• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do your friends hate you when you play as Snake?

Sir_Psycho

Smash Apprentice
Mine do, and I was wondering if anyone else experienced the same type of thing with their friends. Every time I get Snake as a random pick, or when I rotate in and pick him--my friends groan and say things like "Here we go..." or "Watch your feet!!!" Naturally, I enjoy this whole situation as I find detonating C4 in the middle of two people having a battle or having someone accidentally run into a landmine is ridiculously fun. Do any of you guys experience this same harassment(friendly harassment, mind you) for your picking of Snake?

kevc

Smash Cadet
mine do too they keep saying how snake is so cheap all he does is camp n shoot missiles etc etc. n i usually win...and i do camp LOL

Greedful

Smash Rookie
"Stop running away and shielding into Grenades it's cheap and unfair."

"Be a man and come at me while I play air games as Mario and Diddy."

"Stop Missiling, it's almost impossible to dodge."

I've stopped planting mines and C4 just to even the playing fields, but come on! There's a reason I'm playing Snake and not Sonic or a Space Animal. Doesn't matter what character I pick, the fact that I can predict their oh-so-obvious rolling patterns (They can't tech and don't want to learn), irritates them to no end. Seriously if my internet wasn't so bad I'd play online all day.

Killer-Spades

Smash Rookie
no not really...although i do play mind games with everyone, i'll lay a mine or C4 and a few minutes later everyone will forget were they are then BOOM! i just love his range, especially when your below your opponents and their fighting right on top of you and you smash up and BOOM! BANG! POW!

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
Yes. It started out as mostly inaudible mumbled complaints and irritated facial expressions when I chose Snake, but it slowly evolved into exaggerated sighs, questioning of Snake's sexual preference, questioning of my sexual preference, and synchronized end-of-game comments about how stupid/lame/imbalanced/annoying Snake is.

In fact, most of my friends have abandoned all of the large characters and started playing short characters lately, although they all claim that it has nothing to do with Snake having a hard time hitting small characters. Right. It's odd that before Snake can finish saying "It's show time" at the character selection screen, everyone has changed their character choices and picked either Toon Link, Pikachu, or Olimar, regardless of how proficient they are with those characters. :/

tsl

Smash Apprentice
Read through page 59 of the "Official Snake Discussion Thread" to see my epic posts on evil things to do with Snake in FFA. Your friends WILL hate you when you use these tactics.

Rangles

Smash Rookie
I named every one of snakes attacks some form of "trick" (tricky mortar, tricky slide) and my friends have come to call mines/c4 tricks.

So whenever I pick snake SOMEONE will groan and say "mother ****ing tricky snake".

Feels good.

Snack

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrSnackMan
Not really, but that's probably because most of the friends I know use Snake at least a few times along the line or got accustomed to the things he can do.

Though I'll admit if someone else is using Snake it can be a bit annoying to have your opponent on the ropes and have a stray Nikita nail him, taking your kill. Nothing too major though.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
they hate on my Olimar WAY more, lol. But yeah the quote of the day for snake was,
"Where did THAT, no not that THAT come from?!"

Sytilac

Smash Rookie
Lol My friends hate when I use snake too. Well actually one likes fighting him since he uses Link

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Sorry but your friends must suck if they say that. Whenever I play my friends and I missile them they either air dodge or Shine/Cape/Pit's Shield it back to me.

And out of all the tricks I use against my friends, they hate the C4 and Mortar Slide the most simply because they hate being forced into a corner only to be tossed up and blown up.

Trizzy

Smash Cadet
I don't have any friends. And I don't play Snake. But if I did, and also had friends, sometimes I like to imagine that they might hate it...

No, but seriously, Snake can be very annoying sometimes. A good Snake will put the fear of God in you every time you approach.

My brother said this after playing a decent Snake, "Ahhh, so now I know how you're supposed to play Snake in Brawl. Just like you do in Metal Gear. You just sneak around like an @$$hole blowing $hit up and pretending like no one sees you."

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
When I play Snake against my brothers, it always ends up with one of them quiting (always my older brother) and shouting at me because of how he perceives Snake to be so "cheap."

