• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think content was cut because of the 3DS?

LagIsOP

Smash Rookie
NNID
S1ckMa5ter
Of course, everyone is thinking about the last DLC characters for SSB4. But what if there could be more characters? But because of the limitations of the 3DS it wasn't a possibility?

I definitely think so. While you play the Wii U version, it seems the game runs incredibly smooth for a game with (already) a ton of fighters. Maybe they could've made exclusive characters for each version? (Sort of how they made the stages for each version)

That is just my opinion. But I would to hear yours! Thanks for reading!

Harmonious

Smash Cadet
It's already been confirmed that the Ice Climbers were cut because of limitations on the 3DS, and if they couldn't be in both versions of the game, Sakurai wouldn't have them in either.

LagIsOP

Smash Rookie
NNID
S1ckMa5ter
It's already been confirmed that the Ice Climbers were cut because of limitations on the 3DS, and if they couldn't be in both versions of the game, Sakurai wouldn't have them in either.
I forgot about that. Maybe this was the case with some of the other 'verterans'. (Snake? Wasn't too demandingand deals with Konami were probably bad but maybe...)

Harmonious

Smash Cadet
Not much is known for sure about Snake, but it seems like Konami wouldn't give him to Nintendo (at least for a reasonable price). Pretty sure only Popo/Nana were affected by the 3DS though.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nah, Snake isn't limited in the same way. He wasn't known for having multiple items onscreen at once(like Mortars, Missiles, Grenades... it was generally his Ground Bomb-like item, and one other). It might slightly limit him so that he can use his Down B less, while the other auto-explodes. I think that's how it was in Brawl, anyway. Only thing that it could have affected is perhaps his Final Smash, but Zero Suit Samus' proves that's hardly an issue.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Of course, everyone is thinking about the last DLC characters for SSB4. But what if there could be more characters? But because of the limitations of the 3DS it wasn't a possibility?
Aside from Ice Climbers, I'm pretty sure budget and time were more limiting than the 3DS. Not to mention, 58 characters is a lot to manage. there's a point where there's too many characters to balance.

I definitely think so. While you play the Wii U version, it seems the game runs incredibly smooth for a game with (already) a ton of fighters. Maybe they could've made exclusive characters for each version? (Sort of how they made the stages for each version)
Well it's not like every character is being rendered at once, the game could theoretically have 2000 characters and still run at 60FPS. Exclusive characters sounds lame, I'm already peeved the 3DS gets a few stages the Wii U version doesn't. I want Corneria, Brinstar, and Yoshi Story back.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
Making a WiiU and a 3DS version most likely did affect the end result. It's possible that putting the time and resources for more content in the WiiU version could have had us end up with more characters, stages, and stuff in that game, but we'll never really know.

Personally, I'm happy they went with the route of both. I feel like Smash works much better on a handheld than I would have ever imagined. It's tons of fun and so easy to take anywhere and play with friends. Exclusive characters would have been a huge issue and I'm so glad they knew to stay away from it. Imagine not owning a WiiU and your main is only playable there. Like Kurri ★ Kurri ★ say, it's really bad enough already that some stages are exclusive. I get why, but there's lots of stages I want on one console and vice versa.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I forgot about that. Maybe this was the case with some of the other 'verterans'. (Snake? Wasn't too demandingand deals with Konami were probably bad but maybe...)
Sigh...Snake and Wolf would have been so sick in this game...
Its ironic how the 2 veterans from Brawl i wanted back the most didnt get in..

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The 3DS obviously caused the Ice Climbers to get the boot, but even if they weren't cut, they wouldn't be able to dominate like they did in Melee and Brawl.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Sigh...Snake and Wolf would have been so sick in this game...
Its ironic how the 2 veterans from Brawl i wanted back the most didnt get in..
Snake would have been brilliant to add to Smash 4. Wolf as well, but Snake would have been the powerhouse. It's a shame Konami is Konami and Konami does not know how to buisness.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Snake would have been brilliant to add to Smash 4. Wolf as well, but Snake would have been the powerhouse. It's a shame Konami is Konami and Konami does not know how to buisness.
Yh expecially how i pretty much only play as heavies and powerhouses.
Snake was a monster hybrid.
Would take him in exchange of any other 3rd party.

Hell if i could exchange Bayo,Corrin,Pacman,Sonic for him i would.

Although cloud and megaman are awsome and Ryu is ok

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Honestly, I think Snake might not have been cut because of money. I think he was cut to make the game E10+. They've done many measures to keep most Mario Games E, they'd probably do the same thing to keep Smash E10+

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Honestly, I think Snake might not have been cut because of money. I think he was cut to make the game E10+. They've done many measures to keep most Mario Games E, they'd probably do the same thing to keep Smash E10+
And the irony of the story is that Bayonetta is a DLC character, despite the fact that her own franchise is composed of M-rated titles. Solid Snake's absence more has to do with the issues involving Konami.

