• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin Online - Melee Netplay

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Is it possible to get something like Kaillera's lag stat put in so we can see whose lagging in our games? Also a kick function for random joiners who aren't supposed to join your game would be nice.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
People have to have the same Dolphin version as each other right? What dictates what the majority of people use?

Last edited:

AsunaIsMyWaifu

Smash Rookie
Hi, I was wondering why I can join my friend's room just fine, but he can't join mine. My other friends can join mine just fine as well, but it's just one particular friend who can't. Anyone know what's the problem and how to fix it?

Upke

Smash Journeyman
The 4.0 hosting can be kinda glitchy it seems. I've heard of this problem before, but I don't think it's been solved yet. Should be in later revisions.

Metal Gear Salad

Smash Apprentice
Am i being simple? I am from the UK so am trying to practice with a PAL version. However, the melee net play option is only there for my NTSC version.

It honestly doesn't bother me too much playing an NTSC version, but what do most UK or even european players use? I don't want a huge amount of lag from playing vs the US.

Can I literally copy and paste the cheat code on the NTSC version into a new cheat on the PAL version? Will that work? Or is there a .ini file specifically for PAL players?

Code:
0445BF28 FFFFFFFF
0445BF2C FFFFFFFF
0045C370 000000FF
0045BF12 00000001
0045BF18 00000008
0045BF14 00000004
0045BF18 00000008
041A45A0 3C000202
041A45A4 901E0000
0422D638 38000006
0416B480 60000000
0445C388 470000B0
0445C20C 39400000
0245C390 00030000
0445C0D4 01010100
0045C110 00000001
0445C230 10000000
0045C114 00000027
0445C228 80000000
0045C22C 00001111

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Am i being simple? I am from the UK so am trying to practice with a PAL version. However, the melee net play option is only there for my NTSC version.

It honestly doesn't bother me too much playing an NTSC version, but what do most UK or even european players use? I don't want a huge amount of lag from playing vs the US.
To my understanding, everyone in the world uses NTSC for netplay. Playing UK to Germany? Doesn't matter, use NTSC.

M1ke_89

Smash Rookie
Sorry, I have a question. It's neccesary that the players have the same version of Dolphin-dcnetplay, due to I have XP and the 4.0-652 version, even downloading the x86 version don't run in XP.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Sorry, I have a question. It's neccesary that the players have the same version of Dolphin-dcnetplay, due to I have XP and the 4.0-652 version, even downloading the x86 version don't run in XP.
I got a better question lol. If you're running XP can your PC even handle dolphin properly offline let alone playing with others? People do not wanna deal with any frame lag.

To answer your question though, yes matching versions saves you from desynch.

Last edited:

M1ke_89

Smash Rookie
I got a better question lol. If you're running XP can your PC even handle dolphin properly offline let alone playing with others? People do not wanna deal with any frame lag.

To answer your question though, yes matching versions saves you from desynch.
I already play Melee at 60 FPS without a single problem. I have a good PC and a decent graphic card, I use XP because I like it, not for other reason. But the Dolphin 4.0-652 appear like a Invalid Win32 application.

Last edited:

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
can anyone speak on the lag?

I can't be playing this game with noticeable lag
depends on your ISP, I've been noticing a lotta lag lately. I think certain ISP's have started throttling their customers internet a lot more now. I can get like 3 good games in with people now before the quality of our connection just goes PRRRRRRRRRT.

Now if you mean input delay, that's determined mostly by the quality of your connection with how far you are from your playing partner. First you have to deal with your adapters input delay to the USB port if you're using one, which takes getting used to, then frames of delay (buffer) are added while online to smooth out the gameplay so it doesn't lag. Try and stay within your own region if you can if you cannot tolerate high input delay like me. When you join the IRC use !mm and it will match you with players in the midwest.

It definitely takes getting used to, but if you do not have a regular playing partner it's definitely worth getting used to it.

Last edited:

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
I already play Melee at 60 FPS without a single problem. I have a good PC and a decent graphic card, I use XP because I like it, not for other reason. But the Dolphin 4.0-652 appear like a Invalid Win32 application.
That's because the Dolphin team officially dropped support for XP. If your system is good enough to run Dolphin, then XP is severely bottlenecking it. If for no other reason, ditch XP because it'll stop being patched in 2 months.

T4Varsity

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have any experience using the Mayflash GC to USB adaptor (this one) on a Mac? I've heard that their 3-in-1 magic box works with Mac, but I'd rather get this one and have the option of using two controllers.

Also, when you get Dolphin Netplay 4.0-652, is that the full emulator? I got 4.0 from dolphin-emulator.com before I got that piece for netplay, and I'm just a little confused about what they are. Right now I just have them saved as separate apps, but they seem to not be completely separate since my settings and saves transfer between them, but they bring up different saved AR codes for the same ISO. Not really an issue, I'm just curious about it.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Also, when you get Dolphin Netplay 4.0-652, is that the full emulator? I got 4.0 from dolphin-emulator.com before I got that piece for netplay, and I'm just a little confused about what they are. Right now I just have them saved as separate apps, but they seem to not be completely separate since my settings and saves transfer between them, but they bring up different saved AR codes for the same ISO. Not really an issue, I'm just curious about it.
A little before 4.0, the Dolphin team changed the configuration location to be user-wide (e.g. C:\Users\NAME\My Documents\Dolphin Emulator) so that versions could be upgraded easily without losing savegames. That being said, I don't see any reason at all to use 4.0 over the Netplay revision, especially since 4.0 was effectively pulled from having 2 severe bugs.

Oh, and dolphin-emulator.com is not the official website. That site is just stealing the Dolphin team's work for ad money, and it doesn't even package the emulator properly.

