• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin Online - Melee Netplay

Farfellelo

Smash Rookie
I'm running online doubles pretty well right now with Dual Core D3D9.

I use an AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series graphics card with Intel Core i7-3770K CPU in case people with similar specs are wondering if they can run it.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
I need to clarify a few things; While Dualcore is safe in most stages, Dreamland's wind and Mute City's Cars do not follow the normal rules. They use a non-frame based random that dualcore can't handle and will have desyncs. We'll work on figuring out exactly what is happening there, but since it's a relatively light stage, it's not a big deal. We'll research other rules and possible caveats with dualcore before putting it in the main post. If you do want to play on DL, you can always find an AR code to disable the wind for now.

Edit: Prototype Build fixes this issue in dualcore. All stages should be playable on dualcore on next release.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Yes, basically. We tested it before it was merged into Master. Do note, Dualcore isn't quite perfect, but, every map syncs most of the time, and it should be useable for doubles and such. I'll rewrite the main post once I understand it's behavior perfectly. I still standby that dualcore will never sync perfectly... but this is far better than I imagined possible. You can use AI, Ice Climbers, and any other character. If it desyncs, you'll likely notice at the beginning of a match.

This also fixes that blasted single-core desync, re-adds setting syncing, and halves network traffic caused by dolphin. Basically a ton of improvements in one burst.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
No, computer monitors are low latency. You won't get LCD lag on most, if not any computer monitors because it'd make using the mouse pointer near impossible. Basically, screens are between 3ms and 10ms of latency, which isn't going to be much/any worse than CRT TVs using a GC/Wii.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Please do not ask for links to ISOs, we will not and cannot legally provide them. If you have an actual copy of Melee, it will suffice. Revision 3 is an unofficial patched version that makes it easier to sync up in current builds. It is not official, and will not be used once the site launches.

If you have questions about the revisions, please join the IRC room, and I can explain who uses what and their differences.

Big Burn

Smash Lord
I've been trying to set this up tonight. I'm having mapping issues. Several. One of the main ones right now is the c stick. it's acting like it's being pushed constantly. and a lot of c stick moves dont seem to work right. I don't know what else to do other than just hit the button it corresponds to when mapping. Also, i know that u have to have a good computer to run optimally. but i've noticed some slow downs just playing the compute locally. i'm pretty sure i set everything properly that has been indicated in this thread, and i figured my computer would be beefy enough to hande 60fps or at least pretty close to it.
here are my specs

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 2560MB
SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256D (SSD)
Dell UltraSharp U2312HM Black 23" 8ms Widescreen LCD IPS Panel Monitor with LED
HT | OMEGA STRIKER Sound Card
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
is there anything i could be doing wrong, these specs should be able to handle it really well i imagine?
thanks
i'm also having the l and r issues. i just held them down right before the click and set all 4 that way. i read earlier thats what u are supposed to do, are u supposed to do that with the analogue ones as well?

ok, it seems like i have my c stick issues fixed, mainly right now my l trigger is working for everything except air dodging

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Big Burn, your computer is well over the minimum requirements, and you shouldn't be having slowdown outside of the first run of each stage (which generates shadercache.) With L and R, you set the button of L and R to the "click" on a gamecube controller. On an Xbox 360 controller, it needs to be the analog threshold, where once you hold it down so much, the emulator cheats and reads it as a click. For light shielding, set up the L and R analog properly so that you see the slider go slowly up and down as you click.

randomsaint

Smash Rookie
I know this is a long shot, but is there any word/luck with much older processors? I have an Core2Duo E6750 from like 5-6 years back which can play the game just fine offline, but it seems like netplay adds considerable strain.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Since we have dualcore working relatively well, you may be able to play some stages on a core2duo. I saw a Core2quad play the game full speed in single core... so anything is possible!

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Since we have dualcore working relatively well, you may be able to play some stages on a core2duo. I saw a Core2quad play the game full speed in single core... so anything is possible!
Well, I'm on a C2Q Q6600 (stock 2.4GHz), and most stages run ~48FPS in single core.

A C2D should be able to handle Dual Core if it's overclocked a good bit, say 33%.

Big Burn

Smash Lord
Ok, i'll try that once i get home on the l and r triggers. Ya i don't know why i've been seeing some slowdowns then. The thing up top says im pretty much at 60 fps the whole time, even when the little slow downs are happening, so i don't know what's happening

randomsaint

Smash Rookie
For some reason I can't even run SSBM at full speed by myself with 3.5-1655, but it does on 3.5-367 with identical settings. It also runs fine on some other version I had lying around (SVN 4214) although the settings menu is way different and I had a bunch of stuff that doesn't even exist in the latest version turned on. Any ideas?

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
3.5-367 is a really outdated build that lacks proper AX-HLE emulation and can't even do netplay with audio. If you can't run it full speed, it's probably because the emulator defaults to the D3D11 back-end in newer builds, plus, the newer builds more accurately emulate features of the Gamecube/Wii, so they are a bit slower. But that accuracy helps make netplay more possible, especially the audio changes.

If you're running a lower end Core2duo or older, then trying emulate Melee is going to be very, very difficult. Translating a Gamecube game into something our computers can read isn't quite as easy as running native games.

randomsaint

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the fast reply! I was really just curious why a newer build wouldn't be able to emulate it at full speed under seemingly identical settings while an older one could, and that explanation seems to make sense to me.