LagIsOP

Smash Rookie
NNID
S1ckMa5ter
And the irony of the story is that Bayonetta is a DLC character, despite the fact that her own franchise is composed of M-rated titles. Solid Snake's absence more has to do with the issues involving Konami.
Still good points!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To note, we don't know why Snake was cut. It hasn't been revealed whatsoever by Sakurai. It could be money. Could be Konami being Konami. Could be the rating(I doubt the rating, though).

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I'm of the opinion that if the 3DS version didn't exist and focus was entirely shifted to the Wii U, there's a distinct possibility that we might've had more content, :popo: included. Personally, Smash isn't the type of game that's suitable for a handheld. I think it's better as a console-exclusive series. But that's just what I think, it's not like we'll ever know for sure what could've been.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Yes. Most specifically the loss of Ice Climbers as well as Squirtle and Ivysaur (due to lack of transformations). If transformations are allowed in the next Smash, do you think they'll have Sheik and Zelda be part of the same moveset again, or no?

LagIsOP

Smash Rookie
NNID
S1ckMa5ter
Yes. Most specifically the loss of Ice Climbers as well as Squirtle and Ivysaur (due to lack of transformations). If transformations are allowed in the next Smash, do you think they'll have Sheik and Zelda be part of the same moveset again, or no?
I don't know. It's all in Sakurai's deep, twisted, Mii Costume giving head lol.

windwakingwarrior

Smash Rookie
NNID
lelennyfacelel
3DS FC
0963-1878-4233
I would've rather Sm4sh be a game with different characters and different stages for each console. It never made sense to me as of to why some stages were exclusive to the Wii U / 3DS but fighters remained the same.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Personally, I think the trade-off was worth it. Smash on the go is really neat.

Likely not. The separation was done due to 3DS limitations as well, but it was actually well-received by most.

:231:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I'm of the opinion that if the 3DS version didn't exist and focus was entirely shifted to the Wii U, there's a distinct possibility that we might've had more content, :popo: included. Personally, Smash isn't the type of game that's suitable for a handheld. I think it's better as a console-exclusive series. But that's just what I think, it's not like we'll ever know for sure what could've been.
I can agree with you here, but even if smash is not suitable much for a handheld it brought forth such a great experience for players, and gave an option for those who have a 3ds and don't have a wii u. With the new 3ds, Sakurai could attempt ice climbers again for dlc but there consults a problem even if it worked, the older 3ds. Smash on the 3ds was a good attempt, Sakurai tried hard and now it is up to his opinion and the NX

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I can agree with you here, but even if smash is not suitable much for a handheld it brought forth such a great experience for players, and gave an option for those who have a 3ds and don't have a wii u. With the new 3ds, Sakurai could attempt ice climbers again for dlc but there consults a problem even if it worked, the older 3ds. Smash on the 3ds was a good attempt, Sakurai tried hard and now it is up to his opinion and the NX
I commend the man for going the distance with both platforms, but I still can't help but feel that we lost out somehow. I don't necessarily care about the Climbers, but I don't like losing content for reasons like this. Even though I have both versions of the game, I generally dislike the idea of games being split up into console and handheld versions, mainly due to content being split up between the two games. That seems to be a trend lately, and I can't say I'm liking it. I'd rather Smash just be developed exclusively for consoles, so there's no splitting up resources and time between versions.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I commend the man for going the distance with both platforms, but I still can't help but feel that we lost out somehow. I don't necessarily care about the Climbers, but I don't like losing content for reasons like this. Even though I have both versions of the game, I generally dislike the idea of games being split up into console and handheld versions, mainly due to content being split up between the two games. That seems to be a trend lately, and I can't say I'm liking it. I'd rather Smash just be developed exclusively for consoles, so there's no splitting up resources and time between versions.
Good reasoning. I have not seen many Console to Portable games recently (except Animal Crossing Wild World and City Folk) But Your point for "I'd rather Smash just be developed exclusively for consoles, so there's no splitting up resources and time between versions" I can agree with. One Idea I had back then was why not keep ice climbers in the wii u and for the 3ds, have a exclusive character. Duck Hunt now would have been a great example. Though Portable to console games may be a good idea, Like you mentioned "I generally dislike the idea of games being split up into console and handheld versions, mainly due to content being split up between the two games." That may be, and taking the Exclusive idea further, the game could have certain custom moves and equipment only available in the 3ds and transfer to the wii u for miis, personal use, or amiibo. If they covered it more, the game could be very different. (I had more to say, but It was too long.)

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Aside from Ice Climbers, I doubt it. And I'm glad the rosters match, chain grab infinites are a small price to pay for portable Smash.

