• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you C-stick your aerials?

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
I can't decide whether I prefer C-sticking or just using Joystick+A for aerials. At times it seems helpful to C-stick aerials for retreating Fairs, RARs, and the like, but other times I just feel like having to use Clawing (index finger on Y or X, thumb on C-stick) when wanting to release instant aerials makes me play weird or makes me miss my short hops and accidentally turn them into full hops.

What do you all think? How many of you (and how many pros) C-stick their aerials? Is it helpful? Necessary?

Thanks a ton!

-PS: I do know that you have to either quickly flick the C-stick or set the C-stick to "Attack" to even do a true retreating Fair in Smash4 because of the change to how the C-stick works.

Last edited:

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Most of the time, I don't use the C-stick in order to perform air attacks. I'm used to just using the control stick and the A button.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Using the control stick + A feels more natural and satisfying for me. :-)

I don't use the C-stick too often or at all in the air.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
When I want to dish out immediate aerials, I use y + A and control stick, as I could get both A and Y with my thumb. If I have the luxury of a second or so, I use C-stick.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I use the c-stick for the majority of my aerial attacks. Unless I'm chasing with uairs or fairs (say, Metaknight, for instance), in which case I don't need it.

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
I rarely use the c-stick at all. Unless I need to use a back air while keeping my forward momentum I don't use it.

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
Eh, directionals and A are what I've been used to after all these years so I keep it with that.

_A1

Smash Apprentice
C-stick is so important for spacing aerials correctly. You need it to get max distance since using ctrl-stick+A disrupts your momentum.

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
Robin laughs at your digital aerial inputs.

BluHawk007

Smash Rookie
I use both the c-stick and the analog stick + a button depending on what I'm doing.
For example: I always use Mario's F-air with the analog stick + a button but if I'm approaching as Mario with a short hop u-air I almost always flick the C-stick upwards instead.

I don't really think there is any "best" way to do aerials. Its mostly situational for me because I'm just doing what feels the most natural and comfortable to do.

Dr.Smex

Smash Cadet
C-stick for up airs and down airs. Direction + A for fairs, bairs and nairs.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
C-Stick is great for using Bairs while moveing forward, Fairs while going backward, Fairs while fast falling, etc.

Torisuna

Smash Rookie
I use the c-stick so that my direction in air when I need to DI or change direction isnt influenced the wrong way. Nothing worse then pulling off a down air with some characters off stage and fast falling to the blast zone where the c-stick helps prevent this 90% of the time.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I use the smash stick so that I can control my movement during my aerials without much hassle. Fastfalling and retreating feel a lot easier in particular.

Last edited:

OnettGirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Antagonistgreen
3DS FC
4742-5570-4170
C-stick. It's easier to move around in the air if you just use the C-stick...that and i'm a scrub who uses tap jump.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Depends on the character. You're seriously gimping your game if you don't use it with characters like Marth, but characters like Captain Falcon are actually hurt by using it this time around (because of that horrid, awful locking up bug/glitch which is just about impossible to completely avoid with him). Most characters really need to use it though I'd say. Spacing with it is pretty much essential in this game.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
I pretty much only use C-stick for short-hopped uairs. This is because I have Tap Jump on.

Prawn

Smash Master
Using the cstick ****s up your aerial momentum, not sure about using A. Someone else can elaborate

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Just use what's more comfortable for you.

If there are times when you feel the C-stick is better (such a retreating aerial or a carefully spaced move), then use the C-stick to get that precision.

If you feel it's simpler to just use the Stick + attack button (such as if you're jumping up and need to attack up) then use the stick + attack.

I switch between both, and I do this naturally based on what feels better, not based on me memorizing when it's better to use one over the other.

Omegaphoenix

Smash Apprentice
Using the cstick ****s up your aerial momentum, not sure about using A. Someone else can elaborate
Depends on how you do it actually. Other people probably have explained this better, but the C-stick only hurts momentum if you hold it, due to the macro being set to (Flick Stick + A). If you flick the stick you generally tend to get more accurate aerials, as the c-stick and movement sticks aren't competing over the movement of your character, whereas using the Control stick + A for a retreating Fair or non fastfalling Dair might give problems.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am trying to get used to it because it is easier to bair with the right stick, but left stick + A feels more natural to me. Not to mention I don't know how to use nair with the right stick ._.

Right stick = C stick btw.

Omegaphoenix

Smash Apprentice
IIRC Nairs are possible with c-sticking only if you set the c-stick to attack, rather than smash, and move it diagonally.

Not a fan personally. I like moving forward with a Bair for Pika edgeguards

JHamron

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0688-6427-7438
May be biased, but I don't even use the C-stick ever. In fact, I've never had the GC controller as my main controller. It's only my second now because it's so similar to the 3DS and I've had so much practice on that.

TheGoldMan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheGoldMan
3DS FC
1950-8066-7015
I am trying to get used to it because it is easier to bair with the right stick, but left stick + A feels more natural to me. Not to mention I don't know how to use nair with the right stick ._.

Right stick = C stick btw.
You can't nair with the c stick.

Spirst

IIRC Nairs are possible with c-sticking only if you set the c-stick to attack, rather than smash, and move it diagonally.

Not a fan personally. I like moving forward with a Bair for Pika edgeguards
No, I've done it with smash too.
You can't nair with the c stick.
You sure can. Input the c-stick direction diagonally and it'll register as nair. Or at least I think that's how the method goes. All I know is that you can definitely nair via the c-stick.

FireOfExile

Smash Cadet
NNID
fireofexile
3DS FC
2363-5961-4897
I'm pretty inconsistent with my C-Stick. I'm starting to use it a lot more for smashes when it feels natural. I usually use it with aerials, though.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
C-stick as tilts + Shulk N-airs is gawdlike, I just tried it and it's amazing. So many movement options available. So good

Last edited:

Firehyphen

Can wavedash in Sm4sh.
NNID
Firehyphen
only use c-stick for up smashes and down smashes becuase of melee

Demp

Smash Journeyman
I use both. C stick is great for when your aerial movements oppose which aerial you want to do, like for retreating bairs.

Red5_snt

Smash Cadet
NNID
Red5_snt
3DS FC
5429-7893-3202
I've gotten too used to the 3DS so I honestly forget the C-stick is there when I play the WiiU. In like 90% of my matches I usually yell at some point, "OH CRAP I have a C-stick now!" Even after noticing... I still don't use it. I don't use retreating fair's all that often anyway, and I can still do RAR with control + A. So if it ain't broke....

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
I just feel like having to use Clawing (index finger on Y or X, thumb on C-stick) when wanting to release instant aerials makes me play weird or makes me miss my short hops and accidentally turn them into full hops.
Using a shoulder button for jumping solves the need to claw. Of course on the GC controller, with analog shoulder buttons, this still makes it harder to short hop. I'm told the Pro Controller has shoulder bumpers though, so jumping with the shoulder button + move with the left stick + aerial with the right stick pretty much gives you independent control of all 3 actions (barring right-stick momentum stalling BS).

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
No, but I need to. Granted, the gamepad isn't exactly perfect for it.

When I get the gamecube control I certainly will start to try to use it more. It's important as a Jigglypuff player.

Agro_98

Smash Cadet
NNID
leafsfan98
I use c-stick for most aerials. sometimes I use the control stick and A for fairs and bairs, but mostly I use the c-stick. I don't use the c-stick diagonally for nairs either.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
I only really use the c-stick when performing a dair. Otherwise, I generally prefer using the a button for aerials.

Mindles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMindless
3DS FC
5026-5818-5094
every so often ,might try to incorporate it eventually though

Last edited:
Top Bottom