• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do I have to move on from Link to stay competitive?

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
Like many of you here, Link has been my primary main in 64 and melee.

He is one of my mains in Brawl, and he's the main that I have the most control over and know inside out. To stay competitive do I have to stop maining Link, I win with Link more than any other character (other than Zelda my primary main), so in that sense I should continue playing as Link since I am good with him.

However, should I stop playing with Link because there might be a wall I hit due to Link being bad and there's only so good that he can be?

PS: For some reason I'm better at Link than Young Link so don't give me that advice, but mabye that's just because I've played Link for so much longer...

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
you must KNOW what you're about to hear in response to this...

people will tell you to pick the character that you like best and forget about tiers because they don't matter

that or link is amazing because they beat their ten year old brother with him all the time.

this IS the link forum

what i'm going to say is different:

it's nice to love a girl for who she is.
but if you happen to love somebody with some buoyant t-i-t-t-i-e-s and a round a-s-s, isn't that just better in every way?

just don't ask us that. dumb question IMO.

and it is STILL early yet.

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
it's nice to love a girl for who she is.
but if you happen to love somebody with some buoyant t-i-t-t-i-e-s and a round a-s-s, isn't that just better in every way?
Absolutely not. Because then said woman is probably really slutty and has had her pooch ravaged by every male imaginable.

That aside, I'm going to tell you to play who you think is your favorite, screw everything else. It's just a game for the love of god.

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely not. Because then said woman is probably really slutty and has had her pooch ravaged by every male imaginable.

That aside, I'm going to tell you to play who you think is your favorite, screw everything else. It's just a game for the love of god.
...Yeah ;[

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman

I'm guessing theChene is right and this is a bad place to post this question,

thanks for saying "its just a game have fun!!11!!" when I asked what's the best decision from a competitive standpoint... ( I will probably end up just doing what I like, but I still want to be informed when deciding on what to do)

Forlin

Smash Cadet
Well, if Link at his best isn't as good as other characters at their best, you either play as Link and stay a level above your competitors in skill, or get a new character.

Right?

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
I think playing a couple of different characters can teach you more about your main than you'd imagine. Personally, I have expanded my Link game by improving my Pit game and Snake game. Understanding why Link is different allows you to better exploit his strengths and mitigate his weaknesses.

I have started a Link counterpick thread here: click me. I hope people can contribute to it, and eventually answer your question in this thread.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610

well then

same can be said about metaknight and snake

their "pooch" shall be ravaged many times. those dirty w-hores are gonna be ALL over the tournament scene.

s-luts

so get one of those decent looking girls who you can rely on... like DK

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
well then

same can be said about metaknight and snake

their "pooch" shall be ravaged many times. those dirty w-hores are gonna be ALL over the tournament scene.

s-luts

so get one of those decent looking girls who you can rely on... like DK
Not to mention, women fitting lower standards often tend to be bitter over the fact and become just as slutty to deny reality; all that the man need to do is get drunk or use some paper bags.

And "pooch" sounds incredibly unappealing.

OGsloane

Smash Rookie
Hmm... Im pretty new here but i play link and i would say stick with it become great and embarass others with a link three stock. He is actually not a bad character, IMO, other than his pretty bad recovery.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
Teirs matter, anyone tells you otherwise they are ********.

But knowing your character is more important than the teir list.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YnCXJx4dAWg

First two matches in this crew battle is the best example I can give. If you win the most with Link, pick link. Learn more about him and make him better.

Fox was the best in melee, but he was way to fast for me to control, so I stuck with Shiek and Link (lol right?)

Linkguy

Smash Cadet
I personally love wiping the floor with high tier characters using underdogs such as link. But thats just me, use whomever you will get the most satisfaction out of.

OGsloane

Smash Rookie
Yea just use link if you like him. Theres a member on this forums named Deva who wins tourneys and has beaten some notable people with link. Its too early to have a definitive tier yet, IMO. Oh and this doesn't portain, but to give you hope check out some melee videos of the link player ISAI, i think his name was.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
I personally love wiping the floor with high tier characters using underdogs such as link. But thats just me, use whomever you will get the most satisfaction out of.
Honostely I don't think Link is really an underdog. People think Link is still mid or low tier but he's really better than that. I hardly ever play as Link but my friend mains him and is really good. Link isn't that high on tier lists right now but that's only because he's hard to use and not too many people play him yet. It'll take some time but eventually Link should end up in the high tier. So if you want to play competitive Link is perfectly fine choice, especially if your good with him.

