• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Does the 3DS version seem unfinished to you?

Fluggerson

Smash Apprentice
I feel like it's unfinished. I'm not complaining or anything, but I just get this feeling. Maybe it's because Sakurai was rushed.

There is indeed a lot of content but something is missing, or unfinished. Maybe it's the 6 stage classic mode or the absence of Break the Targets. Also, the English audio not synced well to the character's lips (poorly done, probably cause it was rushed).

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Well the syncing is due to lower quality models. If you notice a lot of the animations are jumpy and pop into place n such. This is not only done to save time but reduce wasted space, since outside the Victory screen you never see these animations anyway.
Break the Targets was always kinda pointless to me anyway.

popo12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nucleotyde
3DS FC
1977-0411-3918
Honestly, I think this game feels the most finished of any Smash game so far. By quite a bit actually. It doesn't have Melee's glut of clones (the clones here feel more like bonuses than filler), it doesn't have the weird errors that 64 had ("Primeape!"), and it doesn't have Brawl's plethora of weird glitches (yet, though there are a few) and weird, glaring balance issues ("Let's nerf Falcon then rip the entire physics engine out from under him!") yet. 64 can probably be chalked up to translation mistakes, but Melee and Brawl both felt really rushed to me. I really feel like they took their time on this one though.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Honestly, I think this game feels the most finished of any Smash game so far. By quite a bit actually. It doesn't have Melee's glut of clones (the clones here feel more like bonuses than filler), it doesn't have the weird errors that 64 had ("Primeape!"), and it doesn't have Brawl's plethora of weird glitches (yet, though there are a few) and weird, glaring balance issues ("Let's nerf Falcon then rip the entire physics engine out from under him!") yet. 64 can probably be chalked up to translation mistakes, but Melee and Brawl both felt really rushed to me. I really feel like they took their time on this one though.

I have to say I disagree this game feels the most rushed out of the 4 released, this game is missing features that should be a no brainer such as a break the targets mode, adventure mode and event matches making the single player very boring very fast. the stage selection is the worst considering that a third of them are rehashes and the music selection is lacking in same regards you cant even customize which music appears more often like you could in brawl, and considering this game was in development with the wii u version there is no way this wasn't rushed to hold people over for the console release

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Translation modes that mean nothing to a multiplayer-based game.
Whats the point of break the targets, adventure mode, events, and even the little "campaign" thing brawl had? Trophies. Big...freakin...deal...

im more glad they didnt include those than upset they are missing. Means they focused on the REAL game before adding in all the side-bonuses.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
I do kinda feel like the game is unfinished, modes like race/climb and special smash are limited to Smash Run, and there a few few missing modes. (namely Break the Targets) Add in the lack of item frequency control and strange selection screen organization, I can't help but feel some extra content is planned to be patched in or sold as DLC.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I can't understand why they limited Special Smash to only Smash Run. If they are programmed into the game, then they should be able to be selected. The only reason I can think of is that the team did that to make Smash Run more special.

I love all the unique newcomers, characters are the most important content in Smash and I'm glad they focused on that.

I don't personally miss Break the Targets (though I know there is a SpeedRun community for it, which I enjoyed watching).

I wish they took three years to develop the game, like they did with Brawl but because of the need for a system-seller for Wii U, I can understand why they rushed it.

popo12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nucleotyde
3DS FC
1977-0411-3918
I have to say I disagree this game feels the most rushed out of the 4 released, this game is missing features that should be a no brainer such as a break the targets mode, adventure mode and event matches making the single player very boring very fast. the stage selection is the worst considering that a third of them are rehashes and the music selection is lacking in same regards you cant even customize which music appears more often like you could in brawl, and considering this game was in development with the wii u version there is no way this wasn't rushed to hold people over for the console release
I'd say a lot of that is probably more limitations of the system itself than time limitations. There is a lot of content here even without those modes, and the 3DS is probably the least powerful system Smash has been on since 64. Not to mention the single player options in general seem more suited to a handheld; aiming for shorter play sessions on the handheld version makes sense when you're releasing a console version of essentially the same game. And I honestly like the focus on the core game rather than all of the extra modes. Sure Brawl had the massive story mode and whatnot, but it had a slew of problems when it came down to the actual game.

