• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does the addition of Roy make Marth obsolete?

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
Roy is so much better now- and unlike mewtwo and Lucario, Marth and Roy are still pretty similar.

what is the difference between Marth- what advantages does he have over Roy? tip of the blade is the only one I can think of

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Roy is pretty OP. The bad thing about Roy that Marth has an advantage over now is recovery. As you know Roy falls like a Space Human (instead of Space Animal, eh?). This hurts the heyl out of his recovery. Marth has a much better recovery, as well as the tip of his blade which I'd say is about even with Roy's... blade shaft (?) and that super ridiculously long reaching F-Tilt he has. They both fit different playstyles admirably... but if you're accustomed to both of them... Wull... You've pretty much got every character covered (except the ones who spam projectiles... Samus, Link, Toon dood)

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Roy is so much better now- and unlike mewtwo and Lucario, Marth and Roy are still pretty similar.

what is the difference between Marth- what advantages does he have over Roy? tip of the blade is the only one I can think of
BY NO MEANS is Marth obsolete. One thing Marth has over Roy is good spacing. Good as in easier. Marth's faster, but less punishable with the recovery. He also falls slower, which aids to recovery. Nitpicking, Roy's more good at predicting, but Marth's spacing allows him to safely hit people both in and at the tip range. Roy can, but he needs to fish for closer combat while Marth has more flexibility and defensive options, in my opinion.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
marth is still better than roy anyway
This. Roy is still real fun to play and different enough from Marth to feel unique while have a similar flavor. I find Roy easier to play anyway but that could just be because he does not have a metagame behind him so I get to experiment.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Marth deals with "lame" stuff easier. If a person is trying to abuse CC, it's a lot easier for Marth to get around this than Roy. Projectile camping? Marth. Trying to float outside your range? Better be careful with that ****, IT'S MARF. etc

Roy is absolutely brutal against FF's though. Literally kills stuff at 20-30 with Dtilt to Fsmash, with the edgeguard factored in obv. It's easier to "toss out" any move with Roy and expect a meaty hit: Marth needs a lot more precision to accomplish the same feeling. They are both fun, but Roy will probably struggle a bit more naturally

210stuna

Smash Lord
Have you guys seen Roy's tilts?!

I'm not talking about that new reach, but THAT KNOCKBACK.
My goodness, so much and so strong as well. It's insane.

The other thing that Roy has over Marth is the reverse able dancing blades, which comes in handy more often than you think.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Roy's F-tilt is damn good. It's like Marth's old shield breaker range, but less lag.

T-Murder

Smash Apprentice
Marth still has tipper, while Roy's sweet spot is toward the middle of his blade. Roy is a fast faller to while Marht and therefore it is easier to recover with Marth . but honestly is is more about personal preference. I do feel that Roy is much approved from Melee

Bukowski On Ice

Smash Cadet
The best way to think about it is that Roy is Falco and Marth is Fox. Roy is a glass cannon who can rack up dmg and get crazy combos from one or two hits, but once he's off stage you can ledge guard or hog very easily. Plus Marth can counter Roy's up-b and roy will just die. Marth is faster, has a better grab game, and tippers will lead to kills at lower percents. Roy doesn't have the same kill potential, but it's not far off from Marth's. I think that it's just a matter of who you feel more comfortable playing with.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
The implication of this thread title is absolutely hysterical. Roy converts ridiculously hard off of everything but he doesn't quite have marth's movement, range or ability to just juggle you for as long as he damn well pleases until you die. And that is fundamental to his design. It just wasn't well executed in melee so roy wasn't even fun to play compared to marth.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
they are even for sure, but I think that marth is slightly more difficult to play in this game than roy is, especially because of the god tier recoveries making gimping harder, and the stages not exactly being perfect for marth like melee.

ZexM

Smash Cadet
Roy's recovery is whoriffic. He has really nice tilts though, his up and forward are super sexy. He's also heavy as hell making his F-Air game crazy, but I think that that also works against him really badly. Sure he can more through the air faster than Marth. But with the bit of flaotiness about Marth it gives him more time and control of his spacing, allowing him to maneuver more freely than Roy. Roy may be a hot pursuer, but without the tip factor and all that weight when he gets in the fray Roy needs to roll with the punches or get the hell out. He has the same problem Fox and Falco have, that after about 40/50% they can't really take much of a hit and because of how fast they fall recovery specialty is a must. The difference: Roy can't recover like Fox or Falco. Once again, you need to be perfectly with a Fire Emblem character, with Roy you need to be very aggressive and never relent. However, if you get caught in a sticky situation, Roy doesn't have as many options as Marth, leaving him prone to being a bit of a punching bag prone on the ground. Up/Down tilt city!

Justkallmekai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ProjectM3.0
3DS FC
0473-8282-3242
I don't think that Roy being in the game makes Marth obsolete, because firstly though everyone has pointed it out. His recovery is a bunch of donkey ass ***** covered in chocolate feces. While Marth's is pretty good. Plus Roy is heavier, and can't do some of the combos that Marth can.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I would hardly say obsolete. Roys is not bad in this game. Marth is still better though.

Charby

Smash Journeyman
When i see topic like "Does the addition of Roy make Marth obsolete" on Marth board it says a lot of the skill of the OP, i hope this is a joke...
"Does the addition of sugar make salt obsolete" that's pretty much the same

Last edited:

jackmorgan8

Smash Rookie
NNID
jackmorgan8
Roy is different enough from Marth that this question is kind of inapplicable.

Marth whomps Roy hard though.
Marth only destroys Roy because of how their sweetspots work. A good Marth with near-perfect spacing will demolish a perfect Roy 9/10 times, but a Marth with poor spacing lets Roy really get close and hit some solid tilts and f smashes

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
they're both good at what they do, so no. roy gets in your face, and marth spaces you out. completely different things. it's like falcon and ganon, their moves are similar, but the play styles are drastically different.

haru-zocole

Smash Cadet
roy has his own flow and in PM has finally found a foothold in the games balance. ironically completely different then marth as is falco different then fox. roy doesnt challenge marths place. but rather makes his own. whos better in that matchup? only time will tell. imo marth is still more versatile and adaptive. which makes him better. still just my opinion.

Top Bottom