• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Does anyone else dislike the Ocarina of time/Twighlight princess fanbase?

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
They are like the nazi's of the Zelda community if a zelda game is cartoony/2D it isn't worth playing, Watch the new zelda get criticism because of its cartoon graphics. other than link looking like a girl...

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
First of all, it's unfair and inaccurate to generalize people who form these criticisms as fans of OoT/TP. I am a huge TP fan (less so of OoT, but as a general Zelda fan I would have to put myself in that category to some extent) and I'm still a huge fan of ALttP and WW, among other 2D/"cartoony" games. These people exist in the fanbase, but every single fanbase has people who complain unfairly about problems that aren't real. Instead of labeling it as the TP/OoT fanbase, it's better to label it as the people who hate on things that they don't personally enjoy, or write things off for silly reasons before they give them a chance. This is about the attitude people have, not the games they like.

Also, of course the new Zelda is going to get criticism, and some part of it will probably be because of its graphics. Just like any fanbase -- though, particularly true with Zelda, it seems -- there's always going to be some part of the fanbase that finds a reason to hate on the new game and talk about how great their favorite is. It happened with WW, with TP, with SS (I guess, I don't remember hearing as much for it though), and it's going to happen here.

Unrelated to your actual point, comparing people who dislike a certain type of game to a group that has killed a lot of people is an extremely exaggerated simile.

I'm going to let this play out and see where the thread goes but I see a lot of potential for this to devolve to bickering or worse. Keep discussion civil.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
never had many issues with the Zelda fan base so no not particularly

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
First, please try to avoid calling people Nazis for no reason. It never ends well. Second, the Zelda fanbase is notoriously unpleasable, I'd argue even worse than the Smash fanbase, if you lurk on Zelda forums enough. It's not fair to generalize fans of Ocarina/TP as being universally against cartoony/2d Zeldas since it's not true. Some Zelda fans only like realistic artstyles, but they're not the only ones who bash other Zeldas for rather trivial reasons. Third, it's practically a requirement as a Zelda fan to trash whatever major 3D game happens to be the newest, then later come around and realize every Zelda is a good game in its own special way.
Except Skyward Sword. That game is garbage.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I'm sorry but I'm going to be that guy it`s not graphics it`s art style
but i think it's the other way around now i don't see TP getting a whole lot of love and as for OOT well that game is just overrated by nostalgia. im seeing a whole lot of WW fans now

Last edited:

Japsy

Banned via Warnings
They are like the nazi's of the Zelda community if a zelda game is cartoony/2D it isn't worth playing, Watch the new zelda get criticism because of its cartoon graphics. other than link looking like a girl...
lmao

MirrorTael

Smash Cadet
Heh I've got to admit, I kind of fall into that category. This is only because I fell in love with Ocarina, and then E3 released all those trailers showing the next Zelda for the Gamecube. Those awesome-looking trailers. And then Wind Waker was released and I was like ummm what? This is not what you showed us. And then TP came out and I was like, ahh that's what it was supposed to be. And then I skipped Skyward Sword because I did not dig the art-style. But as a Zelda fan, I would never bash the titles that used cel-shading and the like. I am positive Wind Waker and Skyward Sword were every bit as good as everyone raved about it and I would never knock those games. I didn't realize the upcoming Zelda would have cartoony graphics though :( Not that this makes it bad game, just one I'd be a little less interested in.

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
PoT is my favorite game ever, but Wind Waker is still my second favorite Zelda game. Please don't stereotype a whole fan base by a few people. I love the Wind Waker art style.

greatbernard

Smash Apprentice
The TP/OOT fans tend to be the people who say that those are the best games in the series, yet they've only played 5 games in the series (the 3D console entries).

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
m8 Majora's best game n00bs

On a serious note: people who believe that those are the best games are entitled to their opinion, as you are yours. If they refuse to grow up and stop telling you what to believe, then it is up to you to be the adult and move past it. I'll defend Majora's till' I die because it is MY favourite Zelda game; I will not tell someone what to think of it, though.

greatbernard

Smash Apprentice
By the way, if it is your personal opinion that TP and/or OOT are the best, that's totally fine. I might not agree with it, but I respect it.

