• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Fox have any inherent weakness? (not a joke topic)

APImagine

Smash Apprentice
When I say weakness, I mean a set character or couple of characters who really give him trouble.

Battousai X

Smash Apprentice
As far as my knowledge goes, fox and falco are really weak to donkey kong, since they fall very fast.

A good Dk user should be able to atleast 2 stock a fox or falco user

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Fox has an inherent weakness to Falco and Marth on Final Destination. Marth can combo Fox just as well as DK can, but his grab is much faster and longer-ranged.

Falco's lasers and combos make things tough with no platforms, also.

On other stages its mostly even.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Fox is a very straightforward character with very few weaknesses. His fastfalling is more of a strength than a weakness, but it is difficult to shorthop with him, and some people find SHFFLing hard.

3GOD

Smash Ace
His main weakness is his light weight. Also, he is edgeguarded relatively easily.

APImagine

Smash Apprentice
What's Fox's ratio when it comes to offensive and defensive capabilities? An example of this would be a character who is, let's say, and I'm talking very generally here, 70% offensive and 30% defensive. This is just out of curiosity.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Fox's recovery isn't bad at all for the fact he has a fast horizontally recovery and the abilily to come in from below or at many angles...but a BIG strength is that if he ledgetechs from the up-b, he can over-b immediately then proceed with his counter ****.

Most characters don't have the luxury of that sort of option after ledgeteching.

im2emo4myshrt

Smash Apprentice
What's Fox's ratio when it comes to offensive and defensive capabilities? An example of this would be a character who is, let's say, and I'm talking very generally here, 70% offensive and 30% defensive. This is just out of curiosity.
well it all depends on the type of fox you play. You could be a super aggressive shffling fox who relies mostly on foxes offensive abilities. Or you can play a shl fox who plays a more defensive controlling type game. Fox can be extremely offensive or extremely defensive.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I suppose by sucks you mean COMPLETELY BLOODY PWNS

Lillight3, trolling here is not advised, It is illegal to say any other down b is better than foxes on these boards. go to the roy boards, they welcome it.

A down b that turns you into a **** isn't cool.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I wouldn't worry too much about it, you've probably got the best answers you can get out of this topic considering the much better topics made, like the counter thread scotu spoke of.

takieddine

Smash Master
Fox IMO has no counters, and should be at least even with any given character.

That is not to say that a combination of a character+stage couldn't give him trouble, but fox still has an answer to anything.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
umm i think jiggs doc and marth players would beg to disagree.
That's bacause their edgeguarding is too good.

Imo the only characters that fox has a hard time with are: Falco,Marth,Peach,Samus,Sheik,ICs and a good C.falcon shouldn't be understimated also any character that can CG fox basicly **** him those are the low tiers, for example roy, luigi, DK,Pika, etc. the rest is more likely in fox favor or it's just even so you've got to use your hands and your brain and that's all.

Bailey

Smash Hero
Fox has an inherent weakness to Falco and Marth on Final Destination. Marth can combo Fox just as well as DK can, but his grab is much faster and longer-ranged.

Fox ***** Marth on FD. WTF is a CG

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Fox ***** Marth on FD. WTF is a CG
I'm surprised to hear that from someone as reputable as you. We all know Marth's CG (chain grab) can wreck havoc to fox, but fox's combos are more devastating to marth on FD than anywhere else as well. In addition to his lasers being god. I'd still have to say that Marth's got the advantage on FD though, because of the CG, and the edgeguard (no platforms).

Raikou-

Smash Apprentice

Fox does better against Falco on FD than anywhere else IMO.

takieddine

Smash Master
If you can't DI for crap, then yes the CG will **** you.

mix up your DI and you can be sure to shine out of it early.

Fox shouldn't get grabbed in the first place...

jamminjohn

Smash Ace
If you're playing someone with good spacing and cross ups it's hard to shield grab.

Fox's weaknesses are his light weight and that he's a fast faller (also a strength). Easy to combo and to knock back. Though his fast fall slightly helps his vertical survivability, it's still not that hard.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
If you can't DI for crap, then yes the CG will **** you.

mix up your DI and you can be sure to shine out of it early.

Fox shouldn't get grabbed in the first place...
Technically, marth should never be grabbed either then if that's the case. And any marth who's got a lot of practice can do a good number with CGs. M2K being the prime example, but there are lots of other marth's out there that can see which direction you're DIing then deal with it. It isn't entirely that hard.

Arabi

Smash Rookie
Read Cunningkitsune's Guide to playing with Fox. Basically, at a high enough technical level and with sufficient mindgames, Fox has an answer to most characters. Its really stage dependent as well. Some people may mention DK and Jiggs as counters, but I think with an appropriate change of style, Fox can easily handle those characters. Climbers are also mentioned, but I think the shine, uair, and bair can really mess up the Climbers. Fox's firefox recovery is pretty predictable, so its easy to edgeguard Fox. Also, some characters (like Marth) can **** Fox with changrabs. I would say that the characters I least like facing as Fox are a really good Marth, Peach, or Samus.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
true dat @ marth, peach, sheik. Jiggs can deal some good countering, but remember, on a change of stage, they might also be changing characters. A set is really about you vs them, not one character vs another.

Arabi

Smash Rookie
Shiek is annoying to play (especially on Battlefield). Her needles really screw you over if you are thrown off the edge. However, shine combos totally **** Shiek along with Fox's u-air. Shiek, along with Falcon and Ganondorf are characters that I don't mind fighting as Fox. Obviously, you can't take anything for granted, but I think a good Fox has the advantage in those match-ups.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Taken out of the winners bracket at a recent tourney by one. I then played friendlies with him for several hours afterard.

Top Bottom