• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Kirby have a spike?

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
d-air is probably what people use the most to spike. Up-B is a bit more situational and harder to pull off unfortunately. Still a great move though. :D

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
Down-air is a fairly good spike move, you just need practice with it and aligning yourself well with the person getting back on stage, but it's not too hard. You can connect D-air with a footstool hop.

Final cutter can spike as well, when you're getting back on stage and the guy trys attacking you off the stage, you should come down the stage with a final cutter and hope you hit them coming down when they aren't on the stage, they should plummet downward, the only characters that really have much hope of recovering from that are characters with multiple jumps or have fairly quick and good vertical recovery. Don't land on the stage, but grab the cliff with it in case you mess up.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
And to add to Plasmaexe's Final Cutter technique: after grabbing the ledge, drop down immediately and footstool jump them. If they've already jumped, they're dead.

shinzou

Smash Cadet
does stone spike... cause i'm pretty sure i've seen it done.... or maybe i was just dellusional...

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
D-air is a spike move, but it consists of multiple hits.
Up+B has a spike too, but it's when Kirby comes down is where the spike will occur. It is much more difficult to perform this.

Laijin

Smash Hero
D-air to footstool is an instant kill to a lot of characters.
D-air to d-air works on most characters too.
Pretty much, d-air is almost gaurenteed to hit if the person is coming from underneath the ledge(with most characters at least).

KiteDXX

Smash Apprentice
Final Cutter's spike is very hard to pull off outside of ledge situations, primarily because the resulting wave cancels the spike.

However, you can spike in two other situations:

~ Landing the downward slash on an opponent grabbing onto the ledge (while you are on the stage). They will fall off the ledge and the wave won't have a chance to hit.
~ Landing the downward slash on an opponent grabbing onto the ledge, and grabbing the ledge in the process. Usually when you're recovering and need to get them off the ledge.

Dair spikes relatively easy, but I find it far better to KO through Fsmash and Kirbycides. :/

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I dont really see his down air as much of a spike, its more like an ultra gimping technique since it tends to freak out the person it happens to because they frantically try to escape. Either way I wouldnt really try spiking with Kirby, you would be better off just chasing them off the side imo.

On the Stone Spike, thinking about it now I think that I have spiked with that before, unless I am delusional as well. If Im correct it spiked right in the first couple frames where the hitbox appears. If it doesnt spike then though, I doubt it spikes at all.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
I dont really see his down air as much of a spike, its more like an ultra gimping technique since it tends to freak out the person it happens to because they frantically try to escape. Either way I wouldnt really try spiking with Kirby, you would be better off just chasing them off the side imo.

On the Stone Spike, thinking about it now I think that I have spiked with that before, unless I am delusional as well. If Im correct it spiked right in the first couple frames where the hitbox appears. If it doesnt spike then though, I doubt it spikes at all.
By definition, the Dair is a spike. Whether or not you see it as one, by virtue of the fact that it sends your opponent directly downward, it is a spike.

Down-B doesn't spike. Ever.

Kirby is so lame compared to 64. It's a waste to try and spike with Dair because there's a chance you'll miss the sweetspot. In 64, the spike hitbox extended past his feet and included half of his body.

Laijin

Smash Hero
By definition, the Dair is a spike. Whether or not you see it as one, by virtue of the fact that it sends your opponent directly downward, it is a spike.

Down-B doesn't spike. Ever.

Kirby is so lame compared to 64. It's a waste to try and spike with Dair because there's a chance you'll miss the sweetspot. In 64, the spike hitbox extended past his feet and included half of his body.
No.

A spike is when your opponent can't meteor cancel it. Otherwise it is a meteor smash.

Think Marth's d-air in melee(or brawl) or Falco's d-air in melee(or brawl I think. I dunno. Falco sucks in brawl. So I dunno what his d-air does).

a meteor smash is when they can press up b to recovery from it(Like Ganon's d-air in melee or Falcon's d-air in melee)

kamekasu

Smash Ace
No.

A spike is when your opponent can't meteor cancel it. Otherwise it is a meteor smash.

Think Marth's d-air in melee(or brawl) or Falco's d-air in melee(or brawl I think. I dunno. Falco sucks in brawl. So I dunno what his d-air does).

a meteor smash is when they can press up b to recovery from it(Like Ganon's d-air in melee or Falcon's d-air in melee)
Except there's no meteor canceling in Brawl... which makes all meteors spikes. Which means Kirby's D-air spikes.

I know what meteor canceling is.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Kirby´s Dair work great against chars who don´t get much vertical height from their recovery (DK, Bowser) since even if you knock them only slightly down they can easily become unable to return. It also sometimes works against fastfallers for the same reason.

About stone spike: I´ve never seen that happen, so I don´t think that it spikes. And off topic: the funniest way to kill enemy with "spike" is to Up-b him when both of you are off the stage, killing both you and him.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
For everyone questioning the stone spike, it doesn't exist PERSAY. However, if you hit someone at the right angle when they're just a little to the right and below a floating stage(like final d), you hit them up and to the left so fast that they bounce off the bottom of the stage(since they probably couldn't tech fast enough), and send the plummeting in a spike like state. In other words, stone is great for stage spiking =].

I've managed to pull it off a few times. But like final cutter, it's a bit situational.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Kirby´s Dair work great against chars who don´t get much vertical height from their recovery (DK, Bowser) since even if you knock them only slightly down they can easily become unable to return. It also sometimes works against fastfallers for the same reason.

About stone spike: I´ve never seen that happen, so I don´t think that it spikes. And off topic: the funniest way to kill enemy with "spike" is to Up-b him when both of you are off the stage, killing both you and him.
i actually get some really low percent kills with dair... i think the key is to dair them until your in the bubble off the bottom of the screen so they dont even get to use their recovery at all while you can float all the way back up to the stage. basically the spike is mostly kirby pushing them down with his body and then the last kick pushes them extra far away
last saturday i believe i killed a metaknight player at about 50% by spiking him off the bottom... he still won though :( i need to learn metaknight matchup lol

oh and final cutter spike is **** on floating platform stages like delfino and halberd. if you seem them trying to come up through the platform you can time your cutter to hit them just as they poke their heads up and instant death... i havnt tried this but i think an awsome combo would be to spit someone under halberd/delfino and upb so you land back on the platform and spike them at the same time :) still spiking through the floor obviously works better on specific characters like snake i dunno i guess this is offtopic and more about counterpicking stages lol most people dont go through the middle of the floor anyways :ohwell: still just putting that out there

Top Bottom