Last edited:

T4Varsity

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have any experience using the Mayflash GC to USB adaptor (this one) on a Mac? I've heard that their 3-in-1 magic box works with Mac, but I'd rather get this one and have the option of using two controllers.
In case anyone else is wondering about this, I went ahead and ordered the Mayflash GC to USB adaptor, and it works great on my Mac. I'm using OS X 10.9.1

roflJumper

Smash Cadet
Trying to get dolphin set up and I have some questions.

Which version should I use?
How much does netplay differ from the real game on a real console?`
Does anyone play this game close to north west youtube and like to try it out?

Waite

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rumpojec
Is it just me, or is the IRC really flaky at times? I'll get some matches in, and pop back to check on the list and I'll get a timeout or something to the extent. Sometimes I can't even reconnect.

I'm using Chrome and it's happened on multiple internet connections.

seventh

Smash Rookie
Is it just me, or is the IRC really flaky at times? I'll get some matches in, and pop back to check on the list and I'll get a timeout or something to the extent. Sometimes I can't even reconnect.

I'm using Chrome and it's happened on multiple internet connections.
Try using an IRC client instead of your browser.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
I'm taking suggestions for adapters atm if you guys have them. I cant take using this piece of crap raphnet anymore, 3-4 frames of extra input delay offline is too much for my patience to handle anymore, especially if I have to play in more than 3 buffer, that's already around 6-7 or even 8 frames of delay sometimes.

Links if you got em please, hopefully from people that have little to no delay with their adapters. :facepalm:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I'm taking suggestions for adapters atm if you guys have them. I cant take using this piece of crap raphnet anymore, 3-4 frames of extra input delay offline is too much for my patience to handle anymore, especially if I have to play in more than 3 buffer, that's already around 6-7 or even 8 frames of delay sometimes.

Links if you got em please, hopefully from people that have little to no delay with their adapters. :facepalm:
There is no lag with Raphnet offline... Here let me give you something EVERYBODY needs to do if you have Win7 or Vista.

1. Press the Start icon.
2. Search Services and press the gear icon.
3. Find on that list Desktop Window Manager Session Manager, right click it and disable.
4. Run your dolphin.

Now you will have 3 less frames of input delay and feels like CRT! =)

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
There is no lag with Raphnet offline... Here let me give you something EVERYBODY needs to do if you have Win7 or Vista.

1. Press the Start icon.
3. Find on that list Desktop Window Manager Session Manager, right click it and disable.
4. Run your dolphin.

I wouldn't go that far, but it's definitely playable.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace

1. Press the Start icon.
4. Run your dolphin.

While I wont doubt your suggestion works, I'm not the only one that's had issues with their adapters. The quality apparently varies sometimes. I can almost count a full second between my inputs and when it shows on my monitor, it's THAT bad.

Waite

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rumpojec

I'm getting this Mayflash one today, I'll let you know how it does.

Waite

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rumpojec
Just finished testing my Mayflash adapter out, and so far, it's pretty solid. Divinokage's suggestion helped quite a bit. In my experience, it's barely noticeable, but your mileage may vary.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
I'll consider it thank you, and I was right about my adapter. It stopped working at all, I went to warm up before seeing if I could play online at all today and it just would not recognize my controllers no matter what I did so I guess the one I got was faulty from the get go. :S...Shoulda saw it coming when nudging it would d/c my controller lol.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
I don't know how to extract the iso i downloaded or where to put it. halp.
I don't know what this forum's policy on piracy is, but just to be safe, I'm not going to offer help on that front.

Instead, given you have a Wii (or access to one), you can load a piece of homebrew called CleanRip to dump your own disc, without even modifying the Wii!

mas_torque

Smash Apprentice
okay so i got melee running and my controller set up, but now dolphin won't open up again. I click it and it seems to try loading, but then it just stops and doesn't do anything. what gives?

edit: wtf it immediately popped up when i tried clicking on it again after posting this. dolphin's a conniving *****.

Last edited:

Jazriel

Smash Ace
So I'd just like to describe my experience getting this all setup over the past few days and I'd like input if I've done anything wrong.

I'm running Win7 x64. I can play offline 60 FPS np ~99% of the time. Every now and then it sutters a few frames and then goes back to being smooth.

My friend in Ottawa wanted to play so I figured I'd get it setup.
Originally was running 4.0.2
Friend said to use 4.0-652
Switched to 4.0-652
Couldn't connect via "Connect to Netplay" under tools.
Went back to 4.0.2. Had to find the file to give the 'standard netplay options' AR code. Set it up.
We could connect now with 4.0.2, but it would desynch either after a couple of games, or after FoD was played. FoD also had weird + artifact covering the whole stage for me.
Friend found link to DC-netplay 4.0-652 at dolphin-emu.org

I haven't played with my friend yet, but I just played some games against some guy in the IRC and the games were 99.9% perfect at 60 FPS. Bit of stuttering now and then, no desynchs.

Kind of a strange path to get here but it's all working now.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
Does anyone have any ideas why my connection goes to **** when I try to stream on twitch using OBS? I have exceptional internet (160 down 50 up) so I don't think that's my issue. Is there some kind of setting that needs to be changed or port that needs to be forwarded in order for me to be able to stream?

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have any ideas why my connection goes to **** when I try to stream on twitch using OBS? I have exceptional internet (160 down 50 up) so I don't think that's my issue. Is there some kind of setting that needs to be changed or port that needs to be forwarded in order for me to be able to stream?
Erm... doesn't OBS still cause desyncs with Dolphin netplay?

As for the actual question, maybe you're hitting a connection limit on your router or something? That's highly unlikely, but it's my best guess.

Top Bottom