• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone actually use the Up-B Cancel?

alcheato

Smash Ace
I recently started using the Up-B cancel consistently in my game, and after watching some videos of Caveman, S-Royal, Chester, Cyphus, and Captain Jack (lots of 'C' names, eh?) I realized none of them use it. I guess most of time when I use it it's to stop combos out of shield (like people do with Samus' up-b) and you don't need to cancel it to be effective but I do find it very useful near the ledges on fast fallers because it leaves me a perfect opportunity for some b-airs. Plus it nice to hear my friends be like "wtf?!" So does anyone actually use it regularly as part of their playing style or what? Some reasons why or why not would be good for discussion.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I don't use it because I can't. I haven't bothered to really sit down and learn it yet, but I'm sure if I did know it I would because it is prime to stop shine combos. Always good to pervent a shine combo.

EDIT: I also saw Smashmac use it in one of his matches against a Falco. Twas freaking hilarious. On that note, Smashmac. You should totally make a combo video.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
A smashmac combo vid would be sick nasty! If i could actually do up-b cancel i would use it out of shield for a sheild grab substitute.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it has the same lag as if Doc landed after a full up+b. I use it occasionally and there is some lag, even though he's still on the ground.

Apparently, he moves enough to make a dust cloud while still on the ground. Since he moves, but then cancels it, the game probably registers a hitbox followed by a immediate landing. That makes the most sense to me.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
they don't use it cause it's really hard to do, it's also not necessary and really doesn't do much, it doesn't hurt your game but it helps a little bit, it's more like an escape move, like outta the sheild if your sheild is getting *****

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
. . .

ya know. That is a good reason to use it, lol.

I've never really thought that far ahead cause I dont see shield rapers 'round my parts. (read: I'm the pillaring falco around here :/ )

That IS a good reason to use it, instead of opting to roll.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I don't use it because I can't. I haven't bothered to really sit down and learn it yet, but I'm sure if I did know it I would because it is prime to stop shine combos. Always good to pervent a shine combo.

EDIT: I also saw Smashmac use it in one of his matches against a Falco. Twas freaking hilarious. On that note, Smashmac. You should totally make a combo video.

I believe that's THIS VIDEO

I'm too lazy to learn to do this consistently.

edit: oh **** zhiz already posted it. oh well

Top Bottom