• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does the Character Roster Decide Your Purchase?

Does the Character Roster Make or Break the Game for you?

• Total voters

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Let me explain:

Lots of people say "If ____ is in, I won't buy the game. If ____ is not in, I won't buy the game. If ____ is cut, I don't buy the game.

So yeah, are you in this category of people who will not buy Smash 4 if a certain character is included/excluded?

I myself, would still buy it. I'm sour about Toon Link and to a lesser extent Miis (I will also be upset if Mewtwo doesn't strike back), but I will still buy Smash 4 regardless (Smash Run, trophy collecting, custom movesets).

D

Deleted member

I'm going to have to say yes on this one. For me to care about a Smash game, at least one character I support must have been added into this game as a newcomer. Luckily, I already got my most wanted character (Mega Man), so that requirement was already fulfilled.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Definitely. That's why I picked up the series, because of the awesome roster. The gameplay was always spectacular enough anyway, but having a weak roster wouldn't do it for me. And the current set of new characters isn't really inspiring me to pick it up. Mii Fighters, MegaMan, and Little Mac are so far the only newcomers I like, and splitting up the Transformation characters doesn't help either. But we'll see if the roster gets better to me, though.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Definitely a no on my part. I don't even care about the roster as long as the characters are fun to play. Gameplay is what makes or break the game for me, and so far no Smash game has given me gameplay that breaks the game.

mikanbouya

Smash Apprentice
if ness isnt in the game it would be hard to be all that happy with it, but I'm getting it anyway

Hong

The Strongest
Nah.

Sure I think Link is a swell guy, but far from the brightest star in my sky. Samus as well is dead to me as a character. Yet, I have been using them in SSB64 and SSBM respectively for over a decade now. Inversely, Marth is my baby and I love the Mother series, but aside from Ness in the early days of SSB64, neither the Fire Emblem or Mother series has offered worthwhile play experiences in Smash Bros. If I want to enjoy those characters, I'll play their respective games. All I care about when it comes to playable characters is function. For all I could care, this could be Dragon King: The Fighting Game. As long as everyone functions as they do, I'd be playing it.

Within a month the majority of the people still playing, especially those who are very enthusiastic about it and play regularly, will gravitate to the character they enjoy most, whether it's because play style or they think the character is the strongest and want to win. I have a hard time believing the majority of people who have not seen the full roster, and have not even played the demo, will know who they will really be maining a year from now if they play the game often enough. At least I can say the Villager was a lot of fun and suits how I want to play the game, where as I really doubt they will ever allow Samus to play as she did in Melee again.

That said, the fact it contains the characters I have cherished for over 20 years is always nice. I love the stages, the music, the trophies and other fan service. Elincia is my favourite Fire Emblem character, and to me having her as a trophy means just as much having her as a playable character. For me, it's not the characters I like I want to see, so much as I want characters that reflect Nintendo's rich history and product diversity. The games have such a broad and rich legacy, and consequently I am not too keen on new characters becoming new fighters.

Edit - I also want to add that for a lot of people, they love a character only after they have grown to love them in Smash Bros. Marth and Roy in a way are the saviours of the Fire Emblem franchise. While not the same, in my case, I only liked Rosalina after Mario Kart.

Last edited:

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
Won't buy when Fox is not in but hey, it ain't happening, right? I would also be kind of sad when Lucario's not in but it did.

They're all I need so of course, insta buy for me.

Could care less about Falco/Mewtwo, in fact, I'll be kind of..... glad if they never made it in. No deal breaker on that one of course.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
Won't buy when Fox is not in but hey, it ain't happening, right? I would also be kind of sad when Lucario's not in but it did.

They're all I need so of course, insta buy for me.

Could care less about Falco/Mewtwo, in fact, I'll be kind of..... glad if they never made it in. No deal breaker on that one of course.
I hope that if Falco/Ganondorf comes back, the devs will change their movesets to be more unique.

Morbi

Scavenger
No; it does not even influence my decision. As long as something reminiscent of the Original 12 is included, I am sold on the roster. Just as I was over a decade ago. Nothing is going to arbitrarily change.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
No, it does not. I know Smash has mostly been about the characters, but there's always a character someone likes. If not, then move onto a different game. I mean, no one's holding you at gunpoint forcing you to buy it or anything...

I've been playing Smash since the N64 days and by God, I won't stop now.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
I hope that if Falco/Ganondorf comes back, the devs will change their movesets to be more unique.
I wouldn't mind Falco with unique movesets. I main Fox and I was kind of disappointed that he lost his classic blaster from 64 and I kind of frown upon Falco for that reason.

Reader

Smash Apprentice
It does. If the next three newcomers are something like Goku, Shrek and Lady Gaga I will seriously reconsider buying this game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Eh, the only guy I really want is Ridley, I have everyone else I really want, so that requirement was fulfilled at least a game ago. I'll buy any game where I can make Meta Knight and Samus team up against Jigglypuff and Ike to be honest.