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
TL is definitely better than Link, but I don't see any reason why Link himself can't be upper middle tier/high tier. His only glaring flaws are recovery and aerial maneuverability, but even then they're not that grave. The people who say he's low tier obviously haven't tried Jigglypuff/Peach/Ganon/CFalco/Bowser.

Linkguy

Smash Cadet
Honostely I don't think Link is really an underdog. People think Link is still mid or low tier but he's really better than that. I hardly ever play as Link but my friend mains him and is really good. Link isn't that high on tier lists right now but that's only because he's hard to use and not too many people play him yet. It'll take some time but eventually Link should end up in the high tier. So if you want to play competitive Link is perfectly fine choice, especially if your good with him.
I agree to an extent. I believe hes actually around mid tier(high tier may be stretching it a bit), and not bottom tier. People just dont take the time to get good at him, and not enough people use him cuz hes somewhat stereotyped as a bad character for whatever reason. We may know how good he can be, but most ppl out there dont. So its always fun to turn ppls belief systems upside down by beating their Pit or Mk over and over again with him.

But the bottom line is, it's just a game. Brawl is balanced enough to give whomever you decide to main a chance to win if your good. So seriously dude, just use who you like.

Blad01

Smash Lord
If you really like Link, you should continue to play him. Besides that, if people consider him like a bad character, they won't know him. So, in tournaments, you could surprise a lot of persons :)

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
TL is definitely better than Link, but I don't see any reason why Link himself can't be upper middle tier/high tier. His only glaring flaws are recovery and aerial maneuverability, but even then they're not that grave. The people who say he's low tier obviously haven't tried Jigglypuff/Peach/Ganon/CFalco/Bowser.
I don't agree that Toon Link is better than Link. It seems to me that Link has better arrows and bombs and obviously a better boomerang. His attacks really aren't much slower than TL's. It's true Link's recovery isn't great but he makes up for it by being fairly heavy. Link's weight will probably save you quite a bit more than TL's better recovery.

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
I don't agree that Toon Link is better than Link. It seems to me that Link has better arrows and bombs and obviously a better boomerang. His attacks really aren't much slower than TL's. It's true Link's recovery isn't great but he makes up for it by being fairly heavy. Link's weight will probably save you quite a bit more than TL's better recovery.
TL can shoot 2 arrows instead of 1 with arrow cancel. His boomerang does more damage and stuns upon return, not to mention the fact that it doesn't ruin your spam game by accidentally pulling the opponent in. Link's arrows don't go as far, but they're faster (same damage as TL, which is preposterous; I cannot begin to understand why they felt that a child should be as strong as its adult version). Link's Dair sucks compared to TL's. TL's usmash and uair kill at lower percentages than Link's. Link's fsmash kills at the same low range that TL's fsmash does, but does not need to be a 2-hit follow up. TL's upB is far better for both recovery and offensive purposes. TL is more maneuverable on the air, and his aerials are considerably better. TL has approach options; Link's are severely limited.

I think Link can be put on high middle tier/high tier, but TL definitely outranks him.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
If you fell using Ike is too hazardous compared to someone who isn't garbz, then go on right ahead, but dont ask us, it's your choice. You think the community's opinion's lead Gimpy to main Bowser?

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
People think falco is really high on the tier list but I beat my 2 year old sister regularly and that must obviously mean that he sucks. LolRofl Falco always walks off the cliff! what a horrible char!!11

/sarcasm

thanks for all the replies guys, hope this thread helps other Link fans on the edge of maining Link or not. For me... well I'm still on the edge, I like playing as Link, but whats the point if I get @nal ***** by chars like Pit + Falco (against ppl with LESS skill...), and get even by Dedede!?

By Blad01:
If you really like Link, you should continue to play him. Besides that, if people consider him like a bad character, they won't know him. So, in tournaments, you could surprise a lot of persons :)
Well I know a lot about him, and I DO win like 2000/1 matches but thats mostly because I outrank anyone who I play. I'll probably get destroyed by someone who's the same skill level and plays a Snake or Pit. For instance, I can beat my friend with ANY of his best chars if I am "Random," ALWAYS, but when I'm Link and he's Olimar, he wins almost half the time (AGH I HATE PIKMIN)

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
TL can shoot 2 arrows instead of 1 with arrow cancel. His boomerang does more damage and stuns upon return, not to mention the fact that it doesn't ruin your spam game by accidentally pulling the opponent in. Link's arrows don't go as far, but they're faster (same damage as TL, which is preposterous; I cannot begin to understand why they felt that a child should be as strong as its adult version). Link's Dair sucks compared to TL's. TL's usmash and uair kill at lower percentages than Link's. Link's fsmash kills at the same low range that TL's fsmash does, but does not need to be a 2-hit follow up. TL's upB is far better for both recovery and offensive purposes. TL is more maneuverable on the air, and his aerials are considerably better. TL has approach options; Link's are severely limited.

