• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do the new Classic mode and All Star mode sequence satisfy you?

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I mean: When you play the classic mode you already know plus or minus who might be your opponent on the next match. And when you start the all stars mode you know exactly who you are going to fight since the beginning.
In Melee there was more randomness. Or I'm wrong?

:034:

Smash Hero
I don't mind the sequence, I mind who you are fighting 'special' brawls with.

For an instance, now you have two random teams, two random giants, an FFA and one or two team matches.

Where's Yoshi Team? Giant Donkey Kong? The Alloys? Break the Targets two times? They changed Classic a lot, and it's not even freakin' CLASSIC anymore.

All Star is fine, though. I have no complaints against that.

Zevox

Smash Lord
I don't mind at all. I like it better than Melee's, personally. Melee's randomness resulted in some pretty weird match-ups and completely departed from the thematic battles of the original game's 1-player mode. Brawl incorporates the best of both by making the matches thematic, yet not the same every time you play. There can still be a few weird match-ups (I'm teamed with Mario, and our foes are Luigi and Peach?), but by and large they make much more sense than Melee's total randomness.

The only complaint I have with All-Star is that we should have been given an extra heart container. We got 3 for Melee's 25-character All-Star mode, it seems only logical to provide more for the 37-character All-Star mode of Brawl. Other than that, likewise, a great improvement.

Zevox

Angewomon

Smash Apprentice
I love them, more than Melee. Besides, the secuence of Brawl´s Classic Mode reminds me to the Classic Mode of Smash 64.

All i have to say is i miss "board the platforms" they definetly need to bring that back.
I agree, it´s a bonus that would must return.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
The only complaint I have with All-Star is that we should have been given an extra heart container. We got 3 for Melee's 25-character All-Star mode, it seems only logical to provide more for the 37-character All-Star mode of Brawl. Other than that, likewise, a great improvement.

Zevox
Agreed. Considering how powerful items can be in this mode and how cetain boards can gay you out of your stock(read: Port Town, Spear Pillar). Also, Pokemon is overrepresented and we are paying the price for it in this mode.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Well! At least you can train a lot with the same chars in the All Star mode.
I miss Board The Platform too. And... I'm wrong or Run To The Finish doesn't exist anymore?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Well! At least you can train a lot with the same chars in the All Star mode.
I miss Board The Platform too. And... I'm wrong or Run To The Finish doesn't exist anymore?
You are correct, sir. Race to the Finish has been eliminated.

I, personally, am not happy with the sequence. At first, I enjoyed Adventure the most in Melee (as most everybody probably did). But after I got sick of the exact same thing over and over again, despite the adventure stages, I went to Classic, and loved it. It had three different bonuses, it followed the basic structure that SSB64 did (with the type of match) but it was random enough that you could play it multiple times in a row without getting bored. Same was true for All-Star, although I've never been a huge fan of it.

In Brawl, I don't like either of them very much. Both seem to drag on ad nauseam, and both seem too structured. All-Star is the exact same thing over and over again, and Classic is too predictable character-wise, which, while it may seem better to have the same than the type of match, makes it pretty boring. When the character changes, so does the stage. When the type of match changes, that's the only difference.
In any case, Classic has been lengthened and we have two Target Tests now. I mean honestly, does anyone enjoy that? It's not even as if you have diverse Target Tests anymore, if you play on the same level, you play the same Target Tests. No other bonuses to play, just those. All-Star takes way too long, because even though a lot of characters were mixed into one, a lot are also all alone. It takes too long, and it doesn't even change, so you can play it about once a day before you get bored. Also, I know I just complained about length, but why is it that you play versus all three of PT's Pokemon but not versus Zelda and Sheik/Samus and Zero Suit Samus?

All in all, I dislike both of them. The only good part is at least the All-Star trophies are worth getting. Last time they were just random poses with the characters in alternate costumes.

Which brings up another thing, why the heck do you need to play through each mode extra times with some characters to get all of the trophies? Zelda/Sheik came together last time.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The main thing that did upset me is the way Classic Mode worked out. I was hoping for something more like the setup below. Opponents are random, and the skill level that you play determines the skill levels of Target Smash that you'll play too.

