• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Dash-A have some potential?

Chris is me

Smash Apprentice
Yo, it's my first thread so bear with me. I've been looking through the sticky and stuff and I noticed that there wasn't a mention of dash-a. I'm no pro, but I mean it seems like if you punish someone who's in lag or after a trip or something with it, you can uair, nair, or knee them out of it sometimes. The knockback is just a little bit up and forward, kinda like the dthrow, which makes it seem handy. Then again, it's pretty much the easiest thing ever to shield grab, so it's not too useful on anything not crippled. Still, it seems at least somewhat useful now to start some air "combos" (though there's of course no hitstun). What do you guys think?

Mann

Smash Ace
Dash attack has been always far more useful to me than his Dthrow on most characters to hit them with aerials on most occasions. Yes sir, your options can be Uairs, Nairs, and knees. Or hell, even another dash attack on some. Or a hyphen-smash. Or a raptor boost. etc. etc. Yes, it can be shield grabbed like hell. But that's why trying to approach with it isn't always the great idea.

If you really wanted to utilize this, going to have to figure out how far knock backs are at certain %'s on different characters.

Chris is me

Smash Apprentice
I tried it on Training a bit with a few guys and the knockback at different percents for Ike and Falco being pretty much the same at most percentages (as in Ike 30% ~= Ike 80%). If I'm wrong and it starts really small then you could Raptor Boost into Uair at small percents. I'll do more formal testing tonight or tomorrow if people want.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I find the dash attack to be pretty useful. It attacks pretty much instantly, having no start up time, and sends them up at a good angle. I usually use it to hit an opponent as they attempt to land, so that I can use aerials on them some more. It's also good to throw in every now and then as an approach, especially if your opponent is used to you trying to grab, Falcon Kick, or Raptor Boost.

Just don't spam it, because it's really easy to shield grab, as you said. Try to use it on people as they land, because that's when they're usually at their most vulnerable position.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Note: If your location is really inside Captain Falcon's Knee, could you do something to fix it? lol Just wondering.

On topic: I actually use Running A a LOT. It's one of very few ground Falcon moves that I'm comfortable using whenever I need it. If you get grabbed, oh well. There's much worse things in Smash. The upside of the Running A is a lot bigger than the downside of it, and that's why I like it so much.

Edit: Like Reaver said, don't spam it. But you can definitely use it fairly often without being punished too hard for it. Pretty much just be smart with it and you'll do well. lol

Reaver197

Smash Lord
It honestly is sort of windmill of furyish. I've racked up sick damage between dash attacking, utilting, uairing, then dash attacking again as they try to land. lol.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
lol I loved the music in that YouTube video that that thread Mann posted has.

I just wish that Falcon didn't slow down when he did his Running A. It would be nice if he sped up like Ganondorf and Samus drastically do now. Oh well it's still a good move.

Mann

Smash Ace
Actually, to be honest, his Dash attack is one of his best moves as it's easier to Uair right after.

lol I loved the music in that YouTube video that that thread Mann posted has.

I just wish that Falcon didn't slow down when he did his Running A. It would be nice if he sped up like Ganondorf and Samus drastically do now. Oh well it's still a good move.
Yes, because of that I've been Forward smash'd by a lot of people when spamming dash attacks if I'm not too careful. Timing, mindgames, spacing.

Because I work/go to school, I don't have a lot of time playing. So my baby bro usually beats my Falcon when he's Peach/Kirby. He got pissed at me spamming my dash attacks until he got passed 100% into Uairs. Maybe it should be helpful into bringing Falcon up there. Seriously, if you read through some of the posts in the Samus Windmill of Fury, you'll notice how many people doubted, and how many people found it useful.

Of course it's punishable. But it's annoying as hell to the opponent if they got hit by the same attack over and over.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Falcon's dash attack is, like others have already said, pretty useful. For the obvious reason of getting shield grabbed, i don't dash attack with any character very often. For some odd reason though, i rarely get shield grabbed when i use falcon's dash attack.

And agreed topic creator, his dash attack leads to some nice aerial combos.

Chris is me

Smash Apprentice
I tried, but CFalcon told me that Nintendo was trying to nerf him by force feeding him every Turnip ever thrown by Peach. Of course, being as manly as Falcon he managed to keep the weight off, but had no time to fix his Knee. Oh well. By the way, every time you miss a sweetspot he smashes me in the head, so please don't unless you're getting someone rocked.

Oh yeah, the Dash A... I keep thinking of new little things I do without noticing as I use it. Sometimes when I want to approach with it, instead or running straight in I'll ESH air dodge back a bit, then dash and dash-a right away to give the appearance of an nair for a split second. Sometimes works, but at least it's not just running straight in asking to be hit with anything at all.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Yeah, you pretty much want the opponent in a position where they will not expect or can't do anything about a very quick, almost instant, attack when you use your dash attack. This is probably a move where Falcon's pretty good run speed will help quite a bit in keeping pace with your opponent.