I think Link can be put on high middle tier/high tier, but TL definitely outranks him.
Maybe your right. My friend is insane with Link and I haven't seen anyone even come close to him with TL. Whatever, they're both very solid characters.

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
Lol, just about everyone in here fails.

Tiers matter for one reason: When the tier list is more or less completely solid (like Melee), you have to be way, way over exceptionally better than the best player with a higher tier, to beat them with a lower tier character.

Also, to people who said to look for the Melee Link player Isai, you're bad.
Look for the Link player Aniki in Melee.
He was THE BEST Link player, hands-down. He defied just about every rule in Melee and he won out tournaments with Link.

Link in Brawl isn't bad. He has just enough going for him to be able to compete, but you have to be able to play a patient, mind-numbing, extremely smart game.
If all three of those don't come into play, you will not win with Link.

And then there's the threat of his recovery.
Yeah, I went there.
LINK'S RECOVERY IS AWFUL.

-Nox`

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Nah, play with who you like, Link isnt thaaaaat bad . Besides, Artof Link, watch it, do it. :)

OGsloane

Smash Rookie
I didn't say he was the best, but i don't really care. I just mentioned it as an example of how skill can overcome a tier.

Legan

Smash Lord
The thing about link is that you have to work 3 times as hard as your opponent to win. Youll spend half the time flipping and rolling around your opponent searching for an oppening to throw a projectile while also having to dodge a crapload. If you even slightly stale his killing moves then your royally screwed when it comes time to finish your opponent. Ive been playing brawl at what is considered a really high level of competitive play and from what ive found is that link wont cut it on knowledge of advance techniques and skill alone. Youll have to throughly know each character matchup while also knowing how/when to apply his techniques. If your dedicated enough to learn about every single character matchup while also practicing your *** off against the entire roster, then yea you should stick with link.

m0ng00se

Smash Rookie
Link can win. I three stocked a competitive Shiek with Link. Shiek's supposed to be high on the tiers, no? The craziest ******* TL I've ever seen two stocked me but I had him at like 100% on his last life.

You're just going to be going through hell and a half beating a three quarters decent Metaknight on final destination.

Everyone else who I've gotten to play against in a competitive environment played lame characters like Ike, so I don't have too much more experience with specific high-tier characters, but I know victory is definitely possible.

Learn the bad matchups. Learn them extremely well, learn how to DI out of the most painful combos, learn what tactics leave them open to a sword to the face.

Never, ever, <i>ever</i> pick Final Destination if you can pick a map with platforms. Link's weaknesses become that much more pronounced on big, flat maps. Most tourney tards suck at fastfalling through platforms so you can use that, combined with Link's excellent fastfalling, to your advantage. The nature of Link's projectile game lets you spam from practically anywhere on the map if you're good at the timing and arcing of the different projectiles. The same guy you just barely beat on FD will cry when you fight him on Battlefield.

Winning consistently with Link requires you to be like, 3 degrees more insane than your opponent, and like 7 degrees more insane than a winged character.

You ever play a Zelda game? Fight every bad matchup as though they were a boss. Not dying should be priority #1. Wait for a chance to use your specials. Use your specials to open them up for swording.

tGwarr10r

Smash Apprentice
hmmm bumping near-month old topics... interesting
but i say any character can be good in the right hands, it just takes more skill for link. He's not completely outclassed against the 'top tiers' (meta/snake) like he was in melee, in brawl link has a chance against the best characters in the game, i say if your a true link fanboy (anyone that uses him in brawl i'd assume lol) you should stick with him and let your skill show just how good you are, don't quit one character because ones better than another, use who you like. Deva's an example about how well link can do in tournaments (sry deva i know u hate the fanboyism if u read this but its true) link can be good, if you want him to be.

m0ng00se

Smash Rookie
i meant the life he killed me with, lol
the one he used during his last attack

so yes, bad grammar

Top Bottom