I think I'm going to have to concede on the stages. I think the main reason there are so many old stages is because they wanted to save time and didn't want to spend a lot of resources on new stages for this version. I don't really care though, because Brawl had a lot of stages, and it makes sense to bring back some of the favorite stages/stages that represent their franchises well rather than spending the time designing brand new ones. Plus the new stages tend to be pretty impressive, especially considering that they're on the 3DS.

Last edited:

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
I think the lack of a proper Break the Targets/Race to the Finish/Event Match/etc modes is due to a mix of limited space and a larger focus on Smash Run. They'll probably be back in the Wii U version though so it doesn't really bother me.

This game feels like it suffers from a combo of being rushed and limited space. The re-using of Brawl's victory themes, sound effects, and voice clips, as well as a decent amount of big franchises only getting returning stages is most likely a result of being rushed, but stuff like no Ice Climbers, 2 music tracks for each stage and only a few single player modes seems to be more because it's on the 3DS. Like seriously it can't handle something (Ice Climbers) a 13 year old system could handle

aozf05

Smash Cadet
Surely Melee felt more rushed than this? Honestly though, I feel like the features that the 3DS version lacks is mainly due to space restrictions rather than time restrictions. The game doesn't even have an opening sequence. They really just focused on polishing the fighting mechanics and it really shines, although since the online capabilities suck you can't very well show everybody your moves.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Translation modes that mean nothing to a multiplayer-based game.
Whats the point of break the targets, adventure mode, events, and even the little "campaign" thing brawl had? Trophies. Big...freakin...deal...

I'm more glad they didn't include those than upset they are missing. Means they focused on the REAL game before adding in all the side-bonuses.

Its a hand held game, this game doesn't benefit from having extra controller ports like its predecessors. there are a lot of variables that come in to play when you want to play the 3ds version with your friends

- they each need to have a 3ds
- they each need a copy of the game
- they need to be close enough to have a good wireless connection without local interference or a decent online connection

all those things decrease over time and those side bonuses I mentioned become more important than ever when talking about the 3ds because when they shut down the servers for this game do you really see yourself playing again when t the only feature it truly has is available another device and handled 20 times better.

Also the character balanced does not excuse the lack of features in the 3ds version because the same characters are in the wii u version, and it isn't smart to solely try to focus on one aspect of the game on a device that's primarily designed around single player use especially when its big brother is coming later this year

Raijinken

Smash Master
Nope, feels fine to me. It has more content than Smash64 and Melee did, and both of those felt (and still feel) complete as games.

Good points about "when the servers get shut down", but I've always FAR preferred local play (I think I did like three online rounds of Brawl my entire Brawl career, and never once netplayed for PM, even before the servers got shut down). Plus, this version didn't cost me an extra $300 for a system with no other games I'm interested in.

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
If anything I think this game feels the most rushed, and Brawl feels like the most finished. Brawl had a LONG development cycle, and was packed full of modes! This game also has way too many old stages, and even less than Brawl. We'll have to see how the Wii U version turns out.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Unfinished? I didn't really notice anything like that, probably because I was waay hyped for the game to notice anything overly bad about it. All I was looking forward to was For Glory 1v1 to be honest, and that's what I got. Maybe it was rushed, maybe it wasn't, didn't make much of a notable difference to me anyway.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Nope, feels fine to me. It has more content than Smash64 and Melee did, and both of those felt (and still feel) complete as games.

Good points about "when the servers get shut down", but I've always FAR preferred local play (I think I did like three online rounds of Brawl my entire Brawl career, and never once netplayed for PM, even before the servers got shut down). Plus, this version didn't cost me an extra $300 for a system with no other games I'm interested in.

The point isn't that it has more content than 64 or melee its that it has less content than brawl the last game in the series and it seems to be missing things that would be staples at this point.

Also it doesn't matter whether or not you're willing to buy the Wii u version, the point is that smash for the 3DS is a very lacking experience in general unless you're near other people who have it or on a WiFi connection which defeats the purpose of it being on a hand held in the first place

DadPalindrome

Smash Cadet
NNID
DadPalindrome
3DS FC
3780-9241-3996
I wouldn't say unfinished, I would say it's a big demo for the real version, with a dumb extra mode that doesn't have online for some reason.
Lord knows I won't even touch Smash 3DS at home when Smash U is out.

