• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you feel sometimes your Main just isn't good enough for you?

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
Not in some character stats wise, more like in the competitive sense. Between match ups with other characters, do you feel that your current main isn't providing you what your current skill can give you most? What I mean by that is does your main provide you 100% of what technical skill you're capable of?

Honestly, I've played about over 1000 games of For Glory and most of it was with my main Toon Link. While I have won a great deal of games with him, I certainly feel like at times "I could do better." in the game after losses with him. While I'm open to always improve my play, I feel like I'm not noticing any sense of improvement over this period of playing him.

I play the game competitively, while it's debatable that 'I suck' or I haven't 'mastered' him yet or I still need time to 'improve', I feel like he can't catchup with my technical skill and that he's drawing me back from what I can do.

It may be just me but have you guys felt anything similar before?

EDIT: Sorry if this is in the wrong section, this my first thread ever on the forums

Last edited:

B0NK

Smash Lord
Yeah, every time I don't play Diddy, I feel this way.

Just... incomplete.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I am very happy with how technical Duck Hunt is. His setups and stage control ability remind me of Snake (my secondary in Brawl). He isn't as good as Snake, but the technical ability you need to successfully play the character is similar (even more so since Snake actually had reliable kill moves). I feel like there is no ceiling just yet with Duck Hunt, and if his Smashes become more reliable with the new update, I'm hoping he can rise through the ranks like Brawl Diddy, Melee ICs, etc. I can only see myself getting better the more I understand the character. This is much unlike some of my secondaries in this game... I feel there's a visible ceiling.

Last edited:

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
Its very rare that I feel my main has failed me rather than I failed it. ZSS doesnt have any downright awful matchups (sans pikachu), but i lack the ability to use her toolkit in some of them.

Instead, I feel that there is an eventual cieling with how good you can get by just playing one charachter. Sure you may know them down to their hitbox, but you get constrained to one playstyle. I feel like playing a couple characters aside from your true main, will allow you to shift your playstyle a bit. At least thats whats happening with me.

P.S.
Toon link is a demon, and his never ending supply of projectiles from hell is the bane of my existence.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
I feel like, although I enjoy projectile walling and zoning, I'm not actually all that good at doing it. Despite this, I will continue using Megaman and Protomii.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I really wish I could play Marth and feel good about it in Smash4, but a cooking knife just doesn't cut it where a sword once did.

D

Deleted member 269706

I think I'm not good enough for my main. I'm not ready for Falcon

smallwolf24

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0834-2422-8954
I use to play Little Mac and Zero Suit a lot, but then got to a certain limit. I couldn't win fights against skilled players with Little Mac. Most of them just knew how to keep me at a good distance. With Zero Suit, I just didn't wan to put in the effort to learn her mechanics, especially with lag messing up my timing. As of now, I main Rosalina, and she solved a lot of my issues.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
Yes. I need multiple mains to cover me in certain matchups.

Main main: :4zelda:

Secondary main: :4wiifit:

Third main::4dedede:

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Sometimes you are good with your true main, but sometimes just worse. It's all about your strategy... and a little bit of luck.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
My main was Yoshi until I realized that I could win matches against good players easier with my secondary, which is by all accounts a much worse character. I think the reason is that Brawl Yoshi is so ingrained in my muscle memory that I have a hard time adapting to the new, much more rushdown style that he benefits from. Ganondorf is still Ganondorf, and somehow, I feel more confident in my odds of winning when I play him, and I still have a pocket Yoshi when I run into a bad MU (Jiggs, Pikachu, Rosalina).

Last edited:

Falcon1991

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Falcon1991
I am happy with Sheik, who I've been on and off with since Melee. Same with Ness.

I would like to get better as Wii Fit Trainer though. I'd like to try and get some combos going with her.

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
I don't feel that my main isn't good enough for me, but rather the other way around. I main Ness, and while I do not have problems with him in the competitive scene, I know there is so much more to him than what I use him for. For instance, I watch a lot of FOW, his main is Ness, and he is god-like with him. I try to model my Ness game after him the best I can, but I know there's more to it than what I can do. And whenever I come up against a bad MU (at least one that I'm having troubles with), I've gotten pretty good with Pikachu, Falcon, Fox, and Megaman. These aren't characters I bring straight into a tourney (maybe Pikachu though), but I can use them to handle almost any MU I'm having a problem with while using Ness.

