• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dojo, Raze or Raise?

jigglover

Smash Lord
Simple topic here, and I'm guessing for a unanimous, but, should there be a dojo for smash 4 relaying different information about the next game months before it comes out happen? I'll put your name in either Yes or No providing on which way you vote, Yes is you want a SSB4 dojo and No is you dont.
YES!
Mypantisgone
Opossum
Super Smash Bros. Fan
lechteron
n3on
deuxhero
---
SmashChu
Ove

NO!
Jigglover
MelMoe
GreenKirby
Kink-Link5

Yes 9
No 4

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The Dojo needs to be handled better than the way it was for Brawl. The Brawl Dojo was great, but things need to be done differently. For starters, I'd like to see brief video trailers of characters as they're revealed. I really liked this for MvC3 as it was a good way to build up hype without it letting it be prone to exploding in the fan's faces. It also lets us see what the characters are like as screenshots can only say so much.

Video tutorials is a must this time around. Despite being praised as an easier fighter, Smash is surprisingly unintuitive when you think about it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think another dojo would be great. But like Kuma said, some things could be done to improve it.

I believe it was someone who said that each week or so, have a major, mediocre, and minor piece of news. That way there is less whining over a slow news week such as "You Must Recover!"

But yes, I want another dojo.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
The Dojo needs to be handled better than the way it was for Brawl. The Brawl Dojo was great, but things need to be done differently. For starters, I'd like to see brief video trailers of characters as they're revealed. I really liked this for MvC3 as it was a good way to build up hype without it letting it be prone to exploding in the fan's faces. It also lets us see what the characters are like as screenshots can only say so much.

Video tutorials is a must this time around. Despite being praised as an easier fighter, Smash is surprisingly unintuitive when you think about it.
This. Plus they should reveal one of the universes home stages. shoot they could reveal another home stage hinting of another character reveal. Oh they need to have their own theme music too.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just curious, but why are you against the return of a dojo, jigglover?

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
The new dojo is gonna happen anyway. I'm gonna try to avoid it the best I can; especially the characters.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

I'm all for the new DOJO!!

Must admit, another "You Must Recover"-like week would be hilarious.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I`d say a new DOJO is pretty much guaranteed, considering how much hype it managed to add to Brawl. I agree with Kuma's suggestions too, I remember seeing the character videos for Snake and Sonic and wishing every character had one.

I also wouldn't mind less regular updates, as long as they were good when we got them. I'd be fine if we only got an update weekly or something, but it always revealed a character or stage, or a couple ATs or something.

So Yes to the Dojo.

deuxhero

Smash Journeyman
Yes, just make it weekly with more substantial (read: no YOU MUST RECOVER) updates.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Just curious, but why are you against the return of a dojo, jigglover?
I like the surprise of a new game. When I get a game, I want to wonder what will be in it rather than reading it on the internet. Pre-brawl I was just browsing for any more speculation on Brawl, I ran into the dojo and it was massive spoilers, I didn't know what it was then either... If it happens, I'm just not going to go on it this time though.

Melmoe, is that a vote for no, you don't seem very enthusiastic, I'll put it as a no for now and you can tell me if I'm wrong.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
Melmoe, is that a vote for no, you don't seem very enthusiastic, I'll put it as a no for now and you can tell me if I'm wrong.
I guess u can put me down as a no. I don't like the idea of the dojo spoiling everything like it did for Brawl.

I don't mind being spoiled on gameplay or small elements. But I don't like knowing the full roster & stages. They should set it up so that all starter characters & stages are revealed, but unlockables aren't.

Did the dojo reveal all the characters early or was that just the internet?

I already know the hype is gonna be too much for me & I'll have to take a peek.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
A new DOJO would be 150-200% more awesome than the Brawl one, since there's so much more content to reveal with a larger roster and two systems worth of material. Two thumbs way up.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Did the dojo reveal all the characters early or was that just the internet?
The Dojo revealed the hidden characters some days/weeks after the Japanese release but before the NA/Europe/Australia release date. All the hidden characters had been leaked about the day after Japanese release though, if not before. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

The final roster was revealed on January 30th, 2008 when Wolf was revealed (the rest of the unlockables were revealed on January 29th, 2008). I will always remember that day (this was before I became part of the speculation community).

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Melee dojo please. Semi-regular monthly to bi-weekly updates in a blog format.

