• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin Online - Melee Netplay

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
We do not support outdated and broken setups like that. Please read the guide in the first post of this thread. That setup will not sync perfectly, does not support audio, and does not support dualcore. If you need ore assistance please come into our IRC.

smakis

Smash Ace
open up dolphin, config then the gamecube tab, are you sure port 2 is set to standard controller instead of nothing?

dunno if it's even needed but sounds reasonable

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Newer revisions no longer use that area for setting up controllers. That's why I don't want to support those builds, as they will just add confusion to the people who are using builds specifically for netplay, and newer builds that already support the features in dolphin proper.

Zyzyoro

Smash Rookie
Anyone who has ued both the Raphnet Adapter and MayFlash adapter give the general differences please? Thanks.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
Thanks for the video on the Mayflash, Andrewajt62. I have had one for a while, but for some reason never installed the driver. With plug-n-play, inputs would be dropped, but now it's as good as console. Now I'm excited again about Dolphin and netplay.

So for those of you with a Mayflash adapter who are disappointed with the performance: INSTALL THE DRIVER

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, anyone who's played on netplay before may want to take notice. We're having our biggest Biweekly yet coming up on Saturday. It's going to be HUGE! With 35 entrants already, anyone who's setup, or wants to get setup, should join and have some fun.

Bracket: http://challonge.com/GMBVII
signup: http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/8rioDURbgr

On top of that, we are on the eve (I know, it's been a long eve!) of a new build that will make things easier for everyone playing. Thank you all for your patience on the website as well, it is being built up as we speak as well!

Sengin

Smash Ace
Thanks so much for the guide! I was able to get everything set up nice and easily. I have a couple questions though: I can run the game at 60 fps at 4x internal resolution but my window stays at 1x. Is there a way to run the game at 4x resolution but the window size be at 2x the resolution (1280x1056)? I'm also seeing a large audio delay, of what seems to be 300+ ms. I've tried the other audio options and backends, and the slow one helps but no matter what my internal resolution is the fps is hit severely every time someone hits someone. Also, is there a way to increase the fps but without speeding up the game? As in, the gamecube runs at 60 fps so one time step is ~17ms. Is there a way to decrease that so a time step is less than that, which would increase fluidity for monitors that have a refresh rate above 60 Hz? I would guess not because as far as I know GC games relied on this frame cap, but figured I'd ask. Thanks!

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Sengin: Short answer is no. Long answer is yes. You can actually force Melee to run at 120 fps! It requires modification of the emulator unfortunately, which is something that we do not recommend, and will not work well on netplay, plus it will change the fidelity of inputs very slightly.

The audio delay you feel depends on your computer unfortunately. People with hardware soundcards report less audio delay.

Shokio: We have several texas players on IRC.

Sengin

Smash Ace
The audio delay you feel depends on your computer unfortunately. People with hardware soundcards report less audio delay.
I do have a hardware sound card :(. The Sound Blaster Z. Perhaps it's just that this one has a bit more latency?

Do you know about the window size? I only saw fullscreen options under graphic settings. I'd love to be able to play it with a window size of 1280x1056. Thanks!

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Set the option in the graphics plugin's main window of "Auto Window size to IR" or whatever, and then set Internal Resolution to 2x.

Sengin

Smash Ace
Set the option in the graphics plugin's main window of "Auto Window size to IR" or whatever, and then set Internal Resolution to 2x.
Awesome. I can't get 4x, but at twice the size I'll take it. It's so pretty... The option was "Auto Adjust Window Size" so I didn't think it was what I was looking for. Thanks!

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
If you want to get your 4x IR, just turn off that option and then set it to 4x, and then you'll have 4x IR with the 2x Window size. Then again, I already opened an issue for us to just manually be able to set window size, because using tricks like this is ridiculous.

Sengin

Smash Ace
I couldn't find an option for window size - I think I must be blind. I only see full screen size (which is just a list of common desktop resolutions) and the Auto Adjust Window Size check box. If I set it to 4x IR without having the Auto Adjust box checked, I get a 2560x2112 window (which is way too big for my monitor).