So I wouldn't say my main isn't good enough for me, but I'm not good enough for my main.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I play Sheik now...
So I constantly feel I'm not good enough for her.
-------------------
But I feel this in the end of Brawl-era with Pit, I simply hate to play some MU's with him, so I started to play more with MK and carry no regrets about this.
I think there's a line between how much you like a character and what you want to achieve in the competitive scenario.
A competitive player must know you just can't play Zelda or Wii Fit Trainer (along with many other chars in SSB4) in the metagame.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
I am very happy with how technical Duck Hunt is. His setups and stage control ability remind me of Snake (my secondary in Brawl). He isn't as good as Snake, but the technical ability you need to successfully play the character is similar (even more so since Snake actually had reliable kill moves). I feel like there is no ceiling just yet with Duck Hunt, and if his Smashes become more reliable with the new update, I'm hoping he can rise through the ranks like Brawl Diddy, Melee ICs, etc. I can only see myself getting better the more I understand the character. This is much unlike some of my secondaries in this game... I feel there's a visible ceiling.
Hey, I like you. You know what's up. I feel Duck Hunt has ways to go, keep trying to get that black belt in can-fu. Do you like the zig-zag can or the regular can better, or is it match up dependent?

If you like stage control and traps, brother let me tell you about the minesweeper that is custom Samus. Relentless Missiles (slower than regular, and chase the opponent everywhere, can have out to two at a time) and regular bombs or Mega Bomb which is like a slightly more temporary can, just bouncing, waiting for you to step too close, and of course your Default Charge Shot or Dense Charge Shot which is MORE powerful and lingers about as slow as the Mario's big pills/fireballs. It's better for setting up traps, because they'll shield and you can grapple them and it's drag them into it for a KO or you can knock them into it or shoot it right above the ledge as they're recovering.

You should check it out man. Stage control.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
I main :4ganondorf:, and I have never ever felt this way. Just when I think I've hit a plateau with him and my play can't get any better, I discover a new tidbit or trick that seriously improves my play all the more. I love the techchasing, offstage game, prediction, and raw power that comes with the King of Evil. Even though faster characters are fun, there's just something about Ganondorf's play style that no one else seems to have. Put him where you will on the tier list, I am perfectly happy with him as a main.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I often feel this way with :4roy:for certain, but it comes and goes. Whether I feel I can't improve as him, or I'm completely optimised, I get to a point where I don't feel there's much if not anything more I can do with him. At times, I surprise myself though, and I feel like that's a good sign.

On the other hand, :4robinf:is a character I play that I always feel I'm improving on. Whether I'm perfecting that double ArcFire or managing my Tomes/Sword better, I always feel I'm learning. My win-rate with her has noticably dropped, but there's some games I've won where I know I couldn't have done it without the extra practicing, and I think that's a very good place to be in - always treating everything like practice as opposed to aiming for wins, otherwise you get complacent with strategies that don't neccisarily work against smarter opponents.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
No, never. It will always be the other way around. I will never be worthy of playing the Captain at his maximum, only worthy of tasting a small amount of his raw potential and hoping that some of his glory will rub off on me.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Bowser Jr. tends to have rough MUs against the top tiers. Fox, Yoshi, ZSS, and Pikachu are all immensely frustrating.
Sheik, Rosalina, Ness, and Sonic also aren't easy either.

Even though there's a handful of realy good players with him, I feel like Jr's flaws really sink his chances of hitting the same skill ceiling that other characters do.
Meanwhile, Captain Falcon and Sonic, both of whom I am practicing as other mains, both feel like I have lots of room to grow with. I feel like I can actually take on everybody else with those two... except I need to get good first.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I never think that my main isnt good enough, when I am failing I am thinking I arent good enough.

I have :4bowserjr:as a main and :4jigglypuff::4rob::4shulk: as a really good back up (:4luigi::4greninja: in progress) and with those 4 I complete most of it!

the only time I truely feel that my main isnt good, is when facing :4diddy:or :4sheik:. they are just draining the fun

Last edited:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Other way around. I watch Dunnobro or MVD or Brood go to work, then I get eaten in tournaments, and I consider just using my Wario over DHD.

Something about the dog just keeps bringing me back though.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
With Toon Link, only ocassionally but he still has a good toolset.

Pikachu I feel the opposite, sometimes I feel unable to bring out his potential.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Quite the opposite, Charizard meshes with my playstyle so well that, at times, it feels like I'm just picking options and it's working.

I'm the kind of player that values each individual decision, picking and committing to smart choices with significant reward, rather than making hundreds of tiny micro-decisions that have little impact on their own.

:006:

Plus he's a cuddly dragon so there's that.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no.

R.O.B. is the best and the rest sucks.

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
I only feel this way against certain characters like Sonic or ZSS, both incredibly bad matchups for Shulk. I'll just switch to Toon Link if I'm fighting those characters.

SpScarecrow

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4699-7829-1600
It depends on the day. If i have a day where I'm playing poorly then yeah. I play Wii Fit Trainer. I find that many people don't know the matchup so that helps. Plus comboing with nair and getting the spike from header feels really satisfying

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
:4shulk:: I still perform pretty decently with him but there's some matchups I dislike fighting (namely Diddy, Fox, and the occasional Pikachu and Sonic) that I sometimes consider picking up a top tier to learn my enemy.

:4robinm::4robinf:: No matter the outcome of the match, I always feel I could do more with Robin to perform better than I did. Maybe because I'm still learning them to this day and then sighing whenever I face a reflector character who uses it a bit more than they should.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Hey, I like you. You know what's up. I feel Duck Hunt has ways to go, keep trying to get that black belt in can-fu. Do you like the zig-zag can or the regular can better, or is it match up dependent?