The Dojo revealed the hidden characters some days/weeks after the Japanese release but before the NA/Europe/Australia release date. All the hidden characters had been leaked about the day after Japanese release though, if not before. :laugh:
Brawl roster was leaked about 2-3 weeks prior to the release of the game. The only problem was that there were a million other "leaked" rosters at the same time, so no one could believe any single one of them.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Yeah another Dojo would be cool, but don't wait until a month before the game's release to start revealing things, gradually release info over the time

deuxhero

Smash Journeyman
I think it leaked Jigglypuff and Ness by accidentally showing them on who can use a sticker.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Brawl roster was leaked about 2-3 weeks prior to the release of the game. The only problem was that there were a million other "leaked" rosters at the same time, so no one could believe any single one of them.
Yeah it seems I forgot the exact timing of Brawl's roster being leaked. :ohwell:
I remember Brawl's roster being one of many I read, but like you said, there were so many, I didn't think this one was anything special. I do remember stuff such as the Dragoon Prophet or whatever he was called (forget his real name). I remember there was a popular fake roster than had 42 characters with ones such as Ridley, Krystal, Isaac, and Megaman that many people were clinging to. Personally I thought due to the inclusion of ROB and Wolf over Krystal, as well as the lack of Mewtwo, the real roster wasn't legit until screenshots started leaking. :embarrass:

I think it leaked Jigglypuff and Ness by accidentally showing them on who can use a sticker.
In the video partly showcasing stickers Lucario, Jigglypuff, and Ness were leaked, you're right. Due to the amount of rumors going on at that time (several per day IIRC), I didn't even believe it right away. :laugh:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Another dojo would be great, I think that Sakurai put more effort than was needed with the Brawl dojo, but who am I to question him when he cares about the fanbase that much.

Definitely would like to see some more trailers and gameplay videos ala Snake and Sonic this time around though.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Some people had it figured out. There were credible leakers at the time, but none of them had the whole roster. Of the few I remember, there was one who revealed Sonic's date on the Dojo and mentioned Olimar with the Pikmin rope attack, Ness Game and Watch and I believe Toon Link. No one believed him. Another mention the Dragoon among other things. Serebii said a thing or two but nothing substantial. Eventually, some people put it aall together and had the leak roster which turned out to be true. It was not a single person, but some smart people but it together. It was all done before the Japan launch.

It will likely happen again, but never all at once.

Also, DOJO was awesome. Needs to return with daily updates.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
The Dojo was the best part with Brawl. It felt like Christmas every day ^^

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
No

People became spoiled due to the fact that it didn't release every character on its first week

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
People became spoiled because it felt like they already played the game when they got it. If there's nothing to look forward to, the game will feel disappointing since none of it will feel fresh.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
The number of newcomers available from the start was hilarious in Brawl. Unlocking starter characters from Melee was the dumbest thing.

Well other than tripping, hitstun canceling, harder teching, infinite chaingrabs, jab locks, recovery lag ledge glitch, PKT bouncing off the right side edge but not the left one, numerous balancing problems, 1-demensional defensive game, lesser control over character movement, uncountable DI problems, a static TopN bone, poorly placed/sized hitboxes, and overall everything about the gameplay.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
RAZE, I want more surprises

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I think it would be cool if the new Dojo only confirmed new starter characters and returning vets and left the other secret characters hidden. Or maybe they drop hints about unlockeables.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
I would love another dojo.. I remember back in 5th grade searching up Super Smash Bros Brawl and discovering it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
^^^^
They should also try to make it more popular,too.
The DOJO was already very popular. IIRC it got about 5 million hits a week, with it's highest traffic being around 7 million a week.

Pretty much everybody who was following Brawl to an extent knew about the DOJO, and I'm guessing it'll be very similar this time, considering how much of a "success" it was.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I wonder if those were individual hits.

Who else remembers hitting refresh every few minutes at like 2 in the morning each night.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well on Sakurai's last update he posted that the highest weekly traffic to his site was around 7,150,000 users per week, so I guess the actual number of hits (if those people checked all five days) would be closer to 35 mil. And I can only assume it would be the same thing for the 5 mil, but I don't have that source in front of me. Wow.

I remember the few times I checked the next day a character was always (or almost always announced). Eventually I got in the habit of purposely not checking the DOJO when it first updated in hopes that my superstition would come true and I would get a character the next day. After ~2 months I finally got Olimar, but it hadn't have been worth it. :laugh:

This time I won't have enough willpower to do that though. :awesome::grin:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
And then 3 hours later we get Knuckle Joe'd.
YOU JERK. I DIDN'T WANT TO REMEMBER THAT. NOW I HAVE A REASON TO HATE ALL THOSE KNUCKLE JOE SUPPORTERS ASIDE FROM THEM JUST BEING DUMB.

I remember there was this really crappy week where we got... Meta Knight's Special Moves, which we already knew except Sakurai decided to change the name of one of them. I believe the Smoke Ball was that week too. And... Spectator Mode? Don't remember now. I could look but that would ruin the moment.

One thing that was really cool was the first Subspace Emissary update. For whatever reason some believed we'd get something amazing for Sakurai's birthday, aaand we did. People were also pissed that we got Sonic's Final Smash, which I think we knew already, for Christmas morning.

MEMORIES ARE LIFE.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I just remember the Dedede to Olimar character drought filled with useless updates that really pissed everyone off. :laugh::urg:

Other than that I was fine with more unimportant updates because they were also accompanied by the occasional character or stage or something.

edit: And yeah, when the SSE was first announced, it looked really fun and I was super excited. Plus the few cutscenes and trailers that they showed made it seem like it would be more of a Nintendo-themed adventure than the generic one we got. Of course, people over-analyzed the crap outta those clouds. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom