• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think Smash will ever have any real competition?

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Crazy how you discredit the 18+ years of competitive Smash history that spanned all the games.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yes.

If Capcom ever decides to get their heads out of their asses and do a standalone crossover.

So... no I guess you're right, never.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
PlayStation All Stars, duh.

Being serious though, I don't think another company stands a chance at making a crossover fighting game with similar mechanics to that of Smash unless they pulled their **** together (Capcom/Bamco/Sega) or had to twist some arms and licensing to get there (Microsoft and a few others).

ZeusExMachina

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
I think playstation all stars isn’t the closest we’ve come to a game like smash, but that’s Cartoon Network one had sooo much potential, especially at the time of release, I think if PlayStation tried again using some of the characters we have now that we didn’t have before, it would be way more successful, but even if the game becomes as playable and competitive, I don’t think anything will ever come close to the culture and reputation smash has earned over the years

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Super Smash has two major factors contributing to its success:

1) Sakurai. He's not perfect, but his talent is extraordinary, and his drive is on another level. In a world of games that sometimes launch with less content and value than the previous game (often made up for with free updates months or years down the line), Sakurai pushes for each game to be bursting with content. It'd be easy to make the game fairly barebones with just a handful of modes. maybe a dozen stages, and a shorter list of characters, like most fighting-game releases nowadays, but Sakurai says no to all that and wants to make each game bigger and better than the last one. And it's not just the quantity, but the quality. The game is polished to a mirror sheen, with very few major bugs or technical issues. Again, how often does that happen nowadays?

2) Nintendo's cast. This is the more important one. My brother once started playing Brawlhalla a bit with his friends and tried to get me into it, but I could not care less because who are the characters in that game and why do they matter? No other game has a cast of that caliber. Playstation All-Stars attempted with what they could, but their cast isn't as well-known and diverse as Nintendo's. The Cartoon Network game also attempted, but because many of those series are effectively dead, it attracts much less attention. Both games also weren't nearly as polished or thoughtfully designed.

So unless a game can come along that has the quality, quantity, and cast like Smash, then no, nothing will compare.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Something giving Smash actual competition...never gonna happen. I notice some people saying Capcom/Sega/Namco could do it with their heads out their ***, but they can easily benefit from getting their content put in Smash instead (Smash benefits both Nintendo and 3rd Parties, so no point in them making their own crossover fighting game)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To quote a certain wormy friend, approximately never.

Between the success rate of the average Smash imitator and how actually pulling off its gameplay is harder than it looks, plus the tendency to use unmemorable original characters, I don't think we need to worry about the series being dethroned.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I was being Ironic about PS all stars by the way.
To be fair, PSAS's core mechanics were so what-were-they-thinking bad that it turned the mainstream off to the prospect of the franchise continuing. Shame that the developers tried to prioritize uniqueness over being actually enjoyable to play (which it is, but they're not even 1/16 of Smash's level).

Anyway, I do think a Shonen Jump platform fighter has the potential to seriously compete with Smash. If only they would hire a developer to really make it just half of Smash's level and neither half-assed like Battle Stadium DON or a small distraction like Jump Super Stars.

Yes.

If Capcom ever decides to get their heads out of their ***** and do a standalone crossover.

Why, though? Disregarding how lackluster CFE was, a Capcom roster by itself would feel incomplete.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Why, though? Disregarding how lackluster CFE was, a Capcom roster by itself would feel incomplete.
Because Capcom's the only company even close to having as star-studded a lineup as Nintendo does.

Considering they were able to make a game with just Streetfighter and X-men specifically, they have more than enough characters to put in.
I don't know what you would personally deem as "incomplete," but even a cursory glance at all the Capcom games and characters throughout their lineup would be more than enough fill up a roster.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Unlikely.

I can say without exaggeration that Smash is the biggest crossover in gaming history. It is very improbable that something will come out now to make some real competition for it.