Stage 1: 1 vs. 1
Stage 2: 2 vs. 2
Stage 3: Multi-Man Battle (vs. 10)
Bonus 1: Target Smash levels 1-4
Stage 4: 1 vs. 1
Stage 5: 3 vs. 1 (giant)
Stage 6: Multi-Man Battle (vs. 15)
Bonus 2: Target Smash levels 2-5
Stage 7: 1 vs. 1
Stage 8: Multi-Man Battle (vs. 20)
Stage 9: 1 vs. 1 (metal)
Bonus 3: Race to the Finish!!
Stage 10: vs. Fighting Alloy Team (vs. 30)
Stage 11: 1 vs. 3 (free-for-all brawl)
Stage 12: vs. Master Hand (and Crazy Hand if played on Hard or higher)

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The main thing that did upset me is the way Classic Mode worked out. I was hoping for something more like the setup below. Opponents are random, and the skill level that you play determines the skill levels of Target Smash that you'll play too.

I like that. You even threw in new Multi-Man Battles to make it new and interesting. Plus you kept the Fighting Alloy (or in past games Polygon/Wire Frame) Team, which I'm not sure why they took out, especially considering how they improved the Alloys from the Wire Frames.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Those single-player modes have changed for the worse.

Classic mode was great in Melee. Instead of fighting the same opponents over and over, we fought random opponents. It made things interesting especially the special matches. The only problem is that Roy and Ganondorf didn't appear and there was no Board the Platforms (the best bonus in Smash). Here in Brawl, they made more of the special matches (Giant, Team, and Multi-man) plus 3 opponent match before Master Hand which is good. But the opponents are ordered in series and eliminates the randomness that was in Melee. It gets repetitive after a while almost like Smash64's Single-Player mode. They also got rid of all the bonuses (including Race to the Finish) and put in two Target Smashes instead (and they're not unique anymore). There are no fighting Alloys and Master Hand is all of sudden, easier. Another thing that's wrong is facing Crazy Hand. He's harder to get now and it's frustrating especially when the Hand duo are tougher and there tough opponents to be faced in such little time. If you lose to Crazy Hand, you don't get to fight him anymore.

All-Star should've never been in Brawl. It's not random like Melee and is ordered by series (like Brawl Classic mode). It gets boring after a few playthroughs. They should've added the deleted scene from SSE instead of this now useless mode.

neoREgen

Smash Journeyman

That's much better than how it is.

Those single-player modes have changed for the worse.

Classic mode was great in Melee. Instead of fighting the same opponents over and over, we fought random opponents. It made things interesting especially the special matches. The only problem is that Roy and Ganondorf didn't appear and there was no Board the Platforms (the best bonus in Smash). Here in Brawl, they made more of the special matches (Giant, Team, and Multi-man) plus 3 opponent match before Master Hand which is good. But the opponents are ordered in series and eliminates the randomness that was in Melee. It gets repetitive after a while almost like Smash64's Single-Player mode. They also got rid of all the bonuses (including Race to the Finish) and put in two Target Smashes instead (and they're not unique anymore). There are no fighting Alloys and Master Hand is all of sudden, easier. Another thing that's wrong is facing Crazy Hand. He's harder to get now and it's frustrating especially when the Hand duo are tougher and there tough opponents to be faced in such little time. If you lose to Crazy Hand, you don't get to fight him anymore.

All-Star should've never been in Brawl. It's not random like Melee and is ordered by series (like Brawl Classic mode). It gets boring after a few playthroughs. They should've added the deleted scene from SSE instead of this now useless mode.
Completely agree, except I don't have anything against all-star mode other than the predetermined order.
Seriously, if I have to play something 39 times, it better change it up.
There's too much order in both modes. Hopefully they (un-)fix this in the next incarnation. It's just boring now.
And yes, I also miss Race to the Finish and Board the Platforms!

- Subspace (it was cool, but has no replay value for me)
+ More mini game modes, and add a couple character-specific Break the Targets back in. Keep non-character specific BTT and ability to create BTT stages in stage editor.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Completely agree, except I don't have anything against all-star mode other than the predetermined order.
Seriously, if I have to play something 39 times, it better change it up.
There's too much order in both modes. Hopefully they (un-)fix this in the next incarnation. It's just boring now.
And yes, I also miss Race to the Finish and Board the Platforms!

- Subspace (it was cool, but has no replay value for me)
+ More mini game modes, and add a couple character-specific Break the Targets back in. Keep non-character specific BTT and ability to create BTT stages in stage editor.
I completely agree.

Also, your solution for Target Test is awesome.

