• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you ever kill yourself quickly after completely failing?

Elixir Soup

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stickkid12
3DS FC
5069-4931-8546
Sometimes I will completely fail (like not double jump because of lag or something) and then for the next two stocks just kill myself as there is no point in even playing because I know I will never catch up. Do any of you do that online or is it just me..?

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
No, not really, because even if I'm losing, each stock is a chance to try to learn something new. Except in for Glory, I stopped learning from that and stopped playing it since playstyles there aren't very creative and just bore me.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
No, not really, because even if I'm losing, each stock is a chance to try to learn something new. Except in for Glory, I stopped learning from that and stopped playing it since playstyles there aren't very creative and just bore me.
Exactly, there has been times where you could beat someone who has 2 stocks and you only have one, who knows? anything can happen, something can distract hem in the real world, like they're parents screaming at them(lol jk), but srsly, there recoverys can fail if you hit them off the edge and away far enough, and etc.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I have done this once or twice. But I was super salty when I did that. Like so much salt I could supply McDonald's fries with some for the day. (It was a ****ty day for me that day. **** happens.)

Last edited:

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
Theres always the chance your opponent messes up, or that you play well.

Plus just suicide meanings you will really struggle to learn how to play when you are behind. Theres always a chance, no matter how small.

But really, if you make a mistake, your opponent isnt perfect, he could quite easily make one as well (especially if they get complacent). Its also a really bad habit to form of just giving up when losing - as that bar could start to creep up. Right now its when you accidentally suicide or whatever, it can become just going on tilt when you lose a stock without taking much % etc.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Going on tilt? What's that mean? Something akin to when I said "My brain goes on auto-pilot" I assume?

D

Deleted member 269706

Only when I was against one of the spammers in for glory. I didn't wanna put up with the bull****, so I ended the match as soon as I knew that it was over.

tm730

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4227-1256-0282
anything can happy

i've gotten comeback victories with chari-GOD cause i landed two spikes

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It's not over till its over.

I never suicide...........on purpose XDDD

Unless I'm messing around with friends.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Yeah, I don't purposefully SD. There are times when I forget I don't have my second jump intact, but that isn't intentional.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
Going on tilt? What's that mean? Something akin to when I said "My brain goes on auto-pilot" I assume?
Tilt or "going on tilt" is just getting emotional (in a negative sense) and not use, or try to use, optimal lines of play (its not always possible to play optimally, but most should be trying to, to the best of their ability). If I remember rightly it came from poker, and then went over into games like Magic the Gathering and then into even more mainstream gaming with League of Legends. I dont think I've met a gamer that hasnt experienced it.

You hear a few gamers say "losing helps to deal with it" in games where there are high turnovers of losses (like a smash where you can play ALOT of games in an evening).

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Only in extremely dire and hopeless situations, such as the opponent taking and thoroughly humiliating my first stock without even taking 1% damage.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
ive won games after dying at like ~7% damage. I wont purposely suicide unless you are either playing keepaway and just wasting my time, or its too laggy to bother playing.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
ive won games after dying at like ~7% damage. I wont purposely suicide unless you are either playing keepaway and just wasting my time, or its too laggy to bother playing.
This is pretty much the only time I do it. People playing like that bores me to hell, and it just isn't enjoyable to deal with, or even have to watch.

Redying

Smash Rookie
NNID
redying
Only when I was against one of the spammers in for glory. I didn't wanna put up with the bull****, so I ended the match as soon as I knew that it was over.
Huh, y'know when I saw your avatar I thought you were going to quote Chrom with "Anything can change."

Kikaioh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ParkourSquid
3DS FC
4055-4356-1945
The only times I kill myself are if the lag is unplayably bad, or if my opponent starts goofing around (so I might goof around for a bit too and then SD to move on). Otherwise I always try to see if I can win, even if I accidentally lose a stock and especially if I run into a challenging opponent, if only for a chance to see how far I can push myself in the match.

