• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does playing music help you play better?

I

i8waffles612

Yea rock, punk and metal (not heavy metal) help be play bettter... but definatly NOT rap

~rh

Smash Lord
Certain DragonForce songs help my Marth a bit, due to the speed of both.

I

i8waffles612

I think Rap is the gayest type of music. My brother LOVES rap and hes always rapping and I feel like shoving a freakin knife through my throat because I HATE RAP SOOOOO VERY MUCH!!!

I can still hear it running through my mind-----

"Oh wait, you mad cause Im stylin on you" OMG!!!

Toshiba

Smash Apprentice
Lol banks, if you like any mainstream rap past dre's 2001, and im assuming you do as your name on here is banks, you are ********. Rap died years ago, good rap that is. There are still a few good rappers out there, but they dont recieve anywhere near the attention they deserve.

O and btw, i might be wrong on this assumption, but you are into the whole R&B thing too arent you? I say this because most people who still like the rap thats on the radio are into r&b. If you are, you have absolutly no place to talk about what music is or isnt made for women, as that is probably the single most female oriented genre in music. R&b is basicly black pop, with every single song dealing with some kind of bull**** relationship drama. R&b is complete ***** music, so if you like it, go kill yourself now. Either that or dont make posts like the one you just made.

K.C. Cloud

Smash Ace
I'm starting to listen to music while playing. It puts me in this 'room' where I focus alot more on just the match, myself, my opponent and I'm more aware of what I'm doing rather than the sounds and noises around me.

Plus my opponents verbal mindgames lol. Playing certain types of music help my tech skill become more accurate and keep my pace more unpredictable. Rap, Rock, R&B, Instrumental and a couple of other catagories as well. It's something that helps me stay calm, helps me camp better (since I have something to listen too LOL) or do whatever, it in general gives me more patience in alot of ways.

I really depends on the person, but music has seemed to help me lately.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
I think Rap is the gayest type of music. My brother LOVES rap and hes always rapping and I feel like shoving a freakin knife through my throat because I HATE RAP SOOOOO VERY MUCH!!!

I can still hear it running through my mind-----

"Oh wait, you mad cause Im stylin on you" OMG!!!
Lol such close minded idiocy. This is the kind of guy that has only heard the mainstream stuff and think it's all bad. Not all rap is bad and I can type a few paragraphs about this but that is not what my thread is about but please if you don't have anything smart to say about genre of music PLEASE keep it to yourself, some people here do like rap and would rather not hear disrespectful things about it.

Ornj

Smash Journeyman
Lol such close minded idiocy. This is the kind of guy that has only heard the mainstream stuff and think it's all bad. Not all rap is bad and I can type a few paragraphs about this but that is not what my thread is about but please if you don't have anything smart to say about genre of music PLEASE keep it to yourself, some people here do like rap and would rather not hear disrespectful things about it.
yup yup not all rap is bad, just most lol

neways music gives me an edge against some ppl, like my friend who screams and shouts in my ear everytime something happens XD.

Viking Ness

Smash Journeyman
A friend of mine likes to play Nasty Girl from the Mike Nasty combo vid when he's playing Samus. Maybe it works, maybe not.

Devotion

Smash Apprentice
For me yeah since helps me stay loose and not get all tensed up if something goes wrong in the match. Rock or Metal is what i listen to when i play.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Lol well it would be the same as me sayin rock sucks cok even though I don't believe that to be true. But it's all based on opinion but a lot of people don't have intelligent opinions about the whole situation.

Fiiii

Smash Apprentice
Usually, the type of music I hear changes the strategy I use, either defensive and patient or offensive and aggressive. That being said, I mainly listen to the ingame music. It's good stuff.

Mindphazzer

Smash Apprentice
I sometimes listen to the music on my Ipod while I play, it can help me do a little better here and there. Most of the time it just distracts me or throws my concentration off, and other times it does not. I do better if I just listen to the sounds and music of the game.

Ganondorfthewhite

Smash Rookie
Me personally I play with the music and lyrics. The sound of the music will totally change my strategy and everything. And there is this one song that I always get KOd at this one part it's annoying. I usually listen to Demon Hunter while I play. I know one thing I am usually much more aggressive while listening to it.

K4M1K4Z3

Smash Cadet
i listen to dragonforce when i play sometimes, and it seems to work, it makes me remember to roll dodge or wave dash at exactly the right moment, i have no idea why, but the song "Cry for Eternity" always makes me pwn like 3x more

I

i8waffles612

When I am in Hyrule Castle the Fire Emblem song always makes me play better!!

Milos

Smash Lord
i listen to dragonforce when i play sometimes, and it seems to work, it makes me remember to roll dodge or wave dash at exactly the right moment, i have no idea why, but the song "Cry for Eternity" always makes me pwn like 3x more
I love that song, I listen to it when I play too, the solo 5 minutes in is sick.:)

gcboy

Smash Cadet
sorry for being such a nerd but playing different types of music affects the growth patterns of plants. i can thus conclude that we are all plants if we are affect by music too.

**applause in a full auditorium with variants of "genius" and "new einstein" scattered across the room**

is that how you speel einstein... inestyne...einsten...? hehe, speel.

btw, listening to music does affect your playing style, or at least it affects mine. if you interpret the thread title in a different way, i do think that playing the guitar or some other instrument can affect how nimble your fingers are and can help you play better too, no?

Mindphazzer

Smash Apprentice
sorry for being such a nerd but playing different types of music affects the growth patterns of plants. i can thus conclude that we are all plants if we are affect by music too.

**applause in a full auditorium with variants of "genius" and "new einstein" scattered across the room**

is that how you speel einstein... inestyne...einsten...? hehe, speel.

btw, listening to music does affect your playing style, or at least it affects mine. if you interpret the thread title in a different way, i do think that playing the guitar or some other instrument can affect how nimble your fingers are and can help you play better too, no?
Yeah, I think so. I can't play well with vocal songs, the voices and stuff are too distracting.

go2chutch

Smash Cadet
i personaly have problems with abient noise in the background, ive played games with guys who i would usualy 3 stock if we were alone in a room playing and barely made it away with a 1 stock with people talking in the background, i could reiterate their entire conversation if you like but thats the reason its a problem, my attention is somewhat split and i end up playing generic without prediction or mindgames. i tried music to tune this noise out and to be quaint, i just ended up listening to the music too much. it distracted me less but enough that i decided against it, now i just use earplugs

Top Bottom