...Come to think of it, why don't they let us create all types of Stadium stuff? Think about it; what if they let us create our own Race to the Finish, our own Board the Platforms, Target Test...heck, they wouldn't even need to give us the modes themselves, they could just give us a "Stadium Editor" which would have a huge template, the normal pieces you can use for building, and add in Platforms, Doors, and Targets. Once you place one of them in, the other ones will become unplaceable, at least until you remove that piece/any others.

/optimistic idea

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion, the only good thing they did with those modes is add the free-for-all fight in classic and the same BTT levels for everyone. That being said, I still think there should be a character specific BTT level. Everything else they changed was for the worse IMO.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
You know the irony? Now the all stars mode is predictable as the classic mode in Super Smash Bros. 64. So they could put THEM in the original sequence (with few variations), leaving the classic mode more ramdom.

triforce1313

Smash Rookie
In my opinion what they should do is add is one character specific target test per character and only have like 4 different levels of target tests.

The thing I don't like about this classic is there are too many special fights not enough straight 1 vs. 1

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
In my opinion what they should do is add is one character specific target test per character and only have like 4 different levels of target tests.

The thing I don't like about this classic is there are too many special fights not enough straight 1 vs. 1
Yeah, that's a good point.

You have maybe one regular match, just 1 vs. 1 the whole time. Two if you're very lucky. The rest are Metal, or Giant, or Team. Why do they think we enjoy that so much?

lord_luigi

Smash Cadet
Classic: Isn't as boring as All-Star, but still repetitive. Lack of Board the Platforms makes me sad, but I don't mind. What I do mind is that it lacks Race to the Finish, the Alloys, etc. Come on, put in a Home-Run Contest for all I care, just not another Target test. Melee had 11 stages (including bonuses), Brawl has 14 stages. Crazy Hand is also much harder to reach.

All-Star: We went from 13 levels to about 17, there's nothing special in the Olimar battle (save for a second Olimar in 2P), and we still have only 3 hearts with tons more people to fight. What I don't get is why you fight all three of PT's Pokemon, but you don't fight Zelda/Sheik seperately and Samus/ZSS seperately. It's much longer with 12 more runthroughs that last time to do.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord

You have maybe one regular match, just 1 vs. 1 the whole time. Two if you're very lucky. The rest are Metal, or Giant, or Team. Why do they think we enjoy that so much?
Because an artificial intelligence is not enought comparable to a real intelligence, on a 1 VS 1 level, and it would turn out boring and prevedible after many single matches.
However, since Mario_and_Sonic_Guy felt free to write down is own ideal sequence, I feel free to add mine:

1st stage: 1 VS 1
2nd stage: 2 VS 2
3rd stage: 3 VS 1 GIANT
1st bonus: Target Test
4th stage: 1 VS 10
5th stage: 1 VS 1 VS 1
6th stage: 1 VS 1
2nd bonus: Board The Platform OR Target Test 2
7th stage: 1 VS 20
8th stage: 1 VS 1
9th stage: 1 VS 1 VS 1 VS 1
3rd bonus: Race To The Finish OR Home Run Contest OR Target Test 3 (only if came Target Test 2 in the previous bonus)
10th stage: 1 VS 30
11th: 1 VS 1 Metal
12th stage: 1 VS Master Hand

The 4th and the 6th stage might be inverted or both 1 VS 1.
The 7th and the 8th stage might be inverted or both 1 VS 1.

tafutureboy

Smash Ace

because metal mario was "cool" back in the day.

lets recap on the past games

64-Metal mario and giant DK....thats it
melee- giant fight, 2 on 2 and a metal fight
Brawl-metal fights 4 team matches....it just never ends

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Because an artificial intelligence is not enought comparable to a real intelligence, on a 1 VS 1 level, and it would turn out boring and prevedible after many single matches.
However, since Mario_and_Sonic_Guy felt free to write down is own ideal sequence, I feel free to add mine:

4th stage: 1 VS 10
6th stage: 1 VS 1
7th stage: 1 VS 20
8th stage: 1 VS 1
3rd bonus: Race To The Finish OR Home Run Contest OR Target Test 3 (only if came Target Test 2 in the previous bonus)

The 4th and the 6th stage might be inverted or both 1 VS 1.
The 7th and the 8th stage might be inverted or both 1 VS 1.
I didn't say NO Special Brawls, just less. I'm playing Classic right now (only one character away from the "All Characters"/"All Trophies" Challenge) and it's Me + Wolf vs. Fox and Falco, Olimar (normal), Team ROB, Giant Snake...it's stupid, you barely have a break.

