• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think content was cut because of the 3DS?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
These are significant balance changes too, and may of ended up like that without the restrictions. PM also only let Diddy use one banana and Snake one grenade (IRCC).

On the topic of the Ice Climbers, I don't think they'll return. They're incredibly resource heavy. They're a normal character + another AI controlled character. Don't think AI can effect performance? Play KIU with five CPUs and there'll be frame drops everywhere. Our next most complex characters are Olimar and then Rosalina but their helpers are much less complex, and yet 8 Olimars can still crash the game.
It'd honestly depend on the intended direction with the Ice Climbers should they ever return. Considering their iconic trait, chain grabs, were removed from Smash 4, you'd need a serious revamp to actually make them worth a damn.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
It'd honestly depend on the intended direction with the Ice Climbers should they ever return. Considering their iconic trait, chain grabs, were removed from Smash 4, you'd need a serious revamp to actually make them worth a damn.
There is a chance on the NX, though that is up to what the NX is and how it will work. Will it be a replacement for wii u? or a replacement of that and the 3ds? Never know. I agree with them becoming more worth it to play more often, Sakurai should consider it since it is a return from being absent for 1 game (Smash 64 does not count)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Or the more likely outcome: It's a port of the WiiU version. Expecting ANYTHING from Smash NX if it's by 2017 to be new content is unrealistic.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nobody is going to buy a straight port if it doesn't have more content than either version's own single content. It'd either have to have all the 3DS/Wii U content or outright new stuff. It's otherwise a waste of money to people who own either version if they aren't getting anything unique out of it. So expecting new stuff is very realistic, but that's assuming there's an NX version coming soon whatsoever. It's just a rumor.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
That depends on how powerful the hardware is for Nintendo's next console/handheld is. I'm certain Nintendo will have something strong enough by then. The New 3DS probably could of run the Ice Climbers.
That's not the point. Think about it like this...

Let's say every character costs units to function. Mario costs 95. Link, 100. Rosalina, 110, and Olimar 120. So in Smash 4 they take the most costly character and then multiply it's cost by 4, which'll determine the amount of space they can use for stages, items, AI players, online modes, and so on. 4 Olimars costs 480 units. Now if they wanted more items on-screen they could cut the most costly character down or just remove them... But then 4 Rosas comes out to 440. That's not really a gigantic reduction. Cut her down and then you can get to 400. Past that it's not really reasonable to reduce the amount of units a character takes.

Ice Climbers... Take a guess what they'd come out to. 200, minimum. Probably more like 250 or even 300. 200 x 4 is 800 units, though. That's still a ridiculous amount more then the next most costly character. Besides transformations (which I don't think will ever happen again) I can't think of a character that'd take up anywhere near that much power. A proper Inkling might be 150... Cut one obscure character and you get that much more room for the rest of the game, and anybody not playing the ICs gets a more optimized game.

Even if they could get the ICs functional on the next handheld, they could instead allow up to six players and limit it to certain stages and cut back on items like on SSBU. If you have enough for ICs and six players they'd probably bump it up to eight, or maybe ten if they were crazy. Either that or 100% game parity (not necessarily graphics, but at a respectable level) with the console version. And that's with my lowball estimate.

If anything the ICs came about from the failed eight-player smash from Melee and they wanted something to use up the space. Now that eight players is a reality, they can't allocate the space for the ICs.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Nobody is going to buy a straight port if it doesn't have more content than either version's own single content. It'd either have to have all the 3DS/Wii U content or outright new stuff. It's otherwise a waste of money to people who own either version if they aren't getting anything unique out of it. So expecting new stuff is very realistic, but that's assuming there's an NX version coming soon whatsoever. It's just a rumor.
Expect it to include all the DLC and nothing else.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Expect it to include all the DLC and nothing else.
Kind of hard to expect something super unrealistic. If it's a port of 4, there'll be something that either version doesn't directly have. Otherwise it's a new game altogether, which may or may not happen. Or there is no Smash NX for quite a while, which is more believable than a laughable port that won't get buyers without worthwhile new content. People aren't as much of sheep as some think, they don't want to spend another 50/60 dollars plus the money on the NX for literally nothing new. They already can get it far cheaper with either current system.

Something will be different, or it's a new Smash, or it doesn't exist for a very long time. It's pretty much guaranteed to avoid a business suicide. It's not like we're talking about Konami here. Bandai-Namco are actually smart, after all.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
They would still have their footstool ice-block infinite if they were ported from Brawl.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Or the more likely outcome: It's a port of the WiiU version. Expecting ANYTHING from Smash NX if it's by 2017 to be new content is unrealistic.
On a source gaming article made by @PushDustIn , it states the following: "A lot of fans are clamoring for Nintendo to release a Smash for NX that combines content from both Smash for Wii U and 3DS. I find this more unlikely than most fans, as Sakurai has spoken out against straight re-releases in the past. ... Personally, the sense that I get from reading Sakurai’s interviews and columns is that he needs a pull in order to want to make a game. ... He stated that he wanted to work with other content creators, something he strives to do as a freelance employee." Smash wouldn't need remakes or ports really. I do wish there were remakes, like an hd melee with the more recent characters and stages and remove a few... but I bet Sakurai would not enjoy changing his finished creations to put out again.