If you like stage control and traps, brother let me tell you about the minesweeper that is custom Samus. Relentless Missiles (slower than regular, and chase the opponent everywhere, can have out to two at a time) and regular bombs or Mega Bomb which is like a slightly more temporary can, just bouncing, waiting for you to step too close, and of course your Default Charge Shot or Dense Charge Shot which is MORE powerful and lingers about as slow as the Mario's big pills/fireballs. It's better for setting up traps, because they'll shield and you can grapple them and it's drag them into it for a KO or you can knock them into it or shoot it right above the ledge as they're recovering.

You should check it out man. Stage control.
Thanks for the tip, but I could never really get into Samus, even with customs. :(

I tend to go for the standard can, standard clay pigeon. The only customs I'm into are the custom gunmen and the up-b that has a hitbox (name, cannot remember) for certain matchups. Other than that I'm basically a 1111 fiend.

Darth Tobito

Smash Cadet
NNID
darth_tobito
I main Charizard and beating people with him is so satisfying but I'm fully aware that all his cons hold me back substantially. I ended up pocketing Sheik but eventually switched to her knowing that her skill ceiling was much higher than Charizard's. I'll always love Charizard but at least Sheik stands a chance against most of the cast where Zard would end up struggling. I know selling out for a top tier is kinda lame but I feel so much more fluid and skilled using Sheik. Still I never feel satisfied with my performance and I'm obsessed with improving her. I feel like I've taken Charizard as far as I can take him with my current skill level... Ugh, Charizard why do you not have anything to stand out from the other heavyweights ?!

Last edited:

Aurora2698

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aurora2698
3DS FC
1633-5618-1082
Switch FC
SW 2299 3743 5305
Being a Doc main is... interesting. His glaring weaknesses can sometimes surface to the extent that there's nothing I can do about them, but oftentimes it's my fault for not mitigating them. For example, sometimes his mediocre recovery uncontrollably loses me games, but other times I'll, like, fail to mash a Tornado properly and plummet to my doom while hanging my head in shame. Matchups suck too. I got creamed by a good Rosalina earlier today, and while I blamed myself for losing eight times in a row, in my heart I knew Doc couldn't do a great deal.

Of course, if I get too frustrated, there's always my secondaries!

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
Sometimes, But he is my best so I dont give up. Because I have to be hype.
My secondary though, I just dont know what to do.

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
No, never. It will always be the other way around. I will never be worthy of playing the Captain at his maximum, only worthy of tasting a small amount of his raw potential and hoping that some of his glory will rub off on me.
I completely understand this, I'd have to give up my lifestyle and play nothing but smash for years before I'd consider myself worthy of the glorious falcon.

For ZSS, I feel like if you can't Dsmash to down-b spike or Uair escalator combo... then you're not good enough xD

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
The only time I ever feel :4metaknight: fails me instead of me failing him is when I do side special and my opponent escapes from it somehow, which can result in a suicide because he's unable to grab the ledge after side special until a stupid amount of frames later. Easily the most obnoxious aspect to playing as Meta Knight. He should always be able to grab the ledge after using a special move. As for :4diddy:, if I fail with him, it's definitely not the character's fault.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I feel this way all the time with Villager.

But I have two choices. A: Get sad about it B: Learn more and explore the potentials of this character

I choose B. I always try to explore my main as much as possible, even when it all seems fully discovered and mastered. It's not. I always thought trying to learn from yourself then others helps in becoming a great player and even being by one of the top players to this day.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
As a Greninja main... I sometimes can't help but feel my original choice in a main was kind of taken away from me, but as I've told others, that character is dead, never existed essentially, and no amount of wishing will ever bring them back. You either switch to another easy-to-pick up character, or you soldier on with what I think is one of the most interesting characters in Smash. Going from Brawl Olimar to Greninja was a huge change, but I feel that I have learned so much in the process of doing so.

Greninja is easily one of the hardest characters in the game to learn, but when you begin to become adept at using him, playing him is an extremely engaging experience. I do feel that I could put 1/10th the work into *insert low-learning curve top tier here* and see the exact same results as I do with Greninja, and while that does bother me at times, I also take solace in the fact that Greninja is the first character in Smash I had a legitimate passion for (one of my two "dream" characters). I learn something new about him every week, if not every day, and I feel he's going to keep me engaged for as long as Smash 4 remains relevant. Even if I don't have the potential to become a notable player with Greninja, I still want to do as much as I can to help others do so, because I just love this character so much.

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
Daein (Or Albany, NY whatever makes more sense)
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
Obviously im a lucina main and shes my favorite character i know i could win with my secondaries (Pac Man, Robin and falco) but its almost like i want people to think of her as a good character so much i dont care id rather get second in a tournament with her than first with anyone else same with Marth but i cant stand how Kawaii he is in this game.

Top Bottom