Medic

Smash Cadet
I very much enjoy his dash-A because of the fact that it is rarely defended against. Oftentimes, I will either go into a punching fury, quickly followed by rolling back and grabbing them after they attempt to grab me, throwing them to the side and then Up-airing them. Then again, my tactics change a lot, but that particular combo is a favorite of mine.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Dash attack-->Knee is actually my favourite setup for the knee.

Oh that and dtilt->Knee :D
You know, i've actually found that Dash attack>uair>knee is one of the better setups for the knee.

Could just be me though, but i tend to go for that.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
You can't combo into knee after uair.
No but it is a viable follow-up against a large percentage of players. Honestly most people are aggressive enough that they will try to hit you instead of air dodging to safety and even if they do go the air dodge route you can usually get a Bair in on them right after they are done dodging. Honestly Brawl is all about mindgames and predicting where your opponent is going to go. This is especially true for Falcon because it's not like in Melee where you can simply outplay your opponent to win, it's now that you have to outplay AND out-think your opponent to win. If anyone ever wins a major Brawl tournament with Falcon I will be the first to proclaim them to be BY FAR the best Smash player ever. Because seriously, you have to be a significantly better player than your opponent to win a Falcon vs. Pit/Meta/Pika/Marth/Olimar/etc. matchup.

Mr.Trite

Smash Apprentice
Yea DDDD: Everyone I play Falcon against expects a knee whenever I knock them into the air though so its getting harder and harder to land them.

Uair->knee doesnt combo but then again neither does dash attack->knee =\

Sh1n0b1

Smash Journeyman
His Dash Attack is actually surprisingly useful, but its not that useable because its very easily shield grabbed. For some reason whenever i play as falcon no one ever tries to shield my dash attack. Maybe because no one really expects it.

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
...Because seriously, you have to be a significantly better player than your opponent to win a Falcon vs. Pit/Meta/Pika/Marth/Olimar/etc. matchup.
Or, you could pick the dumbest, most annoying and stupid stage (i.e. Green Hill Zone), and take two of his stock with the mother****ing checkpoint.:)

God, I hate that stage. Key, next time you pick that place I'm going to fly over to Florida and knee you in the face.

Metaphorically, of course.

:)

Iwan

Smash Ace
Agreed^

also, a few people have said that opponents tend to not shield grab as often when it's C. Falcon's dash attack. lol...that's so true. I think it has something to do with the quickness of it? Maybe? lol.

As for the knee, i tend to use it as a counter. If i predict someones smash move, and they're stuck in the animation (see: standing still, lol), i'll throw a knee to their face :p. But against air born opponents? They'll air dodge 95 percent of the time. Still, the knee does have its uses.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The Dash attack sucks. It simply sucks less than other things Falcon can do.

It does have the advantage of no starting lag, and decent range + OK knockback. However like almost everything else Falcon can do, if it gets shielded, you get punished. At least, I have found the attack fairly punishable.

The Dash attack is better than using an aerial attack or the Raptor Boost to approach persay. =/

Iwan

Smash Ace
The Dash attack sucks. It simply sucks less than other things Falcon can do.

It does have the advantage of no starting lag, and decent range + OK knockback. However like almost everything else Falcon can do, if it gets shielded, you get punished. At least, I have found the attack fairly punishable.

The Dash attack is better than using an aerial attack or the Raptor Boost to approach persay. =/
It doesn't suck lol...but you do have to pick and choose it, because as you pointed out, it's most definitely punishable.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Personally me, I'm getting to the point where I think the Falcon Kick is actually the best approach Falcon has at this point. It doesn't get shieldgrabbed easily because it goes really far and fast, and has LOW ENDING LAG. 13% isn't bad in terms of damage either.

But anyhow so many characters have better Dash attacks than Falcon. =/

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Or, you could pick the dumbest, most annoying and stupid stage (i.e. Green Hill Zone), and take two of his stock with the mother****ing checkpoint.:)

God, I hate that stage. Key, next time you pick that place I'm going to fly over to Florida and knee you in the face.

Metaphorically, of course.

:)
LOL You just have sour grapes because I won an intense match. The checkpoint thing is strategy anyways, everyone knows that. ;)

Chances are you'd miss the sweetspot if you came here and kneed me in the face. :p

Revolutionary1804

Smash Apprentice
Personally me, I'm getting to the point where I think the Falcon Kick is actually the best approach Falcon has at this point. It doesn't get shieldgrabbed easily because it goes really far and fast, and has LOW ENDING LAG. 13% isn't bad in terms of damage either.

But anyhow so many characters have better Dash attacks than Falcon. =/
i have to completely disagree. if your going to approach with something do it with a neutral air but if you ahve to stay on the floor, might as well dash, falcon kick is too slow.

Raptor boost is the best way to get back on stage. it spikes when it lands and with the new magnet hands in brawl there very high chance of grabbing the ledge.

Iwan

Smash Ace
i have to completely disagree. if your going to approach with something do it with a neutral air but if you ahve to stay on the floor, might as well dash, falcon kick is too slow.

Raptor boost is the best way to get back on stage. it spikes when it lands and with the new magnet hands in brawl there very high chance of grabbing the ledge.
hahaha....magnet hands...so true.

Top Bottom