Thanks for having our backs and for filing issues!

Edit: OOOOOH. I see what you're saying: Dolphin uses the last known window size as the window size if you leave that option unchecked. So to actually set the window size to 2x, you have to set IR to 2x, then check the box, run the game, exit, then uncheck the box and set it to 4x. Yeah, now I see what you mean about having to do weird things to set the window size.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
i'm ahving a good bit of trouble configuring my gc controller to my liking. i have a magic joy box 3 in 1 that i am currently using and i have these issues

1) the analog triggers are automatically detected to be around halfway up the threshold meter at the slightest touch. because of this, if i fiddle with the threshold and set it high, it will cause me to stay in shield if i release the trigger.
2) the c-stick's 45 degree angles generally read as down and up, even with a high deadzone.
3) my control stick generally sits more towards the top of the deadzone than the bottom and therefore i have to input down harder than i normally would, but if i reduce the deadzone up is too sensitive.

what can i do about this? ;w;

Raid

Smash Cadet
This is really fun to do! I actually just got the mayflash adapter and everything seems to work right except for one thing. When I'm standing on the ground the cstick will not work at all when trying to attack left, and will work occasionally when attacking right. Up and down work perfectly. The funny thing is that in the air the cstick works perfectly in all directions. anyone experienced a similar issue? I've updated the drivers and configured the controller. Thanks.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Raid: Turn up the radius on the cstick in Dolphin's GCPad options.

Also, for everyone else, we've released the Elo ranks of the North American Global Melee Bracket. We used the tournament results of all the recorded tournaments in our database to compile the rankings. These rankings will be used to assist the seeding in Lagtacs IV; which we're hoping will have prizes, and a big stream. For those of you who have participated in tournaments, see where you size up. If you're disappointed, don't worry; when the Site Ladder + Matchmaking goes up, the ratings will be reset. If you've improved, or if you haven't played much, there's definitely hope for the future.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhezMLHhDVJYdC1COFlNajZzc1BkR1BSSENoVDVJWlE#gid=0

Another big update, is that we are testing the global hosting build, and while it has some minor issues, we're hoping to launch it before the next major tournament. Royal Syrup is actually hosting a "Biweekly" on Friday, dubbed Global Melee Biweekly 7.5 hosted on Challonge, http://challonge.com/gmbw75. If you're looking to boost your Lagtacs IV seed, this may be one of your last chances!

Our site is also entering the last stages of its construction, so, please keep your eye out for that. We're hoping to rollout features consistently over the next few weeks, including online crews (for organizing crew battles), Matchmaking, Tournament Infrastructure and more! The current design of hte Global Melee site will be retired and you'll all be seeing a bigger, and better site, very soon!

Thank you all for sticking around, and we'll be back with you with updates soon once again.

kiw1

Smash Apprentice
yo guys, im pretty much the guy who gets annoyed by really little lag.. so i noticed (Geforce GTX 650 ti boost) that opengl + the something-with-v-hack gets me fod with 60fps, though when i play on other stages i feel like i got more delay than with direct3d11, any1 else noticed this issue?

if not: does anybody know how to get gecko codes running on dolphin? (there is an code by internetexplorer which allows you to get the approxmiate input-delay of your monitor, changing the settings and checking the results should clear this up)

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
I've used that code, and the amount of human error + possible input latency due to adapters/converters makes it unfortunately limited at least for a more casual player like me. I've setup and used his lag tester in dolphin as well; you can add Gecko codes via the Gecko Code menu when you right click the game and go to properties. If you have insanely good timing, it may help you understand the latency on different stages, adapters, and monitors.

If D3D11 works better on your computer, then use it. There's no reason to use OGL if both are going full speed.

Twilight Emblem

Banned via Warnings
I wasn't aware there were constant lag issues that many people were having. At this point is it safe to say most of you have figured out how to play this without lag?

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
I'd say 90% of the players here can find completely lag free games at very low latencies within their region. There are always exceptions when it comes to online play; there's always the computers that underperform what they're supposed to, or bad internet connections that refuse to give a good game.