Sysygy

Smash Rookie
If anyone wants to play melee online on the east coast add me on steam Sysygy (picture of kenny G) i would love to play!!!!

Majin_Jew

Smash Rookie
2.2 GHz Intel Core i7-2720QM
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M (1 GB DDR5)

Hello, I'm trying to get Melee working but it's lagging quite a bit. Project M is acting the same way, with me unable to consistently run at 60fps. This shouldn't occur should it with my specs right? Does anyone know what I can do? I've tried many things such as enabling frame skipping but to no avail. I can't even play a good 1v1 match against a CPU without it lagging. Any help would be appreciated. If there's a better place to ask this sort of question, please let me know. Thanks

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
2.2 GHz Intel Core i7-2720QM
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M (1 GB DDR5)

Hello, I'm trying to get Melee working but it's lagging quite a bit. Project M is acting the same way, with me unable to consistently run at 60fps. This shouldn't occur should it with my specs right? Does anyone know what I can do? I've tried many things such as enabling frame skipping but to no avail. I can't even play a good 1v1 match against a CPU without it lagging. Any help would be appreciated. If there's a better place to ask this sort of question, please let me know. Thanks
Have you tried turning down your graphics settings?
Also keep in mind that your mobile i7 is relatively low-clocked, and starting to become outdated. Starting.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Oh, if it's skipping like that on a Radeon, it's probably your graphics card knocking into low power mode. The 6xxx and 7xxx Radeons tend to have severe problems with telling whether or not they should use high power mode with dolphin. To quell the problem, you can try turning up the IR to 2x or 3x, or change your power settings to maximum performance. If that's not it, then, I guess your laptop has some kidn of chokepoint that mine doesn't. I have a 2670 QM that runs Melee and Brawl fine with a GTX 560m.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
I use Classic Controller via bluetooth sometimes, but really mostly Gamecube controller via mayflash adapter. Most people use that or the raphnet, I've heard good things about it but it's more expensive.

Afro_Ninja

Smash Apprentice
I've been using a wired xbox 360 pad. easy to map, but it just doesn't quite feel right enough. Mayflash is on the way.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
The GC controller with a Mayflash or Raphnet just feels right, but depending on your system, it can (and probably will) introduce a frame or 2 of input lag.
Wired XBox 360 controllers feel surprisingly good, and they have no input lag. The only thing I miss is the directional guides on the control stick.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
It really depends on your setup as to if you'll get lag depending on which controller you use. I don't know if it's motherboard, USB polling rate, DWM, or what, but I just don't get the framelag on any of my controllers. If I could, then I could try to debug it...

I just wouldn't worry about it unless it afflicts you, if it does, you might wanna look into which USB ports you use, as well as how good your keyboard and other lag is. Xbox 360 controller rarely/never gets lag because Microsoft made it interact with Windows in a very specific way.

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
The GC controller with a Mayflash or Raphnet just feels right, but depending on your system, it can (and probably will) introduce a frame or 2 of input lag.
Wired XBox 360 controllers feel surprisingly good, and they have no input lag. The only thing I miss is the directional guides on the control stick.

Doesn't brawl have 1~2 frames of input lag by default? cos I could probably live with that.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
so what problems do Windows Aero induce?

Be specific please, i need to know what im getting myself into using windows 8.
The DWM in Vista and later introduce input lag (1-3 frames) with all controllers, as long as the controllers use the default system driver.
The XBox 360 controller has its own driver, hence the non-issue.

In Vista and 7, you can disable DWM by turning Aero off, but in Windows 8, DWM is always on and cannot be turned off.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Lagtacs II is finished. The tournament did have a few problems, from no-shows to connection issues and one particularly annoying issue (namely, that rule that you can't stream/record dualcore well) but eventually finished last last night.

Congratulations to all of the top 8, and thanks for all that watched despite the desync issues. We will continue to try to find ways to stream tournaments despite the obvious limitations. I will be uploading some highlights to the globalmelee youtube, including my favorite moments!

I will be researching the desyncs on our global_melee twitch channel due to the fact that streaming seems to be the end-all cause of desyncs. So feel free to drop in, and listen to me cuss out the inanimate objects around me!

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know where I can buy the Mayflash GC USB Adapter? I don't see the option to buy them on their site, I live in Europe

Big Burn

Smash Lord
Big Burn, your computer is well over the minimum requirements, and you shouldn't be having slowdown outside of the first run of each stage (which generates shadercache.) With L and R, you set the button of L and R to the "click" on a gamecube controller. On an Xbox 360 controller, it needs to be the analog threshold, where once you hold it down so much, the emulator cheats and reads it as a click. For light shielding, set up the L and R analog properly so that you see the slider go slowly up and down as you click.

Ya It says up top that i almost always have 60 fps, but i notice slowdowns frequently still. is there any reason u can think of it would be doing that? i think i have all the extra settings in dolphin turned on mentioned in this thread. don't really know what's going on. it's not unbearable or anything, just annoying knowing this setup should be able to handle it flawlessly and i dont know whats wrong

Top Bottom