The only problem I have are with people who haven't even played half of the Zelda games yet assert that OOT is the best one.

the8thark

Smash Lord
The Ocarina fanbase is totally different to the TP fanbase. People like the two games for two totally different reasons. You can't lump both intot he fame bucket.
For me Ocarina had a great story but graphics wise aged very badly. TP on the other hand had a garbage story, but gameplay and graphics, the game aged very well.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Twilight Princess is in my top 3 Zelda games, and so is Wind Waker, lol. Both are like polar opposites in terms of "cartoony graphics" yet both were absolutely incredible games to me. If someone tosses an opportunity at playing a Zelda game out the window for having graphics which don't appeal to them, then that is their very unfortunate loss. Gameplay >>> graphics, any day.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I do think those people are a vocal minority. TP and OoT are great games for sure (my personal top 3 is MM, TP and WW), but there's people who only think "OoT iz da best duh" and "TP wow so mature".

Despite my favorites Zeldas being the two "dark games", I actually enjoyed SS or ALBW as well. Even Spirit Tracks, but that's maybe because it reminds me some great vacations :p All Zelda games have their pro and cons, but they are all awesome. Even the CD-I, but because the cinematics are awesomely bad.

finalark

SNORLAX
I don't think I've actually met anyone with this opinion since '07 at latest. Maybe ten years ago this was more commonplace but today WW is one of the most well-liked games in the series.

As someone whose favorite LoZ game is WW, complaining about people hating on Wind Waker in 2014 is like Final Fantasy IX fans calling FFIX underrated even though its one of the most unanimously liked games in the series.

Himynameisisaac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Himynameisisaac
Why is it that the Zelda fanbase choose to part off into little "groups" and have "turf wars" if you will claiming that their favorite game is the best in the series and so on? I guess since I'm a fan of both TP and OoT I' should be disliked? Even if I like other games such as Link's Awakening, Skyward Sword and A Link to the Past? What I'm trying to say is i dont understand why the Zelda fanbase choose to argue within each other. Why not come together and just love the series for what it is? :ohwell::joyful:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I have no idea what the OP is talking about. Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker and Skyward Sword all have vastly different artstyles but I like them all almost equally.

Twilight Princess is my favorite but it has little to do with the graphics. They suck now. XD

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Honestly, I see more hate towards something like TP because it's too much like OOT (which I kinda have to agree on that). I have no idea what you're talking about personally. Every fandom is like this anyway, so there's no need to call someone a Nazi because they treat a game with a different artstyle like dirt.

As much as I find OOT a good game for its time, I prefer WW myself (hence my username). The OOT fans do get on my nerves sometimes, but I usually just ignore them & not let their opinions bother me. It's best to just do this & not cause any problems.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Godwin's Law hit the thread before we even commented. Anyways, I definitely know that TP fans isn't full of "Nazi-minded" people. Generally, people love the story, the gameplay, Midna the characters, and the concepts. Even OoT isn't that extreme, just quite critical on anything that came afterward. And thanks to Hyrule Warriors, it definitely simmer down the animosity of each other by a lot.

And yeah, maybe I didn't like WW due to the sea concept (I still don't like it to this day and will never like it) and some give me obvious remedies for it, but I still consider it a dull way of transportation. But I would be a fool to consider it a terrible game just because of it. It still has a good story/combat (ironically, WW's sword combat was a lot more fun for me than any Zelda game I played, even my huge favorite to TP)/characters/graphics (at the time)/music/etc. And all that negativity was gone when the HD remake was made and cure it even further.

So no OP, I have no idea what you're talking about. The fandom may have it's quirks, but not only it's not the only fandom that has few of it's little "battles", but it's a lot better off than most fandoms I seen (a grand example is Sonic).

Last edited:

OBI1JABLOMI

Smash Cadet
I liked Wind Waker and the sailing, but I think they should have made it into one giant ocean and have more islands with more stuff to do and have it so you can see islands in the distance from far away where as I believe you could only see Dragon Roost Island and the Tower of the Gods from long ditance in wind waker. I think it had something to do with the Gamecube not being powerful enough to generate a lot of landscape(draw distance?).