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
I wouldn't say unfinished, I would say it's a big demo for the real version, with a dumb extra mode that doesn't have online for some reason.
Lord knows I won't even touch Smash 3DS at home when Smash U is out.
Same. The game hurts my hands too lol. But I still am enjoying it while I have it.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Unfinished? I didn't really notice anything like that, probably because I was waay hyped for the game to notice anything overly bad about it. All I was looking forward to was For Glory 1v1 to be honest, and that's what I got. Maybe it was rushed, maybe it wasn't, didn't make much of a notable difference to me anyway.
I was just like you until I had a power outage for a day

Raijinken

Smash Master
The point isn't that it has more content than 64 or melee its that it has less content than brawl the last game in the series and it seems to be missing things that would be staples at this point.

Also it doesn't matter whether or not you're willing to buy the Wii u version, the point is that smash for the 3DS is a very lacking experience in general unless you're near other people who have it or on a WiFi connection which defeats the purpose of it being on a hand held in the first place
I'm both near other people and have a wifi connection. And with it being handheld, I can play with people after classes instead of having to gather everyone at the dorm.

I got rather used to different versions of a game having different content levels, always the handheld having less. That has never made me feel like the handheld version was unfinished or lacking, it's simply a smaller complete version of the game.

ThatEpicMudkip

Smash Rookie
NNID
ThatEpicMudkip
3DS FC
4124-5091-3596
In my personal opinion about Smash 4, the only thing lacking is online play. They could have added Smash Run to online, and even some new games. That Angry Birds knockoff was a real disappointment. And they made a huge mistake removing event matches.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I attribute your collective sense that there is a lack of content to two things:

1. Many of you expect as much content as a game that's continually updated
  2. There's content for two versions of essentially the same game.

comics

Smash Cadet
Smash Run online would be great, or if they just had it as a side thing and didn't make it seem as big of a deal, nobody would even mention it, it would just be like a nice bonus.

Doing something as simple as moving Smash Run away from the main part of the menu would psychologically make people think the game is more complete.

I'm loving the game, my second favorite Smash game ever. So much fun! It feels great!

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I like it the way it is just wish it had more options and game modes available but either way I play with my group most of the time so I'm fine.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
I'm both near other people and have a wifi connection. And with it being handheld, I can play with people after classes instead of having to gather everyone at the dorm.

I got rather used to different versions of a game having different content levels, always the handheld having less. That has never made me feel like the handheld version was unfinished or lacking, it's simply a smaller complete version of the game.
You literally just proved my point, the reasons you enjoy this game so much (as I do also) is because those features are available to you, the only problem being that those features aren't portable or indicative of what handhelds are designed for and Nintendo didn't keep in mind the fact people don't always have the ability to play with others and will be forced to the single player modes if that's lacking then there is a problem, whether or not you wanna believe it is up to you

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Btw do you know how much space this game takes as it is?

10k blocks (counting the additional save data and downloaded content) is huge. Its twice as big as the average 3DS game, and thats with all the shortcuts on graphics, animations, and to some extent internet play on Smash Runs to cut the data down.
Yes we live in an era where SD cards can be massive. Go beyond the 2GB range and they start to get reaaaally pricy when you mass produce them.

Most people didnt know this but Brawl didnt use a traditional DVD. It had a special one that was capable of holding more info than normal. That jacked their product cost up since they had to use a very special disc that still counts/readable as a DVD but held more data.
Only reason i know that is because my brother is one of those pirating guys that mod their systems and download all their games. He bought smash brawl because of the special disc requirement, and he couldnt find the disc needed to get it all on one disc.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Btw do you know how much space this game takes as it is?

10k blocks (counting the additional save data and downloaded content) is huge. Its twice as big as the average 3DS game, and thats with all the shortcuts on graphics, animations, and to some extent internet play on Smash Runs to cut the data down.
Yes we live in an era where SD cards can be massive. Go beyond the 2GB range and they start to get reaaaally pricy when you mass produce them.

