• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Done fighting High Tiers

Zone

Smash Champion
Well I finally broke lol.

People convinced me to stop wasting time polishing my Zelda unless I plan on going to alot of Low tier tournaments.

As the world of Space animals around me get better, My Zelda just gets weaker. I'm done playing against Fox - Falco - Marth as Zelda. I'll still play against Captain Falcon, Shiek for Fun. But I'm seriously done playing against those three. 24/7 Marth - Fox - Jiggs, Here I come. Possibly Captain Falcon to IF I ever stop getting owned on platform stages. I still like the Zelda vs Peach. Even though my Marth is still way better. It's gotten to the point I just get 0-near deathed way more than the treat of barely winning is worth. ^^;

I'm not Quitting Zelda, just not playing certain matchups anymore. And I think I'm done practicing/trying to learn stuff with her lol.

I'm going to the High tier Side >:D Noooo.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Man, it's tempting. Gimpyfish is a inspiration in this scope. He once started a thread with an opening post like you just made, but it was all a joke. I'm pretty sure after I get enough experience proving Zelda's fail, that I will follow you. It's discouraging, and I hate it, but if you want to win, it's just not practical.

Actually at this point, I begin to think that Brawl will be out and supreme before I'll get my chance. At the same time, I'm very reluctant to let go of Melee, and I fear that the technical skill in Melee will far outdo Brawl and its successors. I keep hearing stuff from reading Gimpy's research about how everything is easier to do. DI, L-cancelling, "wavelanding", catching items, recovering (apparently most characters can will now interrupt their recovery move to grab the ledge), etc. Seriously, picture Link, Samus, or Mario doing their UpB just short of the ledge, and grabbing it instantly as they near it. I saw Link do it myself in one video. Note, however, that for everything that is more n00b friendly causes more difficulty on the other side. It will now be harder to edgehog efficiently, for example. Meh, still, I like the advanced stuff to be difficult and require training. I guess, I'm really just hoping that Zelda has a lot more potential in Brawl. She's not looking good so far though... T-T

Zone

Smash Champion
Don't get me wrong,

I enjoyed playing and learning Zelda. But now I feel like I don't got anything to learn anymore, only things to master/perfect. I have no problem playing against a space animal, just not as Zelda.

I play this game for fun, and I'm just not having fun getting pwned as badly as I am fighting Fox, Falco, Marth. (GOOD Fox - Falco - Marths) IF i know the other guy makes a fair amount of mistakes I know I can enjoy playing Zelda against their fox - falco - Marth. I guess it's much like a Newb playing SSBM vs a PRo. He gets toyed with, and may get turned away from the game. Well I'm getting toy'd with by spacies and Marth, and it's turning me away from Zelda (for those match-ups in particular).

But as Brawl nears. I agree it looks way to undeep, and all the scrubs for this game are happy it's easier. "Oh but now *everyone* can have good technical skill and now it's more about outplaying your opponents mind than speedy fingers" Oh... but Will someone be amazed watching a video of a some matches only to realize they aren't really trying as hard as they did in Melee? When I see a vid of Dashizwiz doing a down-air double shined pillars on a fox shield til it breaks I go "Wow that's crazy" If someone can do such a thing by pushing only jump Down A and Hold Down B for spammed Shines, not needing to really l-cancel(Just a fake example). I'm not gonna be as impressed.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
When I get owned by top tiers I just keep practicing. =w= Zelda is all I've got. lolz

I will never give up the fight against top tiers. :]

Zone

Smash Champion
When I get owned by top tiers I just keep practicing. =w= Zelda is all I've got. lolz

I use to be in that mind set, thinking I could get zelda good enough to really surprise people, but in the end, If I truly want to win and be recognized as a good player. I should just stick with my better characters which just happen to be high tier.

BentoBox

Smash Master
So feats performed by say notorious Bowser/M2 players *cough* aren't replicable using all low tiers? D:

Zone

Smash Champion
So feats performed by say notorious Bowser/M2 players *cough* aren't replicable using all low tiers? D:
I'm guessing your aiming your example at Gimpyfish/Taj ? I don't know if Gimpyfish plays high tiers in tournament scene. But i'm pretty sure taj plays mewtwo for fun, and plays fox for serious play(I'm sure for friendlies to).

If I didn't address your point sorry >.>; I don't really get what you're trying to say.

D

Deleted member

TO clear things up, Gimpy goes all boozer in every tourney, and places pretty well. Not sure about taj. Ok he meant that, since they do good things with low tiers, shouldnt all low tiers be able to place high if they are used by a master...or something like that :-p .

Zone

Smash Champion
Ah, You guys stop messing with my head. Making me want to start playing more spacies right now >.>;. Even after the long boring millions losses I had against them the other day as Zelda.

Just don't get hit right?

Instead of having a 60-70% powershield success when i'm standing still. and only 30-40 when i'm wavedashing around. Make it 90% for both.

Why am I even typing that. Stop filling my head with inspiration for zelda you sadistic people!