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I liked Wind Waker and the sailing, but I think they should have made it into one giant ocean and have more islands with more stuff to do and have it so you can see islands in the distance from far away where as I believe you could only see Dragon Roost Island and the Tower of the Gods from long ditance in wind waker. I think it had something to do with the Gamecube not being powerful enough to generate a lot of landscape(draw distance?).
I think that's right yeah. I'm pretty sure you could see more islands in the HD remake on the Wii U. I should know seeing as I just recently played it, but I honestly can't remember. 90% sure you could, though, which made it seem like you were in one giant viewable ocean.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Any self-respecting "The Legend of Zelda" fan will always appreciate any game, regardless of visuals. If The Wind Waker taught us anything, it's that realistic graphics do not a great game make. Of course, Twilight Princess with its more realistic tone was a pretty good entry in the series, if a bit too linear. Really, there's never been a bad main series Zelda game.

Personally, I'm very excited for the Wii U Zelda, and you can bet your last rupee that I will be there to play it on the day it's released.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Really, there's never been a bad main series Zelda game.
Skyward Sword.

Also, while it would be tough to make an argument about many games in the series being objectively bad, many convincing arguments could be made over the stale state of the series as a whole.

Rezbit

Smash Rookie
NNID
ShiKage
The only issue with anyone I have in the Zelda fanbase are those who go around saying crap like, "Majora's Mask is the best game to ever exist and you can't prove otherwise." Sure, the game is deep in the way you can interpret it, it has amazing dramatic themes throughout the game, and game play like no other, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best game in the world, much less the best Zelda title.

Besides, all of it is subjective opinion. It's the fact that they stroll around talking about it like it's fact that annoys me.

Typically, the comments like, "the graphics suck" or "it's too cartoony" come from gamers that are spoiled by how much the game industry focuses on high definition graphics than game play these days and not so much because Ocarina of Time had blood in it and Twilight Princess was the closest to a realistic Zelda (still far from it, with its unique art style).

As a subjective opinion, I think The Wind Waker currently has the best graphics of any Zelda game to date. It's just beautiful all around and thematically fits the Zelda series perfectly in my view. Skyward Sword's would be the top pick for me, but with the fact that a lot of its textures were just plain bad kind of ruins it. If it were more polished, I think it could've easily been top tier. When I think of a Zelda game, visually, I think of the A Link to the Past or Oracle of Seasons/Ages official art and wish a game would be like that.

Visualize it! A full game that looks exactly like this :

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
At the end of the day, no matter what we say or think about what the best Zelda game could or should be, it's all just personal opinions oftentimes fueled by nostalgia.

At least we can all agree that the debased and corrupted CD-i games were crap.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
The thread is talking about the communities of people who play those games, not the games themselves.
Sorry, went off track. Also why disliking the OoT/TP fanbase? Just because the fanboys don't like the cartoony/2D games? Just don't listen to them. Fanboys are not always worth listening anyways. They mostly cry things like "If you don't played Ocarina you didn't have childhood" or some unbased argument.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I do 'prefer' grittier more realistic settings in my games, hence why Twilight Princess is my favourite Zelda game (amoung other reasons of course) but I don't dislike the cartoony games either...Wind Waker is a solid Zelda title, my biggest complaint (besides the annoying fetch quest and tingle money grabbiness) is that I would've liked a couple more dungeons (Four main dungeons leaves a lot to be desired)...but the graphics are actually quite a nice change of pace though...

ALBW was a solid title as well, the graphics were actually pretty cool, the game felt almost like an ALttP remake but was still it's own game...

Zelda Wii U has a more cartoony look as well, though the characters appear more realistically styled the cell shading is a nice touch that improves upon what Skyward Sword had, which was one of my least favourite graphics styles in any Zelda game btw (discounting the low poly models from the original OoT and MM which couldn't be helped at the time)

The games style shouldn't really matter as it is just aesthetics, there is plenty more each Zelda game has to offer...

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Skyward Sword would have to be the best Zelda game, in my opinion. But Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time are still awesome Zelda games, though.

Last edited:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Nope. Don't generalize people. Both games are amazing, and I know tons of people who love both that love all games.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You're not alone OP, I feel they ruined the creative potential of Zelda.

D

Deleted member

Ocarina of Time is my favorite Zelda game, but I tend to not partake in the Zelda community in-general because in my experience, people are really serious and rude about others opinions.

I blame that more so that there isn't a proper Zelda venue where kindness is praised. If someone were to build a better Zelda forum with proper rules and respect, all Zelda opinions could be respected for all types of fans.

Top Bottom