Most people didnt know this but Brawl didnt use a traditional DVD. It had a special one that was capable of holding more info than normal. That jacked their product cost up since they had to use a very special disc that still counts/readable as a DVD but held more data.
Only reason i know that is because my brother is one of those pirating guys that mod their systems and download all their games. He bought smash brawl because of the special disc requirement, and he couldnt find the disc needed to get it all on one disc.

The only reason I know that is because my Wii had a hard time reading dual layered discs and i had to send it back to nintendo

popo12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nucleotyde
3DS FC
1977-0411-3918
If anything I think this game feels the most rushed, and Brawl feels like the most finished. Brawl had a LONG development cycle, and was packed full of modes! This game also has way too many old stages, and even less than Brawl. We'll have to see how the Wii U version turns out.
Modes don't equate to quality though, and Brawl is well known for being rushed. That's why a huge swath of SSE was cut, why Sonic is basically tacked on (no remixes, barely more than a cameo in the story), and why that game is so atrociously balanced. They spent all their time on SSE, a mode most people played once, if at all, and the game as a whole suffered for it. This game has also been in development a long time, and it's core is much more polished than Brawl's was. It's not as fully featured as the console versions because it simply can't be.

Shog

Smash Ace
Best proof for unfinished product? Lack of Item Frequency and Special Smash. This game lacks Options. Something I always enjoy and other too of course. Look how many are excited for 8 Smash mode in Wii U IFF it turns out to be true.

And what hurts me the most is that Special Stage abilities are in Smash Run. Why Smash Bros. Team, why??

Last edited:

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
Yes because there's not a lot of content and modes. It feels like a bare bones Smash. I really hope the Wii U one will have more modes and content and it's like the "real version".

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
I don't understand. Brawl had more modes, but had less characters and terrible balance. This game has more characters, pretty great balance (so it seems thus far), and less modes. Which one would you rather have?

imo you can keep your coin battles

Shog

Smash Ace
I don't understand. Brawl had more modes, but had less characters and terrible balance. This game has more characters, pretty great balance (so it seems thus far), and less modes. Which one would you rather have?

Item Frequency was in Smash 64, your argument is invalid

popo12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nucleotyde
3DS FC
1977-0411-3918
Lack of item frequency is probably just a hardware thing. Turn items on high and it'd chug like a freight train. Not to mention it's probably fairly simple to code and probably isn't something that would need to be cut for time.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Items in general in this one are kinda dumb. I used to love 4man battles with items but not in 3DS because theres wayy waaaaayyy too many I WIN buttons atm. The Smash Ball isnt even the worst of them lol. It feels like literally every item has more kill potential than a full charge smash. Probably over-exaggerating that but it feels that way.

Also i did actually like coin battles....in short 2-3min games since its almost entirely based on the last 30sec for who wins. Best in weird levels like the Mario ones or F-ZeroX. It created an intense as hell fight, the ~2min prior to the end was just softening people up for the last kill.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
The way I see it, you are not getting the "whole" Smash 4 experience. Smash 3DS is one side of a coin. The Wii U version is the other side. When you have both versions, Smash 4 will be a complete whole.

The Wii U and 3DS versions set out to do two completely different things, but also serve to compliment one another. So, they are the same game, but are also different at the same time.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
The real version hasn't come out yet, so the 3DS version is a nice little treat before the big boy comes out.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
I don't understand. Brawl had more modes, but had less characters and terrible balance. This game has more characters, pretty great balance (so it seems thus far), and less modes. Which one would you rather have?h

that's easy to say if you're just interested in the competitive aspect, but the 3ds isn't really that open to the competitive play given the low accuracy of the circle pad and the over all comfort level which the wii u version will most likely take control over anyway. This should have had the most single player modes given the fact that its a 3ds game which is supposed to be portable and offer the casual player things to do while they're out and about. You need to keep in mind that not everyone is satisfied with the bare minimum of a game.

I hated coin battles too but the option never hurt anyone

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
I feel like its complete, but they took all the stuff that should be separate (Target Smash, special events like Stamina and all that) and shoved it into Smash Run.

Top Bottom