• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Anyone Else Miss It?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
What I mean by that, is the hype. The hype from waiting for Brawl back in 2007-2008.

Now, I'm sure this topic has been overdone before, many times, but lately, I've been trying to get back into the Smash groove. I try to, but the excitement just isn't there anymore, and I see this reflecting in the boards (Understandably), being less active and vibrant than they were before or right after Brawl's release.

From November 2007-March 2008, Brawl was probably the most exciting thing in my life at the time. I followed it, just like everyone else on the boards, checking the Dojo every day, joining the groups of the characters I supported (Long live the Pikmen!) and just really being a part of the experience.

Before November, I wasn't even aware of the competitive Smash scene, and, upon finding it, was very excited about the following I had found. I started playing Melee more frquently, and learning how to L-cancel and Wavedash (That's what I spent alot of Christmas 08' doing, finally perfecting the techniques wth good 'ol Gannydorf.)

I spent alot of each day that year on Smashboards, along with most of my friends wo I had managed to hype up just as much. (Don't worry, I did fine in school that year, also making it a great year (Junior Year) )

I followed the Dojo, always checking it in the morning, and then, one day, it happened, and Olimar was announced, probably the one final thing I felt Brawl needed, and when I saw that, I essentially almost..well..yeah. And, that day, everything that could go perfectly went perfect. Best day ever.

It was the best year of my life thus far, and the hype and speculation and all of that really made it that way.

It makes me sad that the late 08'ers and 09'ers didn't get to experience this, and I wonder if anyone is with me on these feelings?

And I think the one way to fix this would be to have Smash 4 announced, but, its a pipe dream right now, and won't happen probably for a few more years.

:(

tocador

Smash Lord
The smash scene just slowed down after the big hype it had.

2010 is going to get hyped again with all the big champs and with the new TL with diddy on 1 spot.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I remember going on Dojo everyday to see if they kept Falco and Falcon.

I miss the hype, but the day when I bought was better than any gaming day, tied with Ratchet and Clank.

For now, Smash Bros. in general is just chillin'. I intend on cooling the my Wii down for a few months.

j.rob

Smash Apprentice
Awww man I miss that as well. The feeling of waking up every morning and loading up the dojo and seeing the update was good times. Then going to school after and talking to my mates about it.

I remember waiting.....and waiting......and waiting for Captain Falcon to be shown lol.
And the face I pulled when I saw Pokemon Trainer haha.
And thinking to myself "Im SOOOO gona main him" when I saw Olimar.
And getting goosebumps when I saw the "This World" update.
And almost crying when I listened to the beautiful music samples.
And the rumors and speculation that appeared on the board pretty much EVERYDAY which got me hyped up even more.

Man I miss the updates.....SOOOO MUCH HYPE! I don't think I was ever hyped up for a game so much in my life...I actually felt devastated when I heard the game was delayed by 500 years for the uk. lol.

In my eyes only Smash Bros can do this....

Scott!

Smash Lord
I wasn't on the boards till Brawl came out, but I remember the hype. Not here, but with the few of my friends who were looking forward to it as much as me. I resisted checking the updates every night for a while, that whole summer before, because I didn't want to have it consume everything forever, but when my friend told me about PT and Diddy being confirmed months before, I had to go look, and then I was checking every night at 2 AM before bed (college ftw) for the updates. I remember the days Dedede and the ICs were announced, all the random useless updates, the heartbreak of the delays, and Sonic. Good times, gooood times. I never got so hyped for a game before, and I doubt it'll ever reach that level again.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Oh yeah the hype was awsome. I remember on my birthday either Snake was announced or Shadow Moses Island was revealed as a stage. I couldn't wait to check the update each day.

The thing I remember most though was getting upset about Brawl getting pushed back to February 10th when it was suppose to be out on December 3rd or something like that. Then it got pushed back to March 9th. During the whole month of February I was hoping everyday that when I checked the Dojo that Brawl wouldn't get pushed back any further.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Haha I only joined Smash when Brawl came out.

But my friends and I were casual meleers that just got competitive with each other. We hyped up Brawl between us so much.

I miss smashboards around July and November. Got quiet after that.

Top Bottom