANYONE WANTS TO SEND ME A COMPUTER JUST FOR PLAYING SSB64 ONLINE AND A N64 CONTROLLER ADAPTER I AM COMPLETELY OKAY WITH THAT ;D

you sound like somebody i would not enjoy playing
sorry that i play to win, especially in a game where that's basically 100% required because you'll get trashed if you don't. stay free.

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^obv DK cargo hold is nowhere near wobbling, and personally I, and most peeps, don't give a **** if you use it (It's not really a game changer as far as I'm concerned).

Like I said earlier, if you play me, you get A LOT better.

You have no idea how many people I've tried to take under my wing, and, then they just quit, or are clueless. From melee, you know you can't get pro over night which is great, and you seem to be super enthused so that's awesome.

Your're crazy, and crazy about being good soo... you're gonna be.

xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Also, I told you I can give you an adapter for FREE if you get better internet/laptop BRO...

Top Bottom