I feel like this time they're really just digging a bit too deep for me to care much about who they add, they have added the majority of important characters already. I'm glad Mega Man is here, but that's about it.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
All the characters I used in the previous games have already been confirmed (except Mewtwo...return plox), so I'd buy it regardless if my most wanted newcomers won't make it.

It would be reaaaaallllllllyyyyyyy nice if they WERE included, however. (Lucina pls)

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
If the game plays like Brawl Minus, Melee, Project M, Brawl Plus, or Smash 64, no.

If the game plays like Brawl, yes, but the answer might as well be no because as long as Kirby's there, so am I. Same thing with Jigglypuff, King Dedede, Mega Man, Lyn, or Sami, but Kirby's the one who's absolutely never going away.

Last edited:

Kokusho

Smash Apprentice
Yes but not exclusively.
I'll purchase the game for the sheer amount of content it will offers.
The full roster is a part of that.

If I was only interested in the core mecanics, I would just keep playing Melee and Project M (And I will) because it's exactly what I like.

But I also want to have fun with new pretty things, and Smash4 seems to have a lot of that.

Last edited:

Theberzerker

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1006-0803-5110
I would be really happy with Falco in it. But it isn't a make- or break for me. I'll just main Greeninja or Marth if he isn't

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
Only if it's exceedingly poor.
Which it isn't thankfully, but it could still use some more characters.
*coughShulkcough*

EonGenesis

Smash Cadet
Not at all, Smash has been my favorite franchise more then any other fighting game since childhood.
That makes me hard to believe that I'll just buy the games anyway even if I did hated it.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
Not at all, if Snake, the character I want to return the most is cut, thats a shame, I'll get over it.

But the fact remains, Smash Bros is a great single and multiplayer game.
I will buy it regardless.

After all, there are a bunch of noobs in the game that I'd like to try.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Rosalina and Villager made it in, so I'm buying it, Ridley or not.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The game seemingly fixed a lot of Brawls problems, polished it up, and seems to have better online.

That's all I really wanted.

Truth be told, I was never actually all that sold on Brawl's roster, and I already have 4 of my top 5 newcomers in so I'm happy on that count anyway.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh no i play the roster whoever is on there its just having fun

(Besides 47 or 51 is plenty of room for my favorites from brawl even ridley and mewtwo.)

spader13

Smash Journeyman
While there are still characters I'd like to see get in, the roster no longer decides my purchase. Enough of Nintendo's core characters are pretty much confirmed for each game, that I know the roster will have someone I'll enjoy using as my character. (It helps that Samus and Link are two of my favorites though!). I buy the game for both the gameplay with friends and overall Nintendo fanservice though.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Yes. The appeal of Smash comes from having video game characters that you know and love being able to fight each other, and if it had a horrible roster, then that appeal is gone.
Note: By horrible roster I mean a roster that's filled with obscure characters that I don't know or care about.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Nah. If the game is good, then the roster doesn't really matter.

If my mains from previous games don't get back in I'm not going to throw a fit and give up on Sm4sh, I'll just main someone new. I know a lot of people don't want to do that and that's totally cool, they can do what they feel like. I just really like the game so the roster doesn't matter.

I've already decided I'm probably maining Mac anyway.

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
At least a few characters that I felt like I'd want to main would have to be in... not just smash but ANY game I want to feel like I actually want to play as X character(s).

In this game's case... Half the announced roster = favorite characters from whatever series, including my whole childhood.

We got Marth, Mega Man, Lil Mac, Sonic, Link, Toon Link, Pit, Kirby, Shiek, Greninja- It'd be pathetically greedy at this point if I said "if captain falcon somehow doesn't come back I'm not buyin' ****!" When there's like 12 characters in this where if just one of them had a cameo appearance in another game I've never even heard of/played before I'd probably buy that game.

(Link in Soul Calibur 2)

So yes and no.

SnappyJ

Smash Cadet
NNID
SnappyJ
The roster is what got me to play the SSB64, but the addition or subtraction of characters doesn't really determine my purchase of subsequent games. Even if there was a character I didn't want added or a character I did want left out, I usually end up finding out a new character that I never really thought of is actually really cool and interesting. That's what I love most, being taken by surprise with the character additions I never thought of and seeing what unique techniques Sakurai has implemented with the character.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Yes, to some extent, but mostly outside the realm of possibility. If, for example, every newcomer were a literal bag of trash, there's absolutely no way I'd take the game seriously as a product, and thus, I wouldn't buy it. However, I've got Pac-Man and Little Mac in this game, so if Sakurai wishes to make the rest of the newcomers bags of trash, well, I'd have a hard time convincing myself not to buy it.

Senario

Smash Ace
No falcon no buy!!!

Just kidding. It is more of the mechanics of the game that would confirm or deny my purchase. Much like any other game I plan to play competitively.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Brawl taught to care more about how the game is played more so than who made it in or not. So no, the roster doesn't sway my judgement to buy it.

Top Bottom