I can think of two other series that come close to that though: Kingdom Hearts and Marvel vs Capcom.

Yes.

If Capcom ever decides to get their heads out of their ***** and do a standalone crossover.

There's been some rumors floating around saying a Marvel vs Capcom 4 may be in the works. Would be awesome if that was actually true. That is a very good series and it didn't deserve what happened to it with Infinite.

Darches

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2105-9602-3489
I don't care about the cast much (I prefer playing games as myself), but I just don't think Brawlhalla matches up.
... Does nobody care about Dissidia 012? Turn off assists and that game is as good as Smash IMO. Better balanced, at least. Not to mention 3D that works and the battles look epic. If that were ported to Switch with online multiplayer, I'd [REDACTED].

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I remember being excited when they announced Ninja Turtles Smash up, but then the roster focused only on the early 2000 series and they wasted several character slots on rabbids.

If they had given us characters from EVERY version of Ninja Turtles, the old comics, the 80s toon, the modern toon, some of the weird action figures that were never actually in anything ... well, it still wouldn't live up to Smash Levels, but it would at least be a noticable threat to them.

I think that's generally the direction you want to go if you want to compete with Smash. No other videogame company has the roster or characters to pull it off so don't go with videogame companies. Go for something like Cartoon Network Smash.

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
If it can be considered one, then no. Smash is the reason Nintendo gets their money.
Well if Smash is considered a fighting game then it's only real competition when it comes to raw sales is the NRS era Mortal Kombat games (counting Injustice as part of that series also kinda). But even then NU-MK only shifts around 4-5 million copies a game. A lot yes but when compared to the sales of games like Smash 4 or Ultimate its nothing. I mean Smash 4 did around 14 million (3ds and Wii U combined) and Ultimate is on its way to "Smash" that record.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
In terms of variety of recognizable characters then PlayStation was the closest in that aspect but PSASBR didn't go far. Capcom's characters may have the potential but I doubt they will ever try.

In terms of gameplay, still no but Rivals of Aether, slap city do come to mind but it will never get as much attention as Smash.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Until another fighter figures out how to make the game immediately accessible to casual gamers, non-fighting-game gamers, toddlers and parents all while also offering a deep one-on-one fighting game to foster a fervent competitive community, no.

Fighting games are popular, but in terms of sales, they're often fairly niche. It's that difficulty curve and limitation of "fighting game" that does that. Smash transcends that limitation in a way that is very hard to replicate-- as Playstation All-Stars proved.

Plus, as Diem Diem already pointed out, Nintendo just has the icons that others don't. Even if someone made an objectively better Smash game, unless it has Mario, Link and Pikachu on the cover, it will inevitably sell less, guaranteed.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just wait until Smash Bros x Street Fighter

or Smash Bros x Shonen Jump

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I remember being excited when they announced Ninja Turtles Smash up, but then the roster focused only on the early 2000 series and they wasted several character slots on rabbids.

If they had given us characters from EVERY version of Ninja Turtles, the old comics, the 80s toon, the modern toon, some of the weird action figures that were never actually in anything ... well, it still wouldn't live up to Smash Levels, but it would at least be a noticable threat to them.

I think that's generally the direction you want to go if you want to compete with Smash. No other videogame company has the roster or characters to pull it off so don't go with videogame companies. Go for something like Cartoon Network Smash.
Funny story about that specific game; it was made by Game Arts, who participated on the development for Brawl.

I will say, it's a good thing GungHo acquired them, seeing as we're getting Grandia remakes nowadays, and GA wasn't doing too well by the mid-New Tens.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I dunno man, have you even seen the Dragon Ball Fighterz sales figures?
Why mix two different demographics when Capcom has already had a big fighting game crossover legacy that appeals simply to gamers? Not that I’m saying your ideas aren’t awesome, I just don’t think dedicated Smash and Nintendo fans would like to play as anime characters they’re hardly familiar with, because that’s usually the case. Same goes for Street Fighter; you ask any hardcore Smash fan and they’ll tell you the only SF characters they know are Ryu, Ken, and Guile.

