• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think its too late to start "playing" SSBM?

thedough

Smash Rookie
And I don't mean casually playing. I mean like "10 hour days of nothing but Smash practicing your advanced techniques for that tournament next Monday" playing. I played SSBM years ago on and off, and now I'm back on like never before. But I'm afraid that all the time I'm spending practicing my tech skills is going to go to waste, with Brawl's impending release. And I know it takes years of practice to become anywhere near "legend" level of skill. So what do you think? Should I go on practicing? Or save my time and wait for Brawl?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Why should Brawl coming make it a waste? SSBM is a game, first and foremost, and if the only reason you want to play is to get ranked or something then you should look into other sources of fun.

The Black Cat

Smash Journeyman
Well do you like playing the game in general? (expecting a yes) Then no! tournaments are always fun, and the worse you are, the more you learn, people there are pretty nice about teaching/telling you things. Even then Brawl will have lots of similarities to Melee, you know, being the sequal n' all. So practicing Melee will help in at least a slight amount in Brawl no doubt.

Yes it's too late to become a legend, no, not too late to have fun. I mean c'mon it's a game, it's played for fun!

Adi

Smash Lord
Not to mention a lot of the techniques and concepts from melee will transfer over to brawl so they will give you a solid technical foundation to work off when Brawl comes out.

Kada

Smash Journeyman
I'm kind of in the same situation that you're in, but a little different. Back when Smash was in it's prime, I was 9-10 years old, so I really couldn't do anything <_<. By the time that I can now really get into it, it's coming to an end.

The way I see it, I don't care about Brawl coming out, I'm still going to play Melee. I'll be like the people who still bring N64s to Melee tournaments. I'm just getting started playing Melee at the tournament level, and It's been one of the funnest things I've ever been a part of. I don't have any plans on slowing down.

If you seriously enjoy playing Melee, and have fun with it, then by all means, continue on. Melee will never die, just like SSB64 never died. Except in the case of Melee, it's going to be even more active after Brawl's release than 64 was after Melee's.

SSB_FANATIC

Smash Rookie
Too late to become a legend, yes.
Too late to have fun, of course not! It's never too late to have fun!

mario-man

Smash Lord
It's not too late to even become a Legend. If you're like me, well, let me explain something first. I got this game for Christmas just this past year. Since then, I have SHOT forward skillwise. I mean I've improved MASSIVELY since then. I may be Legend status soon at this rate. LOL I'll probably get flamed to no end for saying that.

Now, it's for sure not too late to have fun. This game will not die off for years still to come, even with the emergence of Brawl. Sooo, I'm hoping that either Brawl will have similar controls, or Melee doesn't die, because I'm hoping to be a "Legend". So, keep playin' Melee as long as you like. Once again, I'll probably get flamed to no end for what I said. LOL

Smashboozer

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I thought the same thing but just play anyway melee will prolly be similar to brawl so it couldnt hurt, well as long as U can get Brawl.

sexysanta73

Smash Apprentice
At the very least, improving your tech skill now will get you ready for Brawl, giving you a chance to establish yourself then. You probably won't reach pro status after only five months, but you'll definitely be able to improve a ton.

Private Zulen

Smash Apprentice
We've still got alot of time before Brawl comes out. I'm in this situation as well, I even made a thread about it a while back. Although Brawl looks and now I'm assuming will feel the same, if the trailers show you anything. I'm especially worrying about characters. It's like, what if Captain Falcon returns as a wrinkled old man with a ****ty voice over? Then I have to start replaying. Even still, with Ike released, I'm still wondering if practicing as Falcon or Ganon will matter, since Ganon is definitely going to be changed, and that new Foot Stool jump physic is gonna seriously mess me up with Falcon.

If worse comes to worse, you can still play Melee, although I doubt Sakurai will leave out certain techiques. It's obvious he knows every technique in Melee, and after seeing tournaments (which I'm 100% certain he attends in Japan most of the time), he'll keep Wavedashing, Shuffling, and all those in. I don't think it will be that different.

Show some optimism. Things will probably turn out okay for the transition to Brawl.

John_Doe

Smash Rookie
I'm in sort of the same position as you. I skipped on the GC era and got a Wii when it came out. The game has been out for what, 6 years now? I spent an entire month catching up on the game, learning techniques and practicing non stop. Now I can own my friends pretty bad with a game they have been playing for since it's release.

It may be too late for me to win a tournament, but it sure is fun kicking my friends' ***.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
It's never too late, especially since learning the meta-game (spacing, mindgames, applying techniques) will definitely help you out in Brawl. Plus it's a ****ed fun game, so why not?

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
yeah. i agree what with most people said before me, but i dont think you should practice 10 hours a day...that could seriously **** you up. So yah i don't recommend doing that unless u dont have a life or anything better to do.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
And I don't mean casually playing. I mean like "10 hour days of nothing but Smash practicing your advanced techniques for that tournament next Monday" playing. I played SSBM years ago on and off, and now I'm back on like never before. But I'm afraid that all the time I'm spending practicing my tech skills is going to go to waste, with Brawl's impending release. And I know it takes years of practice to become anywhere near "legend" level of skill. So what do you think? Should I go on practicing? Or save my time and wait for Brawl?
Well I went to my first tourney within a week of learning about advanced techs. And about a month or so later, I wasn't placing last anymore. So it's never too late to learn. There are still four months left, so go ahead and make the best of if.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
smash 64 came out like what 12 years ago? and people still play that...
and it looks like brawl is going to be a lot of melee in terms of gameplay, so your practice won't go to waste.

and its going to take a while before brawl completely takes over any way (if it does, it may end up being an inferior game).

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Yes and no, obviously with Brawl coming out there will be many new aspects that will in a sense, "restart" the tournament scene. But some things will be the same, for instance, being able to read people, l-cancel, usage of platforms, and a knowledge of tricks people can employ against you, are things you can carry over. Sure, there will be new tricks to learn, but not EVERYTHING will be brand new. I can say that with certainty.

Top Bottom