Actually, your ideal order sounds great to me. Variety, some Special battles, but not repetitve Special battles.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Actually, your ideal order sounds great to me. Variety, some Special battles, but not repetitve Special battles.
I didn't say NO Special Brawls, just less. I'm playing Classic right now (only one character away from the "All Characters"/"All Trophies" Challenge) and it's Me + Wolf vs. Fox and Falco, Olimar (normal), Team ROB, Giant Snake...it's stupid, you barely have a break.

Thanks! Originally I had thought of this alternative sequences:

4th stage: 1 VS 1
6th stage: 1 VS 10
7th stage: 1 VS 1
8th stage: 1 VS 20

And I couldn't decide which one was better.
But then I thought: "Hey! Why should't the Wii be able to choose ramdomly among thes two?" And then and I went even further.
It would be kinda like the sequence of Super Smash Bros. Melee. But better!

For the All Stars Match I would have used plus or minus the same system of Melee:
Five matches versus one opponent, four matches versus two opponents, three matches versus three opponents, two matches versus four opponents and the final match versus five opponents.
But in a tag team way like in Mortal Kombat 1.
I mean: when you play against many opponents, you don't fight against all them together, but in a sequence without a break.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Thanks! Originally I had thought of this alternative sequences:

4th stage: 1 VS 1
6th stage: 1 VS 10
7th stage: 1 VS 1
8th stage: 1 VS 20

And I couldn't decide which one was better.
But then I thought: "Hey! Why should't the Wii be able to choose ramdomly among thes two?" And then and I went even further.
It would be kinda like the sequence of Super Smash Bros. Melee. But better!

For the All Stars Match I would have used plus or minus the same system of Melee:
Five matches versus one opponent, four matches versus two opponents, three matches versus three opponents, two matches versus four opponents and the final match versus five opponents.
But in a tag team way like in Mortal Kombat 1.
I mean: when you play against many opponents, you don't fight against all them together, but in a sequence without a break.
Good system with All-Star too. Adds actual variety, instead of the same order every single time. (Seriously, I have no clue how I'm going to play through that 37 times...already played through it with some people, but jeez...)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Wanted to explain more about how Stage 12 would work out.

If you play Classic on Easy or Normal, you'll only face Master Hand. However, to spice things up, if you play Classic on Hard-Intense, you must face Master Hand AND Crazy Hand together.

In other words, it doesn't matter if you take over 9 minutes to get there or if you took a continue, you'll have to deal with both hands in the end.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
How the heck is classic mode "classic"? They changed it. It's not the same anymore. They should've stuck with a more classic format similar to the other two. I don't like it. It feels too long to me too. It's longer. All-Stars good, I like it. Especially since it's in order of their release I really like that idea.

Events was kinda boring in my opinion. Beat it in like.. an hour... on hard. Yeah, it was boring. Events in Melee > Events in Brawl. Coin Launcher owns the lottery. The Lottery was lame. Hmm... idk anything else.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
are you sure you fight crazy hand even if you continue?
Yes.

The only reason you seemingly don't fight him if you continue is that it takes extra time to redo a match once you've continued, so you usually don't fulfill the time requirement if you continue.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I guess Nintendo HAS to do a fourth episode, and with more modes to grant all tastes.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Regarding All-Star Mode, it should've been random, just like with Boss Battles. Of course, the opponents that you fight can sometimes be sorted by different categories. I have a few category examples.

Friendly Warriors: Peach, Yoshi, Jigglypuff, Toon Link

Smash Villains: Bowser, Ganondorf, King Dedede, Wolf

Basic Brawlers: Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu

Space Heroes: Samus, Fox, Captain Falcon

Sidekick Brawlers: Luigi, Diddy Kong, Falco

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Regarding All-Star Mode, it should've been random, just like with Boss Battles. Of course, the opponents that you fight can sometimes be sorted by different categories. I have a few category examples.

Friendly Warriors: Peach, Yoshi, Jigglypuff, Toon Link

Smash Villains: Bowser, Ganondorf, King Dedede, Wolf

Basic Brawlers: Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu

Space Heroes: Samus, Fox, Captain Falcon

Sidekick Brawlers: Luigi, Diddy Kong, Falco
This reminds me of Fighters Megamix.
Well, the whole Super Smash Bros. series has something in common with Fighters Megamix.

Top Bottom