That said, Nintendo vs. Capcom is the perfect company crossover that deserves to happen, seeing how MvCI flopped. Dragon Ball FighterZ only did well because it knew how to appeal to an audience, and a certain one at that.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I wouldn't say it's their only or even biggest money maker. This is the same company with Super Mario after all.
I’m aware, but let’s be honest with ourselves. Smash Bros. has always sold units like wildfire not even within a week of release. The sales for this game are constantly accelerating the likes of which Mario Odyssey and BotW cannot compare with. It sells entire consoles.

Hell, it’s the reason I plan on getting a Switch in the first place. But who am I to judge.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I’m aware, but let’s be honest with ourselves. Smash Bros. has always sold units like wildfire not even within a week of release. The sales for this game are constantly accelerating the likes of which Mario Odyssey and BotW cannot compare with. It sells entire consoles.

Hell, it’s the reason I plan on getting a Switch in the first place. But who am I to judge.
Both of those games probably sell consoles. BotW potentially more so as much as people love to praise it.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I wouldn't say it's their only or even biggest money maker. This is the same company with Super Mario after all.

What is with this Shonen Jump bit?
The fact that shonen jump includes a ton of massively popular IPs and would garner a ton of cross promotion

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
Ultimate was the reason I bought a Switch in the first place.
Octopath Traveller is the reason why I haven't sold it back to Gamestop yet.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
As far as platform fighters go, no definitely not. As far as fighters in general go there will always be Capcom and Street Fighter is wildly popular. They killed MvC tho which makes me super sad because UMvC 3 was one of my favorite games of all time. DBZ Fighter is similar enough but it doesn’t come close to MvC. That said if Nintendo seriously backed Smash competitively and the prize pools were larger I think it would be the most popular competitive fighting game by far. It’s a lot more fun to watch than Street Fighter imo. It’s free form and people can get so much more creative in Smash and who doesn’t like watching that more than block-combo-block-combo repeat?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
But it isn't even video games.
And it's a licensing nightmare. Dragon Ball alone is owned by Shueisha, Bird Studio and Toei.

That said, Nintendo vs. Capcom is the perfect company crossover that deserves to happen, seeing how MvCI flopped. Dragon Ball FighterZ only did well because it knew how to appeal to an audience, and a certain one at that.
Even Yoshinori Ono wants it to happen. Only question is whether Sak and Nintendo are content with simply sticking to Smash for Capcom interactions.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
But it isn't even video games.
Never has "so what?" been such an appropriate response. But I mean, lets completely ignore the fact that there's already a ton of Dragon Ball fighting games as well as a massive Shonen Jump crossover game.

And it's a licensing nightmare. Dragon Ball alone is owned by Shueisha, Bird Studio and Toei.
*rewinds tape*

But I mean, lets completely ignore the fact that there's already a ton of Dragon Ball fighting games as well as a massive Shonen Jump crossover game.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Same goes for Street Fighter; you ask any hardcore Smash fan and they’ll tell you the only SF characters they know are Ryu, Ken, and Guile.
I know I'm just throwing fuel onto the fire but that's just trying to force a stereotype onto the community. SF is entrenched into the fighting game community, and many Smash players play SF competitively. At our local weeklies there's a lot of crossover between the Smash friendlies and SF friendlies immediately after.

The idea that Smash players aren't fighting game players needs to stop. Coming from someone whose #1 fighting game is SF, with #1b being Smash.

Both of those games probably sell consoles. BotW potentially more so as much as people love to praise it.
Which is hilarious to me because the Wii U version launched on the same day and was the exact same game.

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Short answer: No
Long answer: In the realm of video game crossovers, no. In the realm of platform fighters, also no.

Top Bottom