Last edited:

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
The explanation that Sakurai gave for ending DLC is that he thinks the excitement of each new release will get lower and lower, so it seemed like a logical time to end things. I think that's PR, and he was really just wanting to move on to a new project (hey look at that, a new Kirby game's been announced). I don't really think it had anything to do with the 3DS, but of course, all anyone can do is speculate. I can also say that I personally would have been really upset with platform-exclusive characters, considering I have no intention of getting the game on 3DS.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The explanation that Sakurai gave for ending DLC is that he thinks the excitement of each new release will get lower and lower, so it seemed like a logical time to end things. I think that's PR, and he was really just wanting to move on to a new project (hey look at that, a new Kirby game's been announced). I don't really think it had anything to do with the 3DS, but of course, all anyone can do is speculate. I can also say that I personally would have been really upset with platform-exclusive characters, considering I have no intention of getting the game on 3DS.
Sakurai hasn't had anything to do with the Kirby franchise in years...

C3CC

Smash Lord
I'm of the opinion that if the 3DS version didn't exist and focus was entirely shifted to the Wii U, there's a distinct possibility that we might've had more content, :popo: included. Personally, Smash isn't the type of game that's suitable for a handheld. I think it's better as a console-exclusive series. But that's just what I think, it's not like we'll ever know for sure what could've been.
This. I'll never recover from the huge amounts of salt that caused the Ice Climbers getting cut because of the 3DS version (a version that should have never existed in my opinion, as it dragged down the Wii U version badly in terms of content). They should have been exclusive to Wii U. I don't care if that's unfair, it's even more unfair that I don't get to use those characters because of the existence of a game I don't even own. It's better to have them at least in one version that not having them at all.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
They made SSB3D so that SSB4 as a whole would be successful. If anything SSBU would of been cut down without SSB3D anyway because now they're going to be selling much less copys of SSB4 overall. It may of been more profitable to just make the 3DS version, though people double dipping with both might of made up for it.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Disclaimer: I have a Wii U, I don't at this time own a 3ds... I write this from a selfish perspective not taking into consideration what it would mean for 3ds owners... in other words this isn't the post that the team should look at for the next smash bros... well actually there are parts they should.

It sounds to me like the Sm4sh team stayed together way longer than originally planned... Mewtwo went from being the only DLC character planned to the 1st of 7... Quite a bit more was done.

As far as other stuff... debatable.

On one hand, the 3ds is blamed for losing ice climbers... but 8 player smash (IMO the best addition to smash as a party game ever) i hear shared in the blame. (can't confirm this though... I don't have time to dig back to where I heard this.)

Some things were glossed due to the 3ds... Zelda + Shiek, Samus + ZSS being one character... The Zelda Shiek change took away a very fun element of the uniqueness of that character. (Samus and ZSS needing a smash ball to change however, sucked.)

And speculation... stages... the 3ds version angers me hear more than any other area.

We lost Corneria... the favorite melee and brawl stage of the groups i played in. To a lesser extent it would have been nice to have Yoshi's island... and jungle japes is superior to stupid 75 meeter by any measure. It feels like that content has been cut... I had it in Brawl but now that I have migrated over to 4 I don't have it... I also wonder if Gurodo valley etc would have made it onto the Wii U over some of the less fun stages we got. (Why the heck isn't there a 3ds/wii u map pack out as DLC yet? Within tech limits of course.)

They tried to make the same gameplay for 2 systems... so they had to sink to the lowest common denominator power wise... highly likely that the Wii U version suffered in one way or another because of that. Even if that were not true, development went into the 3ds for content that isn't in the Wii U.... so even if not technically cut... it is lost to Wii U only players for all intents and purposes.

With that said... 3ds owners can argue this changed smash for the better... being able to play on the go, with random people without hauling a massive set up somewhere... so it isn't all bad.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I like to think the Chorus Kids were cut alongside the Ice Climbers because of the 3DS hardware limitation.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
'Cutting content' implies something was developed but scratched. Outside Ice Climbers, I'm not so sure there was that much content actually developed that didn't get in solely because of the 3DS outside the specific stuff that has been mentioned.

I'm sure the WiiU version could've been bigger if the 3DS version wasn't a priority too. Thinking about the WiiU game as a port of the 3DS version is the most sane way to regard the two games. Wasn't the pitch on these two games that the 3DS version was the more important one?

Last edited:
Top Bottom