• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does playing music help you play better?

Hamsterpie

Smash Apprentice
I play jigglypuff better when i listen to NWA.
Whatever works, but i really enjoy playing a character when their respective combo video music plays.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Personally playing loud music while playing smash is extremely distracting. I can't even focus while the music is on. Regardless on what music it is, I can't concentrate when the music is on while smashing.

Samething with Smash videos. I'd rather to watch a video with the original audio than edited music on. (except combo videos.)

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I don't listen to music when I'm playing unless a friend puts on a song on his stereo. I don't know if it makes me better in any way through.

Ghettoman

Smash Apprentice
I like to listen to music while i play. I hate the soundof the the controllers clicking for some reason. I put on headphones sometimes, it helps me concentrate. Fast paced music helps too, I main Fox so. . . yeah.

Ghostype

Smash Champion
I'm gonna start listening to music while playing more often, it may give me 5+ focus points.

And I know it definitely makes having to watch other people play, as you wait your turn more entertaining. You ever watched Space Animals fight, while listening to classical music? It's silly.

Reese

Smash Journeyman
When I listen to fast heavy music, I play very aggressively and stupid.

If I listen to music from a combo vid, while playing that charactor from that combo vid, I try to play like that player from that combo vid.

Listening to slow music makes me play slow and smarter.

When I listen to techno, I SD a lot.

Generally when I listen to music, I play worse. I listen to the music, but I dont concentrate on the game.

Sometimes I sing along with whatever song I am listening too, and this distracts my opponent. (I dont do this intentionally. )

If I put my mp3 player to play random songs though, sometimes I get victories, because my playing style changes so much from whatever I am listening too.

CHUK

Smash Ace
I heard playing high helps too....And someone i know....palyed on shrooms and was rediculously better than normal....akward.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
music can make you aggresive or in game jumpy . you might mash buttons

i listen to one winged angel and play a lot better cause it affects my spontaniousity

Edg

Smash Cadet
Music definately helps me. I cant say 100% that it would physically help my technical skill or mindgames, but it definately gives me the "leet" feeling as im playing... helps me play more confidently and more aggressively. Certain songs do it for me, but not really a certain type of music. Anything that has a good rythem and makes me feel like a gangster usually works

iankobe

Smash Lord
I think listening to music would distract you also.

LOL Maybe just me. I can't imagine when I listen to my favorite song while smashing....I would start doing the beat and sing along with it. I dunno.

Umpy

Smash Apprentice
music is good to listen to if the music is adreline pumping other wise it is useless b/c adreline is the bodies way of taking pain and giving people an edge

MuseLives

Smash Journeyman
Enjoying some leisurely chaos...in New Jersey
in my personal experience, music lets me keep focused in the tournament atmosphere, depending on the genre of course, moreso than hearing comments from people around, controller clicking, etc. I find that anything with a good beat tends to fix the usual gaps in my technical skill for whatever reason.

Once in a small crew battle, my team was down 11 stock to my 4 (i was anchoring). The two people that had knocked me out of the singles bracket were still on the other team. I rocked out Machinae Supremacy's Winterstorm and got to work. Somehow we won >_> That's my lucky song to play in high-pressure situations now.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
If that's the case, you should also avoid certain kinds of Mexican music, unless you want to destroy your controller in the insane friction.

Sometimes it's nice to take a break from the same tracks we hear over and over again, even though most of us don't pay as much attention to the music when in a good match. Just depends on what your definition of a distraction is. I've got no other source for music, so I got used to Battlefield's music, among others.

Spacecadet

Smash Cadet
I think music definitely helps me play. I haven't really tried it in smash though. In halo, however, I more often than not stopped listening to my team in favor of some wicked tunes that made me feel like this :demon: and won me many matches. I hope for the same effect in smash, though they are two very different genres.

Fire Fox X

Smash Apprentice
Music helps the person who can handle the fast finger movements. It's a real simple process starting from your ears, to your brain, back to your fingers. If you can handle the intensity of hearing your favorite song, or a fast one, and control yourself, then it's obviously going to improve your skill. I beleive in that, because I've seen results, and not just in myself.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I don't really like playing unless I can hear the match. I feel like I have to hear the sounds of the characters in the game in order to play.
Yeah, I agree. A lot of my gameplay relies on the sound cues from the characters. That way I can hear Mario go "YA!" before he smashes me and I can move out of the way. Of course I'm paying attention visually, but sound helps too. And without music, I can trash talk and make random hilarious comments. :grin:

alcheato

Smash Ace
I sometimes listen to my iPod while playing. The TV's in tourney's are usually pretty loud so I can still hear over the music as long as I keep it low and I find listening music helps me not to overthink as much.

classic zero

Smash Cadet
:grin: i cant have some thing slow when i play
anyway i only play music when im real serious
and when i get to that point thats when
my D&B music comes out:mad:

Big_R

Smash Champion
when i listen to some oxycontin by lil white it gets me amped. but before a match, not during.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Hmm I tried playin with some good people and I didn't do to bad although I did screw up on some stuff like not hearing the illusion to f smash or just noises that tells you what move that character is gonna do. But my tech is on though when I have the music playing.

Top Bottom