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Just play whoever you want to. I've been playing Fox for fun lately, along with all my other fun characters. My Zelda is still a lot better than any of my other characters, so that's why I play her in tournament. But don't play her because you feel like you "have" to or anything like that...

HideousBeing

Smash Ace

I feel pretty much the same. I have played Zelda so much, that I would be playing over 6 , months or so for me to become as skilled and familiar with another character only playing with that character.

I use to be in that mind set, thinking I could get zelda good enough to really surprise people, but in the end, If I truly want to win and be recognized as a good player. I should just stick with my better characters which just happen to be high tier.
Ah, now that is different. If you truly want to make a name for yourself, and be known for someone who actually wins in large-scale tournaments, high/top tier is the way to go. Being realistic, top. If you can't settle for a reputation like Gimpy's, which is possible,( but only possible if you play no one else in tournaments and don't stray from Zelda at all), follow the path of the highest tiers.

Also, you say, "...stick with my better characters..."
Does this mean that you have more success with these characters? I wouldn't say you are better with them because of that. You are best with the character you have most experience with, and are most used to handling. You may lose more matches with this character, but you are still most familiar and "best" with it.
So do you really mean these high tier are your best characters, or do you mean you win more with them?

Edit: *Child's voice* At least, you'll keep your Zelda avatar and sig?

Zone

Smash Champion
I feel pretty much the same. I have played Zelda so much, that I would be playing over 6 , months or so for me to become as skilled and familiar with another character only playing with that character.

Ah, now that is different. If you truly want to make a name for yourself, and be known for someone who actually wins in large-scale tournaments, high/top tier is the way to go. Being realistic, top. If you can't settle for a reputation like Gimpy's, which is possible,( but only possible if you play no one else in tournaments and don't stray from Zelda at all), follow the path of the highest tiers.

Also, you say, "...stick with my better characters..."
Does this mean that you have more success with these characters? I wouldn't say you are better with them because of that. You are best with the character you have most experience with, and are most used to handling. You may lose more matches with this character, but you are still most familiar and "best" with it.
So do you really mean these high tier are your best characters, or do you mean you win more with them?

Edit: *Child's voice* At least, you'll keep your Zelda avatar and sig?
Put it this way. I know how to combo with marth, I know how to space with marth, I know how to bait with marth, I just got pretty sexy at edge guarding with marth. Marth can combo shiek for big damage with one grab or a up-air or uptilt. Zelda however has to get multiple single hits, or maybe a 2-hit combo. Zelda has to bait, but she's not as fast as marth to make a return back in, so her spacing has to be hair thin, where as marth can run half way accross the map and still make it back in for a hit(Exaggerated).

I rawked today with Marth, in ways I can never rawk with Zelda. But yes, I win more with Marth. But I'm better known for my Zelda apparently.

I don't know what you mean by best lol. If I win more with Marth oppose to my Zelda it means Marth is better no? Sure I pretty much know Zelda's matchups for all the characters minus Zelda vs Zelda and Zelda vs Pichu. But I also know nearly all match ups for Marth vs other characters pretty well.

*Child's voice back* Yea yea, Because Zelda is awsome!!

Mostly my friends getting into my head. Telling me Zelda is a horrible character which I know she is, But why do I have pretty decent success with her if She's so bad? I mean sure I get more losses as her than I do as Marth.

For Example: I once Picked Zelda vs 2 of my friends and they just (sighed). One of them even complained about it being a boring fight >.>; So I picked Marth to *better* entertain them if my Zelda is so boring.

Edit:
Just play whoever you want to. I've been playing Fox for fun lately, along with all my other fun characters. My Zelda is still a lot better than any of my other characters, so that's why I play her in tournament. But don't play her because you feel like you "have" to or anything like that...
I don't play Zelda because I feel like I have to. I played her because I just enjoyed playing her as a character. I liked her play style, and I use to enjoy having to try extremely hard to win matches vs Falco, I mean I even tried to learn powershielding - I tried out things for myself (Even if it was already discovered, I did my own priority testing) Such as uptilt vs Falco's downair (Hit Trade), or Jabbing approaching dash attacks, and smash attack aerials, I mean I even tried to find ways around fox's lazer camping - with my edge stall game.

Only thing is I stopped enjoying playing space animals and Marth because I feel like i'm creating an un-fun atmosphere as well as the losing.

Kinda like I guess if I want to play against my friends falco - Fox - falcon - Peach - shiek, because of the challenge, but he keeps picking kirby vs my Marth. I'm gonna dislike playing against kirby alot. I think that's how they think playing my Zelda just from the aura they give when You hear the announcer go "ZELDA"

Darkmusician

Smash Master
If you have better characters by all means use um. =w= That's how it should be. Zelda is all I've got. I'm just a one trick pony. A very hard working one trick pony. lolz

Zone

Smash Champion
Down+B.

Tempting, I know.
lol, since my shiek IS better than my Zelda, it's just funny thinking that. It's like a drug... I try to resist it when i declare I'm playing as Zelda not shiek. lol.

And everytime I change to shiek and win. I get "Why you gotta cheat"

Top Bottom