• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin Online - Melee Netplay

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Hello smashboards, longtime lurker here.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I'm bad at words so I can't search for $#@!

Two small issues I've had:

(1) Any time an emulation window is open/closed, all my displays go black for about a second. Other than that the game starts and closes fine.
(2) The first time I go into a game from stage select, there's a chance that the emulation window will alternate every second between a normal and a black picture. Sometimes this doesn't happen at all, and I can't figure out what is causing it to and not to happen. Ending the emulation and restarting the iso will usually fix it, otherwise I keep trying to restart it till it doesn't occur.

(1) is a small minor inconvenience since all my other windows get moved around whenever it happens.
(2) is also not game breaking, but it's a pain to whoever I'm playing with to ask for a restart right when the game would begin.

This has happened on an older revision of this thread's dolphin revision, the latest one as of this post (4.0-652), and vanilla dolphin 4.0. It can happen on both netplay or local.

I'm running a 2600k, and two AMD 6970s. A friend of mine who runs an nvidia card does not experience this, so my guess is that it's the gpu(/xfire?) I'm on? Is there some setting that I should know of to prevent this?
It sounds like you're going fullscreen and changing your screen resolution. Solution? Don't do that.

whats the best way to record your matches over Dolphin?
Isn't Emulation>Start Recording working fine now? Or has it been re-broken since I last tried it? It'll incur no performance penalty at all, and you can make a video of the match later in super hi-def.

ndustiny

Smash Rookie
It sounds like you're going fullscreen and changing your screen resolution. Solution? Don't do that.

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought fullscreen was causing it, so when I read your reply I got really excited... for nothing D:. It was already unchecked in the graphics settings. I tried checking it just to be sure but it didn't change the result. Nice idea anyways.

red stone

Smash Ace
just tried this out, it's great. the only problem is i can't play with people that are too far away. otherwise, if they are in one or two states of me, it works fine. nintendo needs to take note

Landry

Smash Ace
Can anyone tell my why Dolphin isn't running on my graphics card (Nvidia Geforce GT 630M) and instead is running on my integrated graphic chipset? When I load up dolphin it can recognize my graphics card but once I start emulating it just runs on the CPU. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Landry

Smash Ace
You have to set your dedicated graphics card as default, google gogogog
Yeah, I've actually already done that which is why I'm confused. The graphics card is set as my default and I even made sure to specifically add dolphin as a program that should be run with the graphics card. It seems like it should work fine in my settings, but once I actually start the emulation it's definitely running on the integrated graphics. Really weird.

ExciteDan

Smash Rookie
I am really new to using emulators and the like, so bear with me. Whenever I look for enable netplay in the ar-code list, it simply does not show up. How do I add it there manually or am I looking in the wrong section?

ExciteDan

Smash Rookie
OMG I totally misread what you said! Sorry about that, what do I do next?

Last edited:

Landry

Smash Ace
So does anyone have any idea why dolphin won't run with my graphics card? I'm still having this problem and I feel like I've tried almost everything...

rhfs

Smash Rookie
I've been having problems hosting and was hoping someone could help. The game will seemingly run fine but usually after 10 minutes or so Dolphin will freeze and the whole thing crashes when I try to stop emulation. This never happens when other people host for me. Any ideas?

Kong

Smash Rookie
Just saw this, and was wondering if this is perfectly playable in Europe, without lag and such?

Sharpman767

Smash Rookie
Yeah, there's a sizable European scene that you can play with without much lag like in the states, I'm sure they'd appreciate more EU players haha

Frame

Smash Cadet
Ok so which emulator would i be downloading if i cant get 4.02 can someone link me?
*edit* a tut or something because im just having loads of issues trying to do this

Last edited:

howbadisbad

Smash Apprentice
I am having a problem trying to play online with a friend, we both run the game at 100% 60 fps while offline, but as soon as we enter a netplay game with each other our framerates drop to a crawl and everything is slowed down to at least 10% speed.

What can we do to fix this?

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
I am having a problem trying to play online with a friend, we both run the game at 100% 60 fps while offline, but as soon as we enter a netplay game with each other our framerates drop to a crawl and everything is slowed down to at least 10% speed.

What can we do to fix this?
Your buffer is set too low. To a point, buffer and FPS have a proportional relationship (more buffer = more FPS).

howbadisbad

Smash Apprentice
Your buffer is set too low. To a point, buffer and FPS have a proportional relationship (more buffer = more FPS).
Increasing the buffer did not seem to increase our fps by any significant amount, although it did cause the game to become unplayable to to the massive input lag.

Frame

Smash Cadet
can anyone help me so i can get this without getting malware on my comp? -_-

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
if you're on WiFi, unplug the microwave and plug in an Ethernet cord; just like wiimotes and wavebirds, WiFi and gaming do not mix

Jonte

Smash Cadet
Sorry if this post is not in the right place, this seemed like the most logical place to post it at.

I'm a Swedish newbie melee smasher who is looking for EU peeps to play with.