Besides, for any case of exclusivity, there'll be whiners. If they gave the 3DS a character in "exchange" for the Ice Climbers, well, remember when the U version got Smash Tour in "exchange" for Smash Run? Yeah. Nobody liked that, and even in the presence of all the other content, U owners feel like 3DS players have an irreplaceable feature that they can't use on the console version.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
The loss of the ICs is enough to make me wish the 3DS version didn't exist.

I'm over it at this point, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't trade out the 3DS version for getting the Ice Climbers back in the WiiU version, selfish as that sounds.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
In addition to ice climbers, I'm assuming the 3DS limitations were also the reason why other characters saw reductions in the number of items that could use on screen at once.

AKA

Olimar only having 3 pikmin, and Diddy only having 1 banana.

3DS definitely limited the game, or at the minimum made it take much longer to develop.

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I have not seen many Console to Portable games recently
I've mostly seen it for games like Sonic Colors, Generations and Lost World, with certain features included in the handheld versions that were absent in the console versions, like certain abilities, items and worst of all, special stages. That's the kind of thing that just irritates me to no end. I mean, why leave content like this out of the primary platform and give it to the handheld when you could've had everything on the main platform? I don't know, I guess I'm just not seeing their logic in this.

The loss of the ICs is enough to make me wish the 3DS version didn't exist.

I'm over it at this point, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't trade out the 3DS version for getting the Ice Climbers back in the WiiU version, selfish as that sounds.
There are many of us(myself included)who share this sentiment. I remember there were days back in SSBB's lifetime when players wanted a handheld Smash at some point. Just gotta love the irony. Players got what they wanted, but now they wish it never happened.

There's an old saying: "Careful what you wish for.....".

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh I managed to live without Mewtwo in Brawl (A character I cared significantly more about....) I can live without the Ice Climbers for one game.

I'm pretty sure they will be back for the next instalment anyway (Even if said instalment where to go for another handheld version, I'd imagine the hardware and everything should be powerful enough to handle them next time)

Eitherway, 8-player Smash may have also had some effect on the Ice Climbers inclusion (If it can barely handle 8 characters without watering down a number of stages as well as certain characters, I'm not sure if it can handle 16 Ice Climbers) so I wouldn't really pin all the blame on the 3DS version alone.... :/

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Eitherway, 8-player Smash may have also had some effect on the Ice Climbers inclusion (If it can barely handle 8 characters without watering down a number of stages as well as certain characters, I'm not sure if it can handle 16 Ice Climbers) so I wouldn't really pin all the blame on the 3DS version alone.... :/
When you think of it this way, in Brawl, if four Olimars are fighting, as many as 24 Pikmin can be present; 6x4=24. But since Smash 3DS / Wii U lowered Olimar's Pikmin amount to 3, that makes it so that even in 8-Player Smash, there will never be more than 24 Pikmin on-screen at a time; 8x3=24.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
In addition to ice climbers, I'm assuming the 3DS limitations were also the reason why other characters saw reductions in the number of items that could use on screen at once.

AKA

Olimar only having 3 pikmin, and Diddy only having 1 banana.

3DS definitely limited the game, or at the minimum made it take much longer to develop.
These are significant balance changes too, and may of ended up like that without the restrictions. PM also only let Diddy use one banana and Snake one grenade (IRCC).

On the topic of the Ice Climbers, I don't think they'll return. They're incredibly resource heavy. They're a normal character + another AI controlled character. Don't think AI can effect performance? Play KIU with five CPUs and there'll be frame drops everywhere. Our next most complex characters are Olimar and then Rosalina but their helpers are much less complex, and yet 8 Olimars can still crash the game.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
On the topic of the Ice Climbers, I don't think they'll return. They're incredibly resource heavy. They're a normal character + another AI controlled character. Don't think AI can effect performance? Play KIU with five CPUs and there'll be frame drops everywhere. Our next most complex characters are Olimar and then Rosalina but their helpers are much less complex, and yet 8 Olimars can still crash the game.
That depends on how powerful the hardware is for Nintendo's next console/handheld is. I'm certain Nintendo will have something strong enough by then. The New 3DS probably could of run the Ice Climbers.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I know the 3DS cost us the Ice Climbers and transformations, but I'm not sure if we actually lost anything of value.

He's been playable since Melee, they just called him Bowser.
Don't you mean Zelda?

I mean, Bowser's currently 30th on Smash 4's tier list which would put him into mid tier. Not amazing, but not spectacularly awful like Zelda.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Zelda's not complete combo fodder like Bowser is, though.
Zelda is a lightweight fighter though, and she doesn't exactly have the brute force that Bowser has either. And of course, Bowser is more mobile than her when you consider how high his running speed is.

Top Bottom