The other one just doesn't play me at all. But that's not new, so meh.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
I think casual players have a much harder time against Snake. My friends don't complain because they are smart enough to avoid my traps and fast enough to avoid my arials. MetaKnight, Zelda, and Wolf are among Snake's worst matchups (for me, at least), and my friends play them well and frequently.

Sir_Psycho

Smash Apprentice
It's quite amusing when my friends are angry at my choice of Snake because they know they can't use him as well as I can, and they always say, "How are you good with that [random expletive or insult]?!" And I always respond by saying that I know how to get in their heads as Snake. About this point at least one of them gets borderline paranoid and is like, "DUDE you're not in my head Snake is just annoying--AM I RIGHT GUYS?!?" For this reason I say Snake is the official character of causing your friends to experience psychological trauma.

Wolfgang457

Smash Journeyman
Snake is one of my two best characters but I usually play random for things like FFA's which I always win as Snake. So if I happen to get him they'll usually go like, "Oh ****, he got one of his good ones." This is about as far as it goes though since nearly all of my friends likes using Snake for random explosive shenanigans every so often. :laugh: They don't complain about him for 1v1's but you usually hear a lot of "Where the **** did that come from?!"

ToastMAN

Smash Journeyman
Ha, my buddys just hate snake after playing me, its pretty funny...

If it wasnt for Smooth Criminal I wouldnt even have mained him

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Meh after my friends got through with crying about Snake, they changed their mains and started playing as him. Can't beat 'em, join 'em eh?

bleh. wannabes.

saud

Smash Lord
In FFA we play with smash balls on. A friend of mine also plays as Snake, and most of the times, we get the smash ball....the rest fo our friends got sick of Snake's final smash :p

I love sticking an enemy, and then flee from him so he goes and attacks the others/knock him to the others and watch as the c4 moves around and then randomly detonate it :)

Best of all when a rob had the smash ball and i detonated the c4 before he got to use it and he died.

So yeah, they whine a lot, calling Snake too cheap etc...and my friend and I keep telling them to try out Snake, and see if they can play by him easilly and pull off what we do first and then talk. And so they did....but since it was their first time...they had difficulties :p

They still hate it when we play by Snake though :p

distr0ia

Smash Apprentice
oh yes, Snake is the undisputed master of mayhem. I played him a lot in some anything goes FFA's yesterday and was happy with the overall results

that being said, my friends now do a double-take when they hear the word "Now!"

limitbreak

Smash Ace
I think they hate when I do my dash attack and quickly upsmash it. That has to be pretty annoying.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
My friends don't really get annoyed because they all play competitively as well, so they know to look out for traps when I play as Snake. So my friends don't get annoyed when I play as him.

LukewarmHoliday

Smash Cadet
my friend who mains marth now(to counter snake since he cant with any other character) used to always get the upperhand by knocking me into the air and punishing me till i hit the ground. really helped me time airdodges much better and now whenever he tries it i try to slip a C4 on him just to make him feel more uneasy approaching me. (one match i actually got it on him 3 times >_>) Also his brother mains ice climbers and hates how i always have an easy time separating the ice climbers.(something i'm going to use as a basis for my sig pic because i got a quite comical picture of snake tackling popo away from nana while kicking nana in the face)

DrakeFreedom

Smash Cadet
"Stop running away and shielding into Grenades it's cheap and unfair."

"Be a man and come at me while I play air games as Mario and Diddy."

I've stopped planting mines and C4 just to even the playing fields, but come on! There's a reason I'm playing Snake and not Sonic or a Space Animal. Doesn't matter what character I pick, the fact that I can predict their oh-so-obvious rolling patterns (They can't tech and don't want to learn), irritates them to no end. Seriously if my internet wasn't so bad I'd play online all day.
amen brotha

PraKirJaq

Smash Journeyman
I don't really play snake at all, but I will say that I absolutely hate some of my newbier friends playing as Snake. Why?

Let's just say I learned that C4s do indeed harm your teammates regardless of friendly fire the very same day we played together.

Top Bottom