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
Sometimes I will completely fail (like not double jump because of lag or something) and then for the next two stocks just kill myself as there is no point in even playing because I know I will never catch up. Do any of you do that online ...?
Hell no. Coming back from a deficit is the best feeling ever, and I despise quitting. Sometimes I use it as an excuse to start playing for style, where even if I lose, at least I was still awesome.

Last edited:

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I never throw away a match by killing myself, even if it starts out rough. Comebacks are entirely possible and you never know what could happen. If you made a mistake and killed yourself, it's just as possible to happen to them, and sometimes its even happened to me before where I'll start off rough and take a stock off of my enemy quickly, so I won't be that far behind.

Khao

Smash Lord
That's kind of super silly. Not to mention most probably extremely annoying for your opponent.

You can always try and turn things around.

Deus Ex Machina

Smash Rookie
I stick it out. It's usually less good for my emotional health but I have too much bloodlust and salt. I've had a lot of people do it on me, though. I'm meh about it as the receiving player. Just want to get back to a good game and if you stick around to ensure that, all the better.

Lichi

This is my war snarl
I do the exact opposite. For example yesterday, I got completely trashed by various players, and I always tried to come back. I lost the matches and asked for rematches or looked for the next player who was likely stronger than me (based on a ranking system).

Giving up does not exist in my world of smash.

Iguana

Smash Cadet
I've never done this and I never will, it's completely unacceptable for me, and I also find it disrespectful towards my opponent.

Namefound

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2664-2603-8552
When I do an epic fail, I usually just crouch in shame for a second or two before resuming back to fighting. It's my way of saying "Yeah, I screwed up..."

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've had people do this to me many times, mostly Little Mac players.

I've also had people suicide as soon as they see I am using Rosalina.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
>> SD's once in tournament
>> Oh okay I give up, I'm going home now

>> Character not fun to play against in money match
>> Oh okay, just take my money

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
I'm surprised no one posted the epic comeback from melee yet, showing that there is always a chance..

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I can suicide like a coward

or

I can continue playing and leave with more skills learned than before

Does SD'ing make you better?............... Why yes. You become better at SD's.

If you're going to only wanna play around your skill level, you've pretty much admitted that you don't want to become better. The next time you lose and say "ugh"... just remember you kill yourself.

the8thark

Smash Lord
What's the big issue here? If people Like SDing constantly, let them do it. They paid good money for the game (like we all did), and if that is what they find fun, let them have their fun. The rest of us will try not to SD and get better at the game.

Elixir Soup

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stickkid12
3DS FC
5069-4931-8546
Ok. Now you guys have all said that, I will "try" and make a come back from these sort of things.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
I'm surprised no one posted the epic comeback from melee yet, showing that there is always a chance..
uhh, WHICH comeback...? because Melee's long history has plenty to choose from... the documentary demonstrating some of the most significant of them back then...

back on topic, though, if there's anything I've learned from competitive events, it's that as long as you maintain a level head and adapt, there's always a chance for a win, and the closer you were to losing, the sweeter that win will feel... I mean, shoot, Justin Wong may be a non-Smash example, but I've seen him as the guy who can clutch out wins in the bleakest of matches.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Never have done something like this before and I never will because I don't play that way. Sure you may have less stock left than the other players in a match but that doesn't mean you should just throw in the towel and flush yourself down the drain. Either you make an attempt to make the greatest comeback you've ever had in your life or die trying.

Last edited:

EarthBoundRules

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-0517-2480
I had somebody give up after one grab combo at the start of the match. Yeah.

Anyway, even if you know you most likely won't win the current match, it's valuable to keep playing if only for the extra practice so you'll be better in the next match you play.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Once I got in a match on FG against a Mario player and I was using him too so I was like "Oh hey a Mario ditto! I'm gonna taunt to be nice!" They were standing there waiting for me to approach until I did the up taunt to greet them, when they immediatly did a dash a attack and then spiked me as soon as the match started. When I died from getting spiked they did the exact same taunt I did as if they were mocking me, so I just SDed on purpose since I was salty. In the next match they waited for me to taunt so they could do the same thing, but they just got punished for it. I still lost the second match, but they learned to NEVER make me mad again even if we would probably never face each other again.

Top Bottom