I have a decent PC (i5-2500k OC + GTX580) and a stable, albeit not amazing net (24/3 U/D, can host games without problem)

You can PM me for my contact info or look at my profile. I mostly use Skype.

Radeoctua

Smash Rookie
Not so pro not so terrible Canadian player here. I just discovered this and am loving it but there doesn't seem to be much of a player base for me nearby in the Help and MM IRC in the OP. Was wondering if there's another place to hook up for matches especially one with more fellow Canadabros. Looking forward to any matches and getting stomped by pros :D

Frame

Smash Cadet
Well finally got it up and running so my last issue with this is would there be a way to make my melee run smoother on my laptop
heres my specs :/

Windows Version: Microsoft Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit

Processor: AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon(tm) HD
Graphics

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8450G

Total RAM: 7.2 GB

Zega

Smash Cadet
Hi I am trying to play one of my friend and i went ahead and disabled all my firewalls and created a static IP I also made sure port forward his address. I still can't connect to him and i have triple checked all my settings and they are 100% correct. Does anyone know why I can't play melee online? I connect to anyone nor can I host.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Well finally got it up and running so my last issue with this is would there be a way to make my melee run smoother on my laptop
heres my specs :/

Windows Version: Microsoft Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit
Processor: AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon(tm) HD
Graphics
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8450G
Total RAM: 7.2 GB
Try running on the OpenGL backend, and keep the settings low (1xIR, no AA, 1xAF) until you have everything running well.
After that, make sure you have Dual Core and Idle Skipping on, and use HLE audio.

Hi I am trying to play one of my friend and i went ahead and disabled all my firewalls and created a static IP I also made sure port forward his address. I still can't connect to him and i have triple checked all my settings and they are 100% correct. Does anyone know why I can't play melee online? I connect to anyone nor can I host.
These raise red flags. Are you sure you know what you're doing?

oats_

Smash Apprentice
Just wanted to bump this thread, I played this a few months ago when it was new and had some fun, but it was too unstable for me to dedicate much time to it.

I came back last night and its amazing now. I felt no lag at 7 buffer, and played for hours with no desyncs. I was even able to find tons of people to play with on the ec, even at 3:00 am EST.

With the new smash bot that tracks players locations, I can see this getting even better very soon. Great work JMC, this is unbelievably good now!

daftHERO

Smash Cadet
Not so pro not so terrible Canadian player here. I just discovered this and am loving it but there doesn't seem to be much of a player base for me nearby in the Help and MM IRC in the OP. Was wondering if there's another place to hook up for matches especially one with more fellow Canadabros. Looking forward to any matches and getting stomped by pros :D
I live in Ontario, if you want to play online.

M@d-F!ghter

Smash Cadet
does anyone know how to find out the version of a melee ".gcm" file ? cause i have one that i downloaded a year a go and i have no clue if it is version 1.02

rhfs

Smash Rookie
does anyone know how to find out the version of a melee ".gcm" file ? cause i have one that i downloaded a year a go and i have no clue if it is version 1.02
In Dolphin, right click on SSBM and click properties. Go to the info tab and look at revision. If it says revision 2, it's version 1.02.

Kong

Smash Rookie
Is it possible to test this out with my firends BEFORE buying the usb for the gamecube controllers, i really want to play this, but i dont want to invest like 15$ without knowing for sure if I'll be able to play it. Can I play it with like my keyboard or anyt

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey guys, I just installed 4.0-652 and also installed 3.5-2468. On 3.5-2468 when I am doing netplay it works fine with minimal lag and next to no input lag, but when I do netplay on 4.0-652 there are significant amounts of input lag. Any idea why this is the case?

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible to test this out with my firends BEFORE buying the usb for the gamecube controllers, i really want to play this, but i dont want to invest like 15$ without knowing for sure if I'll be able to play it. Can I play it with like my keyboard or anyt
Yes. You'll want to try opening Dolphin before ordering as well.

Hey guys, I just installed 4.0-652 and also installed 3.5-2468. On 3.5-2468 when I am doing netplay it works fine with minimal lag and next to no input lag, but when I do netplay on 4.0-652 there are significant amounts of input lag. Any idea why this is the case?
Hmmm... all I can think of is the recent switch to OpenGL as the default graphics backend on Windows, combined with reports of buggy drivers forcing VSync on or off. VSync can cause input lag, but I wouldn't think significant amounts.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I think going from 3.5-2468 to 4.0 was the point where we went back to one buffer equaling a frame as opposed to a half frame. So you should set it to roughly half of what you used in 3.5 for the same experience.

JMC or someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

rhfs

Smash Rookie
You can play with your keyboard or an Xbox 360 controller or whatever. I would definitely recommend doing this first to make sure that your computer can run it without any problems.

Waite

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rumpojec
Finally got everything up and running, so I'm looking forward to everyone completely destroying me. I've got a tourney in less than a month, and I'd like to be fighting fit by the time it rolls around.

Top Bottom