The new test build (Which allows anyone to host, regardless of port forwarding) is in the IRC. It is 4.0-515; and is much faster than the old build. Windows XP support is dropped in order to pave the way for future enhancements and improvements to the emulator. Dropping Windows XP support was done by the Dolphin Devs and I had no say-so in it. But, on the bright side, there should be some fairly large speed improvements also opened up by the move, enabling more players to run full speed.

CorteX

Smash Cadet
So I finally got around to trying this.
Solo game vs CPU's, everything is fine, same goes for my friend.
With netplay, we seem to get a good chunk of dps drops and the audio starts popping..
Anyone know what might cause this? We both have rock solid cpu's, i5/i7 so I can't see the CPU being the bottleneck.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
So I finally got around to trying this.
Solo game vs CPU's, everything is fine, same goes for my friend.
With netplay, we seem to get a good chunk of dps drops and the audio starts popping..
Anyone know what might cause this? We both have rock solid cpu's, i5/i7 so I can't see the CPU being the bottleneck.
That sounds like an internet connection issue. Specifically, you're setting the buffer too low.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
we'll continue to make this easier, we're testing out new builds, fixes. We're also preparing for Lagtacs IV, and we are planning on prizes for the tournament. If you're interested, please sign up for it so we can make the best online Melee tournament yet!

http://challonge.com/lagtacsIV

fdfdf

Smash Rookie
Now that Project M is possible to play on netplay, let's try to make it optimal? Without desyncs and such.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
It's not so easy as just "making it work." What's being investigated is syncing up the major calls that the Wii uses to communicate with the NAND and such, so that when it's loading the bull**** that seems to desync Project M, Brawl, and a bunch of other Wii games even if the users are setup perfectly, there CANNOT be differences in the results. That's my interpretation of what's being done, at least, I'm not the most technical person around. Hell, if we get it working though, I'd love to do a Project M bracket in Lagtacs IV.

fdfdf

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I'm not a professional programmer or anything but i can definitely tell it would be an undertaking. I would love to see Project M work, however.

Sengin

Smash Ace
Hey JMC4789, when I use the 4.0 client and try to connect to a game, Dolphin crashes on me after maybe 10 seconds, 100% repro (opening the crash in visual studio leads me to believe that an object pointer was null and tried to dereference a field - tried to access memory location 0x00000000`00000020). Is this a known issue? I know at least one other in the IRC channel was seeing the same thing.

Also, I'm having a hell of a time getting people to connect to me - only one so far has been able to. I've made sure my port is forwarded and I even disabled my firewall momentarily and still no dice. Do you know of anything else I can do?

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
There are certain routers that do not like the new hosting setup. It is being worked on. The crash will be reported to Comex so it can be looked at. Thank you.

Sengin

Smash Ace
Ah, that would explain why for some people it works and others it doesn't. Thanks!

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Project M is working via the ISO injection method. We've played it on netplay with ZERO desync problems on 4.0-515 old-DC-Netplay and 3.5-2468 DC-Netplay builds. It's actually pretty fun on netplay without the wifi lag.

I don't have any official instructions; the emulator itself is being worked on to be better for Wii games in general, but right now if you head into the IRC, we can help with additional instructions. FULLSET will be used on netplay, because we have literally no need for the stripped down version.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Global Melee Biweekly is today, we're going to be running it on twitch.tv/Global_Melee around 4PM. Stream will start as soon as the bracket is set.

Other news, I updated the first post for Project M's tenative support! It works great and is a lot of fun!

KC4L

Smash Rookie
New to netplay here. I've downloaded 4.0-515-old-dc-netplay and I've set it up accordingly to the guide (my firewall is also turned off). When I try to connect to a host, the client hangs for a while, and then disconnects.

Any thoughts?

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
That happens sometimes. Try getting the host to restart and try again, or host yourself.

KC4L

Smash Rookie
That happens sometimes. Try getting the host to restart and try again, or host yourself.
I've attempted to host and connect with multiple different people. 3.5-2468 works 100% though. I'm guessing its just a problem with 4.0?

EDIT: Also, and 4.0 sometimes crashes on the connecting side when I try to host, if that means anything.

Top Bottom